Share FAQ

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Router modem configured as bridge, then direct connection between my PC and this reconfigured router modem with ethernet cable...
What is the make and model # of that modem?

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
If I were you, I would do the following.

1. Reset your D-Link router to the default settings. You don't want to be in Bridge mode.
  2. Unplug your ISP's DSL or cable line from the router, but don't disconnect the ethernet cable going to your computer.
  3. Set up a static IP for your Windows XP as per http://portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm
  4. Reconnect your ISP's DSL line to the router. Wait for it to sync up, then ensure you're able to access the internet before continuing to the next step.
  5. Go to your Router setup page (probably http://192.168.1.1/)
  6. Under Advanced Setup > NAT > Virtual Servers, click the Add button
    1. Select Custom Server button, name it "Share EX2"
    2. Paste your Static IP address from step 3 in the Server IP address field
    3. Add your Share EX2 port number to the four fields labeled External Port Start, External Port End, Internal Port Start, and Internal Port End
    4. Make sure the Protocol is TCP
    5. Click the Save/Apply button to save your new Virtual Server entry.
  7. Done. Test with http://www.canyouseeme.org/

CALL D-LINK SUPPORT if the port is still closed or if you're stuck on step 4. They will be able to help you.

jupiter999

loves Tada Mizuho only...
Apr 2, 2008
Yes, all the while I tried bridge configuration only...
I'll try out your way...
Thanks Rollyco's

xthorgal

May 20, 2007
I run all and something is happend. I wait all 2 days. In received data is 634,392,123 and all time growing (I add one hash) but in all files is nothing. I mean I see nothing in download and cache dir. I also have totally no idea if file is downloading even if bytes going.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
634,392,123 = 605MB of received data.

Share always uses a little bandwidth while connecting to the network, as well as downloading and forwarding data to other users, so it is normal to see a lot of received (and sent) data even if no files are downloading.

Please check your Triggers and Download tabs to see if a trigger you've added has moved into the Download area. If it has, you can check if all pieces are available. If the file is old, it's likely that not all the pieces are available (ie: incomplete download), or that the file is no longer available and will not download -- it's basically the same as an old torrent with no seeds.

Please also check your Log tab to see if there are any errors reported.

joose

Jun 12, 2009
I hate for my first post to be a help request, but I can't seem to solve this on my own.

At any one time, I can only get four connections going at once. Usually it's three tests, and one search. In my info tab my Search Connection Attempts is always four numbers above my Search Connection Errors. My Log shows no errors so far. I've forwarded the proper ports, set up normal clusters, I've got all the proper folders set up (I took down my upload folder because it only added uploading connections to me, and I wasn't sharing anything worth getting), and I'm using triggers as well. I don't have any firewalls blocking any connections (I added exceptions for Share, and then disabled my firewalls all together).

All of my general settings are default, 100 max up/downstream, my quota clear limit is 10,000 and active limit is 100.

Edit: Oh yeah, node info. My node count is 803, and I've had Share running for two days. I got my nodelist from http://p2p-db.net/share/

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
You need an upload folder. But your upload folder can be empty.

It is normal to only see 3-4 active nodes (in Test and Search states). Share will continually cycle through them to search for your requested files and any peers that may have them.

Make sure your triggers (eg: the files you want to download) are fairly recent or are very popular. Old or rare files are often incomplete and will not download simply because they are no longer available (just like with torrents), even though Share is working properly. Unfortunately it is a little difficult to tell the difference between an improperly configured Share and one which works but simply can't find the files you want.

Beyond that, always check your Log tab and report any errors you find.

joose

Jun 12, 2009
Thanks for the help. The album I'm trying to download is from last June apparently. I'll just have patience I suppose. I just thought it was odd that I was getting so few node connections at once, because a friend of mine told me he was getting four of each node status at once.

The only thing I use Share for is to get OSTs, so are there any special clusters I should be using? Right now I'm using music, mp3, game, dvdiso, and avi.

Edit: Every file in my upload folder says waiting under the status, is that normal?

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
The only thing I use Share for is to get OSTs, so are there any special clusters I should be using? Right now I'm using music, mp3, game, dvdiso, and avi.
Try MP3全般 and サントラ (soundtrack). Also check other people's cluster words using show sleep nodes.

Edit: Every file in my upload folder says waiting under the status, is that normal?
When you first fire Share up, it takes a while to scan your folders. It should start uploading once you've been online a while.

A

alibi

Port Errors ??

I have been using Share successfully for a long time from my main PC.
I have been attempting to get it working from second PC which is connected wirelessly via a 2Wire router and a D-Link USB network connector.
I keep getting port errors despite having (to my knowledge) port-forwarded with this computer (Windows 2000 Professional).

When I do port tests I cannot find any which are not blocked, despite the fact that I have been Torrenting successfully with this computer for months.

