Torrent Poster Thread: Need More JAV Posters

201flyer

Akiba Citizen
Dec 8, 2009
cfu000, thanks for contributing to this thread!

I think the only thing the link points to is the actual title. So, if HD or SD is in the title bar you will see it by hovering over the link. However, I was specifically asked by CoolKevin not to include that information in the title bar. That is why you only see it in some of the Feb titles and none of my March titles. Other posters are still adding this to the title and I suppose they will until they are asked to stop. A pity because I think it is useful, as would be the date (month/year of release). Personally I think it would be much more valuable than Japanese in the title bar. I'm really not sure what purpose Japanese serves in the title bar given this is an English forum. It could easily be placed in the post body for those wanting to translate for themselves.

CoolKevein, if you are following this thread would you consider any of this? Suggested title bar: [product code][LQ, or 720p, 1080p][mo/year release] Actress name - English Title
Test body:
Code:
 Japanese name, title 
                                                                                                                                                                                etc......

Electromog

Akiba Citizen
Dec 7, 2009
The reason not to put SD or HD in the title is that all different versions of the same movie will be added to the same thread, so if you post the HD and then later I post the SD, both will be in the thread but the title would only say HD.

Reactions: 201flyer

humpity

Jan 19, 2011
I don't think you should leave out the preview pics on the left, those are mega useful for context.
(The solo titles are only useful for seasoned viewers.) Other than that, I like the idea.

BTW,
"> I have a sore neck and pains in my right arm.."
I solved this by sitting on one of those BackJoy seat buffers.

Last edited:

chesed

Feb 22, 2009
I'll be trying this out for the month of August. I've included the pictures that have been provided by the posters of the torrents. Honestly, I would prefer to have thumbnails that lead to the larger image, but I'm not sure how to do that. If anybody knows how, I would be grateful for your knowledge. =)

Link to thread: https://www.akiba-online.com/threads/august-releases.1753681/

Last edited:

201flyer

Akiba Citizen
Dec 8, 2009
Hi Chesed,

Thanks a lot for rescuing the torrent section! I don't want to be a killjoy, and who knows, maybe Coolkevin has changed his mind. But, in that August thread you are posting in, back when I something similar in March/April, he specifically said to not post photos because they were duplicated in the posts. So, if something goes wrong at least you will know why it went wrong!

On the other hand, I think it is quite nice to be able to quickly brows through large covers rather than the almost unusable thumbnails. So, personally I hope the moderator will allow this to continue!

Coolkevin, please reconsider. If in favor can you make August a sticky?

chesed

Feb 22, 2009
Hi Chesed,

Thanks a lot for rescuing the torrent section! I don't want to be a killjoy, and who knows, maybe Coolkevin has changed his mind. But, in that August thread you are posting in, back when I something similar in March/April, he specifically said to not post photos because they were duplicated in the posts. So, if something goes wrong at least you will know why it went wrong!

On the other hand, I think it is quite nice to be able to quickly brows through large covers rather than the almost unusable thumbnails. So, personally I hope the moderator will allow this to continue!

Coolkevin, please reconsider. If in favor can you make August a sticky?

I discussed it with him prior to posting and said I would use the pictures that were already uploaded by the torrent posters. All im doing is posting links to the pics that have already been uploaded. It would increase the pic traffic, but it won't add any more data (pictures) as I'm not uploading any. I hope that's okay. I can always remove them if it's a problem.

Edit: I don't normally use my phone to browse the site, but in doing so, the thread looks really nice with the pics. Very uniform and convenient.

201flyer

Akiba Citizen
Dec 8, 2009
OK, that is good! I hope it will be a sticky otherwise it will be lost as soon as you stop adding to it.

chesed

Feb 22, 2009
OK, that is good! I hope it will be a sticky otherwise it will be lost as soon as you stop adding to it.

Even when I add to it, it doesn't get bumped since it's all one post that I'm editing. =P I'm wondering if it'd be better If I made a post for each popular Distributor and remaining releases in a Miscellaneous post. It might be a bit more organized, rather than one giant wall of fun. Also, it would load fewer images when the thread is opened, so it can use the multiple page function.

