What Car Do You Drive?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

SexGhost

Sep 29, 2007
i guess it's because of geographical problem. the roads here in malaysia, SUCKS!

the government won't repair it, so we race at places where heavy lorries don't travel, but the road is still in poor condition, and i guess because of that it's super hard to shift gears without clutching.

FlashSwordIrene

Oct 4, 2007
well thats most likely because trucks are built differently from the US.

dothackRAVE

Sep 16, 2007
yo how does the rx8 really perform, i heard from some that its a wast of money..and others have said that i is a real easy car to drive and rev happy?

It's an easy car to drive fast. And it's definitely rev happy. I tried getting a Honda Civic to 7000rpm, and it took way longer than the RX8 takes to get to 9000rpm and red line.

It's not a waste of money. However, I'll tell you. It is a rotary car. It is not a piston car. No one on the freakin planet buys an RX series car for power. They buy it for the smooth power it delivers, the audio experience, the handling, the lightweight.

In the RX8's case, you're also buying a half way practical car. If I owned any other similarly priced car, I'd be hard pressed to cart around 3 friends. There's decent space.

Put it this way. It is a dignified car that you can break loose on certain days to have fun with. It is quiet and comfortable at low RPMs, loud and pushy at high RPMs. The engine just screams "GOGOGOGOGOGOGO" everytime you step on the accelerator.

Don't buy an RX8 because it's fast in a straight line. You're guaranteed disappointment if you do. Buy the RX8 for the overall experience. It's the kind of car that puts a smile on your face everytime you take it for a spin.

I know this first hand. Driving the RX8 is what I do when I am down in spirits.

mazda rx8 is not a waste of money, but its, in a sense, not worth its price.

its because for handling, it sacrifices power, which in overall, rx7 is better, its like rx7 has 5 points , 2handling and 3 power, while rx8 has 2.5handling, 1.5 power.

still, it depends on the driver... and rx8 can be modified heavily

Do you even own a flippin RX8?

The RX8 isn't for everyone, I'll tell ya that. If anyone bought the RX8 for torque, he's a complete moron. You're better off with a Shelby GT500. However, while lacking in torque, it more than makes up for it at the corners.

I can personally testify to this. I outgunned a BMW M Z4 around the Keyhole corner of Mid-Ohio, and kept up with a Corvette Z06 at Thunder Valley. A M Z4 costs $50,000. A Z06 costs $70,000. My car cost me $20,000 (used). Not bad for less than half the price.

The RX8 is a driver's car. It's certainly not a horsepower nut. However, it is the kind of car you can live with everyday, go to a track and pwn some M Z4s and go home in luxury. I find it to be a perfect balance between race car, and daily driver. The rotary delivers smooth power, so your passengers won't get motion sickness. Keep it at high RPMs, and it spits out 232HP. Don't keep it at the low band, because the rotary has no power there. Different engine type, different way of driving.

I do however, plan to dump a 20B engine in there. When I get the cash to do that, Z06s will be shaking at their knees.

EDIT: Might I also add that the RX8 is a great car to learn your driving skill in. It does not accelerate well, and it tops out at a mere 150mph. However, it is an awesome car to learn how to race in. If you can outgun a Ferrari in a RX8, you will completely smoke them when you get another higher horsepower car.

EDIT2: The RX8 does not sacrifice power for handling. SexGhost. You don't know shit about cars. Your little points system there is also meaningless. In the real world, cars are not rated by points. Go back to your video games.

SexGhost

Sep 29, 2007
it did sacrifice power, like you said, weak in the lower RPM. im guessing the reason i said its weak coz here in malaysia, you cant go over 110 kmph, so i cant achieve the higher revs (unless on gear 1,2)

to tell you first...i don't play any racing games, except nfs years ago.

and i do not have a rx 8, cant afford

if you wanna train urself, get a even weaker car...those will train you up. i can outrun an Altezza with my car (on the hills and mountain passes only tho, not on streets)

dothackRAVE

Sep 16, 2007
it did sacrifice power, like you said, weak in the lower RPM. im guessing the reason i said its weak coz here in malaysia, you cant go over 110 kmph, so i cant achieve the higher revs (unless on gear 1,2)

to tell you first...i don't play any racing games, except nfs years ago.

and i do not have a rx 8, cant afford

if you wanna train urself, get a even weaker car...those will train you up. i can outrun an Altezza with my car (on the hills and mountain passes only tho, not on streets)

No one sacrificed anything. It's a freaking rotary engine. Rotary engines by design don't have torque. If Mazda wanted a torque based car, they'd have stuck a piston engine in there. But if they did, the RX8 will not be known for the handling that it has. Or the sheer joy of driving one.

In a race environment (arguably the only place where you SHOULD have power), the starting point where the RX8 is in low RPM won't matter. The rotary engine starts spitting out major power at about 4000rpm, which only takes 0.5 seconds to reach if you step on the gas pedal. Once you reach 9000rpm, you shift to second, where your RPM ends up at 8000rpm (RX8's RPM ranges are split 1000 to 1000). At 8000rpm, the rotary will continue to spit out a lot of power. Get to 9000rpm again, shift, rinse and repeat.

It's a rotary engine. You use it differently from piston engine cars. In a piston based car, revving to 9000rpm would take forever, and redlining only means the engine is starting to damage itself. Rotary engines on the other hand LOVE revving, and last longer if you rev it high often. I generally rev to 6000rpm on quiet roads, and 4000rpm on city roads.

