Share FAQ

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
Oh no, Then that would be difficult to know which port is not blocked by my ISP... :victim: Headache...
Just try a port or two in the high range 20000 to 65000 and see if it makes a difference. If your ISP is blocking the port, you shouldn't see any upload or download activity at all.
Well, I'm still using XP SP2... Still not courage to disable my firewall yet... :distressed: Hmmm... What to do next...?
Does SP2 have a firewall? If not, why not upgrade to SP3, and then try that one?

jupiter999

loves Tada Mizuho only...
Apr 2, 2008
Just try a port or two in the high range 20000 to 65000 and see if it makes a difference. If your ISP is blocking the port, you shouldn't see any upload or download activity at all.

Does SP2 have a firewall? If not, why not upgrade to SP3, and then try that one?

Well, :distressed: my PC is old one...
Worried that higher requirement for such SP3 is needed...

jupiter999

Apr 2, 2008

TLTw804

Oct 26, 2008
Fuurin, thanks alot for your tutorial, thanks to you i am now not only able to get share working but use it properly too, it rocks.

Secondly I have a question regarding searching, is it possible to search including multiple keywords, for example 美里かすみ+アナル(kasumi misato and anal) or other such combinations? Or is the only way to do this by setting a general trigger like anal and then search for kasumi within the db the trigger collects?

Thirdly to all those people who are getting share to connect but finding that nothing ever starts downloading i suspect i know a cure. I had the same thing happen so i tried messing around and found that if you create your folders ie upload,download,cache (Making sure there is at least 4 gigs in your upload folder) before setting up your node list this doesnt happen. Each time i tested it i did so from a complete new setup, ie deleted everything and re-extracted Share from the rar file.

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
Secondly I have a question regarding searching, is it possible to search including multiple keywords, for example 美里かすみ+アナル(kasumi misato and anal) or other such combinations? Or is the only way to do this by setting a general trigger like anal and then search for kasumi within the db the trigger collects?
It strikes me that multiple keywords works. Did you try it?

TLTw804

Oct 26, 2008
I did try it but i didnt get any results, I tried to workout how to do it by searching for things already found in the data base. Ill go and give it another try and see if the good old operator error was in effect or not

gagagoogoo

Jul 18, 2008
First of all, appreciate all the inputs by the regulars for the different queries. Helps a lot for lurkers like me.

Tried this program yesterday and didn't quite work out. Saw your tutorial and tried it again. Not sure what I did different today but now it's working great :)

What I wanted to ask here is a bit more basic than what most ppl here are interested in: what is the point of using Share when apps like Bittorrent is around that can pretty much max out your bandwidth? I know that anonymity is a big plus for users in Japan but what's in it for others? Or is it just a matter of content?

Thanks.

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
Share EX2 can max out your bandwidth as well. In fact, I find Share to be faster than utorrent for fresh posts. There are far more Share users on T1 or T3 connections than there are on torrents.

Anonymity is a concern in Japan. There have been a couple of well-publicized arrests of big rippers and uploaders on WinMX and various BBS's. However, mainly I think it is just a matter of what people are used to. BitTorrent is kind of hard to use, and there aren't any public trackers in Japan. Share is very similar to Winny, so Japanese people find it easy to learn. Neither of them have caught on in the west yet, but if you are looking for rare Japanese videos, Share is probably a good place to start.

gagagoogoo

Jul 18, 2008
Thanks. Will continue using it for a while and see how it goes.

btw. Pasted some plugin hashes in the trigger section but have not been able to find/download a single one. Thought these things would be more popular and therefore faster to download?

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Yes, Share can give some incredible speeds. On brand new files, I usually get about 800KB/s. One of my friends is able to get as high as 2MB/s with his FTTH connection. The difference is because Share opens up fewer connections but each with more bandwidth, rather than bittorrent which opens up dozens (if not hundreds) of smaller connections which becomes inefficient. As a point of comparison, my bittorrent usually peaks at 500KB/s no matter how many torrents I'm running.

Of course Share isn't perfect. If a couple of high-bandwidth "peers" disappear, your files could quickly slow to a crawl. So both have their pros and cons; it just takes figuring out what each P2P program is good for, then using that to its max.

Just to add a quick note about anonymity, there is no perfectly secure system. It really depends on what files you're trying to download. (After all, bittorrent is perfectly "anonymous" if you're not downloading Quantum of Solace or the latest pop albums.)

But the biggest advantage about Share? Content. If you're interested in anything Japanese (anime, manga, tv shows, movies, games, etc), virtually everything can be found in one location. This makes it substantially easier to download hard-to-find files, especially if you don't know about trackers like AO/deadfrog/etc (which are already very limited in what they offer), or don't even know where to start with Google. This is why many people prefer Share to stay "Japanese", and not for westerners to flood it with non-Japanese material.

gagagoogoo

Jul 18, 2008
Man, those are some incredible speeds. My connection tops out around 350KB/s so I guess speed shouldn't be an issue for users like me.

Agree w/ you on the content side. However, what I like about bittorrent is the way content is/can be presented on the web. Easier to browse (can check out preview pics, check out the comments made, etc.) before downloading. Whereas in Share you have to connect to the proper clusters, search and then download. And you're still not sure on the validity of the file you're downloading.

In saying, that makes bittorrent trackers / users much more vulnerable as well I suppose.

Anyway, will be sticking to torrents for popular stuff while using Share and ed2k for others.

jupiter999

Apr 2, 2008
I just find my Share didn't work still...
Is it because of regional networking or something...?

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
I just find my Share didn't work still... Is it because of regional networking or something...?
I'm not sure what you mean by regional networking. Share uses your cluster words to look for other nodes with the same cluster words. Are you connected? Does it say "Global IP resolved" in the Log? How many sleep nodes do you have?

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
Thanks. Will continue using it for a while and see how it goes. btw. Pasted some plugin hashes in the trigger section but have not been able to find/download a single one. Thought these things would be more popular and therefore faster to download?
Do you have アプリ among your clusters words? Also run a DB-only trigger for the file name, let it run for a while, and then run a search. Once you find a node with the file, it will download quickly.

jupiter999

Apr 2, 2008
I'm not sure what you mean by regional networking. Share uses your cluster words to look for other nodes with the same cluster words. Are you connected? Does it say "Global IP resolved" in the Log? How many sleep nodes do you have?

:constipation:Well, my problem is still the "Transmission Error"...