akiba resident JAV subtitlers & subtitle talk★NOT A SUB REQUEST THREAD★

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

pennybags

Aug 10, 2015
Do you guys get scripts or something? I know Japanese but I can't imagine subtitling an entire 3-hour movie for a hundred bucks.

Motiman

Akiba Citizen
Oct 30, 2007
Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to detail this out for me. I'll certainly try my best and contribute something ASAP.

Fantastic! :D

Keep us informed as to how you're getting along. Any idea as to what you want to translate for us? All subs are greatly appreciated.

Do you guys get scripts or something? I know Japanese but I can't imagine subtitling an entire 3-hour movie for a hundred bucks.

Different translators have different rates. Most tend to change their prices according to the type of movie and how dialogue heavy it is. Of course the length of the movie matters too. I also create the timings myself which can lead to discounted prices.

shinjiIII

May 23, 2010
It's great to hear that you are willing to contribute to this thread with translations of your own. Are there any particular movies that you have in mind that you are looking to work on?

Another option is if i provide you with a shell file for a movie with the timings already done. That way you could concentrate on just the translation and we could offer the sub to the forum. It would save a lot in terms of cost, unless of course, you are looking to be paid for your work.

Anyway back to the question in hand, but i found Aegisub easy to use although finding a clear and precise tutorial online was a little trickier. They all seemed too complicated but i managed to work it out in the end, sort of. :rolleyes:

In the discussion for the sub of RBD-650 tortex asked the question of how we all create timings while explaining his own method to us. I tried to explain how i go about using Aegisub myself which i will now and copy and paste for you:

''I think like most i use Aegisub although i'm pretty sure i don't do it in the correct manner as you guys may already have ascertained given that the timings only go down to a tenth of a second. I haven't used it much so i don't know about keyboard shortcuts and all that. The only tutorial i have used is the one below and he seemed to be typing the times in manually so i just followed suite.

I will list the process i use and please tell me if i could do things a lot easier because i am a total noob.

1. I start up Aegisub and load the video and audio (it has to be done separately for some reason) to it.

2. I then start the same video on my normal video player. I use VLC player.

3. I play the video on VLC first to the point of the audio that i want translating, noting the rough timings of when they start and stop talking.

4. I then go to Aegisub and play towards (or skip forward if there is a gap) the audio. Having watched it before i know roughly to the second when the audio will begin so once it does i pause it immediately.

5. The timing will have stopped just a little bit after the audio obviously so when i go to enter the time into the first timing window (on the left) i enter the time one second prior to when it paused. I don't think there is any need to time it to hundredths of a second as it makes no difference. This gives about a half second buffer to the start of the audio.

6. I then continue the video in Aegisub until the audio that i want stops and again immediately press pause. This time there is no need to change the time so enter the timings into the middle window, usually rounding up by a tenth. The third window (on the right) should then be displaying the time between the first and second windows.

7. The big window on the right of the video is where you type in the text. I usually place an initial for the person speaking there just as a marker (if the line you want has two people talking then [shift+enter] will create another line). You can then press enter in this window and the program will automatically begin a new line, at which point you just rinse and repeat.

I find it easier to play the movie on VLC and get the rough timings on that first because often if there is a lot of audio and back and forth between those that are talking then you will have to watch it a few times to see what's going on.

I've tried my best to explain what i do but having read it back just now it does seem confusing, especially with no images to show clearly what i mean. What i will say is just watch the youtube tutorial or the many others that are available and you may just about get what i am trying to explain here.''

Thanks for the massive post, motiman! I'd actually like to contribute my services as well. Most of the JAV I watch isn't too dialogue-heavy, however I can try to find something to work on to contribute. :belajar:

pennybags

Aug 10, 2015
Wow, $10, what a princely sum for several hours of work. Unless a bunch of other people are going to chip in no one is going to do that for that amount of money. I'll give you the title for free: "I let a runaway stay of my home and she was too horny and reverse-r***ing me?! 2"

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
To make it easier, I dont require the subtitle to be made for me. Simply the translation and timings in a txt file will be good enough and I'll do the work creating the subtitle.
I loled, I guess you're not familiar with what's involved with making a sub. If anyone's going to get you both the timing and the text without making a sub their an idiot and if you think that they can get you those independent of each other you're missing the picture.

Reactions: CodeGeek

pennybags

Aug 10, 2015
Have you ever transcribed something? It's time-consuming and difficult. Adding in the translation is just extra work on top of that. Prices are listed in the OP.

