How do I remove drm protection from R18 video?

Mr.

Dec 27, 2012
So I purchased a video from R18, and I want to get rid of DRM shit. They asked me to install Rplayer :

http://uptobox.com/rmjar5keozgj

Anyways how do I remove drm protection from R18 video? can anyone tell which program to use? I never did anything like this.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
Screen capturing the video while it plays is the only method I'm aware of that's working right now, unless someone managed to break the new encryption(which I doubt anyone did). Bandicam, OBS and FRAPS are popular video screen capture tools.

It takes a pretty good pc to do it though if you don't want dropped frames(which many rips here are plagued with). Doing a lossless pass and encoding it a second time would give better results than encoding it directly to the final file and it requires a less powerful pc.

There's also a few people willing to do it for others in here, check near the end of the thread "Lossy unDRM software recommendations?" in this section for specific names.

Reactions: supersam

Mr.

Dec 27, 2012
Screen capturing the video while it plays is the only method I'm aware of that's working right now, unless someone managed to break the new encryption(which I doubt anyone did). Bandicam, OBS and FRAPS are popular video screen capture tools.

It takes a pretty good pc to do it though if you don't want dropped frames(which many rips here are plagued with). Doing a lossless pass and encoding it a second time would give better results than encoding it directly to the final file and it requires a less powerful pc.

There's also a few people willing to do it for others in here, check near the end of the thread "Lossy unDRM software recommendations?" in this section for specific names.
Can you please do it for me? I can provide you original wmv file. Thanks

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
I'm not really set up for that so it would be better to ask someone who is, like those people I mentioned were offering in the other thread. They'll also need your R18 account infos to be able to download the DRM on their PC.

Mr.

Dec 27, 2012

Doing a lossless pass and encoding it a second time would give better results than encoding it directly to the final file and it requires a less powerful pc.

Can you point me to some tutorial how to do that exactly?, also which tools to use? I will share the movie once done with you so you can share it yourself :) Thanks :)

nin1

Oct 6, 2008
I have many DRM protected files (プロテクト : WMDRM) myself, some of them with a time limit, which I purchased on duga\.jp
For me 'Audials One' turned out to be the best solution to re-encode them with good results. I wouldn't mind to do it for you but I think you should be careful with sharing your credentials.

Mr.

Dec 27, 2012
I have many DRM protected files (プロテクト : WMDRM) myself, some of them with a time limit, which I purchased on duga\.jp
For me 'Audials One' turned out to be the best solution to re-encode them with good results. I wouldn't mind to do it for you but I think you should be careful with sharing your credentials.
I'm left with no option other than passing my account information to you and you can download the movie from there. Lemme know when you're prepared to do it for me. Thanks

nin1

Oct 6, 2008
One question: Has R18 stopped accepting WMP and is now insisting on Rplayer or is it still possible to play your file with WMP? Can you check this please?

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
One question: Has R18 stopped accepting WMP and is now insisting on Rplayer or is it still possible to play your file with WMP? Can you check this please?
Since they changed the DRM, it doesn't work in WMP anymore, you have to use Rplayer or something similar. If his file is new, it's almost certainly not playable in WMP.
Can you point me to some tutorial how to do that exactly?, also which tools to use? I will share the movie once done with you so you can share it yourself :) Thanks :)
Any tool that can do lossless capture will do. There's FRAPS and Bandicam that are pretty popular and can do this, but they're not free.
There's oCam that's the most promising free alternative I found but I never used it since it doesn't support my favorite codecs and it's not something I do, I was only testing it for someone else.
They explain how to set it up here: http://ohsoft.net/help/tips_en/index.php?page=8
Once you have a lossless capture(the file will be huge), then you can use any encoding software to save it into the desired format(I'd recommend h264 with the highest quality profile you can tolerate using). Megui or Handbrake can do that for you and are fairly easy to use(Handbrake more than Megui if I remember correctly) and I'm sure there are tons of tutorials on how to use them if you can't figure it out or you can ask for a specific problem here.

The problem with Audials One is that you have to do the capture in real time so you're forced to use lower quality settings so your pc can keep up. Encoding to lossless is much faster and there's no loss in quality so you can take your time and use better settings when you encode it for the second time.

Reactions: Mr.

nin1

Oct 6, 2008
That's unfortunate. I saw that Duga\.jp has stopped accepting WMP too recently.
Speaking of screen capture as an alternative solution, how about just using Shadowplay / Nvidia?
But indeed, files must be huge... I mean really huge.

Btw. I would consider Handbrake the superior free tool nowadays.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
That's unfortunate. I saw that Duga\.jp has stopped accepting WMP too recently.
Speaking of screen capture as an alternative solution, how about just using Shadowplay / Nvidia?
But indeed, files must be huge... I mean really huge.

Btw. I would consider Handbrake the superior free tool nowadays.

Shadowplay doesn't have an actual lossless recording option, it simply use a high bitrate.
For a 2 hour movie in HD, it's somewhere between 200 and 300GB If I remember right.

Megui is superior in terms of quality because it has access to the many avisynth filters which are the best available(even among paid softwares most of the time), but if you're not going to use any filters and simply re-encode something, handbrake is superior in ease of use. Most software will use x264 libraries to encode in h264(what's in most mkv and mp4) so that side of things doesn't change much as long as you have enough control over the settings.

Mr.

Dec 27, 2012
@nin1 I really appreciate your help but I handled over the task to SamKooK , since he seems to have humongous amount of knowledge in encoding etc. Thanks @SamKook

Justme4jav

May 25, 2014
Trying to follow along but got confused. Are we saying that it is better to record in lossless first? If that's the case, which of the mentioned software do you recommend. Are we then saying after it is recorded in lossless, we then re-encode? If that's the case, what software mentioned is the best for that? I just saw megui and handbrake mentioned but could not follow whether either one of them do everything or if they are simply for the re-encode process. Thanks, any clarity will be much appreciated.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
Trying to follow along but got confused. Are we saying that it is better to record in lossless first?
Yes. You need an extremely powerful computer to record in very good quality in real time(which is required when you capture) so encoding in lossless first(which can be done with most computer) makes it possible to take as much time as is needed for the final encode.

If that's the case, which of the mentioned software do you recommend.
Bandicam is really popular for this from what I've heard and has a very complete set of features from what I've seen of it, but it's not something I do often so there may be better alternatives I don't know about. I searched for a free alternative, but the best I found was oCam which isn't as complete as I'd like but does the job.

Are we then saying after it is recorded in lossless, we then re-encode?
Yes.

If that's the case, what software mentioned is the best for that?
Any software where you have enough control over the settings to achieve the quality you want will do. Megui and handbrake are 2 very good options.
Personally, I use avisynth and x264, but it's rather complicated for a beginner since it requires scripting to load the video and filters with avisynth and x264 is command line only. For a simple re-encode from a lossless source, megui and handbrake are just as good.

I just saw megui and handbrake mentioned but could not follow whether either one of them do everything or if they are simply for the re-encode process.
They're only for the re-encode process, they can't capture video.

The hard part is capturing the video from the R18 player without it dropping frames because it's a terrible video player and it has a tendency to drop frames from time to time for no apparent reason. You also need to manually resize the player to the right resolution before you start the capture since it doesn't automatically resize the picture to the correct size like any good video player will.

Justme4jav

May 25, 2014
Wow, one of the best, most thorough responses I have ever seen on any forum. Ty so much. I have used a couple straight screen capture programs but they cause the r18 player to drop frame rate. I will play around with your suggestions when I get a chance. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
I haven't managed to capture something from the R18 player without dropped frames yet(for more than a few minutes at a time) and it's certainly not my hardware that's the problem since it's really good and I used all of the tricks I know to speed things up. Like, for example, recording on a separate disk than your OS because sometimes they can't keep up(even recording on an ssd that's used for nothing, separate from my OS ssd and playing the video from an hdd to make extra sure everything was separate didn't change a thing) or forcing the graphic card to not go into power saving mode since it could be right at the edge where it doesn't have quite enough power to play the video properly.
The things I have left to try is a different computer entirely or using windows 8 or 10(I'm using 7) since they're supposed to be better at refreshing the screen so it may help for this.

Disabling aero may or may not also help in this case(I don't think I thought about trying that yet). It helps in some cases for video playback, but I can't remember in which situation exactly and it was about a different player so it may have zero effect on the R18 one.

Reactions: Mr.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
If you know a player that can render DRMed video with the GPU instead of desktop mode, I'd be very interested to know about it, the official R18 player certainly can't and using GPU encoding won't force it to do so.

Using a lossless temporary files is simply a means to be able to use any encoder at any settings you want without having any limitations. It does take minimum twice as long as encoding it directly, so if time is a factor it may not be the best option, but if time isn't a factor, you can't get a better result.
I do agree it may not be worth it with the low bitrate DMM videos, but I personally prefer to always do things the best way I can, even if it takes longer.

Hardware encoding can't be better than software encoding, but it is a lot faster. So the worst thing possible about my way of doing things is that it will take at least twice as long to encode, but it certainly won't look worse than your way.

You're missing at least a word in the first sentence of your last paragraph, but I'm assuming you think I laughed at you somehow because I pointed out that some of what you said to me in pm was inaccurate(you're also having a dropped frame issue with your encodes, the visual quality of them has nothing to do with it) and we have different opinion about how to encode something, but I assure you I wasn't. If you have something constructive to say that would help, I assure you it is very welcome, but you have to be able to take it properly if you're proven wrong.

easseh

May 1, 2008
Does anyone else get really horrible audio quality when using a screen capture program? I tried recording some jav in Bandicam and the video was fine but the audio was full of hissy background noise. I had Win10 sound selected as my primary sound device, but when I switched to the second option, my speakers, I had the same issue.

I'd be really thankful if someone could give me some advice - perhaps a setting tweak or an alternate program to use.

UPDATE: The terrible audio quality comes from Bandicam's Screen Recording Mode. Game Recording Mode produces good quality audio, but I have not gotten it to work on r18 videos.

Last edited: