Share FAQ

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
Share is a Japanese peer-to-peer file sharing client and network for Windows based on a similar model to the program Winny. The Share network probably has the second largest number of new Japanese video releases after OpenNap. Share may be easier for people who do not read Japanese to use than OpenNap because there is no need to negotiate transfers, and one can uses hash values to search for files without the need to be able to read Japanese file names. Download speeds fluctuate greatly, but can run as high or higher than most other P2P clients or web hosters. As many western ISPs have taken to throttling bandwidth for WinMX, BitTorrent and eMule, you may be able to escape this through the use of Share.

You can download the latest version of Share, EX2, from this Megaupload link from the German share-board.6x.to or the French Numerama site. I have attached English locale and hint files for you to download below. Create a Share folder in Program Files, unzip Share EX2 to there, and then replace the locale and hint files. If you get a runtime error when starting the program, run msconfig, untick your antivirus and firewall applications, restart Windows, start Share EX2 and then turn your antivirus and firewall back on.

First, click on Settings, Clusters, and type in five words that other people are likely to use to describe the type of file you are trying to download. The most popular cluster words are AV, DVDISO, 映画 (movie), 無修正 (uncensored), アニメ (anime), ドラマ (drama), アプリ (application), SOD (Soft on Demand), avi, 露出 (exhibitionism) and アダルト (adult). Click in the boxes next to your favourite five, and then click OK. Once you are connected, you can see what other cluster words are popular by clicking on Show Sleep Nodes on the Nodes screen.

Next, Settings, Profile, Settings, type in a Nickname and Password, and click "change key." This will set your ID. On the Network tab, input your upstream and downstream limits. You have to set both for a minimum of 50KB/s, but actually the main thing this seems to affect is the reported speed in the nodes window.

On the same dialog box, the port number should be five digits, and you will need to open up the same port on any software or router firewall you have running. If you are using the Windows XP SP2 firewall, click on Start, Settings, Control Panel, Windows Firewall, Exceptions and then Add Port, ie. the same number as listed in Share - Settings - Network. EX2 is TCP only, so you don't have to worry about UDP. You can leave Performance, Action and Quota the way they are. Hit OK.

Next, you need a node list. A node is just the encrypted IP address of a computer running Share. You actually need only one active node, and then Share will automatically download the rest and store them in the nodes.db file. Nodes keep going offline, so you should try to get as fresh a list as possible. mudijp and p2p-db.net are two popular Japanese lists. Node list web sites tend to come, and go, so you might need to run a search for "Share" and ノード on Google. Be sure to use EX2 nodes if you are running the TCP version. The UDP version NT2 has its own nodes. Copy, and paste the nodes into Notepad, and save the file as nodes.txt into the Share folder. On the Nodes tab, click "Add node," then "Load from file," browse to your nodes.txt file, and select it. Click "Add" and then "Close." Restart Share, so that the new nodes can be used. Don't connect yet.

In Windows Explorer, in the Share folder, create two more folders, one called "Cache," and one called "Download." Back in Share, switch to the Folders tab, click "Add folder," and add your new Cache and Download folders, setting a minimum quota of 4GBs for cache. Set your Upload folder to a folder which has some videos in it which you'd like to upload.

Once you are all ready, restart Share, and then on the Nodes screen, click connect. It will start trying each of the nodes in your list till it finds an active one, and then start downloading others, and checking them too. It may take a while for it to connect to nodes related to your cluster words. Once you are connected, on the Log tab, you should see "Connected. Global IP Resolved. Loading download manager cache." If you have videos in your Upload folder, you should also see nodes marked Share and Diffuse on your Nodes screen and an UL speed in your Status Bar.

Next, you need to set up some triggers for files you want to download. You can use hashes posted in the Share posts in this forum below, or can search for them yourself in online hash databases like sharedb.info or hashdb.com. Japanese boards list file info in 4 parts: Filename UploaderID Filesize Hash. If you have the hash for the file you want, click on the Triggers tab, "Add Trigger" and then paste the hash value into the Hash field, leaving "Add to DB only" unticked. You might want to set a minimum file size of 100 MBs to screen out text dummies or a maximum of 2000 MBs if you want to exclude ISOs. Click "Add." As soon as Share finds the file, it will automatically add it to your Download window and start downloading. Share can only search for a limited number of triggers at a time, so don't create too many.