I'd appreciate any advice - I am trying this Forum first because there is a lot of technical know how available which I have seen in the past.
Thanks in advance.

AkibaBoi

Jun 8, 2009
question about using the triggers id...

Here's the scenario... I found something that I want from KeyDB and there are 5-6 posts of that file which all have the same hash value. A couple of the files have an id associated with them.

When I create the trigger, if I elect to use one of the id's, does that reduce the number of copies of that file which are available to d/l?

Perhaps I will only get pieces of that file when that particular user is online.

For now I'm adding the id as I assume that the more specific the naming is, the more chances I have of getting to the "top of the queue".

Any thought on this are appreciated.

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
My personal feeling: when I create a trigger, I put ONLY the hash value, as it "defines" the file univoquely. There can be different names for the same file, I think this way the problem is bypassed.

By putting an ID you probably reduce the search to the guy having the file & corresponding to that given ID, and not taking into account other persons that may also have the same file.

I don't think you get faster by being more specific, your progress on the queue depends on other factors (bandwitdh of the source, amount of data you uploaded, size of your upload folder, type of files you are sharing...).

Again, that's my understanding of Share mechanisms, maybe I'm wrong in many aspects.

AkibaBoi

Jun 8, 2009
Sounds good to me....

My personal feeling: when I create a trigger, I put ONLY the hash value, as it "defines" the file univoquely. There can be different names for the same file, I think this way the problem is bypassed.

By putting an ID you probably reduce the search to the guy having the file & corresponding to that given ID, and not taking into account other persons that may also have the same file.

I don't think you get faster by being more specific, your progress on the queue depends on other factors (bandwitdh of the source, amount of data you uploaded, size of your upload folder, type of files you are sharing...).

Again, that's my understanding of Share mechanisms, maybe I'm wrong in many aspects.

Muchas Gracias Gringo! That makes more than a modicum of sense to me. If the search is too specific, it might ignore other "copies" of the file. I'll try the hash code only and see if that speeds things up.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Specifying an ID does not limit you to only downloading from that single person. Rather it simply matches files that were originally uploaded by the specified user, ensuring that you download the original file and not an altered copy (in case you were searching by filename). Even if you specify the ID, you will still be able to download from other users who have the same file.

Of course if you specify your triggers using hash, the ID (and filename) don't really matter. ID is more of a security feature, ensuring that you get the original file; and if that particular user has a track record of uploading good files that you want, it also helps you narrow down your trigger matches so that you don't end up with unwanted files.

While it's true that a trigger that is "too specific" will ignore other matches (eg: the hash matches, but not the filename/ID), keep in mind that many people share the files using the original filename. Even if you can find another copy of the same file (same hash, different filename/ID), it's often the case that very few other people have that same matching criteria, and those files will be slow, while the original "too specific" trigger often gives you the best availability and download speeds.

Of course this can all differ depending on what exactly you're trying to download, and there is no sweeping rule. The best is to try a little of every technique and figure out what works best for yourself.

AkibaBoi

Jun 8, 2009
thanks much

Specifying an ID does not limit you to only downloading from that single person. Rather it simply matches files that were originally uploaded by the specified user, ensuring that you download the original file and not an altered copy (in case you were searching by filename). Even if you specify the ID, you will still be able to download from other users who have the same file.

Of course if you specify your triggers using hash, the ID (and filename) don't really matter. ID is more of a security feature, ensuring that you get the original file; and if that particular user has a track record of uploading good files that you want, it also helps you narrow down your trigger matches so that you don't end up with unwanted files.

While it's true that a trigger that is "too specific" will ignore other matches (eg: the hash matches, but not the filename/ID), keep in mind that many people share the files using the original filename. Even if you can find another copy of the same file (same hash, different filename/ID), it's often the case that very few other people have that same matching criteria, and those files will be slow, while the original "too specific" trigger often gives you the best availability and download speeds.

Of course this can all differ depending on what exactly you're trying to download, and there is no sweeping rule. The best is to try a little of every technique and figure out what works best for yourself.

I really appreciate the clarity that you added to this topic. I started just using the hash code and I observe (not scientific, of course) that "some" of the files seem to go straight to download. I believe that I'm betting better overall performance than when I used all three selection criteria.

furryballs

Jan 6, 2007
Thank you, great tutorial. I'm having some success but I have a question.

In the nodes connect tab is showing 6 entries 2 check, 2 test, 2 search. Is this normal, should there be more, and it's going up and down constantly but doesn't get more than 5-6. I'm getting 202 hits for "同人誌", is this normal or should there be more? Also there's 177 connection errors in the info tab.

I'm kinda new so any suggestions would be great, thank you.

:perfectplan:

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Please read through the thread.

Everything you have said is normal, but there are additional tips on how to speed up your downloads or narrow your searches.