What features/services would you like to have on R18.com?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
Hi,

I've always wondered if r18 is meant for foreigners then why it doesn't sell uncensored versions/copies.
Isn't it legal to sell same content without mosaic outside japan. There are some studios selling uncensored
versions of the titles that were produced in Japan itself.

If we are able to watch r18 titles without mosaic then this will change the entire JAV watching experience.
R18 has the largest adult content in the world i guess & just imagine if even a part of it turns uncensored.
That will be a big big reason to celebrate!

Please find some way out and I'm sure that this is the future. 1 year or 20 years from now, i don't know
but this will surely come into effect. Let r18 be the first to take initiation into this direction. Thanks

Hi,
We understand your concerns but actually it is not legal for us to offer uncensored content.
According to Japanese laws:
- Japanese companies cannot sell uncensored content (We are a Japanese company).
- Japanese companies cannot be involved or help a third party company to sell uncensored company even it is a foreign company.
- Content to be distributed uncensored cannot be film in Japan even it is filmed by a foreign company.
- Uncensored movies distributors cannot be targeting the Japanese market. (if the site is in Japanese you will be considered to be targeting Japan).

So according to this rules the only 100% legal way to distribute JAV content overseas is that some overseas company take a Japanese girl overseas for filming and it is the uncensored content targeting Japan.

Then there is also the moral problem that the actresses will have with this. If you are not a very big Japanese name and you go to overseas to film uncensored content probable when you return to Japan no body will want to work with her.

andy55

Apr 6, 2008
Hi,
We understand your concerns but actually it is not legal for us to offer uncensored content.
According to Japanese laws:
- Japanese companies cannot sell uncensored content (We are a Japanese company).
- Japanese companies cannot be involved or help a third party company to sell uncensored company even it is a foreign company.
- Content to be distributed uncensored cannot be film in Japan even it is filmed by a foreign company.
- Uncensored movies distributors cannot be targeting the Japanese market. (if the site is in Japanese you will be considered to be targeting Japan).

So according to this rules the only 100% legal way to distribute JAV content overseas is that some overseas company take a Japanese girl overseas for filming and it is the uncensored content targeting Japan.

Then there is also the moral problem that the actresses will have with this. If you are not a very big Japanese name and you go to overseas to film uncensored content probable when you return to Japan no body will want to work with her.

This is indeed a great insight into JAV production laws. I've was always been searching for this info here & there.
Quite informative. Thanks for sharing with us R18.

And also a big thanks for keeping this thread alive & being so responsive. Thanks

Reactions: R18.com

Joker6969

Sep 3, 2014
Also, if Japanese audiences had a choice between pirating the uncensored version and paying money for the censored one, far fewer would pay.

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
Also, if Japanese audiences had a choice between pirating the uncensored version and paying money for the censored one, far fewer would pay.

Im not agree with this.
Very very low amount of people pirate content in Japan. (any content, Hollywood movies etc).
They are more honest and pay for other works.

Reactions: Svarttroll

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
This please. It would make me buy more movies in general. I would for sure know what the plot is about, and also instead of sometimes having to guess character relations, and just the general plot for why something is happening. If I'm decently unsure of something, I typically do not purchase it.

Is there even any data for this? How would it be collected to start with? Otherwise it just seems to be conjecture based on anecdotal evidence
Broadly, as an example of Japanese honesty, there are comparison videos on YouTube between post-hurricane mobs in the U.S. and the orderly lines in post-tsunami Japan. I'd say <1% looting in Japan vs the "west" after a disaster. Honor actually matters there. :p

But to your point, yes, probably no supporting data?

Reactions: LimeLemon

PJB

Apr 12, 2007
In my experience Japan skews toward lesser overall, but more in the extremes. So while there aren't as many 'pirates' per se, there are some seriously dedicated pirates that make up for the lack of other pirates. If that makes sense..

Also it's kinda amusing we're discussing this on a pirate site with R18, an actual reseller.

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
This please. It would make me buy more movies in general. I would for sure know what the plot is about, and also instead of sometimes having to guess character relations, and just the general plot for why something is happening. If I'm decently unsure of something, I typically do not purchase it.

Is there even any data for this? How would it be collected to start with? Otherwise it just seems to be conjecture based on anecdotal evidence

True, no much data to show.
I just found this report about software piracy (not exactly movies). Japan does not show in the top 20 countries.
https://www.revulytics.com/blog/2018-revulytics-software-piracy-statistics

My comment were based in my experience living in Japan for a very long time. Most of the Japanese people I have talked with dont even know what a torrent is or how to search to download a movie (specially in Japanese).

ra5whore

Mar 6, 2014
Whats going on with the site? Endless redirect loops when I try to visit. The downloaded content doesn't work either thanks to the overkill authentication required everytime i want to use the android app.

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
Whats going on with the site? Endless redirect loops when I try to visit. The downloaded content doesn't work either thanks to the overkill authentication required everytime i want to use the android app.

Im sorry to hear this. We are under some system error investigation.

Last edited:

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
Any plans to add an English summary/description? I would purchase more titles that way. Also $80 USD a month for the VIP package is crazy high. You have to make it $30 or at the worst $40. Why would people pay that crazy price, or even buy individually when it has DRM, and the subscription model is just too expensive. They would just pirate. If you add English subtitles to all of your titles or start with a healthy number of subtitles, then increase them over a long time, then yes, I could see myself paying $80 a month.

So far R18 doesn't offer anything that warrants purchase of titles or the subscriptions. It is too expensive and filled with DRM. People are paying for an inferior version of the product. In a roundabout way it seems like a punishment for people that want a legal alternative.

$80 is only the PRIME channel subscription price. You have other 17 different channel subscriptions to choose starting from $18 USD.
if you want quantity I will recommend PLAY GIRL CHANNEL for $24/month that has more than 57,000 movies and increasing every month.
http://www.r18.com/videos/channels/playgirl/pagesize=30/sort=ch_new/type=all/page=1/

Subtitles is something that we have been considering for a while but it is something more complicated that it seems:
- We need to get the agreement from each maker to add the subtitles to their movies. Without their aprove we cannot add subtitles to the movies.
- We release 2000 movies a month. This is a lot of work to create that many subtitles.
- From the technical site there is a lot of work to make all the players compatible with the subtitles.

javr

Dec 3, 2009
In my experience Japan skews toward lesser overall, but more in the extremes. So while there aren't as many 'pirates' per se, there are some seriously dedicated pirates that make up for the lack of other pirates. If that makes sense..

Also it's kinda amusing we're discussing this on a pirate site with R18, an actual reseller.

I think they understand that the best way to combat piracy is to provide value for money products and good services.

My feature wishlist for R18.... Idol contents and yes, subtitles.

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
I get that giving the consumers choice is good, but having 17 different subscriptions is too much imo. It is too much freedom. That aside, the PRIME Subscriptions is still too expensive regardless of how much content you are giving. The whole point of subscription models is to make the less costing tiers be less cost effective than the higher/highest tiers as to incentivize the consumer to purchase a higher tier than they really need. It is really hard to incentivize people to pay $80 a month when they can get the same thing pirating. At least that's what common sense would say. I don't have the actual numbers like you guys.

As for the subtitles thing. It is fair that it is complicated. I can only judge based off, Zenra, they managed to do it, albeit with lesser known series/studios it seems. I don't know the specifics, but again it can't be too hard, right? Forgive me for assuming. The maker wouldn't' lose anything, they'd even make money; it isn't like they are doing anything themselves. Just do at least a couple hundred substitutes, or something, then launch the program with that, so you have some ground to stand on. Then over time just sub movies. Maybe release like 30 subs a month or something? I'm just spit-balling ideas.

To make the subtitles work just force user to use your own DRM player and hardcode the subtitles.

Thanks for your feed back.
Something very important to understand here is that we do NOT own the rights of this movies. The makers own the rights and they are from many different companies. We can offer a SOD subscription and a S1 subscription but they are from 2different companies that want to setup different prices for their content.
As much as we would like to give you all content to 9.99 USD a month the makers are the ones that decide how much they want to make.
PRIME is the combination of the 17 channels all together so with the price of 3-4 channels you get all of them if you join PRIME so at the this option is jut to make it cheaper to the end user. Having it just help user that were subscribed to multiple channels and do not damage the users that are only subscribed to one channel.

For the subtitles , hardcoding the subtitles is not very efficient as that will mean duplicating TB of data to have the same version with subtittles for R18.com and without subtitles for Japan. Making it in a separate subtitles file but with the same video file is the best way of doing it but all the players needs to get updated also.
About if the makers have something to lose or not adding the subtitles it is another topic. We do not own the rights of their movies and we do have to ask for their agreement to add this subtitles to their movies.
Ofcourse, it is easy just to create the subtitles without worry if the maker is agree or not to add it to their movies or if the subtittle will work in the correct player.

We did actually add subtitles to a 100 anime movies and this did not make any effect in the sales.

Inertia

Akiba Citizen
Apr 2, 2015
LimeLemon: never had an issue with subtitles and permission with any studio we show. More of me telling them this is how we will show the movies (with subtitles) and their reply: "cool". Zero work on their end.

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
Thank you for the reply. Fair enough on most of your post, for getting rights on subtitles though, you need to start trying. You cannot say "Subtitles is something that we have been considering for a while", and not have anything to show for it. Get better people to negotiate. Heck if you even acquire a small studio then that shows the consumer your progress and your willingness to go get them. Start small then go big, that is fine.

As for the anime subtitle thing. Fansubbers have been doing hentai subs for YEARS that they release for free, and they keep up to date with them. No one is going to jump at the chance to sub to your service for a measly 100 subbed hentai. Like why would you waste resources subbing hentai when it is the weakest part of your site and you know people don't come to your site for that, then complain how it didn't effect sales? Of course it won't effect sales... Why would anyone at R18 think otherwise unless they are incompetent or just ignorant. For all we know you could have ripped the existing subs and maybe changed a few lines here and there and uploaded them. The point being it makes no logical sense and is actually a point against R18 and how they operate if they can't even figure that out.

Also if you managed to figure out how to do subs for hentai anime movies, then what is the problem in doing it for actual JAVs?

If any other user has any thoughts, or sees errors, and flaws in my thinking then feel free to chime in. I'm always happy to hear other points of views, or how I can improve myself, or if I'm wrong on a certain topic.

Thank you for your feed back.
We will keep considering the best time to start adding subtitles to the movies.
At this moment we are working in many other features that the users has been requesting (VR, Andorid App, iOS App, Samgung Gear VR, Oculus Go, etc etc).
We will try to release as many requested features as we can in the future, including subtitles.

xvii32

Aug 28, 2013
can you add subscribe button to artist directly from dvd's page? right now i have to search from artist list alphabetically to add them to my library, sometimes i cant even find them.

Reactions: Blade Runner

mod_man86

May 23, 2010
can you add subscribe button to artist directly from dvd's page? right now i have to search from artist list alphabetically to add them to my library, sometimes i cant even find them.
Yeah, that's a pain in the arse. I think you can do it on your phone, but not on the website.

mod_man86

May 23, 2010
I'd like to see a way of grouping movies in my library into folders, or have a way of searching for a title inside my own library. I have 167 files in my library and I can only locate them by searching inline. It's time consuming and tedious.
100% this. I have over 420 and when I want to re-download a specific movie it takes ages.

Reactions: Blade Runner

mod_man86

May 23, 2010
I'd like to see more individual scenes. Oftentimes I'm interested in a movie just for one specific scene, so I'd like to see that option. I've noticed Natural High is doing a bit of that now.