Share FAQ

avoner

Feb 11, 2009
What do these green folders with a white cat represent on 2ch Share discussion boards?

bokobokozq3.jpg

avoner

Feb 11, 2009
That seems to be the "avatar" of a user named Bokobokoshiteyannno.

hmm... but there are multiple posts like this and they look different from the others. Also the ID string in the header is unique for a few of them. The link goes to be.2ch.net. Do you know what that is?

http://be.2ch.net

On a different note, I have quite a few questions about Share and its plugins that have been on my mind lately.

1. I've read somewhere that when my IP changes or if I change the cluster keywords, I'll need to either restart the Share program or reset all my nodes to make Share continue to work correctly. Is any of this true?

2. How does the queuing process work in Share? Let's say I'm in a queue to download from someone and then my IP changes. Will I be dropped from that queue or does Share keep track of the queue by ID or by some other method?

3. In Noderefresh there are two sliders related to time, circled green and red in the picture below. Can anyone please explain what these circled sliders do in detail? I find that even if the green circled timer is set at 20 minutes, it doesn't update every 20 minutes, but updates in a much shorter interval instead.

4. Again, in Noderefresh there's a "[Reset] Node system" button, circled yellow. Does this do the same function as the "Clear nodes" button in the Nodes tab in Share? If not, how do they differ?

5. I'm a bit confused as to what the Activate: N.S.E. percentage means and why that's important in determining whether NodeRefresh grabs nodes from the urls or not.

noderefreshzs8.jpg

6. Can anyone please translate this RendaKun setting window?

rendakunnd5.jpg

Thanks in advance for all your help!

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
The white cat is actually Giko cat, the unofficial mascot of 2ch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2channel_Shift_JIS_art#Giko_Cat

It's really just an emoticon, basically like how the onion-man is AO's emoticon, although there are deep-running memes associated with each 2ch mascot. The folder is probably just to simulate a desktop folder; in this case ごみ means "Trash", so the user ボコボコにしてやんよ is probably suggesting something belongs in the trash. It will depend on context of course, and seeing Giko cat (or any of his counterparts) will probably seem random unless you understand the memes.

Further reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2channel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripcode

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
hmm... but there are multiple posts like this and they look different from the others. Also the ID string in the header is unique for a few of them. The link goes to be.2ch.net. Do you know what that is?
http://be.2ch.net
This is just another board at 2ch. The download board is the main place for p2p, but this one seems to be mainly on general topics.

1. I've read somewhere that when my IP changes or if I change the cluster keywords, I'll need to either restart the Share program or reset all my nodes to make Share continue to work correctly. Is any of this true?
2. How does the queuing process work in Share? Let's say I'm in a queue to download from someone and then my IP changes. Will I be dropped from that queue or does Share keep track of the queue by ID or by some other method?
In WinMX, if you log on as a Primary, it keeps all your connections even when your IP address changes. My IP address doesn't change though, so I have no idea what happens in Share. What have you experienced?

3. In Noderefresh there are two sliders related to time, circled green and red in the picture below. Can anyone please explain what these circled sliders do in detail? I find that even if the green circled timer is set at 20 minutes, it doesn't update every 20 minutes, but updates in a much shorter interval instead.
The help file is in English, so your guess is as good as mine here. It seems the bottom timer controls the web site from which the nodes are downloaded, and the top one the nodes themselves. I run noderefresh, but don't really pay too much attention.

4. Again, in Noderefresh there's a "[Reset] Node system" button, circled yellow. Does this do the same function as the "Clear nodes" button in the Nodes tab in Share? If not, how do they differ?
The help file says the bottom one reverts to the default URL.

5. I'm a bit confused as to what the Activate: N.S.E. percentage means and why that's important in determining whether NodeRefresh grabs nodes from the urls or not.
N.S.E. is a measure of Node System Efficiency reached by dividing the number of connection errors by connection tries. RetupmocMCvGEPqYHa thinks when this value reaches 55% it's time to download a fresh node list. Higher numbers lead to the node list getting erased too often. Lower numbers don't improve search/transfers.

6. Can anyone please translate this RendaKun setting window?
The top tick box turns it on. The number is time (in seconds?) between tries. The next box is "complete a circuit/tour." The bottom one pauses searches when the mouse is hovering over the list.

avoner

Feb 11, 2009
In WinMX, if you log on as a Primary, it keeps all your connections even when your IP address changes. My IP address doesn't change though, so I have no idea what happens in Share. What have you experienced?

