what are you running?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
this isnt really tech support but it seemed like the closest place.
these kinds of threads often turn into a 'whos got the biggest dick' competition but i didnt see anything of the same nature and ive just started getting interested in computers recently so i want to ask you:

what is your rig? i got this recently:

i7 860 @ 2.80Ghz
Asus P7P55D DELUXE
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 pair memory (2x2GB)
Antec EA 650W (80series)
Antec SOLO case
Radeon HD 4670
Pioneer DVR-S17J
Scythe Kabuto CPU Cooler
WD 500GB x1 Seagate 1.5TB x1
LG 21" flatscreen

Win 7 Ultimate x64

another member made a thread dealing with environment so i put my os in too, but its not essential.

while youre here why not put in what youre playing too?

im not a big gamer and i didnt get my computer to play games but having a desktop and a card that can handle light gaming i (for the first time ever) dld 2 games. i only really like shooting games and the 2 at the top of the list were COD WW2 and Battlefield BC2. theyre borrowed so i dont play online or anything but they are fun i guess.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
If you liked COD WW2 you should borrow/pirate COD:Modern Warfare and COD:Modern Warfare 2. Much tighter storytelling and gameplay all around.

My setup is a bog-standard old Core2 Duo in an Antec Solo case. Great case, by the way. But the best features are some of the peripherals:

NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXi 24".
3M MA200B desk-mounted LCD mounting arm.
FILCO Majestouch Tactile Touch keyboard with Cherry Brown keyswitches.
3M AKT180LE sit/stand keyboard tray.
Swan M200MkIII 2.0 Active Desktop speakers.

techie

SuupaOtaku
Jul 24, 2008
ha ha.... prickwaving contest huh

Well I shall make up for the pitiful hardware at the end...

AMD 64 1.6GHz 2 GB RAM, 3 x 80 GB HDD on an old semi defunct but well working 17inch crt monitor.
On the other hand I do have a 512 MB NVIDIA vga adapter at least.
My sound leaves lots to wish for, and so does many other things...
running Ubuntu 9.1, Win XP Pro and a heap of junk on it...

But I am "waving this little thing" in wide open spaces on my 100 MBps line :)
Now THAT's what I call BroadBand.

kbryc08

Master Cheef
Super Moderator
Nov 17, 2006
My rig is 4-5 yrs old except for a recent cpu/gpu/mobo replacement.

E8400 w/ 8gb of ddr2 800
ati radeon hd4850
20" sceptre
ecs p45-ta black series
klipsch 5.1 system w/ additional gmx sub
vista 64 ultimate

All on a progressively shittier dsl line, where is my damn fios

isityours

Sep 27, 2008
If you liked COD WW2 you should borrow/pirate COD:Modern Warfare and COD:Modern Warfare 2.

thats what i meant, COD MW2 not WW2. shows how much i know (cant even get the name right). thanks.
do want to try Modern Warfare as well.

edit: having researched there is an older version called World at War 2 which you assumed i was referring to. learn something new every day.

those are some mighty nice speakers btw.

...on my 100 MBps line...

lets hear it for 100Mbps fibre. the ONLY way to broadband.

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
Unfortunately, the last time I needed a new computer I made the mistake of buying from a certain, well known, company that rhymes with "HELL" (which is oddly appropriate). Its not a bad rig, but if I want to do any upgrades I'll have to do a complete overhaul. Should have just built my own. Definitely will not make that mistake again.

At any rate:

Q6600 Core2Quad
Asus made ATI Radeon HD 4850
nvidia motherboard
4GB Samsung RAM
1TB Samsung Spinpoint HDD
2 X 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black HDD

running crummy old Vista home, waiting to make the switch to the new version of Ubuntu next month! Used to play a lot of games, now I'm just a net junkie, so "bye bye" windows! Maybe I'll keep it around in a virtual machine, but I'm sick of having it as primary OS.

lets hear it for 100Mbps fibre. the ONLY way to broadband.

I'm officially jealous! :giveup: I'd work the hell outta that connection!

isityours

Sep 27, 2008
Should have just built my own

it really is the best way

if I want to do any upgrades I'll have to do a complete overhaul

for that very reason

2 X 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black HDD

so you chose the caviar black in the end.

I'd work the hell outta that connection!

i do what i can. (thats usage since i last installed either the client or windows, i dont remember which but in the last few months anyway).

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
so you chose the caviar black in the end.

Actually, I still haven't got a new HDD yet. Those 3 I've had for a while and their platters "runneth over." I'm pretty much down to the wire now!

I'll probably wind up getting a Samsung 2TB. I'm very impressed with the performance of the spinpoint I have, and about $170 for 2TB isn't bad. They're very quiet, and that will be a welcome change from the noisy caviar black drives.

i do what i can. (thats usage since i last installed either the client or windows, i dont remember which but in the last few months anyway).

Holy cow! I'd be lucky to upload that amount in a year! I tip my hat to you, sir.

On another note, how are you liking your current build, isityours? I mean, did everything get up and running with minimal tweaking? Are you liking the performance? Do you feel you got what you wanted from it?

