Share FAQ

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
Copy the file to your Plugins folder, and then tick it in the Plugins item on the first menu on the toolbar in Share. Don't delete anything. If you really must delete something there is a plugin called OneCacheDelete.

iCake

tender
Jul 26, 2008
Hello all great guide.

I started a couple downloads last night by successfully following this guide. One has finished, the other is still running. I'd like to ask is there anyway to safely pause or resume my downloads safely? as this is my first time using share and I'm a little hesitant to do anything drastic which might result in losing any data I've acquired. my ISP throttles indiscriminately at set intervals if I go over a certain limit, with torrents I normally use the scheduler.

Also is there any point using PeerGuardian2 in conjunction with Share?

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
I'd like to ask is there anyway to safely pause or resume my downloads safely?
Just shutting down Share will "pause" the downloads. They will start up again next time you connect. You can also set download priorities by right clicking on a file in the Downloads window, or use a plugin called DynamicPriority to reorder the list in realtime.

Also is there any point using PeerGuardian2 in conjunction with Share?
If you are living in Japan, and plan to upload files, you might want to try DiffusionProClone which will block Retina Sharebot from detecting what files you are uploading. The plugins Conexoblocker and sharebotblocker do the same thing.

Outside Japan, I doubt any agency would even bother looking for Share users, let alone what files they are sharing. Most of the cease and desist letters that ISPs send out seem to be going to bittorrent users based in the States for downloading American games or mainstream movies.

Summer-Time-Fun

Apr 1, 2007
Edit:
Never mind

My question was answered by Guy --> here

This has been a great/helpful thread!
icon14.gif

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
In regards to->>> this post:
When adding a hash->>> [Share Plugin] [PDK10] CacheDumpExEro_v0021.rar 316,495 f01b3ea5115727f05ce575dc43f9d3ec3cd99549

Is it just the last set of numbers in the hash string that needs to be added in Share's trigger/hash dialog box?
Example:
f01b3ea5115727f05ce575dc43f9d3ec3cd99549

And then would I need to put the name from the hash string in the trigger/keyword box?
Example: CacheDumpExEro_v0021.rar

That's correct, but there's an easier way. Just copy this whole line:
[Share Plugin] [PDK10] CacheDumpExEro_v0021.rar 316,495 f01b3ea5115727f05ce575dc43f9d3ec3cd99549

Then click this button:
triggerlz7.jpg

@ Guy, When you said to, "add TESTER_WORKS is in your clusters list" I don't understand what that dose? I thought the cluster words were just for locating files with similar keywords, but it sounds like the hash number strings kind of do the same thing? Can someone please clarify what the main differences between a hash, and a cluster is?

Thank you

Hash locates a specific file (every file has a unique hash). When you add a hash as a trigger it will only match one file.

Trigger keyword locates any file that matches the keyword (lots of files can have similar filenames). For instance, you can create a recurring keyword that will download every file that matches "ドラマ" (you can further refine this by telling Share to only download files within a certain file size range, or by only downloading files from a certain user). Of course if your trigger keyword is very specific, it could also match only one file, or even no files.

Cluster keywords are completely different. They connect you to other peers that have the same cluster keywords who therefore are more likely to have the files you're looking for; but cluster keywords don't actually download anything.

For example, if I want to download the drama/tv show 正義の味方, I should add ドラマ (drama) and/or テレビ (TV) to my cluster keywords, because peers that also have that keyword are more likely to have the files I want than, say, peers who list 同人誌 (doujinshi, amateur manga) as their keyword. TESTER_WORKS is the cluster keyword for downloading anything relating to the Share program itself (new versions of Share, plugins, etc).

edit--

Glad you figured it out. I'll leave the information up anyway in case anyone else is confused.
:goodboy:

Hebi

Feb 19, 2007
Hello! I have a problem with Share...
A file have been completed but I can't see it in the "download" folder...

81b80babafa7ad19cdc69eb8b3e20.jpg

Anyone knows what happened? =/

Another question:

Where can I find share's plugin? (apart from share itself)

Thank you :)

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Check the Tasks tab to see if it finished converting. If it had an error, go back to the Download tab (as in the screenshot), right click the file, and choose Convert.

You can download plugins just like you would download any other file -- search for it, or add a trigger. To add/enable a plugin after you've downloaded and extracted it, choose Settings > Plugins, and add the dll.

Hebi

Feb 19, 2007
Thank you guy! The converting wasn't finished yet :)
Which plugins are essentials? For now, I've just added the "noderefresh" plugin, so...

