The Weeboo Art Thread

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Hmm ... let me try ...

"More uptight meganekko schoolgirl in uniform on the left, brushing her hair back with one hand and giving you a scornful look, and on the right the same girl wearing a maid outfit, glasses optional, breasts slightly larger (or at least made to look larger), and blushing, her hands in a knot and her eyes averted."

......... yeah :\ ........ you don't do requests for free, do you?

^_-

SdeO

Tomoe Fascination
Nov 14, 2006
-I forget that the girl on the left was supposed to be brushing her hair back.
-I tried to fix it at the last moment.
-I failed.
:giveup:

2ltgc34.jpg

Also, I bet that my idea of 'big boobs' and yours are quite different.:XD:

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Yes, it is. As is our idea of long hair, apparently. But who the fuck would I be to complain? :O

(a) this is awesome, period
(b) thanks for even considering doing this for me :eek:
(c) and then you actually did do it! AWESOME! :O~~~

Careful now! If people find out, you could get overwhelmed by the requests.

And this picture is being insta-saved to my drive. Just ... wow. How often can I claim that a friend/acquaintance online actually drew hentai that I specified and he did it just for me? :O This is like ... wow. ;___________;

EDIT: Apparently I didn't specify "long hair." D'oh. Just goes to show there's always so much you see in your head that you don't put down in a description unless you're really meticulous! lol

EDIT #2: Do you have a higher-res version? Like ... really hi-res? Like ... I would like to print this off and frame it in an 8 x 10 picture frame. :eek:

SdeO

Tomoe Fascination
Nov 14, 2006
My pleasure ;D
Since it's just a sketch, the actual size is not really 'high res', but here you go:

HENTAIBEN

The Nesta
May 13, 2007
This thread is great. I've been saving a lot of these pictures. Too bad SdeO seems to be the only one contributing to this thread. Not that SdeO's work isn't great, but I was under the impression that he made the thread for multiple people to share their work. Just makes me wish I could draw. Two of my friends and my Dad can draw. No such luck here. Then again I'd probably draw some weird shit if I had the ability. So maybe it's for the better that I can't. /rant

Anyway, yeah... great pics.

SdeO

Tomoe Fascination
Nov 14, 2006
I know you can do much better, but here's mine.
Awesome! Just put in some shadows and you are done. :hypno:
Too bad SdeO seems to be the only one contributing to this thread. I was under the impression that he made the thread for multiple people to share their work.
That's so very true! :wait:
At the moment this seems like a personal gallery, and that's not my intention at all! :donotwant:

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Awesome! Just put in some shadows and you are done. :hypno:
I might give it a try later today. I need to also factor in blush and tongue color (right) and rectify the dodgy colorization I've done around the bow (also right). It was hard for me to tell what design of maid uniform you were going for, and while I was able to tell apart highlighted-black from genuine white in your sketch for the most part (the "highlighted-black" being what I've painted gray, and which you originally had as white), it was tough for me to tell what was going on with the blouse color, blouse itself, and the bow over it.

But you're right: the #1 problem with it right now is the lack of shading for the girls' skin and the skirt (left). You already created the shading for me on the maid uniform, which is why that looks so much better than the skirt in my colorized picture.

But truth be told ... ^^;

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Speaking of putting things on hold and picking things up ...

I'm open to advice, but the thing is, people are always saying that you shouldn't learn to draw by copying others' work, and personally, I don't see how or why I'd want to go about it any other way. Initially, I mean! I agree that once you're ready to lose the training wheels you need to start learning all the circles and dashes and gummy-eraser tricks that real pencil sketch pros utilize, but I'd think that for a brand-new beginner it's important to let him try to get a feel for where he wants to go by trying to replicate others' work.

So tell me what you think, then, about this lesson plan I've drawn up for myself. (See attached picture.) The goal is pretty simple. Be able to draw one girl's face. That's it. Then move on to the second. Then on to the third. Once that's done, be able to draw one girl's chest. Again, that's it. A chest with no head, no arms, and no abs or legs. And move on to the other girls' chests whenever I master the one I was previously on. Then legs. Then arms. Then the rest (abdomen, perineum). Not worrying at all right now about the vagina, anus, or bodily fluids like saliva. Not even planning on drawing women having sex yet. Way too complicated. Just want to be able to draw something sort of like what you threw together for me the other day.

