Post your JAV subtitle files here - JAV Subtitle Repository (JSP)★NOT A SUB REQUEST THREAD★

maload

Jul 1, 2008
It is crazy difficult-lots of respect for those who do it. I just can't believe the differences in quality/results. Most of the machine/DL translations are at least salvageable with hard work, but some "translations" are just really strange, like they went thru several different languages first. But one I am trying to edit (SSIS-300, from SubtitleCat) had this dialogue:
- "I tweeted to Zan Yixuan 18"
- "what's so good about eagle ii"
but listening to the Japanese they are saying more like:
-"I'm so surprised to see you!"
-"Why are you so surprised?"
(My Japanese is terrible, so my translation is probably terrible too, but there is nothing about tweeting or eagles, lol)
Also, the timing was so off (a rarity in my brief experience with eng. subs) that I thought the subs were for a completely different film at first.
I even downloaded the Chinese version to see if something was lost, but its the same.
I'd like to 'fix' this one, but I think it exceeds my limited Japanese.
My expertise kind of runs out after find/replacing "comfortable" and "meat stick", lol.
i want to add something that i read from this topic.
this kind of sub ......they translate " actress s name " and mixed it in the sentences too
++ so sometime .....its really ....

sush as when they have the word " wing " that because they speak " tsubasa aoi " s name ,

" mountain/ that aika yamakugi " ,
so if you translate the actress s name before ....it may help a little bit

ToastFrench

Jan 8, 2022
i want to add something that i read from this topic.
this kind of sub ......they translate " actress s name " and mixed it in the sentences too
++ so sometime .....its really ....

sush as when they have the word " wing " that because they speak " tsubasa aoi " s name ,

" mountain/ that aika yamakugi " ,
so if you translate the actress s name before ....it may help a little bit
Yeah, the first names are good to try to grab at the beginning-its always easy when they use their 'actual' (stage) names, but it isn't always the case.
Yuki Yudzuru (the young looking guy who is in a lot of videos lately) is usually just "Yuki-kun", and a lot of times the actresses use their stage names, but sometimes it takes a while to figure out.

Speaking of names, one thing Japanese is big on is polite titles. So "Oku-san" is used a lot as a polite way to refer to a married woman, and while it does translate to "Wife" (usually someone else's wife, hence the -san) it is weird to translate it as "Wife", since you wouldn't just say "Wife" to someone else's wife (well, you probably wouldn't, lol). Same with calling older women "Oneesan" even if they aren't your big sister-its more like an honorific, but can translate oddly. And one recent video had a sister-in-law that the guy called "Onee-san", and the translation was "Sister-in-Law", which was correct, but it also looks a little odd in English (he used it a lot).

And this went on too long (sorry!) but for some reason different "Boss" titles get translated oddly-one that I see a lot is "Minister" being used for "Bucho", which is a boss type position. But "Minister" in English usually refers to either a government official or a religious figure. I change it to "Manager" or "Boss", because Minister doesn't make much sense (to me).

And don't even get me started on "Senpai" - it just doesn't exist comfortably in English, lol.

Makkdom

Mar 4, 2019
Yeah, the first names are good to try to grab at the beginning-its always easy when they use their 'actual' (stage) names, but it isn't always the case.
Yuki Yudzuru (the young looking guy who is in a lot of videos lately) is usually just "Yuki-kun", and a lot of times the actresses use their stage names, but sometimes it takes a while to figure out.

Speaking of names, one thing Japanese is big on is polite titles. So "Oku-san" is used a lot as a polite way to refer to a married woman, and while it does translate to "Wife" (usually someone else's wife, hence the -san) it is weird to translate it as "Wife", since you wouldn't just say "Wife" to someone else's wife (well, you probably wouldn't, lol). Same with calling older women "Oneesan" even if they aren't your big sister-its more like an honorific, but can translate oddly. And one recent video had a sister-in-law that the guy called "Onee-san", and the translation was "Sister-in-Law", which was correct, but it also looks a little odd in English (he used it a lot).

And this went on too long (sorry!) but for some reason different "Boss" titles get translated oddly-one that I see a lot is "Minister" being used for "Bucho", which is a boss type position. But "Minister" in English usually refers to either a government official or a religious figure. I change it to "Manager" or "Boss", because Minister doesn't make much sense (to me).

And don't even get me started on "Senpai" - it just doesn't exist comfortably in English, lol.
I saw a file recently that tried to get around the Nii-chan translation of "older brother" for an older male acquaintance which sounds odd in English. This translator changed it to "handsome" as in "hey, handsome, how are you?"