Just a few days into this, and it already seems quite nice to see all the August releases at a glance.

I'm guessing CoolKevin is waiting to see how the thread looks or makes sure I don't screw something up before it becomes a sticky.

Edit: I divided them up, giving each major/popular Distributor its own post. It didn't seem to be enough to trigger page 2. Buu~

Last edited:

201flyer

Akiba Citizen
Dec 8, 2009
I like the idea of grouping them by manufacturer or distributor. It certainly makes it easier to search! They really need to be stickies or they will just get hoplessly lost. If you reply to your post it should bump it to the top but how many times can you do that?

Reactions: chesed

chesed

Feb 22, 2009
I like the idea of grouping them by manufacturer or distributor. It certainly makes it easier to search! They really need to be stickies or they will just get hoplessly lost. If you reply to your post it should bump it to the top but how many times can you do that?

Okay, so looking through the site, I realized that much has been done to minimize bandwidth. This is probably why CoolKevin has been against the use of images, even though there is no double upload of images. So, I changed one section to thumbnails to see how it looks. It's still more useful than just text links, but not as good as using the full images.

Also, I had to create the thumbnails manually, which takes about four times the amount of time per post. It doesn't even function normally:

The torrent poster uploads the images and it creates a thumbnail automatically, with a link to the full image. To do this, it uses the ATTACH bbcode and references a number. So when a user navigates to the thread, they can click on the thumbnail and a convenient pop-up window appears with the full image.

However, if I use this same tag and code in another thread (the megathread, for example), the thumbnail does not appear. It becomes a text link and the link leads directly to the image (no pop-up).

So what I end up doing is copy/paste the image link (thumbnail), then copy/paste the link location (large image) as the URL. This leads directly to the image with no pop-up.

It appears I cannot use the ATTACH method effectively in a thread that is not the original thread the picture (attachment) was uploaded to. This makes the convenience of a megathread a bit less... convenient.

I've messaged CoolKevin to see which method he wants to use. I will change the links when he lets me know.

P.S.: I appreciate your input, 201flyer. =)

chesed

Feb 22, 2009
By the by, here's a brief recap of what each method entails:

1. Post with large image of cover with links to thread
  • Very convenient to browse
  • Medium amount of work to post
  • Higher bandwidth (~160kb per image)
2. Post with thumbnails with links to thread
  • Fairly convenient to browse
  • Higher amount of work to post
  • Normal bandwidth (~15kb per image)
3. No images at all / text links to thread
  • Not very convenient to browse
  • Lower amount of work to post
  • Minimal bandwidth

chesed

Feb 22, 2009
Hm, well, he seems fine with the way the thread is, as long as I only link pictures that have already been uploaded (to avoid double posting).

So I guess the question is: Which do you prefer?

1. Post with large image of cover with links to thread

or

2. Post with thumbnails with links to thread
Personally I like the large images of the covers. I may even throw in the thumbnail... of the thumbnails... next to it.

Edit: On second thought, I think I won't post the thumbnails, as the actual torrent post should "have the info" as it were. I'll think of it like picking up a DVD and looking at the cover. If it sparks your interest, you can turn it around and look on the back (click the link to the post) and see thumbnails, actress, other data.

Last edited:

201flyer

Akiba Citizen
Dec 8, 2009
Wow, great job!! It looks wonderful with the large covers and it is super when organized by producer. My only suggestion would be to alphabetize the misc section by product code. My vote is absolutely for large covers!

When I was doing this (without photos) and posting too, my motivation originally was to organize the actual torrent section to be less of a free for all linear hodgepodge where it is impossible to tell old from new. This goes a long ways towards addressing this concern. The biggest flaw, I think (?) is that when new material is added to the August page how does a user know something new is added and to which manufacturer?

chesed

Feb 22, 2009
Wow, great job!! It looks wonderful with the large covers and it is super when organized by producer. My only suggestion would be to alphabetize the misc section by product code. My vote is absolutely for large covers!

Thank you~ :) Sure, I'll alphabetize the misc section, since it's basically all over the place. =P I'll get to it tonight.

The biggest flaw, I think (?) is that when new material is added to the August page how does a user know something new is added and to which manufacturer?

