Things that piss you off.

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

shoreleaveoic

Non Member
Jun 14, 2009
Allow me to clear the fog of ignorance that has wafted in...

You come off as very arrogant in your post.

For everyone of your references you post anyone can post another one arguing in the contrary. The fact is that not everyone agrees that humans contribute significantly to global warming. As this is a message board primarily based around entertainment, I think its safe to say that you are wasting time and should go argue your points of enlightenment in a more suiting forum.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Fine, fine... back on topic: people that think their faith and beliefs are just as good as scientific fact piss me off. You're just as welcome to claim "the world is flat" or "evolution is a lie" as you are "global warming is bullshit." Just don't expect me not to laugh and point.

shoreleaveoic

Non Member
Jun 14, 2009
I don't give much credit to science. Sure, anyone who says that in todays day and in age is labeled a fool but consider this.

Science is the new religion.

Not so long ago if one didn't believe in religion you were considered a fool, idiotic, perhaps even dangerous. Depending on where or when you lived this may have had adverse affects on your "well being".

Today simply replace the words "religion" and "god" with "science" and "scientist" and there you have it. However those who "believe" in science will tell you that everything in science can be proven, which is utter bullshit. Most of what we know as science has many unexplained phenomenons. Science also has millions of theories which can be summed up as "guesses" based on some man's educated opinion. Once in a while another man comes and blows said theory out of the water. Religion was much the same with the explanations given to us by religious text, stories, and then religions would break off from one another as more "theories" or "opinions" came into being.

So I don't give much credit to "science" especially taking into account that most people in the world are poorly educated INCLUDING those in so called first-world countries. Science has brought us more efficient ways of killing our fellow man, bureaucracy, and 24/7 streaming Girl-on-Girl action anywhere on the globe. Other than that it would be hard to argue "we" have achieved anything since the "happiness" index of first world countries and those living in huts has a negative skew (IE those in first world countries have a higher rate of suicide, depression and unhappiness)

But whatever, you will believe whatever you want since your in the "point and laugh" category of the human species. I could give a rats ass what the fuck you think.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Suppose that any drink which starts with the letter C hurts you. Suppose that any drink that starts with the letter W heals you. Suppose that humanity is ignorant of this fact. Here we go ...

Scenario 1: 200 years ago, coffee was the beverage of choice of the people of Planet Mirth. Eventually, coffee fell out of favor -- no particular reason, it just wasn't doing it for people anymore -- and in came chocolate milk. This remained the #1 drink of choice for many years until it was discovered that chocolate milk causes colon cancer. People quit drinking it, and their new drink of choice became coconut milk.

Scenario 2: 200 years ago, coffee was the beverage of choice of the people of Planet Mirth. Eventually, coffee fell out of favor -- no particular reason, it just wasn't doing it for people anymore -- and in came chocolate milk. This remained the #1 drink of choice for many years until it was discovered that chocolate milk causes colon cancer. People quit drinking it, and their new drink of choice became watermelon juice.

In Scenario 1, a young man says on a webforum, "Coconut milk is the new chocolate milk." And he is correct.

In Scenario 2, a young man says on a webforum, "Watermelon juice is the new chocolate milk." And he is also correct.

But the key thing here is this: the young man in Scenario 1 has pointed out that a new evil has replaced the old evil, but the young man in Scenario 2 has pointed out that a new good has replaced the old evil.

If you want to say that science is the new religion because people believe in it (just like people used to believe in God), scientists are almost treated as infallible (just like priests used to be), etc, then I'd say that while your argument isn't 100% solid, it's solid enough in my book: I would agree that in the 21st Century science is "the new religion." It is what most people put their faith in. People trust science.

But if what you want to say is that science is the new "opiate of the masses," or that science is "the new cultural lie," then you're either uninformed or uninformable. The core principle behind true science (true science!) is this: do not blindly accept claims as true. Demand evidence. Demand reproducible evidence.

People used to believe that Moses parted the Red Sea because they were told so. End of story. It's not a very convincing reason to believe in Moses's purported divinity.

People used to believe that the dinosaurs were rendered extinct after a colossal meteor smashed into the Earth. And they still believe this. Why? Because this time the theory actually backed up its claim with good evidence:
- concrete evidence like the massive crater near/part of the Yucatan peninsula in Mexico
- logical evidence like noticing what the effects are when large meteors hit Earth today (they produce cold years b/c of the ash which enters the atmosphere and blocks the sun's rays; same thing with massive volcanic eruptions like Krakatoa) and noting the differences between dinosaurs, based on the fossil evidence we have, and the ancestors of today's animals -- ancestors who clearly did survive the theoretical meteor collision.

If somebody says that it's a fact that a meteor killed the dinosaurs, then he is NOT a true scientist. Maybe he is a child. Maybe he is ignorant. Who knows. But he's not a true scientist. A true scientist would say, "We don't know what killed off the dinosaurs, but the evidence we have today most strongly points towards extinction resulting from an enormous meteor colliding with the Earth and generating several years of darkness and cold which decimated many of the Earth's ecosystems and rendered the physically-large dinosaurs S.O.L. in times of food scarcity."

