NEW SERVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
as you can see we are moving to a new server, because of the amount of posts we have, this was our best option, to free up bottlenecks and speed it up at peak times it could take 2-3 days, but of course software is a funny thing,

anything that is written posted, and even members who join now, will NOT BE TRANSFERED

of course will we keep you all up to date, as to what is happening,

I would save the new posts for a couple of days,

Reactions: 13 people
Mar 28, 2008
I am confused as to what u mean by wrtitten posted. Soooo does that mean anything in general? Includes posts with download links and such?

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
I am confused as to what u mean by wrtitten posted. Soooo does that mean anything in general? Includes posts with download links and such?

I guess that means EVERY data which is entered into the AO database from the moment coolkevin wrote his post. Maybe they did a complete backup which coolkevin and chompy will use for set-up the forum software at the new server.

Having a new - and faster - server is a great news! :gayprance:
... also this post will "disappear" in the new forum...

Reactions: 2 people

Electromog

Akiba Citizen
Dec 7, 2009
Great news, the server got really slow for me unless it was really late or really early.

bpx

Sep 19, 2009
I'm glad there will be a new server. I'm skeptic if it will really fix the load issues it had for years...but we can hope right.

Wouldn't it just be better to put the forum in maintenance mode or read-only or something for the time being? Especially because I guess many people don't really pay attention to the top banner as it always says something about the uploader rules and can't be bothered to actually check the announcements very often. Chances are people put up new downloads and maybe even put a lot of work into it not being aware that the stuff will be lost soon.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007

a couple have said, perhaps written and posted would have been a better choice of words,

I guess that means EVERY data which is entered into the AO database from the moment coolkevin wrote his post. Maybe they did a complete backup which coolkevin and chompy will use for set-up the forum software at the new server.

... also this post will "disappear" in the new forum...

maybe, assume it will, it depends how the back up is done, something is first and something is last

I'm glad there will be a new server. I'm skeptic if it will really fix the load issues it had for years...but we can hope right.

Wouldn't it just be better to put the forum in maintenance mode or read-only or something for the time being? Especially because I guess many people don't really pay attention to the top banner as it always says something about the uploader rules and can't be bothered to actually check the announcements very often. Chances are people put up new downloads and maybe even put a lot of work into it not being aware that the stuff will be lost soon.

Skeptic, very true, we do not know, until it happens, but the biggest problem is vbulletin, they made themselves a name, and not improved, in fact got worse, but we did look at other software to power the board, and it was migrating everything was a serious problem

we could have changed the mode, and we did discuss it, but it was decided, to keep it open, because of the length of time it could take, and to give you a chance for responses here, we are hoping the time given is the worst case scenario

Please don't lose the attachments again :sweaty:

no they have not been lost this time, most things are fine, it is them characters that vb keep screwing up, (that was the first try and see version)

Also we are looking at new searching software

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 11 people

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Soooo, why didn't you just shut down the fucking forum until the new server is up?!? I mean really? What was the point of keeping it open if you are going to lose all new posts? I don't mean to be rude but what possible reason is there for not taking the site off-line until the new server is up? The logic bewilders me. When I first noticed this thread I didn't even think to read it........now I almost wish I didn't.

See you guys in a week or so when you got everything sorted out.

cattz

(◣_◢)
Jun 11, 2007
Well, it's not like this is the first time stuff has been lost.

I'm still finding it hard to "jump back in" after the last big change, heh.

This is miniscule after that, heh.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
Soooo, why didn't you just shut down the fucking forum until the new server is up?!? I mean really? What was the point of keeping it open if you are going to lose all new posts? I don't mean to be rude but what possible reason is there for not taking the site off-line until the new server is up? The logic bewilders me. When I first noticed this thread I didn't even think to read it........now I almost wish I didn't.

See you guys in a week or so when you got everything sorted out.

it is still supplying a service, and a very useful, it still gives those a chance to download and make comments here, and I will assume everybody will know this will not survive

so please no bitterness

garbro77

Oct 15, 2010
I'm happy to hear that the attachments will probably not be lost this time. After the last recent crash, I had to get new NZB's for everything in my huge Usenet thread & upload them; not much point to the thread without them. If the Chinese title characters get messed up again like they did recently, that's an easy copy/paste from my notes to fix my thread.
BTW, I really appreciate the fact that I can edit my stuff long after posting it. I have no problem with keeping it live, as long as the forum makes it possible.
Happy move, & best of luck!

Reactions: 1 person

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
new sever is up now, we are waiting for DNS to resolve itself

we are getting database errors, but it maybe due it is getting used to a hammering

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
we are back again, because of a database collapse we had to restart the server, and took all this from the old server, the DNS is updating again, and the database is rebuilding, sotty for all those posts lost in the last 36 hours

chompy has worked really on this

Status
Not open for further replies.