Share FAQ

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
It usually takes 1-3hrs to get to that %, then they just sit for days. Order priority stays at 500+ for days
That means that most of the nodes (including yours) are stuck at 5%, and the node(s) that have the remaining 5% are too busy uploading other things. Try changing cluster keywords for awhile; you might get lucky and pick up a less busy node that has the remaining blocks you need.

Also, make sure "disconnect slow downloads" is unchecked.

I thought your uploads do not affect downloads or download speeds.
Indirectly they do. Number of download connections increases with your actual upload speed. You can also increase that number by adjusting your Max Downstream setting upwards.

jthai2467

Apr 15, 2008
Thanks to everyone here helping us newbies out but I have some questions. I've already tried downloading random stuff to test out the share program and although the download says complete, it isn't in my download folder. What gives? Also, my cache folder has more crap in it than my actual download folder! Can I just manually delete the cache anytime? Last question...once a download is complete, is it automatically uploaded for sharing? Apologies if these have been answered already but I tried quick-browsing the 29 pages and didn't see anything.

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
Thanks to everyone here helping us newbies out but I have some questions. I've already tried downloading random stuff to test out the share program and although the download says complete, it isn't in my download folder. What gives?

That looks strange. Is there something specific written on your "transfers" tab ? There should be a line about each "finished" file with indication on the conversion process.

Also, my cache folder has more crap in it than my actual download folder! Can I just manually delete the cache anytime?

I'm not sure about that, but Share may put random chunk of files that you are not downloading, for better sharing purposes. If it does, it's for everyone, not only you. You CAN delete anything by hand, but be sure about which file you are deleting, that it's not something you actually want.

Last question...once a download is complete, is it automatically uploaded for sharing? Apologies if these have been answered already but I tried quick-browsing the 29 pages and didn't see anything.

Files are used for sharing as soon as you get 1 MB of data. When they are finished and converted, a copy of the file stays in the cache folder for uploads. Unless you delete it manually, or the cache folder size goes beyond the quota.

bullet_sky

May 10, 2009
Ok, my turn :(. I just found Share, and followed all the instructions on page one. I added about three hundred nodes found through Google or this thread, but when I go to connect, Share runs through a couple nodes, shows connected time, then after 30 or so seconds the nodes disappear and my up/down speeds go to zero. I used port 23073, set it up in the firewall, then even tried turning off the firewall and set up port forwarding in the router. But no luck. Anybody have an idea? Maybe I need to register a username somewhere else first, but I made one in share per the instructions. I don't know what is going on.

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
It is normal for Share to go through the list of nodes looking for live ones. You can check on the Log tab though to see if your Global IP has been resolved and you are connected. You do not need to register your name anywhere.

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
Also, my cache folder has more crap in it than my actual download folder! Can I just manually delete the cache anytime?
Share will clean your cache folder to bring it closer to your quota at regular intervals. There is no need to delete files manually, especially if you have files still downloading. You can use the plugin OneCacheDelete to delete old hashes and such if you want.

bullet_sky

May 10, 2009
I checked the info tab, it shows an IP address so I assume that means I am connected. It also says I have 569 nodes. However, the nodes screen is blank, and the up/down speeds are zero. Sent and Received data in the info tab aren't changing. And before the nodes disappeared, five out of the six had EX2 beside them, don't know if that means anything. I have a few hours where I can be busy and not mess around with (let it do it's thing). Hopefully it will fix itself by them. I will be away and on a different network. Not sure if that's good or bad or neutral. I'll wait and see. Thanks Fuurin! :)

bullet_sky

May 10, 2009
Hmmm... I let it go all day but nothing happened. I noticed that when the nodes disappear and the speed drop to zero the connect button un-highlights. Like I am getting booted.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
What does it say in the Log tab?

bullet_sky

May 10, 2009
Aha. Disconnected due to port error. I gave it port 23073. Added an exception to the firewall, set up port forwarding in the router, and even tried with the firewall off. No luck. If it means anything I'm using XP btw.

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
Port errors are always caused by firewalls, routers or anti-virus programs that act as firewalls. Try using different port numbers, and also try connecting directly without your router to see if it is the problem. Some cheap routers aren't exactly p2p friendly.

Xandor

Akiba Citizen
May 14, 2009
Hey, i got a problem with share.
Done as it said in first post and then connected and added a trigger from a different thread here on akiba-online.
But what is supposed to happen after that? nothing pops up in queries or downloads.
How do i start download it? I can see the trigger and its activated, and i have "Global IP resolved" message in Log.
Anyone knows?

Xandor

Akiba Citizen
May 14, 2009
Ok, might be it, how long time does it normally take before the file starts getting found? Had it active for about an hour and nothing popped up.
Want the Aoi Kako movie i didnt find a torrent/direct dl for :'(
Btw, could someone tell me how, if its possible, to search on Share. Especially for Aoi Kako material, didnt find anything when i tried to search.
Would really appreciate it, thanks.

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
Mmm, waiting time can take from one minute to one year depending on the availability of the file. There's nothing you can do except trying to find other hashes for the same file (if possible).

As I find the internal search engine very sloppy (I don't want to launch automatically files matching some keywords) I would say use one of the two online databases:

http://bs.sharedb.info/
http://keydb.jpn.ch/

I recommand the latter as it is constantly updated, though you may get different results. For both, even without knowing the menu, you just have to type a given keyword in the "ファイル名" tab.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
I don't want to launch automatically files matching some keywords
You don't have to: use the "Add to DB only" check mark to make a new trigger act as a simple search.

http://bs.sharedb.info/
http://keydb.jpn.ch/

I recommand the latter as it is constantly updated
I can see why people like the instant results, but be aware that online Share databases are not even close to comprehensive or up-to-date.

biada

Jan 28, 2008
Anyone have that wikipedia site for the lists of Plugins available for share? I can't seem to find it

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
I can see why people like the instant results, but be aware that online Share databases are not even close to comprehensive or up-to-date.

keydb is being updated regularly (sharedb not since february), and for files being rare and old (in the sense of "since how long ago they were shared"), I don't see a difference.
I know that ONLY thanks to the database me and redrooster could find so many ultra-rare 80s eroanime that we have torrented since last year.
Of course for the latest JAV/hentai rip it could be a bit behind the "real" search engine.