How much do you seed?

Elldallan

Jan 19, 2013
I have limited bandwidth and limited usage on my connection so I can't just let things run like a seed box, but on average I seed to 200% as a minimum, sometimes more before I remove the torrent from my client.

In my personal opinion, everyone should seed to 100% as their minimum, that is, they should give back at least what they took, it's only courteous.

I don't entirely agree, 100% minimum is a good standard but there are plenty of situations where that isn't feasible. As I mentioned in my previous post I try to seed at least 100%, most of the time way beyond that. A think to keep in mind is that for every person that seeds a torrent past 100% there is somebody won won't be able to because seeding/leeching is a zero sum game.

If it's a torrent without many leechers I'll stop it whether it's 0.5% of 500% seeded when I consolidate, rename and sort my downloads.
Which I do every 2-6 weeks or so, if a file isn't finished seeding and seem like it might get finished I'll leave it until the next batch, but if it seems unlikely it'll ever seeded to least 100% I do stop it and consolidate without feeling bad about it.

I run Windows so unfortunately the file system doesn't allow maintaining multiple references to a single disk location(meaning you can keep a scrap folder with all the original file names and then copy them elsewhere on the disk and rename them without taking up additional space on the disk) like EXT FS can(or at least I don't know how to do this with NTFS).

Personally I think it'd be awesome if Akiba could implement some sort of uniform naming standard on the video files in a torrent(preferably mandating at least the DVD-code first in the file name).

Last edited:
Reactions: Little Chucky