Share FAQ

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
If there is no sources available for the missing blocks, it may take any time (forever?) to get through...
Share has to find a source for the blocks, then to put you in the queue of the source (you would see a number in the "Order" column), and finally to transfer the missing data, once the queue is over.
In your capture I don't see any source.

diomedes

OverCaffeinated Libertine
Jan 9, 2007
Looks like they are goners. :wetland: ah well.... thank for that

I've been trying to put some hash codes into the Share program a few times today, and decided i am not getting anywhere with it. What am i doing wrong?

I copy the share hash, open up the trigger window, put the code, it appears to accept it, but the file never starts downloading. I'm puzzled because i know the file is recent, and i just sit here waiting for it to happen. Is there anything i'm missing?

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
Looks like they are goners. :wetland: ah well.... thank for that

I've been trying to put some hash codes into the Share program a few times today, and decided i am not getting anywhere with it. What am i doing wrong?

I copy the share hash, open up the trigger window, put the code, it appears to accept it, but the file never starts downloading. I'm puzzled because i know the file is recent, and i just sit here waiting for it to happen. Is there anything i'm missing?

Everything you did is correct. The only thing you can "optimize" is the set of keywords you use for cluster words, because Share search in priority in nodes matching the cluster words. And putting too much of them doesn't help, apparently.

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008

diomedes

Jan 9, 2007
Um, i've recently given up on share, though i'm back here to make another effort to make it work for me:

1st time i used, it was amazing, scored me a new Yukari Nakai DVD iso, and i could not have been more thrilled, but then it stopped working altogether. New downloads just don't work at all. Not even a little. I have no idea why, but i'm convinced there's a problem. Can someone offer some troubleshooting solution?

thanks

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
"you need to specify a download, upload, and cache folder."

Maybe the cache directory was renamed, deleted or something wrong happened to it.

Thanks, but I already have an associated cache folder, it hasn't been renamed or deleted. I did notice that it had 0 free space, so I have increased the size of the folder significantly. I thought this must be the problem, but I still get the same error message.

diomedes

Jan 9, 2007
bump

I don't know if people missed it or not, but me prev post. Can i get some suggestions on troubleshooting or at the very least somewhere where i can get that kind of assistance. Share just won't work anymore, no idea why.

thx, srry 4 da bmp:victim:

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
The availability of any file depends on how long ago it was shared, how many sources are still sharing it. I have 7 files waiting to trigger since forever.

As a test, you can take a file recently posted on 2ch, for example in this category:

http://www.sharedb.info/index.php/cat-DVDISO/

And see if it triggers after a while.

Wakanda

Oct 16, 2009
Hello, first time Share user here. I've taken the time to read through the bulk of this topic, but even then, I still find myself a bit confused. I'm trying to download two files (Ushijima photobooks):

but I'm having a couple of problems. First of all, these files are relatively old by Share's standards, so I'm worried I might not be able to retrieve them in the first place.

I'm also having some trouble connecting to nodes. They keep cycling between Check, Test and Search.

I think I found someone with a similar problem earlier in this topic, with this list of solutions as a response:

^ Check your Log tab and see if there are any errors reported. While it isn't uncommon to get connection and search errors from time to time, you should not be getting as many as you are.

Although it has been mentioned throughout this thread, here is a recap of common troubleshooting:

• Make sure your system clock is correct. It can be off by a few minutes, but it must be the correct time and timezone.
  • Make sure your firewall (Windows firewall, 3rd party software such as ZoneAlarm, or hardware firewall) allows Share to bypass, either by an .exe exception (for the Share.exe program) or by TCP port exception (using the TCP port you set in Share's config).
  • Make sure any router you're using is configured to correctly forward the TCP port you chose in the Share config from your ISP/WAN to your computer. You can get more information here.
  • Make sure you have properly set up your upload, download, and cache folders in Share's Folders tab. You do not need to have anything inside the folders, but the folders must exist.
  • Make sure you've added the most recent nodes to your node list. Get the most recent nodes here. Select All and copy, then in Share go to the Nodes tab, choose Add node, paste them into the lower box and click Add.

However, I'm pretty sure that I've went through all of those, so I honestly have no idea what I'm still doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated (and sorry for the potentially repetitive line of questioning). Oh, and my Cluster words are 写真集, ドラマ, アプリ, アダルト, and アイドル, if that makes a difference.

