New Board Software, New Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

C00Lzero

Administrator
Conqueror
Aug 14, 2010
new information on the quick-reply-button:
The actual forum-time is now visible there.

time.JPG

This is in the hope, that the time-rules can be seen better (since atm there are a few reports where they are only a few hours away to be allowed to post)

I think the quick-reply is enough, since for link-dumping that's probably what is used.

C00Lzero

Administrator
Conqueror
Aug 14, 2010
as a few of you might have noticed.
we are now serving all pages via https.

This means all thumbnails and pictures, not uploaded to our servers or not supporting https, will be cached by our servers to ensure https-compatibility.

Everything should work as usual.
But - we can't be that sure, especially with some add-ons. Please report everything that's somehow buggy.

as a matter of fact, window XP with Internet-Explorer isn't supported anymore - please use firefox or even better, upgrade your system.

The Tests now shows us A+ grades (except one - i have already fixed this )
akiba_ssllabs.JPG

i'm sorry for the downtime. i've messed up some settings, so the system crashed, due to wrong pathes ^^'

Mar 28, 2008
Great work COOLzero!!!:blink:

I was trying to log in and I usually just have it automatic but it wasnt doing anything at all so I noticed this thread and it was the change of http to https that wasnt triggering that saved username and password.

Probably would have gone not knowing if it wasnt for that. :ehem:

zoolanimal

jav fisting connoisseur
Apr 29, 2009
hey COOLzero,

in one or more of the older bc versions of the forum software used at akiba-online was a handy little check box that eliminated your signature. particularly handy of screwballs like me [with bigger signatures] that like to communicate without signature on occasion in a post or pm - i expect it would save some space. any chance XenForo can support such a feature? or is it there already and i haven't figured it out?

C00Lzero

Administrator
Conqueror
Aug 14, 2010
hey COOLzero,

in one or more of the older bc versions of the forum software used at akiba-online was a handy little check box that eliminated your signature. particularly handy of screwballs like me [with bigger signatures] that like to communicate without signature on occasion in a post or pm - i expect it would save some space. any chance XenForo can support such a feature? or is it there already and i haven't figured it out?
you can only disable or enable signatures globally.
there isn't an option to add it only to some posts. sorry.

zoolanimal

jav fisting connoisseur
Apr 29, 2009

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
as a few of you might have noticed.
we are now serving all pages via https.

This means all thumbnails and pictures, not uploaded to our servers or not supporting https, will be cached by our servers to ensure https-compatibility.

Everything should work as usual.
But - we can't be that sure, especially with some add-ons. Please report everything that's somehow buggy.

as a matter of fact, window XP with Internet-Explorer isn't supported anymore - please use firefox or even better, upgrade your system.

The Tests now shows us A+ grades (except one - i have already fixed this )
View attachment 435870

i'm sorry for the downtime. i've messed up some settings, so the system crashed, due to wrong pathes ^^'
Ah, okay, I had some problems accessing the forum 9 or 10 hours ago (using mobile Internet). Back then I also realized that the forum is working on HTTPS, but I wasn't sure if you switched it earlier, but I simply didn't noticed it.

C00Lzero

Administrator
Conqueror
Aug 14, 2010
Due to some very strange behaviour of the russian government,
russian ips are now blocked on our russian server.
if you sometimes experience 403-errors, please use another ip, proxy or tor-exit-node.

atm only russian ips are blocked out accessing akiba

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
The site is somehow slow on my mobile Internet since it supports HTTPS. I guess it is because of the proxy functionality.
The alert page as well as the forum overview page is no problem. Also the media pages. But if I open a thread containing external pictures it takes years.
Maybe it is because of the limit of maximum connections to one host in my browser. As long as all of these were external links the browser used a lot more connections in parallel. But now all connection go to AO.
I didn't have any deeper look in it, so it's more a guessing.

If I use my Internet at home it is no problem at all. Maybe it doesn't matter in this case as every resource is loaded very fast. So the connection limit is no problem at all.

Reactions: CoolKevin

C00Lzero

Administrator
Conqueror
Aug 14, 2010
it's probably slow due to some errors on one of our frontend servers.
they are a bit picky about some of our content and threatened us to leak info to some authorities. The Server is disabled, but chompy needs to remove it from the DNS-System.
and DMCA is now going new ways, since they can't directly write to us, they now writing the uplink-ISPs of our DNS-Servers, which will then force us to act.
we are looking out for alternatives >.<

Reactions: CoolKevin

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Another things: Caching.
Before AO switched to HTTPS I could do the following thing:
If an image didn't load (completely) I opened it in an extra tab (only the image) and did a hard reload / refresh.
After that I reloaded the thread page and - tatatataaa - the image was there (completely) without being loaded a 2nd time.
Now it doesn't matter if I do that. My browser tries to load the image again if I refresh the thread page.
I assume that it doesn't get the necessary information from the proxy for doing the caching.
As it doesn't reload the images in the thread which have been already loaded I guess the browser has some best effort strategy which doesn't work for the image in the extra tab.

BTW: I use the current Firefox version.

C00Lzero

Administrator
Conqueror
Aug 14, 2010
could you link me the missing images? (or even better, the tread?)

with the proxy-thingy we have to do, we are caching the picture. If they had problems or are blocking our servers, we will cache some error-images. If you request them (doesn't matter if hard-refresh or a normal query) it will be served from the servers cache.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
could you link me the missing images? (or even better, the tread?)

with the proxy-thingy we have to do, we are caching the picture. If they had problems or are blocking our servers, we will cache some error-images. If you request them (doesn't matter if hard-refresh or a normal query) it will be served from the servers cache.
The images are not missing and I also don't get error-images. They just loaded only half. I had that problem with my mobile Internet already before. Maybe because it's too slow.
But now I also have the problem - like I described in my post before - that the caching doesn't work correctly. Maybe some of the HTTP headers are not passed through correctly.

C00Lzero

Administrator
Conqueror
Aug 14, 2010
going to look into this, asap the other problems are solved

C00Lzero

Administrator
Conqueror
Aug 14, 2010
sorry for the delay.
the upgrade should only take around 30minutes - now it was quite a bit longer, due to some strange behaviour of the scripts, nginx and our db-cluster

we are now (nearly) at the newest xenforo-version as well as some other plugins.
the plugin, that will force you to use filejoker-links is now enforcint the link only when creating new threads (i hope i haven't missed out a download-section ^^')
the tags are back - temporarily. i first want to check the strain on the database.
Some internal errors are resolved regarding the proxy-script with thread-previews.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Did you have some time to look in that proxy / caching problem?

Another thing I realized: Not only some sites having problems that many requests are coming from the AO servers because or the AO proxy, also the browsers are having - maybe not really problems, but some disadvantages - with it:
As the AO proxy is not a real proxy - I mean one you enter in your browser settings - it's handled like a normal server, like AO. And there is a maximum of connections your browser establishes to a certain server (Firefox uses 6 by default). So loading takes much more time as - independent how many embedded external resources a thread has - only 6 connections are used while a lot more have been used before that proxy was introduced.
That is a not a bug or a real problem. And I think there is no real solution for it (okay, you can set up the maximum of connections in your browser, but that would be for every server, not only AO). I just wanted to mention it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.