Reactions: desioner

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
I think you first should find someone to sub it before you're taking the effort uploading it somewhere. To be honest: Finding a source for downloading should be the easiest part - even if you don't upload it. ;)

Maybe you should try to open a fan subbing group for JAV (like there are fan subbing groups for J-Drama, Anime and Hentai). Some people here - as far as I can remember - tried that, too. But they also had the problem to find a translator. :( The rest of the work was never the problem (timer, QA and so on). I think it's obvious why it is so hard to find someone like that: If you're able to speak English you have to learn Japanese which takes a lot of time (and maybe also money). If you're fluent in Japanese it's the other way round. All the other tasks can be learned in a day or two (okay, then you don't have the experience, but at least you can start doing the work).

Anyway: Maybe it will work this time and you can form the 1st JAV fan subbing group ever. :)

Reactions: xavcierw

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
tmas3 said:
I was thinking someone could just watch the video and have notepad open…
Nothing difficult about it if you are already fluent in japanese (only time consuming)…
But since the amount of people that are able to do this is so small, its easy to see why the prices are so high…
If anyone's going to watch a video with notepad to dictate then their goal is to make subs and they're most likely doing it for money not practice or the scene. Difficulty as you overshadowed by time consuming is the key. I know of zero JAV fan subbers. I'm sure that anyone would say their time is worth more than a few dollars. Point 3: precisely my point.
CodeGeek said:
Anyway: Maybe it will work this time and you can form the 1st JAV fan subbing group ever.
My thoughts exactly. If you could pool some resources and people interested then you seek to make quite a bit of money and probably a bit of fame. Good luck with that!

pennybags

Aug 10, 2015
You can't really "just watch the video and have Notepad open" and just transcribe what they say without pausing, let alone translate it, unless you're like a trained stenographer. It's not possible. Put on a video and try to do what you're saying in English.

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
I've PMed/emailed a few of the names on the opening post just to throw a few feelers out there, but I haven't gotten a response yet, so I thought I would throw something on here too.
Funny that you didn't throw any "feelers" my way…

wildfire1

May 23, 2015
Sorry do to unforeseen events project canceled. Subtitle translation of the movie SDDE-399 Big Nurses Gently Sex Processing Ridge Shota Sex Ward.

SDDE-399.jpg

Attachments

• SDDE-399 Screen Shots.jpg
    SDDE-399 Screen Shots.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 163
Last edited:

xavcierw

X-Man
Mar 30, 2013
I would think there is enough interest for this to be a decent business for someone. But if the cost of translation exceeds the cost of the movie/clip by that much - > 10X for an entire JAV (no offense to you, Desioner), VERY few people would be able to afford it.

I also have a few movies that I wold really like to have subtitles made for, but if the cost is close to $100 an hour, a JAV with 4 scenes will cost close to $300. No way!

If anyone should find someone - or a company - that has or can create subtitles, for around $100 for an entire movie, please let me know.

Thank youj.

X-Man

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
I would think there is enough interest for this to be a decent business for someone. But if the cost of translation exceeds the cost of the movie/clip by that much - > 10X for an entire JAV (no offense to you, Desioner), VERY few people would be able to afford it.

I also have a few movies that I wold really like to have subtitles made for, but if the cost is close to $100 an hour, a JAV with 4 scenes will cost close to $300. No way!

If anyone should find someone - or a company - that has or can create subtitles, for around $100 for an entire movie, please let me know.

Thank youj.

X-Man
It's very easy: You have to look at it from the perspective of the person who translates the movie. How much time is needed, how much money do I get for it and was it the hourly wage of it.

I don't know if you read some of the previous posts of this thread (we're already close to page 30). But often members formed a group for come up with the money. So it's a lot cheaper.

By the way: How much would a JAV movie cost if only you would pay for it? ;) It's only that cheap (some of the movies are around $5) because a few thousand or million copies are sold. Otherwise no one would pay for it.
So if you have a movie you like try to find some other people which are also interested and divide the costs between all the participants. :)

Motiman

Akiba Citizen
Oct 30, 2007
RBD-706 Cage Of DIRTY Natsume Saiharu

rbd706pl.jpg

I am yet again making a request for donations towards the translation of a JAV title, this time it's RBD-706.

Just as we did for RBD-650, a group of us have agreed upon commissioning the translation of this title and are looking to see if any more are interested in obtaining this sub. We will be approaching EroJapanese once again to translate the movie for us as we were very happy with the quality of their work. I have pre-timed a shell file which saves time for the translator and enables us to obtain a discount price.

