Share FAQ

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
It found the movie but i doesn't want to download. Maybe i have bad nodes, any good nodes list?
If you can connect to one active node, Share will automatically download all the nodes it is connected to. The only time nodes are a problem is if your node list only contains dead nodes. I listed some popular node lists in the first post in this thread.

zeromerock

Jul 18, 2009
I'm not sure if this question has been answered yet if it has sorry for the repeatative question but for some reason my share continously disconnects lasting now longer then a couple seconds ( maximum time ever seen 1 minute).

does this have to do with the port settings of the computer, or the share program or the fire wall, or is it something entirely different?

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
Share constantly cycles through nodes, testing them and scanning them for your triggers. After they are scanned, it places them in Sleep Nodes which you can see by clicking on the Show Sleep Nodes button. As I mentioned in the FAQ, you can check under the Log tab to see if the Global IP has been resolved, or if there are any Port Errors.
I'm not sure if this question has been answered yet if it has sorry for the repeatative question but for some reason my share continously disconnects lasting now longer then a couple seconds ( maximum time ever seen 1 minute).

does this have to do with the port settings of the computer, or the share program or the fire wall, or is it something entirely different?

fallen65

Mar 17, 2007
Thanks to this tutorial I managed to get Share working but I have some minor questions.

I've heard multiple times that it's required to have cache of at least 4 gig filled with content before it's possible to download anything. But I could already download something without having a single megabyte of data in my cache. Is that normal?

Also when I set up a trigger, is it normal that it can take hours or even days before Share finds the hash and starts to download? Furthermore, sometimes you see the ID next to the hash on hash databases, so I was wondering if it's beneficial if you use it along with the hash when you're setting up a trigger?

As for my last question. I installed a plug-in that automatically refreshes my node list, but is it really necessary to frequently refresh your node list? Wouldn't it just delete the clusters that share found, forcing it to start all over again?

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Cache is not required for Share. Specifying a "upload" folder is required for Share's startup checks, but you are not required to have anything in the folder. Share will still function just fine without any uploads. PerfectDark, the new P2P network intended to eventually replace Share, requires a 40GB cache, and downloads will be halted before the first 4GB and throttled while cache builds from 4→40GB.

How long Share takes to find a trigger depends on how old the file is and the cluster keywords you use. If the file is very old, then it may be difficult for Share to find peers that are still uploading the file. You should also check that your cluster keywords describe (thematically) the type of file you're trying to download. Share will search for the trigger among nodes that share the same keywords.

ID/trip is not necessary. But if you are downloading files that frequently have "fake" content, you may find it beneficial to filter your triggers for files uploaded by users you trust, hence the ID/trip field.

You don't need to refresh nodes frequently. Share will automatically get new nodes as it connects to the network (similar to Peer Exchange in bittorrent). I load new node lists about once a month. If you haven't used Share in a long time you may find it helpful to manually update your node list.

illuminatus3

Akiba Citizen
Oct 9, 2007
Does anyone know why share has slowed down tremendously in the past 2 weeks? I see very few new release update. Is everyone on vacation or moving to a different system?:defeat::murder:

Is it retirement time, or vacation time:XD:

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Might have something to do with the AmazonAWS attacks on Share.

Or everyone might indeed just be on vacation. :goodboy:

Happosai

うどん! ( ˘▽˘)っ♨
Feb 22, 2007
Obon? :dunno:

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
I've heard multiple times that it's required to have cache of at least 4 gig filled with content before it's possible to download anything.
There is certainly no need for you to fill the cache folder with content. Share will continue to put encrypted pieces of your uploads and downloads into your cache folder until it reaches 4 GBs. You can set the limit higher, but Share does need a fair bit of empty space on your hard disk to work with.

geniusxtra

Aug 14, 2009
Alright. I can get the Share to work and everything is fine. I can download and such. But...I was downloading things and they asked for a password. Only thing it came with was this one site:
http://passwor-d.com/c76/
Which was strange. I couldn't extract it. So I decided to try another file. And it extracted. Then it asked for serial #. It came with a serial # so I put in that, but it didn't work. And it also came with this website:
http://passwor-d.com/serial.html

What do I do? (Oh yeah, I was trying to download Touhou game on C76, Undefined Fantastic Object)

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
Looks like a huge hoax. I had some h-magazines password-protected, with links to commercial websites where they ask you to register and spend a lot of time (if not money), in order to get the password.
Here they are talking about installing some "software". This is just bullshit.

Throw all this stuff away and try to find others sources.
Probably the files are not what you expect them to be.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
What do I do? (Oh yeah, I was trying to download Touhou game on C76, Undefined Fantastic Object)

Comiket is very popular in Japan, and as a result there a lot of fake files get posted on Share. I can pretty much guarantee that any files posted during C76 will be fake. You will have to wait a few days until after C76 ends before the real files start to get posted.

You have a few options:
  1. If you can read Japanese, go onto 2ch into the Download threads and search for what C76 info you're interested (eg: latest Touhou thread). There you will find people posting new files and reporting fake files. If a file is real but still passworded, you will find the password in the thread.
  2. Use PerfectDark to get your C76 material. PerfectDark has a built-in file rating system, so any files that have <1.0 rating are almost certainly fake, while files with >1.0 rating are reportedly good.
  3. Be patient and wait a couple days until after C76. Places like 4chan/jp/ and hongfire will invariably post all the goods to torrents so that you don't have to sort between fake and real files.

ashish1t

Apr 10, 2007
Help with one question:

Share automatically saves previous search queries. Is there an option / setting to disable this feature and can we manually clear the search history?

thanks
Ash

ashish1t

Apr 10, 2007
Search History (pull down)

How can I have "Share" not save past queries and is there a way to manually erase search history ?

Thanks
Ash

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
To manually clear query history, delete query.txt in your Share folder.

To disable the feature, you can set the read-only file attribute on query.txt in your Share folder. This will result in an annoying messagebox every time you enter a new query, but it doesn't cause any problems.

supaman2

Nov 7, 2007
Ports

Hi Guys I'm having issues with the port... I've read through the whole thread and know port forwarding is the key... So I forwarded port 31111 in share, and my windows xp firewall. I have a verzion router and this i think is where I'm messing up. Here is a screenshot of what I have, the blank is my computer. I put 31111 in there...but Im not sure what else to select. I put in HTTP and FTP, i check my port and its not working. router is MI424-WR, thanks guys.

supaman2

Nov 7, 2007
Still having problems... I put the 192.168 etc in my networked computer device. Do i need something for specify public IP address? Am I using the right thing? FTP and HTTP are the ones i selected. Thanks again.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
FTP and HTTP have nothing to do with Share and will not fix connection problems. You need to manually specify/add a rule that will forward "TCP Any -> 31111". You may need to change your router security settings from High to Medium.

If the guide at portforward.com is not helping, you need to post more screenshots showing what options you have to add custom port rules, or else no one will really be able to help you.