It's the opposite with religion. If somebody says, "Maybe Moses parted the waters, and maybe he didn't," then people will say of him, "He is not a true believer. He is not a true Christian. A true Christian would have no doubts about Moses's divinity." The only person who gets to be called a true Christian is the guy who says, "Jesus is the Son of God, end of debate."

Religion: afraid of critical thinking, especially when it backlashes.
Science: embraces critical thinking, especially when it backlashes! (e.g. Albert Einstein, Max Planck)

Denamic

Swedish Meat
Staff member
Super Moderator
Former Staff
Dec 7, 2006
Most of what we know as science has many unexplained phenomenons. Science also has millions of theories which can be summed up as "guesses" based on some man's educated opinion.
That's a facepalm statement right there.
A scientific theory is the highest form of fact we have.
Germs? A theory.
Gravity? A theory.
Electricity? A theory.
An educated guess, as you put it, is what in science is called a 'hypothesis'.
It have to go through rigorous testing under very strict scrutiny and review to even have a chance of being called a theory.
If it doesn't pass the scientific process, it's crap and it's thrown out the window.
Once in a while another man comes and blows said theory out of the water.
Correct.
This is a good thing.
However, the way you say it makes it seem like theories are thrown out the window regularly.
What you describe is a scientific revolution, which comes along VERY rarely.
In reality, what usually happens is that a theory comes along that disagrees with another theory slightly.
What happens then is that these theories gets modified to better explain the evidence.
Like the Newtonian gravitation theory and Einstein's theory or relativity doesn't quite agree with eachother, but they're still both right.
The Newtonian version is just less accurate when it comes to really big stuff, but it's accurate for single planets.
Religion was much the same with the explanations given to us by religious text, stories, and then religions would break off from one another as more "theories" or "opinions" came into being.
Only that instead of scrutiny and logic, wishful thinking and manipulation is used.

What pisses me off is argumentum ad ignorantiam.

shoreleaveoic

Non Member
Jun 14, 2009
That's a facepalm statement right there.
A scientific theory is the highest form of fact we have.
Germs? A theory.
Gravity? A theory.
Electricity? A theory.
An educated guess, as you put it, is what in science is called a 'hypothesis'.
It have to go through rigorous testing under very strict scrutiny and review to even have a chance of being called a theory.
If it doesn't pass the scientific process, it's crap and it's thrown out the window.

Correct.
This is a good thing.
However, the way you say it makes it seem like theories are thrown out the window regularly.
What you describe is a scientific revolution, which comes along VERY rarely.
In reality, what usually happens is that a theory comes along that disagrees with another theory slightly.
What happens then is that these theories gets modified to better explain the evidence.
Like the Newtonian gravitation theory and Einstein's theory or relativity doesn't quite agree with eachother, but they're still both right.
The Newtonian version is just less accurate when it comes to really big stuff, but it's accurate for single planets.

Only that instead of scrutiny and logic, wishful thinking and manipulation is used.

What pisses me off is argumentum ad ignorantiam.

Scrutiny and logic? Hardley, scientist argue among themselves too much, and you can't tell me that thinking and manipulation isn't a part of that whole hogwash on global warming. Hell, scientist also believe fluoride is good for your teeth...nuff said.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Let me take a wild guess: you grew up in a home where the parents were intellectually incurious. You recieved a mediocre education and didn't care for studying. Printed words make your brain hurt. You watch anti-intellectual garbage like FOX News. The only exposure you've had to science are bickering talking heads on TV. You get frustrated because you don't understand the issues. You prefer to have your opinions given to you by others. You get angry when your beliefs are threatened by logic.

You're going to die angry and miss everything cool in life.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Okay Rollyco, that was a cheap shot at FOX news. At least they go through the motions of beiing impartial and try to act patriotic. I'm not saying they are, just that they put up a better front than ABC, CBS, NBC, and CNN. All of which are sensationalist orientated programs masquerading as real news. These are the type of shows that pray for natural disasters so they will have a ratings boost. You can almost get a better impartial view from the BBC,(almost).

I'll accept the whole mediocre education thing, funny though, you could say Einstein had a mediocre education. I'm not saying I'm Einstein, far from it, I am saying that education doesn't equate to intelligence, wisdom. or social aptittudes. I will admit that it does promote the same though.

On the whole global warming thing...I don't know. No one seems to be able to agree on the whole thing in the scientific community and I think the whole issue is overrated. The earth has been around a long time and it has been warmer than it is now in the past. That is one of those scientific facts, dinosaurs don't "do" snow ya know.