Unfortunately, I haven't found any definitive information about what happens to Share connections and the program in general when the IP changes. I normally clear the nodes and restart the program whenever my IP changes because of what I had read earlier and it has sort of been a part of my routine. I've never actually carefully examined what happens when I don't restart, but I'll try noticing what happens from now on. It's hard though when I don't understand the inner workings of Share and how it's able to connect to a specific predetermined node. Is it all related to chance?

A few of my downloads are very old and probably only one or two people have 100% completed chunks (actually, I don't know if any completed versions exist - is there a way of knowing?) I'm interested in knowing what my best chances are to find and connect to these sharers and if the size of my existing cache increases those chances.

Thanks again for all your help. I'd be so lost if I had never come across this FAQ, which unfortunately is hard to find if searching for Share tutorials on Google. It is not ranked high there for some reason. This thread beats all other guides I've read, so it should definitely be at the top.

cutemaster

☆℃-ute☆スマイレージ☆
Aug 8, 2008
もしかしたら近々復活するかも??

keydb may be return soon. ?

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
It's hard though when I don't understand the inner workings of Share and how it's able to connect to a specific predetermined node. Is it all related to chance?
Share tries to connect to all the nodes on its node list and all their nodes up to a maximum of 10000. Some of the nodes are of course offline, so it can't connect, and Share will only add nodes with which you share cluster words to your sleep nodes. A few users use plugins designed to cut off users on slower connections, but in general, you probably connect to most nodes that are online and you share cluster words with.

A few of my downloads are very old and probably only one or two people have 100% completed chunks (actually, I don't know if any completed versions exist - is there a way of knowing?) I'm interested in knowing what my best chances are to find and connect to these sharers and if the size of my existing cache increases those chances.
The older the hash, the higher the possibility that the whole file is no longer stored on the network. Anything older than a month is probably hopeless unless some kind soul re-uploads it. I just convert incomplete videos, delete them from my downloads, and go looking for newer hashes. If you want really obscure videos, you probably have to try OpenNap.

degoldro

Feb 1, 2008
I'm using Share for about a month and I have never seen more than 20 threads in Tasks tab (Share down 20). I have several 100 mbit servers in different data centers on different continents but the total thread maximum is always 20. It confuses me, because all my servers are patched to 10K half open connections with no limits for p2p downloads. I usually download movies by actress, Share gives me about 100 movies daily for each actress. What is your maximum number of threads in Tasks tab? Is it any way to get more threads to download faster? I have all options in Share set to maximum - 10000 Kbytes/s, etc

kaluanaamaan

May 27, 2008
Thank you for this FAQ. I followed it and managed to install Share, and I'm now completely overwhelmed at all the content I find. It's fuckin' nuts.. hundreds and hundreds and even thousands of searches match, and I'm downloading at 10-20 Mbit/s 24/7. I find myself using japanese dictionaries and trying to translate words.. it's time consuming but has paid off big time. There's just UNLIMITED amount of stuff out there.

Thanks. Need more hard drives. Need more lube.

Oh btw I also have the max. 20 connected downloads at once.. I wish there was a way of increasing that :/ plugin? Some kind of hack? Registry fix? Anyone know?

kaluanaamaan

May 27, 2008
A question: why doesn't Share remember the files I've already downloaded? They still show up in the query windows with a normal color, and are in no way flagged as downloaded.

How do you prevent yourself from downloading the same files? I mean they should at least change color or something after downloading successfully. The way it works now is when I add something to downloads, it changes blue. Once it's downloaded, the file converts from the cache to the download folder, and the color in the query goes back to normal again.

How have you got around this, or am I missing some vital configuration bit?

Thanks..

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
A question: why doesn't Share remember the files I've already downloaded? How do you prevent yourself from downloading the same files? How have you got around this, or am I missing some vital configuration bit?
If you move the files you have downloaded to your Uploads folder, Share will scan them on start up, and list them as local in a Query.

avoner

Feb 11, 2009
Hi again. I have a question about ways to download from someone and if it's possible.

There's this user with a unique ID who always uploads things I enjoy frequently, like every week, and I want to figure out a way to automatically monitor when he uploads a new movie and automatically add a trigger, sort of how RSS works for torrents, but focused on a specified ID.