If you don't have a hash for the file you want, you can set up a trigger to get Share to add relevant search results to your DB. First, on the Triggers tab, click "Add Trigger," type words from the title into the Keyword blank, untick the "Delete matching query triggers" box, and add a tick to the "Add to DB only" box. Now Share will search the DB of all the nodes it connects to for that keyword, adding any matching filenames and hashes to your own DB. If you want to run an auto-download trigger, make sure you delete any "DB only" trigger with the same keywords. Otherwise, Share will just add the filename to the DB rather than starting the download.

Once you have added results to your DB, click on the Queries tab, and search your DB. Orange files are the easiest to download, white is neutral, light blue are the ones you are already downloading, and dark blue the ones in your upload folder. Red files are thought to be fakes. If you find a file you want, right-click on it, and choose "Add to Download."

In the Download window, you can follow the progress of your downloads. Order indicates the number of people in the queue ahead of you, and Status tells you the number of pieces that Share has managed to locate. Highest priority is given to the file numbered 0, but you can increase or decrease the priority by right-clicking on the file. The Tasks window shows you what files are being downloaded at the moment. When the download is complete, Share will convert it from Cache into a playable video, make a note in Tasks, and it will show up in your Download folder.

Share is always uploading files from your upload folders to neighbouring nodes through Diffuse Up (which you can see in your Nodes window), but you can choose particular videos which you want to share, and push them along. One approach is to go to the Uploads tab, and turn on Turbo. This pauses your downloads, and causes Share to upload to only one or two other nodes. Go to Queries, run a Search for one of your own files, right-click on it, and choose "Add to upload." After the file has been uploaded to another node, the filename should turn orange in Queries, and you can shut off Turbo. To further spread the file, you can right click on it in Queries, and choose Convert. This will add the complete file to your cache, from where it will be uploaded to neighbouring nodes via Diffuse Up. You should be careful with this Convert function though because if you've set a low quota for your cache folder, Share may inadvertently delete part of the files you have already downloaded. If you want to shut down Share, but haven't finished the upload, you might want to move the file out of your uploads folder, so that when Share restarts, it won't ignore the parts of the file still in its cache.

drc has also posted an older guide to Share EX2 to the Tech Support channel. You can ask questions about Share on the Winny/Share Download BBS.

akifan

Mayumi Yoshizawa Fanboi
Sep 15, 2007
Did you do all the setup steps correctly, get an up to date node list and restart share first? You'll have to be more specific. Does it try to connect to nodes, do you see any errors under Log or activity under Info? Did you make sure to open a port in your firewall and router?

carrotop

Apr 13, 2007
I HAVE A PROBLEM
WHEN I TRY TO CONNECT MY NODES
IN MY LOG TAB I GET
GLOBAL IP RESOLVED (***********)
DISCONNECTED
DESCONNECTED DUE TO PORT ERROR

I DONT GET IT I MADE A NEW PORT *47777*
AND I ADDED IT TO MY ACCEPTIONS LIST IN MY FIREWALL
AND IT IS THE SAME IN MY SETTINGS > NETWORK > PORT AS WELL

PLEASE HELP ME
THANKS

carrotop

Apr 13, 2007
i dont know if i have one exceptions in and out of firewalls
i just followed the proceeder of making an exception

im really new at this and i dont know a thing about share

and yes im using a router is there a special firewall i also have to bypass

and another yes that i have tire setting another port infact multiple ports
with #s varying between 333-66666

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
You will need to open ports both in and out on the firewall built into your router. You can probably just shut off your software firewall, and use the one built into the router instead. You'll have to check your router manual for how to open ports, but usually you type some address into a browser, and change the settings from there. If this is all too complicated for you, you might want to try WinMX instead. If you connect to WinMX as a secondary, you won't need to open ports.