If you are interested in acquiring this sub then you can send me a PM or simply leave a 'like' on this post and i will get back to you (please keep in mind that i may take a few days to get back to you so apologies in advance). I would like to keep all donations equal among all members but until we reach an agreement with the translator i cannot say what that amount will be. Obviously the more people involved, the less we each have to pay but expect the amount to be up to $10 USD. Payments will be made to the translator directly, and as far as i am aware PayPal is their preferred method of payment (there will be a small processing fee involved as you may know). Please make your interest known as quickly as possible as we will probably be in a position to place our order within a few days. Don't worry if you're a little late. You can still purchase the sub but it may cost you a little more.

As for the movie itself, what can i say, it's a gem! :D Iroha Natsume is an absolute delight as she plays the part of twins, one naughty one nice. :oops: They get mixed up in the underground sex business and are forced to swap places leading to some very hard hitting action. I will warn you right now that this is an 'Attackers' movie and i'm sure you guys know what many of their movies are like. It can be a little rough to start with but i can tell you now that it doesn't take long for the delicious Iroha to go from meek housewife to sex-crazed nympho, and for me it's this transformation that really gets my heart pumping (along with my fist! ;)).

It would also be great to get what's behind this movie, what the characters motives and desires are and that's ultimately what having this translation is about. Lets face it, without context to the movie and knowing fully what's going on then all we're doing is watching a bunch of people mash their genitals together. :p

Natsume Iroha (or Sarasa Hara as some of her die hard fans will say) looks simply amazing throughout. The dual roles allows her to play differing roles which she does superbly and is why we chose this movie ahead of some of her others. She really pulls off the demure, perfect little housewife role well but as we know can play the devilish whore too! :oops:

vlcsnap-2015-08-26-12h29m29s356.png

vlcsnap-2015-08-26-12h26m02s872.png vlcsnap-2015-08-26-12h27m44s397.png vlcsnap-2015-08-26-12h28m44s781.png vlcsnap-2015-08-26-12h29m07s550.png vlcsnap-2015-08-26-12h29m45s427.png vlcsnap-2015-08-26-12h33m09s871.png vlcsnap-2015-08-26-12h34m09s940.png vlcsnap-2015-08-26-12h34m52s705.png

Reactions: ardoines

Motiman

Akiba Citizen
Oct 30, 2007
Hi guys

If you haven't seen it, i have been trying to get a translation project together here, and have decided upon RBD-690 as the movie i want to have translated first. If you are interested in obtaining the sub file for the movie and are willing to donate towards it's completion than please let yourself known on that thread.

RBD-690
Molester Cinema 9 - I Can't Believe I... In A Place Like This...! Rina Ishihara
View attachment 490447

Reactions: tinhblood

Motiman

Akiba Citizen
Oct 30, 2007
FAJS-035 - New Wife Destruction: A Father Got Jealous Of His Son's Wife - Kaori Saejima, Azusa Maki

h_066fajs00035pl.jpg

Having re-watched this movie i felt the translation was incomplete so i commissioned EroJapanese to complete it for me. They did a great job as usual and now i feel it is complete. For anyone that is interested in re-watching it with a more complete translation you can download the sub file below.

Much of JAVtoENG's original translation remains and i would say that the sub was 50/50 between him and EroJapanese so i can only send my enormous gratitude to them both for having worked on this movie for me. I guess we all have movies that just catch your attention immediately, and despite the thousands of JAV movies out there, you always go back to them over and over. This movie is one of them for me which is why i had it translated in the first place. You can find my original post which has a description along with screenshots here.

Speaking of EroJapanese, i would just like to send them a big thanks again for their work on the translation of RBD-706. Their work was of a very high quality and at a fair price. I, along with seven members, were able to successfully come together to commission this translation and having split the cost evenly among us, were able to obtain it at a very reasonable price.

I would like to send my personal thanks to all those that donated primarily and also to those that have bought it subsequently. As each project goes on more and more members are joining us and therefore making it even cheaper for all individuals involved.

One last thing, anyone interested in a project for a Hitomi Tanaka movie sub can vote on a poll at EroJapanese's website. They also have a youtube video for you to check out.

Attachments

• FAJS-035.rar
    7.3 KB · Views: 2,349

Motiman

Akiba Citizen
Oct 30, 2007
I just want to thank all those that joined me in donating for a translation of RBD-690. The movie was translated for us by Bonekace at javsubtitles.net and would like to just say what a great job he has done for us. Also make sure to check out his site as i have been able to obtain all his subs for just a small donation and what a selection of movies they are! :D Well worth checking out even if you may not particularly be interested in the movie as the translation really brings it alive. :)

You can still contact me to obtain the sub for $10 USD if you wish.

vlcsnap-2015-10-29-18h56m45s445.jpg vlcsnap-2015-10-29-18h57m55s611.jpg vlcsnap-2015-10-29-19h12m40s153.jpg vlcsnap-2015-10-29-19h03m02s233.jpg