Is there a major reason I should not try to do this brute force tactic of learning how to draw faces and breasts in the styles I like? Or could this work, depending on the individual?

SdeO

Tomoe Fascination
Nov 14, 2006
I'm open to advice, but the thing is, people are always saying that you shouldn't learn to draw by copying others' work, and personally, I don't see how or why I'd want to go about it any other way. Initially, I mean!
Imo, there's no better way for learn how to draw than copying, at the very least, is the most natural way to begin, and it had been used for ages.

So tell me what you think, then, about this lesson plan I've drawn up for myself. (See attached picture.) The goal is pretty simple. Be able to draw one girl's face. That's it. Then move on to the second. Then on to the third. Once that's done, be able to draw one girl's chest.

Is there a major reason I should not try to do this brute force tactic of learning how to draw faces and breasts in the styles I like? Or could this work, depending on the individual?
Go ahead! I recommend you these tips about copy:
HTML:
http://www.explore-drawing-and-painting.com/drawing-tips.html
It's about classic drawing, but drawing is drawing, no matter the style.

This is exciting, I hope to see your artwork here very soon! :perfectplan:

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Well, those tips don't seem to help me too much. ^^; All the guy basically says over and over is, "Copying is a good way to start. Copy people you like. And ask yourself why the artist did what he did." The problem is, copying somebody else's work is not the same thing as replicating the process by which they made it in the first place.

If I could find a video of Takeda Hiromitsu drawing something from beginning to end, I'd so totally watch that video. But since I can't, I've only got final products to work with. And it's impossible for an amateur n00b like me to tell how he got where he got. I just see the destination and try to start copying it all at once. I have no sense for the roadmap that got us here.

I was out at lunch and took my drawing pad with me. The results aren't pretty. Especially not when you consider that the fugly unfinished trace-job took me 10 minutes and the two prominent eyes you see took me another 20. Way too slow. And way super crappy.

But! Negativity is the enemy, I realize. I gotta keep optimistic about this. Still ... :\

I wish I could delete this guy and replace him with Takeda-sensei.

Ignore the thinness and linearity of the graphite. I use mechanical pencils. I'm not purchasing proper drawing pencils until/if I get good enough to make them worth it. For now, I can do just fine (I think) learning the basics with a good ol' 0.7mm mechanical pencil. But yes, as you can see in the eyes, it does result in some very "liney" shadings-in.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I made another template. This one adds some more faces, all from one of my favorite artists (Takeda Hiromitsu), with the girls making some of the classic faces a man's gotta master if he wants to draw manga-style girls. Happy with mouth wide open. Yawning with eyes shut. Bored/Annoyed look with eyes half-shut. Insulted/Rudely shocked look. Embarrassed look. And sultry smile look.

But I got carried away with the hottie on the left and the result is what you see here, lol.

SdeO

Tomoe Fascination
Nov 14, 2006
But! Negativity is the enemy, I realize. I gotta keep optimistic about this. Still ... :\
Nah... impatience is the worst foe.
Ignore the thinness and linearity of the graphite. I use mechanical pencils. I'm not purchasing proper drawing pencils until/if I get good enough to make them worth it.
Most of the time, I only use mechanical pencils, 0.5 mm, 2B or HB.
But I got carried away with the hottie on the left and the result is what you see here, lol.
Looking good so far! :D

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I was looking for help with eyes (my first micro-project within the project that is faces), and while I did find some tips for manga eyes that I was looking for, I also saw this and ...

:O

How to draw realistic eyes from scratch in PhotoShop, by Stéphanie Valentin.
How to draw realistic hair from scratch in PhotoShop, by Stéphanie Valentin.
How to draw a cat from scratch in PhotoShop, by Stéphanie Valentin.