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
Thanks for the help man. I'm gonna hit up up with some PMs soon about some more help/guidance.
desioner

carrotop

Apr 13, 2007
thanks for the help i got it running i guess..
but am i only allowed to download on item at a time?
also the connection to the nodes keeps disconnecting is that supposed to happen when it has established a connection?
and lastly it seems to be difficult to find certain matches for me as in raw manga volumes
i am having a hard time searching for them

also do plugins help with my search at all ? if so how do i get them

srry about amount of questions, i just trying to get used to this program.

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
Questions

but am i only allowed to download one item at a time?
You can download as many as you want. I usually limit myself to ten or less at a time.

also the connection to the nodes keeps disconnecting is that supposed to happen when it has established a connection?
It is scanning the nodes each in turn for parts from your requested files. Click on show sleep nodes to show which nodes you have connected to. They are more stable.

and lastly it seems to be difficult to find certain matches for me as in raw manga volumes. I am having a hard time searching for them.
Set up a couple of DB-only triggers for the titles you want. Let them run for a while, and then run a query to see if they turned up what you want. Once you have a hash, run a non-DB trigger, and it should start. If it doesn't, run another query for the hash, and start it from there. Make sure you delete your DB-only triggers once you've found the hash.

also do plugins help with my search at all ? if so how do i get them
You can download plugins within Share itself. There are lots of plugins, but they only help with search in indirect ways. Rendakun sends out search requests repeatedly. Jibikikun adds search results to your DB. Trawl Plugin records all keys you scan to your DB. They strike me as overkill, but you are welcome to give them a try. You might want to click on Clubs at the top of this page, and join the Share EX2 Users Club because we are talking about plugins there.

tenchi20

Exclusive Uploader
May 28, 2007

tenchi20

Exclusive Uploader
May 28, 2007
I have downloaded thousands of files on WinMX and Share, but I've never seen a password encrypted file. Can you give us an example?

I include an image how reference:

1.- Each file I see that it has 2 files, the manga and a URL.

2.- I try to extract the file (of the manga) but requests password.

3.- I extract the file " read me" and it says how to obtain password.

lamentably I have found many files of this form, here a list of some of them:

!!!(成年コミック) [The Amanoja9] むちむちぬるん [08-04-30]
(成年コミック) [アンソロジー] ふたなりっ娘らばーず vol.08
(成年コミック) [アンソロジー] ふたなりッ娘 high!
(成年コミック・雑誌) COMIC ino. 2008年06月号 vol.01
(成年コミック) [アンソロジー] 欲情母子 4(PURUpyon西東・白石なぎさ・みなこなみ・みきかず)(080321)
(成年コミック) [カワディMAX] 少女奴隷スクール [2008-03-25]
(成年コミック) [たまちゆき] Mrs.LOLITA [2008-04-17]
(成年コミック) [雑誌] COMIC XO 2008年02月号 - 2008-05
(成年コミック) [深紫'72] Immoral splash! [2008-03-29]
(成年コミック) [命わずか] すぽ魂!

And the list can follow but it could not never finish, not because the archives include that to them since it is a pity, strange it is that he is equal in all the files of the 2008.

PD: Sorry for my bad english.

Aachen

Nov 1, 2007
I can't download over 20kb/s with Share many friends with the same ISP have this problem.... :crash:

there is anything I can do? :death:

zephyrBlack

Sep 11, 2007
that is hard, if you have password protected file then there is no chance you can find it. since there is load of forum and it may not be in the language you know.

agree there is nothing you can do, maybe a proxy but you need the ip address to your proxy.

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
tenchi20, I've downloaded a few mainstream manga on WinMX, but I've never seen this password thing. I've been getting a lot of password protected files on BitTorrent these days. I assume they are fakes, and just delete them.

Aachen, it sounds like your ISP is throttling Share. The easy way to tell is if the upload and download speed are the same. You could try things like Tor or VPN, or switch providers. Hopefully, some countries will pass net neutrality laws soon.

salamander111

Mar 15, 2008
First Akiba-Online post, long time lurker...

I have a couple of questions as I'm an absolute Share newbie. Just got everything set up yesterday. With my cluster words I immediately found 4 DVD ISO's that interested me greatly. I created upload, download and cache folders on a drive that I thought would have ample space.