Yeah, there's a couple of downsides to doing it this way:

1) Like you said - I update sporadically and when I add them to the appropriate section, nobody can tell it was uploaded. The only way someone sees a change is if I add a section. That means people will constantly reload the page and need to check again. Images should be cached, so that shouldn't be a problem, but it's definitely a hassle for the reader.

2) This is basically a one-man show. If more than one person creates a post for any given Distributor, then they're responsible for any torrents for that distributor. It could work, but it would require a bit more organizational effort and could also easily make things confusing for everyone (contributing).​

I can do this now because I have some time recently. If the big covers work out, I could probably continue doing this in the future. If we revert to thumbnails... I'm not so sure about that. That's quite a lot of work (tedious), even though it doesn't appear to be.

201flyer

Akiba Citizen
Dec 8, 2009
My original idea (totally shot down for reasons I still don't fully appreciate) was to simply have monthly threads for each major manufacturer to which any poster could add. This would create an automatic organization because each new reply would bump that thread to the top. So all SOD, SI, Prestige, etc, would simply have a page tied to the month in question. Over in the Jav Down Load section some of the pages get rather long, especially the stickied pages, so I'm still not understanding how or why this would break the system at Akiba since it is already in place? The benefit would be that the page chesed is doing would be unnecessary - new material would stand out and be easily located instead of relentlessly falling to the back of every new post. Anyway, I seem to be beating a dead horse.

chesed

Feb 22, 2009
My original idea (totally shot down for reasons I still don't fully appreciate) was to simply have monthly threads for each major manufacturer to which any poster could add. This would create an automatic organization because each new reply would bump that thread to the top. So all SOD, SI, Prestige, etc, would simply have a page tied to the month in question. Over in the Jav Down Load section some of the pages get rather long, especially the stickied pages, so I'm still not understanding how or why this would break the system at Akiba since it is already in place? The benefit would be that the page chesed is doing would be unnecessary - new material would stand out and be easily located instead of relentlessly falling to the back of every new post. Anyway, I seem to be beating a dead horse.

I think the most telling portion of what CoolKevin said earlier in the thread is that they treat this site as a database. I think the idea is when you do a search, say for a DVD code, and specify the section (JAV Torrents/no child forum) you should only get one hit - one thread that contains the original post and all formats (SD/HD/etc.). You would have no problem finding the torrent. This is the way they chose to organize the information.

If we did your way going forward, the hits would be a specific thread, but "a post somewhere in that thread." I'm not sure if it'll go to the specific post -- it probably can, since each post has an I.D., but it would be quite different than what came before. So you would have two different organizational systems at the same time, separated by the point in which the system changed. I mean, you gotta start the change somewhere, but I can see the potential discombobulation that would occur.

So instead of changing the organization, I think CoolKevin is more onboard with a megathread because it doesn't disrupt the current organization. It's more work for the userbase, of course. But as hairy_bush said, the torrent section doesn't generate support for Akiba directly like the Downloads section does, so I'm guessing that such changes as you propose probably won't get the steam you want.

For the record, I, too, preferred the way SLF was. When new stuff was released, it was so easy to see the covers and what was new. It didn't require me to click on anything to browse through. Here, you have to click on a thread just to see if it fancies you. What this megathread idea of yours does is try to bridge that gap, to make it super easy to see if there's something new you like (which is why I love the idea), but yeah, it's a convenience patch for something that's not innately convenient.

chesed

Feb 22, 2009
Honestly, I think the issue is that it's message board software that being used as a database. It's designed to be for discussion, and thus ease-of-use as a torrent/download site is not inherent in its function. Idealistically, each torrent would have information attached to it (manufacturer, actresses, cover picture) and one could query by release date for a specific month and you'd get exactly what you want, with a customized interface with all the covers shown. It's tough to work around these limitations, probably more than I could know since I'm not an admin, but yeah.

chesed

Feb 22, 2009
BTW, I've seen a number of releases for September, but I haven't been including them. Should the thread be for "torrents released in August" or "videos with a release date in August?"

hairy_bush

SLF Refugee
May 20, 2016