DVDES-813
The Ultimate Shotacon Creampie Production! The Perverted College Girl Is A Private Tutor Who Swallows And Forces Her Student's Uninitiated Penis Into Her Pussy For Creampie Sex! Rina Rukawa
1dvdes813pl-jpg.507420

vlcsnap-2015-09-21-20h26m42s081.jpg vlcsnap-2015-09-21-20h29m44s934.jpg vlcsnap-2015-09-21-20h30m23s231.jpg vlcsnap-2015-09-21-20h31m35s964.jpg 1dvdes00813jp-2.jpg 1dvdes00813jp-8.jpg 1dvdes00813jp-14.jpg 1dvdes00813jp-16.jpg

Just want you guys to know that i have started another translation project for DVDES-813. You can find more about the process here. I expect to hire JAVtoENG for the translation and only need a few more members to join up to complete the project. Feel free to contact me or just leave a 'like' on this post and I'll get back to you.

Reactions: Draket

fruxano

Nov 1, 2008
Hello,

I have some interest in translating JAV. I personally like the media, and for JAV with stories, it's significantly more interesting if you know what's being said.
So if you're interested, let me know and we can work something out.

Why should you go for me? I don't have much feedback or standing on this forum, so I'll let my work do the talking for me.
A picture is worth a thousand words, as the saying goes.
I'll attach a script of the first 5 minutes of the video above starring Rina Rukawa, which I happened to like as well.

What you can expect from one of my translations:
1) Accuracy
I've checked out some of the other subtitles going around here, and I'm sorry to say that many of them are of regrettable quality.
The translations are often shoddy, and without even having heard the original dialogue, I can see phrases that were directly translated, which often doesn't work from JP to EN as it ends up being unnatural.
Or even worse, done through a machine translation — which means you're getting ripped off.

With one of mine, you'll be getting an accurate translation, that is also localized for English.
Dialogue will be made sure to flow properly and made to make sense in English, without losing the essence of the meaning.
Other things that don't translate well to English, such as honorifics or Japanese expressions, will be properly localized as well.

Of course, if you have specific wishes regarding such matters, that can be discussed.

2) Quality of the English
Many people in all lines of work nowadays don't care much for quality control, and you can spot obvious errors even in newspapers and such.
In the case of freelance or free translations, the content is often rife with spelling errors, may be lacking or have incorrect punctuation, or even has basic grammatical errors, such as with "your" and "you're."

If the translator can't even get these most basic of things correctly in his supposedly native language, it's hard to put confidence in a translation from such a source.

My work will be properly proofread minutely to prevent such issues.

3) Turnaround time
Quality won't be compromised for speed or quantity, if I accept a project, you can generally expect to get your result within a couple days for a single scene, up to two weeks (at the upper end, not necessarily that long) for a full length movie.
Of course, this all depends on the material.

Naturally, getting a proper and fast professional level translation doesn't come cheap.
There may be some cheaper alternatives out there, but you get what you pay for.
In the too-good-to-be-true cases, the person either doesn't care about his time, or he is compromising on quality in some way.

So, why not peruse your smut in style, and get it done right, if you're going to pay for it at all?

I'd also like to add a longer description as to why this stuff costs as much as it does, as there are many misconceptions about translating things. ("You just have to know two languages and convert it to the other!")
But anyone who has done some translation before, or even proofread or transcribed a document for someone, knows that couldn't be further from the truth.
Feel free to skip this part.

In the case of subtitling, the translator isn't only translating, he is:

*A translator
*A writer
— between JP-EN, the TL needs a good helping of creativity to solve aforementioned accuracy issues, which requires a skilled writer
*A subtitle timer— to get the correct timings for the dialogue, the TL needs to go through the movie manually to find every line, which is very time consuming and precise work to do well. Even 5 mins of movie could take 30+ mins of work if it's particularly wordy.
*A typesetter— The text needs to be formatted properly to make it easily readable
*A quality checker— Translated text needs to be checked for various things, this can take as much time as the translation itself, as you need to watch the video (again)

So this is in fact very labor and time intensive work.

Anyhow, below is a sample of my work on DVDES-813, feel free to check it out.
Of course your request doesn't necessarily have to be that movie (it's a great one though), it's just an example.

And as some members here have wisely suggested, covering the costs of a translation is much more agreeable if it's shared with other people, the more the better.
As you, as an individual, don't order entire movies to be filmed at your behalf either, the costs would be unfeasible.
But if many people were interested and shared in the cost, it's much easier to realize.

Feel free to contact me if you're interested.
If there is enough interest, I might do this regularly.

Attachments

• DVDES-813 trial.rar
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,238