Share FAQ

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
when adding a new trigger, if the file isn't found within minutes, is that normal?.
or does it just sometimes take a while to find the file?. or is the file no longer available?.
It is normal. In your nodes list, you will see different nodes constantly connecting/disconnecting. This is because Share is connecting to different nodes (users) and searching if they have the file(s) you are trying to download.

But you are also correct: old files are more likely to no longer be available, and will not be "found". You can change your cluster keywords to try to connect to more/different nodes and increase the chance of finding a node with the files you want.

Of course, please also check your Log tab for any errors, make sure all your network settings are current/correct. If in doubt, try doing a very basic search and downloading a small, but seemingly popular file, to confirm your settings work. A short AVI or a JPEG should do the trick, but stay away from ZIPs and RARs because some of them have malware/trojans -- unless you know what you're doing.

spikier

JAPAN:みんなのあい
Nov 13, 2008
It is normal. In your nodes list, you will see different nodes constantly connecting/disconnecting. This is because Share is connecting to different nodes (users) and searching if they have the file(s) you are trying to download.

But you are also correct: old files are more likely to no longer be available, and will not be "found". You can change your cluster keywords to try to connect to more/different nodes and increase the chance of finding a node with the files you want.

Of course, please also check your Log tab for any errors, make sure all your network settings are current/correct. If in doubt, try doing a very basic search and downloading a small, but seemingly popular file, to confirm your settings work. A short AVI or a JPEG should do the trick, but stay away from ZIPs and RARs because some of them have malware/trojans -- unless you know what you're doing.

thank you VERY MUCH!!!!, guy :bow-pray:.

all the information you gave me was very useful ^____^. arigatou.

most of all: thanks 4 the heads up about the malware & trojans :scared:, wouldn't wanna catch one of those!!.

joeman76

Feb 15, 2009
Ok I think I have Share all set up right like I used to have it. The problem I am having is that the nodes arent staying connected. After about 40 seconds they all disconnect and do not attempt to reconnect. What am I doing wrong?

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Ok I think I have Share all set up right like I used to have it. The problem I am having is that the nodes arent staying connected. After about 40 seconds they all disconnect and do not attempt to reconnect. What am I doing wrong?
Check your Log tab and report any error messages you are getting.

joeman76

Feb 15, 2009
Sorry. I don't know why this program is so damn hard to operate. Im frustrated because I have reinstalled and gone through the setup multiple times.

Last time for me to get it to work, i just had to reinstall it a few times.

The log is showing me Global IP resolved
Disonnected
Disconnected due to port error.

It seems to be the same error that people get a lot with this program. I have checked the firewall, checked the router settings, etc. etc.

Sorry to sound exasperated, but anytime I have to reinstall this program, I have to go through this.

Thanks for the help.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Your system date and time are probably wrong.

Blackdance

Jun 1, 2010
It seems to be the same error that people get a lot with this program.
That error can also occurs if you are running share.exe from an USB HD or card or if you are running it from an encrypted partition/hd or a truecrypt "container". Share has very strict timing requirements, when data is flowing too slowly it assumes a port error. If that's the case just moving the share folder to a fastest, unencrypted hard-disk will solve.

danshyu

May 10, 2007
Is there a more painless way to get all the plugins? Has somebody uploaded them all within 1 .zip file or something? That would be really really helpful.

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
Port error

I just discovered another reason why you might get a port error. Some modems may assign a separate internal IP address to your computer from the public one that you will see if you try web sites like whatismyip.com. You can check your internal IP address by opening a Command (DOS) Prompt window, and typing in ipconfig. If you have different internal and external IP addresses, you may have to put your modem into bridge mode, and then create a new connection for it within Windows.

joeman76

Feb 15, 2009
lol months later....still trying to get this program to work... I did find out that the Belkin Router that I was using was actually creating a lot of network problems for me. So I bought a new D-Link router...Guess what? The program still isnt working!!!:puzzled:

I have a motorola surfboard modem/router that is provided by my ISP. The modem is bridged to the new router. I am still getting the dreaded disconnected due to port error. My windows firewall is set up on tcp port 13243, in and out. And the port is forwarded in my router settings on TCP...

Any other ideas?

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
I think setting the firewall is not enough if you have a working router. What I would suggest is:

1 /Configure your router to attribute or "fix" an IP to your computer (using the MAC adress, the physical adress of the machine).
2/ Then configure again your router to redirect the port used by Share to that IP.
3/ ????
4/ PROFIT

Dunno if you can do that, but that's what I've been doing with my ISP.

kyub

Jun 24, 2012
Sorry ress this topic, but I've questions:

Is there a way to rate files as we do on Perfect Dark?

& How do I know if a file is safe or not? I get those "orange results" and I assume they're the safer ones; the most downloaded.

:puzzled: