Japanese people wish they were white

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.
Oct 6, 2007
Before everyone reems me out for the title, it's not something I believe in. I'd like to start of by posting this video, please watch it before replying.

アニメキャラは白人、それとも日本人?

Yes, it's focused on anime but it still brings up a lot of valid points. Having lived in Korea and been in Japan and while living in Canada being surrounded by international students I'd like to bring up a few points.

TONS of girls I've personally dated have much paler skin than myself and wider bigger eyes. The only thing I have that they don't (aside from a penis) is a bigger nose. East Asians don't get nose jobs to make their nose bigger.

Double eyelids are not a caucasian characteristic either. This may be more of a Korean stereotype but many Koreans (as well as Japanese) are naturally born with a double eyelid. Meaning those that get plastic surgery are not doing it to be white.

Dying your hair isn't having an identity crisis. My natural hair colour is red and I got tired of it after 20 years. I started blonde and then went black. So because I'm dying my hair black does that mean I want to be Japanese? Not in the least, it looks good on me and it's better than my natural hair colour (in my opinion).

If I'm white and I wear colour contacts does that mean I have an identity crisis? No people do it for fun. However when someone who is "non-caucasian" does this, it means they want to be white.

This is just something that gets brought up a lot on the interwebs and it pisses me the hell off. Being a white person, it offends me that other whites would have this mentality and sense of superiority that everyone else wants to be like them. I can understand someone wanting to be Canadian, but not American hahaha

Anyways opinions are welcome, I'm curious if this grinds anyone else gears as well.

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
I don't know if I'd say it pisses me the hell off, but its certainly a good indicator of when I can stop taking a person seriously.

The way I usually hear the accusation worded is "all Japanese wish they were American or European", which is pretty much synonymous with saying "they want to be white" but doesn't sound as racist.

It's an asinine statement to make and is, in essence, baseless. Just because a particular person or group of people in Japan adopt a certain style or look doesn't mean they wish the color of their skin was different or that they wish they were born halfway across the globe. It just means they dig the style.

I highly doubt that the greasers dancing in Yoyogi Park honestly wish they were born in the US circa 1950. :joker:

I think this is just another irrational, broad brush assumption that can be lumped in with the rest of the stereotypes.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
Cartoons are merely caricatures or artistic loose representations of people not actual depictions of people. So it is stupid to say that cartoons are a representation of what a group of people wished they look like. Nobody says Americans wish they had big eyeballs sticking out and orange yellow skin like in the Simpsons or wish to look dark and grotesque like in Invader Zim. Usually people who probably make these dumb ass comments that Japanese people want to be white based on looking at Japanese cartoons are probably the same people who probably think that all anime characters have big pancake eyes and unrealistic hair color instead of actually having diverse artistic styles of animation.]

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
irojiro

I do not think that Japanese people wish they were American or European, there is too much evidence to the contrary. I do think that there are some racial attitudes towards skin color in Japan and that there is evidence to back that up.

To possess 'bihaku' (beautiful white) skin, the ideal porcelain-pale complexion, has been engrained in the Japanese culture for centuries. In the past, women used to scrub their skin with "nuka" (rice hulls) for skin oxidization or grind pearls into powder for swallowing. Nowadays, consumers rely on scientists to play a major role in formulating increasingly sophisticated and safer products.

Although the myth that Asian women pursue white skin is to emulate the stereotypically Caucasian beauty, the original reason behind the obsession with the lighter skin has more to do with social class differences than 'want what you don't have' syndrome. It was believed that a lighter complexion is associated with wealth and higher education levels, whereas darker skin alludes to a life of outdoor labor toiling in the sun.

(Source)

There is even an article in Wiki about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiteness_in_Japanese_culture

While I agree that animations are representaions they do reflect social attitudes and views as seen through the eyes of the animators. It is not unusual to see lighter skinned representations of people in Japanese animation. I do believe that this is how the animators see their characters, with paler skin. That says something, it has to.

I do not think this says anything derogatory about the Japanese, it is just a cultural phenomenom.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
If Japanese want to be white due to their appearance... how in the fuck do you explain these folks?

gyarugirls3.jpg

yamambas.jpg

banba.jpg

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
If Japanese want to be white due to their appearance... how in the fuck do you explain these folks?

Individualistic. No matter the trends or predominant cultural influences, there will always be individuals.

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
how in the fuck do you explain these folks?

Are they in some kind of rodeo clown club? :puzzled:

I'm hoping that's greasepaint and makeup. 'cause if it isn't...:scared:

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Oct 6, 2007
Ganguro is the equivilant to the guidos in Jersey Shore...too much time in the tanning booth.

In reply to Ceewon: I couldn't agree more, the whole pale skin is also a cultural thing in Korea (perhaps to a fault). If you have darker skin it gives the image of a farmer (associated with being poor) because poor folk used to farm all day and get a tan. To that extent most Koreans have vitamin D deficiency by the time they are adults due to always wearing sun screen to keep their skin light. I'm actually glad my GF has a bit darker skin that a normal Korean, that way I don't have to worry about her health.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Actually the vast majority of Ganguro (men and women) as well as gyarro is just face-paint.

Oct 6, 2007
Actually the vast majority of Ganguro (men and women) as well as gyarro is just face-paint.

Perhaps now? I was under the impression the original ganguro used tanning booths. Of course they weren't nearly as dark as the ones you posted. I'm talking the ones from like 10 years ago.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Oh god no, not tanning booths. These people are students and workers during the daytime.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008

gyarugirls3.jpg

yamambas.jpg

banba.jpg

1.People trying to make a case that perhaps some people should have a court order banning them from make up,instant tan lotions and tanning booths.

2.There is a clown college in town mandating that their students stay dressed as clowns even off campus.

3.They want to be circus clowns.

4.They are on break from their job as either a circus clown, rodeo clown, birthday party clown, or Japanese McDonalds has weirder McDonalds clowns than American McDonalds.

5.Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey circus is holding auditions.

I pick option number 3.