The way I do it now is manually look up the user's ID on sharedb.info and manually paste the trigger in Share, but I want to automate this process. However, there's a possibility this process won't always work, for instance if he decides not to post new links on 2ch, so I'd like to know if there's a more effective way to do this automatically, preferably all within Share and its plugins.

Thanks

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
In Share, click on Add trigger. Paste or type in the user's ID. At the bottom, there is an option to "Delete matching query triggers". Uncheck that option, then add the trigger as normal.

Normally when you add a trigger, as soon as Share finds a matching file, it will delete the trigger and therefore stop searching for it. By unchecking that option (and moreover keeping your search terms broad, eg: "anything that matches this ID"), the trigger won't be deleted and Share will continue to search for files that match the criteria.

Also, when Share finds matches, it will automatically add them to its internal database so as not to download the same file over and over again, so unless you're clearing out your database there should be no need to monitor for duplicates.

If you want to disable triggers temporarily (eg: if you want to switch cluster words to find other files), you can simply uncheck the trigger in the list of triggers; then re-check it once you want to re-enable the trigger again.

avoner

Feb 11, 2009
In Share, click on Add trigger. Paste or type in the user's ID. At the bottom, there is an option to "Delete matching query triggers". Uncheck that option, then add the trigger as normal.

Normally when you add a trigger, as soon as Share finds a matching file, it will delete the trigger and therefore stop searching for it. By unchecking that option (and moreover keeping your search terms broad, eg: "anything that matches this ID"), the trigger won't be deleted and Share will continue to search for files that match the criteria.

Also, when Share finds matches, it will automatically add them to its internal database so as not to download the same file over and over again, so unless you're clearing out your database there should be no need to monitor for duplicates.

If you want to disable triggers temporarily (eg: if you want to switch cluster words to find other files), you can simply uncheck the trigger in the list of triggers; then re-check it once you want to re-enable the trigger again.

Thanks, but will this trigger add and download new releases only and not what the user already has uploaded before? I don't want the trigger to download every result that it finds in the database when searching for his ID, only new and upcoming files.

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
You have two choices: on the trigger dialog, tick DB-only, and Share will just save the hashes to your DB, so you can choose what to download. If you leave DB-only unticked, Share will try to download everything new and old. I usually tick DB-only, and then choose.

A

alibi

Time Check Error

I have seen this complaint from many before, but it never happened to me.
However, with the Daylight Savings switch I now get a 'time check error'.
I have tried changing times one hour forward and back as suggested earlier in this forum.
Currently set to Eastern Time Zone.
Suggestions ?

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Typically Daylight Savings time changes occur on a fixed day. But lately Congress (or some other political body) has approved changing the day from the standard leap-forward/fall-back days. Windows XP/Vista has received updates/patches that fix the new DST calendars so that they automatically change the clocks, but as you can imagine Share doesn't know about this update and still anticipates the old calendar.

If you can't get Share to work by setting the clock back an hour, you might just have to wait 1-2 weeks, after which you might find that the Time check error magically disappears.

Summer-Time-Fun

Apr 1, 2007
Time change, Share freaked out

This is not good. Share has been running excellent, until Sunday when I set my clock ahead one hour for the spring change. Now it keeps disconnecting. I remember this being an issue last year and I somehow fixed it by setting the time, but I forget the exact details.

So now today I tried to set my clock back one hour to where it was before Sunday. Then I fired up Share, and I see a message that says, deleting all your cache.
This sucks. I had 130GBS of cache, and it’s all gone. Couldn’t it have at least warned me? I have no idea what just happened. I mean, I needed to push my clock forwarded because that is the time here. Was there something else I was supposed to do to EX before setting my clock?

Btw, now that I've set my clock back, Share is running ok again, but what does that mean, I need to leave my clock one hour behind from now on? I'm not sure why this happened? Also, although it's downloading/ and uploading again, It doesn't seem to be generating any new cache files. The folder is empty.

Thank you :death:

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Never had that happen to me, it's probably a security measure and unfortunately it sounds like there's nothing you can do about it.

Again, Share's time zone checks have been messed up because of how Congress changed the DST dates in 2007. The best thing you can do is make sure you have all the latest Windows updates (XP or Vista) so that the timezone date definitions are up-to-date, and then just wait a couple weeks until DST would normally kick in. Once April is here, you should be able to set your clocks to the correct time, and Share should resume working like normal again.

Be sure to check the Log tab for any other messages.