One of the ISO's downloaded very quickly, and to my surprise I had the block of cache data in my cache folder, and the recreated file in my download folder. While estimating the space I needed to allocate the files I did not realize I would have to double the space. I had some notion that I would have to convert the files one by one once they were complete, and I could do this one at a time, giving myself space to work on the fore mentioned drive.

With space running out I had to delete the cache data. My first question is how do I start to upload the file that has been downloaded (in torrent language, how do I seed) as it stopped uploading once the download was complete. Was it a bad move to delete the file in the cache folder as I want to upload some more?

The second question is not even a Share question, and I could answer it myself with a little experiment (one I am sure someone must have tried before). If I created a DVD from the ISO file, to free up some HD space in order to do a little housekeeping to free up some more space, and then recreated an ISO from the DVD I created, would it be a checksum match to the original ISO. Then I could help seed this file that is very healthy now, but probably not so much in a few days. I have many checksum programs that will tell me if the values are off by even a single byte. So if I create a checksum crc value now, create a DVD, and in a day or two create an ISO from this DVD I could just run the checksum file to see if the new ISO is an exact match. I'm just curious if anyone knows if creating ISO's, from a wide variety of programs creates identical ISO's. The DVD vob, ifo, and bub files would be identical of course, but are ISO's universal.

If the ISO is an exact match I'm guessing the hash would be as well (a hash is just a form of checksum is it not?). How would I go about seeding this file, without creating a entirely different file upload?

Again, I'm a Share newbie. :crash:

wrong

May 18, 2008
Tenchi120:

I can tell you this, this guy is very well known to release "fake" files as well. It is usually a file with a password that can never to be find.

However, you can test out if you want by using a Zip password recovery tool or Zip dencypter or something.

and for share to works, you need 3 things:

1. unlock your port and update your node list.

2. start off uploading 2 gb worth of stuff so it can be convert into "Cache"

3. setup your cluster "words" put as many you can and use w ww.sharedb.info to look for items, or you can go to 2ch... which i hate. also set up your trigger properly... i believe removing the " " from the name helps if you ever paste in trigger.

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
Cache and hashes

With space running out I had to delete the cache data. My first question is how do I start to upload the file that has been downloaded (in torrent language, how do I seed) as it stopped uploading once the download was complete.
Uploads take place automatically in Share. If you put files in your Upload folder, Share will scan them, and start uploading them to a neighbouring node. If there is nothing in your Upload folder, Share will upload files from your cache.

Was it a bad move to delete the file in the cache folder as I want to upload some more?
Share needs 4 GB of cache in order to run. Next time you start Share, it will start all over again, converting the files in your Upload folder to cache and downloading files from neighbouring nodes to your cache. If you had any downloads in progress, it will have to start those over as well. I usually just leave my Cache folder alone. Converting to video should free up some space, and there are plugins like OneCacheDelete if you want to delete specific files from your cache.

If I created a DVD from the ISO file, to free up some HD space in order to do a little housekeeping to free up some more space, and then recreated an ISO from the DVD I created, would it be a checksum match to the original ISO.
I don't know offhand. BitTorrent does not recognize identical files if the torrents were made at different times, but WinMX does, and Share seems to if the file is already in your DB.

How would I go about seeding this file, without creating a entirely different file upload?
Just stick any file you want to upload into your Upload folder. If the identical file is already in your DB, Share will probably assign the same hash. To focus just on uploading, press Turbo, or try plugins like DiffusionProClone.

wotaku

wota-kun
Mar 8, 2008
To clarify, Share uses SHA1 hashes (same as some integrity checking programs) so if the file is identical bit for bit it WILL assign it the same hash. But while ISO file are a standard, different ripping programs /options can create slightly different files (if only in a couple of metadata bytes) and force Share to treat them as different uploads. So while it's possible to recreate the same ISO file from a DVD, it's not necessarily what's going to come out by default.

This is somewhat of a problem with there often being many poorly seeded different "versions" of the same ISO (especially for old releases.) A plugin that allows you to tell Share files are near duplicates so it can download missing blocks from the main download if they are 100% identical would probably go a long way towards fetching old, now incomplete, releases.