As far as religon and science go I have no problem with them living in concert. As a matter of fact they often compliment each other. Scientists understand the concept of faith quite and well many are religious themselves. For the most part those with religious beliefs only find it objectionable when they are called ignorant and foolish. But then who wouldn't?

I probably don't belong in this thread because I'm not really pissed off. I was just bored and thought I'd put my two sense in.

Peace out,
Ceewan

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Teenagers, young adults, and the mentally handicapped getting into off-topic arguments on media websites.

Tonight (err, this morning? 3:28am local), I was watching the latest episode of Hell's Kitchen on Hulu. After I finished it, I scrolled down to read the comments people had made. What did I see? "Karl Marx." "President Roosevelt." "Social security."

What the fuck does this have to do with tonight's episode!?

If you want to get into arguments over economics, politics, religion, etc, I'm not going to tell you "No!" but I am going to tell you to gtfo of my online TV channels and take it to a forum that cares. There are thousands of webforums dedicated to the discussion of (or arguing over) religion, economics, and the like. Hulu is not one of those sites.

In the words of Chef Ramsey, "Piss off!"

shoreleaveoic

Non Member
Jun 14, 2009
Let me take a wild guess: you grew up in a home where the parents were intellectually incurious. You recieved a mediocre education and didn't care for studying. Printed words make your brain hurt. You watch anti-intellectual garbage like FOX News. The only exposure you've had to science are bickering talking heads on TV. You get frustrated because you don't understand the issues. You prefer to have your opinions given to you by others. You get angry when your beliefs are threatened by logic.

You're going to die angry and miss everything cool in life.

Um no...your a little off the mark actually...

I won't go into details because
1. Anyone can makeup shit about themselves on the internet and pissing matches are a waste of time
2. Some of my "material" is actually published and I like to maintain some degree of anonymity on the internet
3. Both of my parents are well educated and immigrated to the U.S. because the B.S. level in their home country become intolerable, you would fit in with the locals just fine I think.

I'm sure your going to retort how your uber smart, have a 12 inch cock, and a million dollars...just like everyone else on the internet. Kudos to you!

If you want to believe everything you read without using some critical analysis that's on you. I've been on the research end of the stick, people get (get ready for it) payed *gasp* to skew data in one direction or another for various reasons. Yea, imagine that, individuals, organizations, companies, and governments don't just hand out grants for the hell of it. They need a valid name standing behind their claims to push one agenda or another.

Educated people using their credentials to skew data for personal gain *gasp* how could it happen!? Well welcome to the real world.

As for missing everything cool in life, you have no idea. Again I'm not going to bore you with details of my life, anyone can makeup stories and look cool on the internet right?

Like I said, I don't care what you think. You want to believe I'm some ignorant hillbilly posting out a trailer in rural Nebraska then go ahead and knock yourself out. I could give a rat's ass either way.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Hells Kitchen, great show, I like it. Ever seen the Fword? I think you would like it.

As far as my comments I just read a few pages and felt like joining in. If you don't like that I got two words for you....

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
people who seem to have eaten wisdom with spoons...

btw.: there was the Fword already...

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I've seen the F Word before when in England, yes. Honestly, I'd love to see Gordon -- can I call him Gordon? XD -- I'd love to see Chef Ramsay open up a kitchen in America in which he teams up with best friends of his and serves royalty and the like. Not because I expect to see him fuck up -- quite the opposite. I want to see the master in action. The F Word (and other Ramsay spin-off series) don't really do enough of this. I want to see the man show the world that the English kick ass at cooking. :D

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
video converters that allow you convert MKV to avi but it doesn't let you pick the subs or audio. Whats the point of it. Probably great if the language you want to convert it to is the default.

silk000

Nov 6, 2007
As i live in china. I get a lot of "Hellos" from chinese people walking past me as they only know one English word. Hello.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Impatient identification requests, it is just not I want to know who this is, it is I want to know NOW!

silk000 for some reason I find that hilarious.

culture_wars_suck

Aug 18, 2009
Things that piss me off:

People who stop the flow of traffic in a hallway (or stairs, pavement, street, etc.), ESPECIALLY AT A CHOKE POINT. (I.E. doorway, escalator, etc.). Why not put up some Police tape while you’re at it? How about being considerate, and taking TWO STEPS out of the flow of traffic before having your impromptu, five-minute conversation? K thx la~

People without disabilities who ride Segways: LAZY ASSHOLES, USE THE LEGS THAT YOU WERE BLESSED WITH! Any able-bodied person that rides around on one of these things (particularly in a high foot-traffic area) deserves to have their smug ass Two-by-Foured right off of that POS and into oncoming traffic.

Hypocrites. You know who you are. Family Fuckin’ Values my ass!

Corrupt cops, politicians, and other public officials who constantly pervert and undermine Justice.

RickyDicky

Dec 27, 2007
As i live in china. I get a lot of "Hellos" from chinese people walking past me as they only know one English word. Hello.
At least they make the effort. In America people wouldn't say hello for any reason. We are a lame country.