Obviously way, way beyond my level. But I can still have fun watching it. And you, my friend, and can maybe learn a thing or two from her to kick your skills up a notch! :D (Assuming you aren't already happy with your photo-realistic drawings, that is. I like 'em. But they have an anime feel that maybe this woman's tutorials could help you escape iff you so chose.)

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I'm too embarrassed to upload any of my drawings yet. But they're of roughly the same skill level as this digital I did last night. In a word: poor, but cut the beginner some slack. ^^;

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008

1. The first day

I tried to replicate the face of one of the girls from my Takeda Hiromitsu cheat sheet. When it proved impossible, I resorted to cheap tracing. And when the results proved lackluster, I went back to eating my lunch.

Later, I decided to work on just eyes. This is something which I'm still doing.
[hide] I look at it like this: there are three categories -- the Body Part, its Position, and its Style. I am still inside the red circle, Body Parts. I tinker with the other circles a little but my focus is like this:
- let's get really good at drawing eyes. Happy eyes, angry eyes. Small eyes, huge eyes. Man eyes, girl eyes. Eyes, eyes, eyes!
- then let's work on mouths
- then let's work on hair
- hooray! Hair + Eyes + Mouth = the three most important parts of a face! Moving right along (we'll be back later, Nose and Ears!)
- let's get the arms and upper torso right -- assume everyone is flat-chested! ;_________;
- once we master this, let's move on to the legs
- skip the hips for now (let them be bland :p ...)
- ... and return to the boobs :D

Doing it one body part at a time, I hope to try to learn how to draw manga women.[/hide]

I kept this up for a few days with no real sign of progress imo. :\

Day 2, more Day 2, Day 3

3. Creepy Higurashi-like girl. Supposed to be like Takeda's artstyle. Oh maaaaaaan. :( I failed big time.

Partly because of the creepy girl, and partly because of a wonderful accident, I switched gears the next day.

4. 2nd and 3rd gen replicas from template (see discussion below)

[hide]I went ahead and printed off an 8" x 10" version of one of Takeda Hiromitsu's smiling, happy-faced girls. I put a piece of paper on top of it. And I began to trace. I didn't trace everything. I just traced the borders of the eyes, the outermost border of the iris, the border of the mouth, the shape of the head, and the outermost borders of the hair.

What resulted was an almost-perfect chibi-style template to help me learn the basics: how size, position, and shape of the eyes' components can determine the character's mood. I soon learned that there are really only three things that really matter when it comes to eyes:
- the iris (size, shape, etc)
- the sclera (size, shape, etc) + the upper eyelid/eyelashes
- the eyebrow

And I noticed that it was the first two which mattered the most. Eyebrows mattered, but they were in a distant third. So I set to work experimenting with eye sizes and shapes ...

Earlier this morning ...
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/talon87/DSC09862.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/talon87/DSC09864.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/talon87/DSC09867.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/talon87/DSC09869.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/talon87/DSC09871.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/talon87/DSC09873.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/talon87/DSC09875.jpg[/hide]

Earlier this afternoon ...
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/talon87/DSC09866.jpg (just the bottom half; the top half was from earlier)
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/talon87/DSC09859.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/talon87/DSC09854.jpg

Conclusion:
- the going is slow
- the respect for Sdeo, Takeda Hiromitsu, et al is growing
- but it's really fun and relaxing, actually
- and I'm really happy I decided to experiment with chibi eyes instead of Takeda's eyes because it means I'm focusing on the much more important stuff (eye shape, eye size, etc) and not worrying about how to shade the iris or the pupil properly ;p

SdeO

Tomoe Fascination
Nov 14, 2006
I was waiting until I had a new sketch to post here, but again,
I can't use the tablet for now... :death:
I kept this up for a few days with no real sign of progress imo. :\
A few days aren't enough, you must keep drawing daily for months and months before any sign of progress appears.
- but it's really fun and relaxing, actually
Then, there's nothing to fear my friend, you'll succeed!:hero:
Also, don't hesitate in tracing, copying or do whatever that can be of help for you, there's nothing wrong with that!