Reactions: ToastFrench

ToastFrench

Jan 8, 2022
I saw a file recently that tried to get around the Nii-chan translation of "older brother" for an older male acquaintance which sounds odd in English. This translator changed it to "handsome" as in "hey, handsome, how are you?"
LOL, I like it! So would "Onee-chan" be "Hey, gorgeous!"

porgate55555

Jul 24, 2021
Hi All

New pack with subs which I converted from chinese hardsubs and translated with Deepl. Hardsubs had different sub and video quality. None of them should be included in previous packs or RUNBKK releases. I only checked for OCR gibberish, so its normal machine translation. Hope you enjoy :)

Attachments

• New.zip
    181.8 KB · Views: 1,169

darksider59

Akiba Citizen
Feb 24, 2014
It is crazy difficult-lots of respect for those who do it. I just can't believe the differences in quality/results. Most of the machine/DL translations are at least salvageable with hard work, but some "translations" are just really strange, like they went thru several different languages first. But one I am trying to edit (SSIS-300, from SubtitleCat) had this dialogue:
- "I tweeted to Zan Yixuan 18"
- "what's so good about eagle ii"
but listening to the Japanese they are saying more like:
-"I'm so surprised to see you!"
-"Why are you so surprised?"
(My Japanese is terrible, so my translation is probably terrible too, but there is nothing about tweeting or eagles, lol)
Also, the timing was so off (a rarity in my brief experience with eng. subs) that I thought the subs were for a completely different film at first.
I even downloaded the Chinese version to see if something was lost, but its the same.
I'd like to 'fix' this one, but I think it exceeds my limited Japanese.
My expertise kind of runs out after find/replacing "comfortable" and "meat stick", lol.
Still, I sometimes receive requests for subs (even if there is a calculator to have quote directly on the website), I get messages like "wow, that's too expensive, I thought it was like 15-50$". Lol, nobody will do that amount of work for 15$. Still, our prices are lower than regular translators on the market. It's more likely 3$/min for the translation ONLY. There is an extra if you want a srt file.

And about the names auto translated in chinese, it shows how bad auto translation is. If a word, as simple as a name, isn't properly translated, you can imagine how inacurate the rest of the story is.

MrSV

Jul 20, 2020

With regard to "Oku-san", I've personally like to use the polite form of "Ma'am", and then I go a little DQN and use "Wifey" slang term, which I've used in my first translation (MEYD-356, which recently got a hardcoded JAVguru release without my credits).

Also with "sensei", I sometimes just leave in romanized as it can be used as someones title who isn't a "teacher" per se. I like to think most of us enjoying these subs have picked up a a few words here and there understand the context.

ToastFrench

Jan 8, 2022
With regard to "Oku-san", I've personally like to use the polite form of "Ma'am", and then I go a little DQN and use "Wifey" slang term, which I've used in my first translation (MEYD-356, which recently got a hardcoded JAVguru release without my credits).
I like the idea of going a little bit 'slang' in some situations-like "Father-in-law" becoming "Daddy" depending on the situation.
Sorry they stripped out your credits-I don't get it. I always leave in whatever credits are already in the subs, and just add (orig) to the front of them, with my edit version (just for my own records of where it came from and whether I made any changes, and to leave credit where credit is due)

Also with "sensei", I sometimes just leave in romanized as it can be used as someones title who isn't a "teacher" per se. I like to think most of us enjoying these subs have picked up a a few words here and there understand the context.
Oh good, its not just me! I am going to keep "Sensei", "Senpai", and the '-chan' and '-kun' endings to names. I guess titles/names for me seem strange when they don't match up to the audio. The thing is-"Professor" works better in english for Sensei, as in english Professor is sometimes used as a title (unlike "Teacher") Bu in JAV sometimes...these aren't Professors, despite everyone of course being over 18.

I'm also leaving "Itadakimasu" being said before eating-I saw some anime translation thread talking about using "rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub!" which probably works in a lot of cutesy anime translations, but probably not in most JAV.

Another one that gets tortuously translated: "Oskaresama deshita" It literally translates to "you are very tired", which isn't what they mean (usually). It kind of means "hey, thanks for your hard work", but even that feels a bit overwrought in some usages. It is another one of those rote/polite/traditional phrases that have meaning only in context, and is often more perfunctory than conveying any deeper meaning.

Reactions: johnny fontane

ToastFrench

Jan 8, 2022
Still, I sometimes receive requests for subs (even if there is a calculator to have quote directly on the website), I get messages like "wow, that's too expensive, I thought it was like 15-50$". Lol, nobody will do that amount of work for 15$. Still, our prices are lower than regular translators on the market. It's more likely 3$/min for the translation ONLY. There is an extra if you want a srt file.