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
The cycling thing is normal, it's the way Share searches through the nodes matching your searchs and/or cluster words.

The rest looks normal, it's just that there are no sources...

If you're still not sure about your firewall, you can always test the port used by Share with this:

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

Also, as I said in my previous post, you can always try your downloading abilities by testing a very recent file.

Wakanda

Oct 16, 2009
Well, it looks like my problem is that no one is sharing them anymore. I suppose there isn't much I can do there, then?

cnm25

Dec 22, 2009
Extremely useful thread! It was all I needed to get Share up and running a while back. I really haven't had many difficulties thus far, but I've run into a frustrating problem recently that's been driving me nuts, and I'm hoping someone might have some ideas.

It seems that when I add a file to download from a certain ID, the behavior is really odd. Only a small portion of the file ever appears -something like 5 out of 4000, for example. There is rarely any value under 'Order', and every few hours one of the files might move up 1 value - like from 5 of 4000 to 6 of 4000 (lol). While I've experienced legacy files here and there that are missing some parts, I have never seen this kind of behavior before.

I know that the availability of the file is dependent on several factors, as I've tried switching around clusters like crazy to no avail (I didn't think this is the problem as it is, as the cluster set I've had has never failed me for the files I prefer up to this point). And the files are brand new and popular, which other people have seemingly no difficulty obtaining..

The only common thread I can find between the files is the value under ID - if I try to get a file, even an extremely similar one, that is associated with any other ID (which I think is related to who uploaded the file?), Share is working just as I'd expect it to - all of the parts of the file are found quickly and move along smoothly.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
Under Status, it shows that all of those files are incomplete, so it would appear that if there are complete sources on Share, you are not connecting to them. You may have to wait until the sources come back online, or as you say it may be related to your cluster words. When you change the cluster words, it may eliminate a source where you were higher in the queue, or if the source goes offline, and then reconnects, you may get shuffled to another place in the queue. I wouldn't worry too much. Just use the the best cluster words you can find, and you should get the files eventually.

Syobon

(´・ω・`)
Dec 22, 2009
Latest PDK is version 10 (plugins built with an older PDK might not work with the current version of Share):
SharePDK10.zip ファイル倉庫NT56s0tGbv 673,412 535ff66ca8c82acb84f1509782f52d36710232b4

Can I still trust in these plugins, or where download some updated versions?
and what is the difference between use or not an ID ?

Thank you Fuurin for this FAQ it help me a lot downloading on Share. :happy:

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
Can I still trust in these plugins, or where download some updated versions?
and what is the difference between use or not an ID ?
Any plug-in that was made for PDK 10 should work on the latest version of Share EX2. The best place to get plug-ins is always within Share itself. The ID just tells you who uploaded the file originally. If you find yourself downloading files from the same uploader repeatedly you can use their ID to search, but you don't really need an ID. Sometimes the same file will get uploaded again by a different person.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
is there still no mac osx option for share?
No, and it's unlikely there will ever be. Back in the early days of the PC industry, Microsoft managed to get DOS and Windows onto Japanese PCs long before Steve Jobs and Apple thought about pushing the Mac outside of the US. As a result, Japan's PC market is extremely concentrated on Windows.

Of course, Apple is quite popular in Japan these days (iPod, iPhone), but still nowhere near popular enough to merit porting the apps to another OS. In fact if any port does happen, I imagine it would be to Linux.

All hope isn't lost, however; there are still several ways to run Windows apps (including Share) on a Mac. One sure-fire option is to dual-boot. But if you prefer to have your OS X desktop accessible at all times, you can try programs like Parallels, CrossOver, or Wine.

For an idea of what it does and how to set it up, check out the tutorial below:
Code:
http://lifehacker.com/221002/hack-attack-how-to-run-windows-and-mac-apps-side+by+side-with-parallels

Marupinku

Dec 30, 2009
I can't seem to get Share set up properly. I've followed the FAQ on the first page, but I'm still having some issues.

When I go to the Log tab, it does say that it's connected, and that the global IP is resolved. On the Nodes tab it shows the list constantly moving, with the Direction seemingly be about half of them up, and half down.

However, whenever I add triggers, even if it's the hash of a file, nothing happens. I don't get any files showing up in the Queries. I probably just set something up wrong without realizing, but what would cause this?