Hebi

Feb 19, 2007
Thank you so much for this invite!

I have few questions (sorry for my bad english):

A couple of days ago, I wanted to download a new movie (Tokyo Shonen with Horikita Maki), so I made a hash search with http://www.sharedb.info/ and I found the hash.

I've seen that there was only 50 (people in?) sources for this file.

I've added this hash in triggers and the download started few minutes later with an amazing speed (~500KB/s). I've downloaded about 1,4GB and then (I don't know why...) the download stopped... And I still wonder why beaucoupe the sources continue to rise:

84cedb60608492a8f9ade5069c31e.jpg

In the "download" tabs I've seen something strange:

1a9c48efac9324b2fc2d830d93e03.jpg

What does this color mean next to the first arrow in comparison with the second one?
Maybe it means that there are no sources for the parts I have to download, but in this case it's strange beaucoup the sources rise...

Help me :please:

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Grey = pieces of the file are available but haven't been downloaded to your computer
Dark blue = pieces of the file that have been downloaded to your computer
Light blue = same as above, but the download is currently in-progress
Black (gaps) = missing pieces

The number is also related: 4,405 / 4,465 means that the file consists of a total of 4,465 pieces, but Share can only find 4,405 of them. It changes to a percentage while the download is active. More directly, your first 3 files have stopped downloading because Share cannot find the remaining pieces in order to complete the file.

You can try changing around your cluster keywords (ドラマ, テレビ, 映画, DVDISO, etc) in order to find other "sources" by connecting to other peers. Or you can use a plugin like CacheDumpExEro to force-convert the file by filling in the gaps with 0's (which will obviously create problems for some files). Unfortunately, this is one of the weaknesses of Share: once a file starts getting old, pieces start to disappear from the network.

In the meantime, you should start keeping an eye on your cache folder. When Share converts a file after it's done downloading, it still retains a copy in cache (effectively taking up twice the space of the file). If storage isn't an issue, you can worry about this later (I'll spare you the details because the solution will seem a little arcane) -- just focus on getting the hang of Share. But be prepared to deal with this oddity sooner or later.

Hebi

Feb 19, 2007
Oh okay thank you, I'll download this plugin and change some clusters and see what happen :)

A few minutes ago I had to reboot my laptop. When Share opened I see that some downloads have the status "init failed"...

ad46cc82d0afa5969abe31940ec38.jpg

What can I do ? T_T

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Hurr...

"init failed" means that Share couldn't open the cache for those files. You can try restarting Share again to see if it helps, but I don't know if it's a problem with Share or something your laptop did.

Worst case is that you have to delete it from download, and re-add it again. But at least judging from your "before" screenshot, the priority 3 file was only at ~5%, and the others are relatively small files.

Hebi

Feb 19, 2007
Oh yeah thank you, it works now ! Sorry for these stupid questions :)

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
Reclaiming space on your hard drive

There's just one thing I'd like to add. The only place you are likely to see how many "sources" a file has is in the Task pane, as Share downloads from one or more other nodes. "Cache Amount" in the Queries pane refers to how many pieces of the file are in your Cache folder. This is not the number of sources.

When Share converts a file after it's done downloading, it still retains a copy in cache (effectively taking up twice the space of the file). If storage isn't an issue, you can worry about this later (I'll spare you the details because the solution will seem a little arcane) -- just focus on getting the hang of Share.
We've had a few people raise this question, and I for one would like to know about any possible solutions no matter how arcane. I usually just let my cache folder increase in size. At times it does seem to shrink back, but it's not really clear to me when this happens.

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
Also re. "init failed," you didn't move or delete anything from your cache folder, did you? Also, in the CacheDumpExEro readme, it says init failed errors will appear after using that plugin, and then restarting.

reingiolt

二マ...
Feb 27, 2007
There's just one thing I'd like to add. The only place you are likely to see how many "sources" a file has is in the Task pane, as Share downloads from one or more other nodes. "Cache Amount" in the Queries pane refers to how many pieces of the file are in your Cache folder. This is not the number of sources.

We've had a few people raise this question, and I for one would like to know about any possible solutions no matter how arcane. I usually just let my cache folder increase in size. At times it does seem to shrink back, but it's not really clear to me when this happens.

i once saw a "deleted 4 files from cache" under log. i've probably downloaded over 10 GB already and yet my cache hasn't gone over 4 GB. is it deleting completed files automatically? so if i want to upload the completely downloaded file i need to place the completed file in the upload folder?
btw i also want to join the share ex2 club :goodboy: