Discussion about DMM website

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Inertia

Akiba Citizen
Apr 2, 2015
OscarLewis: I absolutely 100% agree that JAV studios are doing a piss-poor job enforcing copyright. Most are attacking the final end result (proliferation of content on file locker sites, etc.) and not attacking it at the source. Sending a billion DMCA's to these sites will just result in some content going down for a few hours before it goes right back up. I wrote a guide that I think if adopted by JAV studios would help prevent piracy to some extent while helping reclaim potential lost profits. However, this is DMM's thread so I rather not go too off-topic.

So yes, more can be done, but what R18 offers--an easy way to legally consume tens (or hundreds?) of thousands of digital JAV movies--is a step in the right direction. Not perfect, sure. ;)

Reactions: ding73ding

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
OscarLewis: I absolutely 100% agree that JAV studios are doing a piss-poor job enforcing copyright. Most are attacking the final end result (proliferation of content on file locker sites, etc.) and not attacking it at the source. Sending a billion DMCA's to these sites will just result in some content going down for a few hours before it goes right back up. I wrote a guide that I think if adopted by JAV studios would help prevent piracy to some extent while helping reclaim potential lost profits. However, this is DMM's thread so I rather not go too off-topic.

So yes, more can be done, but what R18 offers--an easy way to legally consume tens (or hundreds?) of thousands of digital JAV movies--is a step in the right direction. Not perfect, sure. ;)
...hundreds

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
We have updated RPlayer App for Android.
Now the download movies option is available for most of the movies (from RPlayer app).

Reactions: Casshern2

cavarra

Jul 7, 2011
Besides DRM, as I said in the past I would love if R18/DMM would work as Netflix, i.e. if it would be properly manageable via Smart TV - Android TV - Chromecast etc., if I could navigate among the films/select/play/stop/fast forward etc. via my remote control, if I had all the rest of Netflix functions. As of 2018, having a streaming service designed for smartphones and PCs which you can't fully use on your television is a nonsense.

Do you want to do a streaming-only DRM-protected service (as the download option is not more than a false advertising)? So be it. But at least do it properly, so that the subscribers could fully exploit your expensive service in their preferred devices (and in the more appropriate ones, given the kind of service). Netflix subscribers use it on TVs, not on phones. If Netflix would work as R18, it would had already bankrupted.

Last edited:

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
Besides DRM, as I said in the past I would love if R18/DMM would work as Netflix, i.e. if it would be properly manageable via Smart TV - Android TV - Chromecast etc., if I could navigate among the films/select/play/stop/fast forward etc. via my remote control, if I had all the rest of Netflix functions. As of 2018, having a streaming service designed for smartphones and PCs which you can't fully use on your television is a nonsense.

Do you want to do a streaming-only DRM-protected service (as the download option is not more than a false advertising)? So be it. But at least do it properly, so that the subscribers could fully exploit your expensive service in their preferred devices (and in the more appropriate ones, given the kind of service). Netflix subscribers use it on TVs, not on phones. If Netflix would work as R18, it would had already bankrupted.

We are thinking in this option. Basically to watch Netflix in your Chromecast you do this:
"Launch the Netflix app on your Android or Apple mobile device,. Once you're signed in, select the Cast icon from the upper right or lower right side of the screen. Select your Chromecast device from the list to launch the Netflix app on your TV."

So basically if we add this "CAST" option inside our app you will be able to watch R18.com in your Chromecast as you do with Netflix. Will this work for you?
If you have an iPhone and an Apple TV you can do already this using the mirror option to your TV.

cavarra

Jul 7, 2011
We are thinking in this option. Basically to watch Netflix in your Chromecast you do this:
"Launch the Netflix app on your Android or Apple mobile device,. Once you're signed in, select the Cast icon from the upper right or lower right side of the screen. Select your Chromecast device from the list to launch the Netflix app on your TV."

So basically if we add this "CAST" option inside our app you will be able to watch R18.com in your Chromecast as you do with Netflix. Will this work for you?
If you have an iPhone and an Apple TV you can do already this using the mirror option to your TV.

About mirroring, I know the Miracast option, I tested it for a while and it sucks (poor video quality, frequent dropped and blocked frames, disconnections, you should however manage it via PC etc.). At that time, I went though forums and blogs to make it work properly, but the general response was "we already know it has such problems", "it sucks", "just give it up", so I am actually very skeptic about mirroring solutions. Maybe I was wrong in mentioning Chromecast (a service I actually do not own and do not known enough), I have both an Android TV Box and a Smart TV, in those cases I just have to click the Netflix app icon (or the Amazon Prime Video app icon, which works the same) and directly enjoy the service on my TV and via my remote control without any other device, I think this is the objective you should work on.
AmazonPrime.png

netflix_cd2.jpg

Just copy their interfaces and create an app like these. It would rock.

Last edited:

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
About mirroring, I know the Miracast option, I tested it for a while and it sucks (poor video quality, frequent dropped and blocked frames, disconnections, you should however manage it via PC etc.). At that time, I went though forums and blogs to make it work properly, but the general response was "we already know it has such problems", "it sucks", "just give it up", so I am actually very skeptic about mirroring solutions. Maybe I was wrong in mentioning Chromecast (a service I actually do not own and do not known enough), I have both an Android TV Box and a Smart TV, in those cases I just have to click the Netflix app icon (or the Amazon Prime Video app icon, which works the same) and directly enjoy the service on my TV and via my remote control without any other device, I think this is the objective you should work on.

Just copy their interfaces and create an app like these. It would rock.

Noted about the quality issue. I think it has improved drastically recently as this dependents more on the hardware. Actually you can CAST to your Android TV also.

I agree that having the app installed already in your Android TV or Smart TV is more convenient. Now, you have to understand that we are an adult site and to install apps in your Android TV you need to install the app from the Google Play Store (or going to a tedious process to install unofficial apps). Now, Google does not allow adult apps in their Google Play store. Same for Amazon app store to install apps in your Fire TV.

We will take a look to this if see there is any easy solution for the user to watch the content on the TV other than the CAST option.

cavarra

Jul 7, 2011
I agree that having the app installed already in your Android TV or Smart TV is more convenient. Now, you have to understand that we are an adult site and to install apps in your Android TV you need to install the app from the Google Play Store (or going to a tedious process to install unofficial apps). Now, Google does not allow adult apps in their Google Play store. Same for Amazon app store to install apps in your Fire TV.

We will take a look to this if see there is any easy solution for the user to watch the content on the TV other than the CAST option.

I installed some unofficial apps in my Android TV, maybe it was not immediate as downloading them from Google Play but very fast and easy. With an Android TV you can navigate through Internet and downloading an app from everywhere, eg. from the R18.com website itself.

ra5whore

Mar 6, 2014
funny how searching for official RPlayer android support has directed me to this forum. If you're going to enforce DRM, do it the netflix way at least with proper design with the basics right such as having a landscape mode for browsing and not having to manually enter login details everytime you launch the app.

Reactions: cavarra

QualityTroll

May 27, 2018
So like others I was excited to see R18 finally offering a HD video distribution method outside of the dreadful VC-1 codec and WMV video format. That being said... why is the quality of R18's new 1080p streams so poor? Extensive fine detail is lost in comparison to the 1080p HD downloaded versions!

See it for yourself. I have included a picture quality frame comparison taken from one of their 6000 Kbps WMV downloads and compared it with the identical frame from the 6000 Kbps HD stream.

MDYD-971 1.png MDYD-971 2.png MDYD-971 3.png MDYD-971 4.png MDYD-971 5.png MDYD-971 6.png MDYD-971 7.png MDYD-971 8.png MDYD-971 9.png MDYD-971 10.png MDYD-971 11.png MDYD-971 12.png MDYD-971 13.png MDYD-971 14.png MDYD-971 15.png MDYD-971 16.png

There is something very wrong with this picture. H.264 is supposed to be a considerably better compression codec than VC-1, so you would think that the HD streams would destroy the WMV downloads since they are the same bitrate, but that is simply not the case. Additionally, R18 is using the x264 encoder to encode the HD streams, and that is the best H.264 encoder available.

Either something is very wrong with their x264 encoder settings, or they are using a worse master to encode from than they are using to encode the WMV versions. Could they be taking the already encoded wmv files and then encoding the HD stream versions from that wmv file instead of encoding it directly from whatever master they used to encode the wmv files?

Would you please comment on what's going on with the streaming picture quality, R18.com representative? Thank you!

crunchor

Oct 7, 2012
Anyone is member of dmm and pay to buy video online and watch through streaming? Japanese website version is better?

QualityTroll

May 27, 2018
Here is the x264 encoder settings that they are using to encode the 1080p HD video streams over at R18.

Writing library : x264 core 148 r2665 a01e339
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:1:1 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=0.50:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=34 / lookahead_threads=5 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=2 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=0 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=10 / rc=cbr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=5744 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=5 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=5744 / vbv_bufsize=12000 / nal_hrd=vbr / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

This explains the low quality. These are terrible settings.

An examination of the preset settings table reveals that they seem to be using the x264 veryfast preset to encode with. And a few of the settings are set to be even worse settings than the veryfast preset has. The --scenecut setting for example they have set to 0. The only x264 preset that has that value is the ultrafast preset.

The faster the preset, the lower the quality! So Please fix your encoding settings, DMM/R18.

Consider using CRF instead of CBR, as well as using a slower preset! The "veryslow" preset typically yields transparent picture quality to the source. It would be ideal if you encoded your videos using that because x264's "veryfast" yields absolutely garbage quality.

It's possible to cap the maximum bitrate at 6 Mbps even when using VBR, so using CBR is totally unnecessary. Here, have a look at the x264 settings that Amazon and Netflix use to encode their 1080p videos on their distribution services:

Amazon:
Writing library : x264 core 148 r2623 d5b2374
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.15 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=34 / lookahead_threads=5 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=150 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=8 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=120 / keyint_min=61 / scenecut=0 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=120 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=18.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=15000 / vbv_bufsize=31250 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=vbr / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=3:1.00

Netflix:
Writing library : x264 core 118
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=2 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=60 / keyint_min=31 / scenecut=0 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=0 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=7500 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.50 / qpmin=6 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=11250 / vbv_bufsize=15000 / nal_hrd=vbr / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Brazzers:
Writing library : x264 core 130 r2274 c832fe9
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=36 / lookahead_threads=6 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=60 / keyint_min=6 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=abr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=12000 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Amazon, Netflix, Brazzers, etc. all have 1080p HD video streams look a lot better than DMM/R18's streams, and this is why. They are using x264 with better quality settings.

When you are expecting your users to pay so much more than these other websites, surely we deserve better quality than what you are giving us.

TheOnlyPad

Feb 7, 2017
R18 was down a couple of days ago for "maintenance". Ever since then the only way I can access R18 through my Firefox browser is by disabling cookies for R18. However with cookies disable I can't login and purchase content!!! Anyone else experiencing this problem or have suggestions as to how I can fix it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

cavarra

Jul 7, 2011
R18 was down a couple of days ago for "maintenance". Ever since then the only way I can access R18 through my Firefox browser is by disabling cookies for R18. However with cookies disable I can't login and purchase content!!! Anyone else experiencing this problem or have suggestions as to how I can fix it?

Any help would be much appreciated.
I just logged, no issues. I have Firefox 54.0.1. I also tested it with Chrome, no issues as well.

Reactions: TheOnlyPad

TheOnlyPad

Feb 7, 2017
I just logged, no issues. I have Firefox 54.0.1. I also tested it with Chrome, no issues as well.

Hmmm. I'm on Firefox Quantum 60.0.2 64 bit. Maybe that has something to do with it. I can login with Internet Explorer but I'd rather not use IE if I can help it.

mod_man86

May 23, 2010
Does anybody else have trouble with streaming from R18? I can only stream at 3000, and even then I get buffering issues. Streaming at Sokmil is much better. Plus, if you pause the video, it creates a bit of a buffer. I could pause my video for five minutes at R18 and it would have no effect.