What is your highest degree of education?

What is your highest level of education?

• no formal education

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • graduated from elementary school

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • graduated from middle school

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • graduated from high school

Votes: 55 15.3%
  • did not graduate from high school, did later receive GED or similar

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • received certification from a technical school

Votes: 19 5.3%
  • received an associate's degree

Votes: 23 6.4%
  • received a bachelor's degree

Votes: 142 39.6%
  • received a master's degree

Votes: 46 12.8%
  • received a doctorate (Ph.D)

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • received a professional degree (M.D, J.D, LL.B, M.B.A)

Votes: 21 5.8%
  • received a doctorate and a professional degree

Votes: 12 3.3%

• Total voters

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Select the one choice which best describes your highest level of education.

Purpose: I thought it'd be fun to see if our figures are similar to those of society-at-large or not; and if not, in what ways they differ.

This is not a scientific study. It is non-random. It does not check against lying. It does not check against spambots randomly generating votes for any of the categories. Take it for what it is.

This poll only concerns itself with your highest level of education. Therefore, quantity does not matter to this poll. There is no difference between someone with three bachelor's degrees and someone with one bachelor's degree as far as this poll is concerned. Naturally, in real life there is a great deal of difference, but this poll isn't prepared to examine that. Pick the answer which BEST matches your level of education.

For the sake of not biasing people one way or another, I am going to submit my own answer at a random time in the future. Don't be alarmed if you're the first person to submit an answer which shows up in the poll! ^^;

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
the border between genius and madness is a very close one...

Quite right, but I think his statement hearkens more to the fine line between clever and stupid.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
If you've never been to school, you select "no formal schooling." Again, this isn't a rigorous poll which examines how smart you are. (No test can reliably do that.) This is just to see what your level of formal education is. There are idiot professors and brilliant high school dropouts, but that's neither here nor there. Just answer the poll as best it describes you.

Aqua2213

Jul 23, 2008
The majority of material available here is p0rn based, so I guess the Bachelors are the horniest so far... :nosebleed:

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
In the United States, it follows the pattern:

5 years old: enrolled in kindergarten
6 years old: enrolled in 1st grade
17 years old: the beginning of one's senior year in high school (12th grade)
18 years old: one's age at the end of one's senior year in high school

There are always exceptions. Late enrollers, early enrollers. Kids who get held back, kids who skip one or two grades ahead. But as a general rule of thumb, Americans associate 18 years of age with graduating from high school.

One then directly goes from high school to university if:
(a) one chooses to, and
(b) one is accepted into a university to which one applied for entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_school#United_States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College#The_origin_of_the_U.S._usage

cattz

(◣_◢)
Jun 11, 2007
This thread gave me a flashback to sitting in a room down in a creepy
basement for 5 and a half hour periods. Actual room was clean and nice, but the building looked like something out of a Saw movie.

Have to love taking classes you don't care about or learn anything from just because it's a prerequisite.. Apprenticeship is more like slavery also..

Ugh, the memories I blocked out!!
:victim:

meiX2

May 18, 2008
kind of a hit-or-miss...
:puzzled:My actual highest degree is a "professional" one, but since it gave me some ETCS points almost exactly between bachelor and master (IIRC CS master is now 240, bachelor 120, i got 180 plus some odds) i opted for master based on that additionally i took two years worth of hardcore math and physics without ECTS points appointed before that system was established and above the level math/physics for CS master while CS is probably what most closely describes my field in american/international/whatever terms.

Switzerland's educational system used to be not so focused on university. Especially for technical subjects and "hard" science (math,physics etc). While it still is much less than for example france's, it is on its way to adapt to international titles and terms.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
As an American, I 100% admit to the American bias of the wording/degrees. Unfortunately, it's not really possible to internationalize the poll without making it exceedingly complicated. I apologize, and I thank you for your courteous reply.

Professional degree, in the USA, means something like:
- a law degree
- a medical degree
- a business degree
- a pharmacy degree

It usually involves post-bachelor studies (as with law and medicine) or involves a 6-year bachelor program (as with pharmacy).

There are other professional degrees out there. The point is to not confuse them with "degrees associated with any profession, period." For example, being a mechanic is indeed a profession: but a technical license to be a mechanic is nowhere near the same as a professional degree.

On an unrelated note, below is the current status of the poll.

Jackolas

Jan 7, 2008
done master's degree in Chemistry (well similar education. its called different here)

Rhinosaur

Outside Context Problem
Sep 23, 2007
I graduated High School but never had any ambition to go onto tertiary education.
Did pretty well for myself too!

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
I graduated High School but never had any ambition to go onto tertiary education.
Did pretty well for myself too!

I think a lot of people (Including myself, unfortunately) only pursue "higher education" because we lack the proper ambition to enter the real world.

I sure as hell didn't gain any ambition during college, either. Meanwhile, I know of a few people I graduated high school with who went straight into the work force and who are doing very well for themselves.

The person with initiative can make progress with any education, while the person without initiative couldn't do a thing with all the education in the world.

Time to turn things around.....................tomorrow.

akuma2002

Moe is my life!
Nov 8, 2006
Bachelor degree in IT and programming. But i want to be a teacher now

DevilXdevil

creatively retarded
Former Staff
Sep 24, 2008
middle school and damn proud of it XD dont get me wrong i aint dumb or anything i just didnt want to go to high school so i wasted 4 years doing nothing but now i am in the middle of getting my high school diploma (took me 7 days for it) now i need to pay the tuition fee's <.<

kagami hawke

Apr 27, 2010
I graduated from a high school where they had classes for job skills along with the regular academic classes.

Right now I'm working on getting my associates degree, but I have a few semesters left. I took time off for a few years, or else I would have been done by now. lol