So you're still a moron who knows shit about cars.

If you don't own an RX-8, shut the fuck up. At least go test drive the flippin car first before you pull shit out of your ass.

The RX8 is NOT weak. It is a driver's car that demands technical skill to succeed around the track. You're Malaysian. I am Malaysian too (except I live in the USA), and I know no one there has access to proper racing grounds, hence you know jack shit about racing as well. It's not about driving a weak car. Otherwise, we'd all get Toyota Corollas (Toyota Vios to Malaysians) and race those.

Basically, just shut the fuck up until you know what you're talking about.

SexGhost

Sep 29, 2007
well, i live in malaysia.

how can i put it...im in lost of words...just compare rx8 and 7, and u will see the difference. thats my point

i do not own, doesn't mean i haven't drove one.

before anymore flaming or whatever comes up...i better withdraw myself..i hate conflicts with immature ppl

zheel

chandoo
Oct 9, 2007
Nissan Sentra XL 2002, for the pagoda !!!
Ford 4X4 Ranger Pickup (same as Mazda B4) 1999, week-end
Honda 500c.c. Silver Wing 1982, to job

subiedubidoo

Kenpachi
Mar 2, 2007
Nissan Sentra XL 2002, for the pagoda !!!
Ford 4X4 Ranger Pickup (same as Mazda B4) 1999, week-end
Honda 500c.c. Silver Wing 1982, to job

thank you zheel for returning to the topic at hand.
oh by the way those sentras are just like the acords right?

night rider

Sep 15, 2007
Honda City 07, practical little car that gets me from point to point :)

i am more of a "ricer" than racer, goes for cosmetics rather than performance (1500cc, gimme a break even if its a VTEC)

dream car will be a Toyota JZA8 Supra and Honda NSX-R, pity the place where i live don't have such exotic rides due to government restriction :(

dothackRAVE

Sep 16, 2007
well, i live in malaysia.

how can i put it...im in lost of words...just compare rx8 and 7, and u will see the difference. thats my point

i do not own, doesn't mean i haven't drove one.

before anymore flaming or whatever comes up...i better withdraw myself..i hate conflicts with immature ppl

I've driven both. What you're doing is thinking the RX8 is the successor to the RX7. It's not. It's like trying to compare an RX7 FC to a Hachi Roku. They're two different cars. Don't drive an FC like an AE86.

You MAY have driven one, but what you say still tells me you don't know anything about cars. You're comparing a turbocharged 1.5L rotary engine to a N/A 1.3L rotary engine. You also go on to compare a 2 door coupe to a 4 door saloon. WTF?

And then you come tell me that the 232HP that the RX8 spits out "has no power". WTF? WTF?

Either you don't know how to drive, or you have never driven a rotary engine car.

Honda City 07, practical little car that gets me from point to point :)

i am more of a "ricer" than racer, goes for cosmetics rather than performance (1500cc, gimme a break even if its a VTEC)

dream car will be a Toyota JZA8 Supra and Honda NSX-R, pity the place where i live don't have such exotic rides due to government restriction :(

I have a friend who has a bone stock Honda Fit. 1.5L with VTEC.

He lost to a Lotus Elise by 0.5 seconds around the Autobahn Country Club track.

It's all about the driver man.

night rider

Sep 15, 2007
I have a friend who has a bone stock Honda Fit. 1.5L with VTEC.

He lost to a Lotus Elise by 0.5 seconds around the Autobahn Country Club track.

It's all about the driver man.

true, end of the day it comes down to the driver. in this case, the driver of the Lotus suck or wasn't being serious :sarcastic:

the engine may be small, but taking it out over the weekend to technical circuits can be quite fun :goodboy:

MaXx_BoOsT

Oct 30, 2007
02 wrx...just sold the 04 sti and ordered a 08 forester sport xt...needed something more "family" :evillaugh:

02 wrx on different rims now but basically the same...
WRX2005.jpg

WrX014.jpg

04 sti
x058.jpg

Astb

Nov 7, 2007
I owned a silver 1985 1/2 Porsche 944, but my mom sold it from underneath me because I didn't learn how to drive fast enough for her liking. I was heartbroken too. I don't have a picture of it though. Sorry.
I want a Subaru though. I just need some money first.
That Nissan is nice, Subiedubidoo.

teaser

Mar 27, 2007
Currently drive an 04 BMW M3. Love it, although I don't why I got the SMG tranny. Would love a low mile 03-98 Supra turbo 6-spd without any Mods, but not at those ridculous prices I see on Ebay. Who would of thought back then, that the car would appreciate like it has, amazing.

Denamic

Swedish Meat
Staff member
Super Moderator
Former Staff
Dec 7, 2006
Citroën BX15.
I love it.
It's like an old friend.

subiedubidoo

Kenpachi
Mar 2, 2007
I owned a silver 1985 1/2 Porsche 944, but my mom sold it from underneath me because I didn't learn how to drive fast enough for her liking. I was heartbroken too. I don't have a picture of it though. Sorry.
I want a Subaru though. I just need some money first.
That Nissan is nice, Subiedubidoo.

thanks man, i always wanted one of those gtr's, but sad to say it wasn't what i expected. to me its the most over hyped car in japan, but still nice to have one:evillaugh:.

asianphreak

Mar 30, 2007
I own two custom lifted pickup trucks, and one stock pickup truck. The stock pickup truck is a bad-ass Ford F250 Powerstroke Diesel that can tow both of my lifted trucks if need be. :-D