And about the names auto translated in chinese, it shows how bad auto translation is. If a word, as simple as a name, isn't properly translated, you can imagine how inacurate the rest of the story is.
Yeah, I'm just thinking about the time and effort to clean up the DeepL translations from those RUNBKK chinese subs or the other machine translations from SubTitleCat. The idea of translating from the video, even if you were totally fluent in Japanese and English, is just a big undertaking. $15 is crazy.

I think the basic misunderstanding about asking for a translation of a film is-for one person, its like a bespoke service. $200-$300 for a personal translation isn't that out of line, especially for something complex like an ADN or ATID or JUL type film, which tend towards a lot of 'plot' dialogue.
But if you have a guaranteed big enough market and reach, and could depend on 40-50 people paying for a good subtitle, then your prices would be lower.

For a business like yours-you are stuck in such a tough market. There is demand for it, its a valuable service, but there is also a supply of free, often inferior but 'good enough' material out there for most.

I mean, its just JAV. But its funny to me how my view on some of the films has changed after having subs, despite having a passing knowledge of Japanese. For example, a recent film seemed to just be a typical young guy stuck with a snooty boss in an office with a broken air conditioner. And the snooty boss was apparently having an affair with *her* boss. Much sex ensued, end of film.

But it turns out (thru subtitles) that *her boss* had promised her he was getting a divorce to be with her, but was just using her to take credit for her work. And *her boss* tried to give her a birthday present and she refused it, so he gave her birthday present to his wife as an anniversary present.
And the reason the young guy and the snooty boss were even in the hot office without an air conditioner was because *her boss* had fucked up a business deal, and they had to fix it over the weekend without overtime pay (and without a working air conditioner) Such drama!
I mean, its just JAV, but, LOL.

Reactions: Imscully

darksider59

Akiba Citizen
Feb 24, 2014
I think the basic misunderstanding about asking for a translation of a film is-for one person, its like a bespoke service. $200-$300 for a personal translation isn't that out of line, especially for something complex like an ADN or ATID or JUL type film, which tend towards a lot of 'plot' dialogue.
Plus with translating, there is also the timestamp creation, and this has another cost when you use online services for non adult content. So you end up with a cost of 4-5$/min.

For a business like yours-you are stuck in such a tough market. There is demand for it, its a valuable service, but there is also a supply of free, often inferior but 'good enough' material out there for most.
The free subs are for those who will always think any price is too expensive. So, not having them as customers isn't that big of a deal. That's why I promoted my website to specific countries :)

Makkdom

Mar 4, 2019
I like the idea of going a little bit 'slang' in some situations-like "Father-in-law" becoming "Daddy" depending on the situation.
Sorry they stripped out your credits-I don't get it. I always leave in whatever credits are already in the subs, and just add (orig) to the front of them, with my edit version (just for my own records of where it came from and whether I made any changes, and to leave credit where credit is due)

Oh good, its not just me! I am going to keep "Sensei", "Senpai", and the '-chan' and '-kun' endings to names. I guess titles/names for me seem strange when they don't match up to the audio. The thing is-"Professor" works better in english for Sensei, as in english Professor is sometimes used as a title (unlike "Teacher") Bu in JAV sometimes...these aren't Professors, despite everyone of course being over 18.

I'm also leaving "Itadakimasu" being said before eating-I saw some anime translation thread talking about using "rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub!" which probably works in a lot of cutesy anime translations, but probably not in most JAV.

Another one that gets tortuously translated: "Oskaresama deshita" It literally translates to "you are very tired", which isn't what they mean (usually). It kind of means "hey, thanks for your hard work", but even that feels a bit overwrought in some usages. It is another one of those rote/polite/traditional phrases that have meaning only in context, and is often more perfunctory than conveying any deeper meaning.
I like the trend to just leave the Japanese in for many untranslatable terms. To me it is less jarring then a lot of the alternatives. In fact, I wish the machine translations could be set to do that with many expressions. Better yet, just omit those lines from the subtitles. I don't really need a translation for "kimochi", so just hearing the word would be preferable to the "comfortable" stuff we have talked about before.

Reactions: ToastFrench

Makkdom

Mar 4, 2019
Here is another large collection of older SRT files I have accumulated. As with the previous batch I uploaded, I can't guarantee there aren't any duplicates of others posted here, nor can I vouch for the quality of all of them. However, most of them are pretty decent. I hope they will be useful to some of you.

Attachments

• Subs K-R.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 2,288