Sorry for the inquisition, but, as I eluded to, I'm hoping to do a new build myself sooner than later and I love getting other peoples opinions about components.

isityours

Sep 27, 2008
i researched parts for several months, during which time everything went through a cylcle of renewal etc, but as i had little to no knowledge of computers (im hardly any further along now) i thought it would be a good chance to learn something new. so looking at all different reviews etc and talking to the guys at the computer shop (you have to pick who you talk to as some of those guys dont really know what theyre talking about) i choose a time to buy. i had originally planned on the i5 but the new processer came out and it was only a few thousand yen more for the i7. i decided on the P7P55D Deluxe because, although the standard or evo would have been sufficient, who wants to upgrade a motherboard?
other than that i was on a budget so i decided to go for the best quality essentials i could afford. its not particarlaly flash in any one place but overall quality is acheived i think. the system runs rock solid (although i do not overclock so i cant give you any views there) and the system is set to automatically cycle up to just over 3.00Ghz when cpu is under load. i chose the Antec 650 because price, quality and efficiency were in good balance and the drive, although expensive, reads and writes with good accuracy and speed.
i actually had the shop assemble it for me as i dont have a space to do assembly atm and apart from reinstalling os/updating drivers etc i havent had to do anything to it. the front headphone/mic jacks didnt work when i tried them for the first time and upon reading the manual and opening it, found they had connected the wrong jack (HD audio is the bios default setting but they had connected the other plug to the out on the motherboard).
its really overkill for my daily computing but i was on an old toshiba single core laptop for 2 years before that and using vista. the i7 means i can make rips now too.
when looking at parts (from my meager experience) i recommend to look at what is coming in next and what will be going out soon, decide if what is available now will be good enough for you for a few years or not, then wait till the prices drop before buying. it saved me a couple of hundred dollars. also it is sometimes good to just look at the basics. you can add non-essentials at a later date but getting everything at once can sometimes stop you from really examining the ins and outs of the core components as closely as is maybe necessary.
all up (computer, mouse, keyboard, monitor, assembly and warranty etc) i paid 170,000yen (4 months ago). i am happy with what i got.
as you already have a quad-core system then you may be looking at the new i7 extreme 6 core, or the bigger, newer i7 series but the only time my my cpu reaches 100% load is when i use MeguIV (or encode H.264). even exporting from Encore doesnt go over 50 or 60% as a general rule. gaming (as i do it) rarely goes over 20% and just normal use might spike at 20% but sits around 5% or under.
being on the cutting edge is always a short, expensive ride.

techie

SuupaOtaku
Jul 24, 2008

You're way past me on the upload side.
I do what I can on the DL ration right now, grabbing things all over the place. "Information hungry" might be a good acronym in my case.
I am much more on the side of slamming databases across the globe right now as thats a part of my job. Work always tends to get a preferred status on the bandwidth ratio since it pays for the fun stuff.

I noticed though, the fibre only lasts a long as the local area network of the neighborhood. Once you leave your region it drops to a lousy 8 Mbps DSL standard again so it's definitely not all its hyped up to be.

I mean technically speaking I should reach halfway across the globe on fibre speed because the same provider owns the whole stretch of lines.
Guess they prioritize corporate users still though.

techie

SuupaOtaku
Jul 24, 2008
lowleg26 said:
"bye bye" windows! Maybe I'll keep it around in a virtual machine, but I'm sick of having it as primary OS.

Man, they've done it at Micro$oft this time.
You can download Virtual Machine free of charge for Windows 7 so you can run downgraded using Windows XP instead of 7.

Ok so first they didnt admit something was wrong on windows, then they let users keep getting extended support for xp until windows 7 rolls out... and now they kill support for xp but roll out support for xp via virtual machine.

Why can't they simply fix the bugs in XP and roll back everything to what once actually worked?

Lets here it for Ubuntu... if they just could get RealBasic mutlitasking then I could drop Visual Studio too.

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
Man, they've done it at Micro$oft this time.
You can download Virtual Machine free of charge for Windows 7 so you can run downgraded using Windows XP instead of 7.

Lulz, I wonder if a lot of people doing this realize that they can download linux FOR FREE, then download VirtualBox FOR FREE, and load up XP using their old XP install disc. No crummy new windows OS required! And probably a lot less complicated in the long run. Whatever old XP programs they needed, they can have in a nice little sandbox! Not a perfect solution for everyone, but better than forking over hundreds of dollars for a new OS with a downgrade option.

Why can't they simply fix the bugs in XP and roll back everything to what once actually worked?

Because they hate us!

Lets here it for Ubuntu... if they just could get RealBasic mutlitasking then I could drop Visual Studio too.

Agreed. Yay for Ubuntu!

Now if ATI would just put out some decent linux drivers (or at least give me fan speed control), i'll be in business! :grassdance:

techie

SuupaOtaku
Jul 24, 2008
Because they hate us!

Agreed. Yay for Ubuntu!

Now if ATI would just put out some decent linux drivers (or at least give me fan speed control), i'll be in business! :grassdance:

LOL... Agreed.

Oh fanspeed control ya want...
I want drivers that let me use full screen resolution for my NVidia card.
I cant get above 1024x768 in Ubuntu :(

I'll give ya fanspeed control

Take one pair of nail clippers and a small screw driver.
(dont try this one at work folks...)

Cut the fan cable in suitable places...
attach fanpower directly to power supply with a small trimpot in between.
Mount trimpot on desktop and reattach the whole thing...
Now you can tweak the speed best you want.

Who said you needed software to do everything, there is hardware too
(ok dont try this at all perhaps ...)