what are you watching? (tv shows)

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Joe Bob says check it out! (Anyone else remember Joe Bob Briggs?)

Love Joe Bob! Of course he specialized in "B" movies. I miss Elvira too.....

So, I guess I can see why other like Gotham. I had to get over the bastardization of some of the characters from the comic series (no need to go into details, either you know what I am talking about or you don't). The writing is really quite clever, for the majority, and the acting is decent as is the directing, costumes and photography. Nothing earth-shattering but I find it entertaining.

I am actually glad it is the last season of The Good Wife, I have really hated almost every episode this season. Rarely have I seen such a nosedive in writing. If it wasn't for curiousity as to how they are going to end the series I would just ditch the show, I might still. Honestly, you are probably better off watching reality tv or the weather channel for entertainment. Well...maybe it isn't that bad (close though) but the clever writing of years ago is most certainly a thing of the past. Most of the old writers must have started their new jobs already.

Reactions: hawtdawg

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Second season of Bosch is out on Amazon (produced by Amazon Studios). I don't read Michael Connely anymore but I read most of the series, always enjoyed them too. The first season was okay so I thought I would give the second season a go. You might want to as well.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
The last season of Banshee has started....going to miss that one but it was the writers choice for a change and not the networks. I thought the skipped the Bansee Orgins which are pre-show trailers/episode shorts that they releasxe on youtube but I had just missed them (watching them know and so can you).

Even these have that note of finality to them as the Banshee staff and crew say goodbye to one of the better shows I have had the privledge to watch.

hawtdawg

Jul 19, 2010
For fans of British period dramas, Doctor Thorne (2016) is well worth checking out. It's based on the novel of the same name from Trollope's Chronicles of Barsetshire series, and so far three episodes have aired. It's not clear if there will be more. The screenplays are by Julian Fellowes, the creator of Downton Abbey.

Reactions: Ceewan

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I have been following a new sitcom called The Detour but I don't know if I will stay with it. It really isn't all that funny but I am drawn to anything that actually approaches originality in tv nowadays. Maybe I will give it a few more episodes....maybe not. I stopped watching The Good Wife, it just stopped being worth my time.

Finished watching the latest episode of The Bates Motel and the writing and acting is just so fucking good on that show......the show is totally underrated. Freddie Highmore, who plays Norman, says he rewatches the original movie Psycho all the time to get a better feel for the part and I have to tell you, Anthony Perkins would be proud. I also just learned he joined the writing staff for several weeks this year in preparing for this season and even wrote one of the upcoming episodes himself. The real star though is Vera Farmiga, who plays Normans mother and is one of the most beautiful and talented woman I have seen on tv in a long time. Sexy isn't what I would normally describe a 40+ woman but some have it and some don't and she has it to spare. It is also rare to see a series actually get better as it goes on but this one is and critics and I are on the same page with this. Also worthy of mention is Nestor Carbonell who plays the local sheriff, I have been a fan of his since he was in Lost and while he may not get the best lines (but he still gets a lot of great scenes) he just throws himself into his part and was just a great find for the show, a real asset. So if this show steals a few awards at The Golden Globes this year, don't be all that surprised.

WillEater

Mar 13, 2008
Vera Farmiga, I LOVED her in "Up In The Air". What's not to like about a woman that loves the cock?

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Vera Farmiga, I LOVED her in "Up In The Air". What's not to like about a woman that loves the cock?

Good movie. I hate Georges' politics but he gives great cinema. Vera also has a fantastic singing voice. Vera used a body double in that movie though, she had recently given birth was why, not because she is shy.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
The Ultimate Fighter Season 23 is on and unless you hate MMA it might be one of few reality shows worth watching. I don't watch every season of The Ultimate Fighter (commonly referred to as TUF) but I wouldn't miss this one. This season, except the finale which will be live, has already been filmed and the coaches, who will fight for the Womens' Strawweight Title on the Finale are Joanna Jedrzejczyk and Claudia Gadelha who actually do not like each other. It was leaked that they actually got into a brawl, off camera, during the season (and you know that is real because otherwise the UFC would have got it on film).

They are mixing Mens' LightHeavy weights with Womens' Strawweights, which I despise (I mean seriously, give more attention to Female MMA and find some more female competitors). I actually am familar with a few of the womens' contestants from INVICTA FC (which the UFC tends to treat like a farm club for talent). Very interested to see how far Jamie Moyle will go. She is being coached by Joanna and if she improves on her striking under her she could be tough to beat. Another one to watch is JJ Aldrich (who Moyle beat in INVICTA).

Reactions: WillEater

hawtdawg

Jul 19, 2010
Eva Green always makes Penny Dreadful worth watching. Pics for great justice.Eva-Green-of--Penny-Dreadful--surprises-fans-with-fun-Madame-Figaro-photos-1933783317.jpg eva-green-hairstyles2.jpg

Last edited:

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
So ABC cancelled two of the very few shows I still watched from regular tv: The Grinder and Nashville. Both were decent shows, one offering originality and laughter the other offering good music and drama respectively. I hate ABC. I don't watch one show that they are renewing either....not even one show. May thousands of sand fleas infest their network executives' armpits. I watch more on Hulu and Amazon than I watch of ABC programming now.

hawtdawg

Jul 19, 2010
Any thoughts on the current season of Game of Thrones? It's up to episode 5 now, not going to post any spoilers but there have been some good surprises, and of course, great drama.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Any thoughts on the current season of Game of Thrones? It's up to episode 5 now, not going to post any spoilers but there have been some good surprises, and of course, great drama.

Pretty much living up to its' hype, which is just almost impossible to do. I heard they were "off book" now but still doing things as per guidance by the author (which scares me, Hollywood ruins stories told in books,they don't improve on them). So I have been watching this season with a skeptics eye I fear. Nonetheless I have enjoyed each and every episode this season with much relish.

Someone has been posting old Johnny Carson episodes and I find myself watching them. He was the last great talk show host, for those not familar with him. Even in his day everyone pailed in comparison and all would be succesors haven't been good enough to even walk in his shadow. I hear they are being reaired on tv and if you get a chance to see them or download them then give it a try and you will understand why he was King of Late Night television and an interviewer with no peers. Stars fought to get on his show where they were treated with humility and respect. Johnny Carson made stars from nobodies and wannabes, launching more careers than any other person on tv before or since. He had a great connection with his guests and always laughed with them and never at them. I miss him. May he forever rest in peace.

WillEater

Mar 13, 2008
Hollywood ruins stories told in books,they don't improve on them.

All true, however in Hollywood's defense, many/most books are way too long to film anyway.

Outlander seems to be staying close to the book(s) and is a delight.

However, now that GOT has involved time travel, all bets are off.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
All true, however in Hollywood's defense, many/most books are way too long to film anyway.

Outlander seems to be staying close to the book(s) and is a delight.

However, now that GOT has involved time travel, all bets are off.

That is why mini-series are generally superior to movies. It takes an over-inflated ego or just plain nasty greediness (two things quite common in Hollwood) to ruin a story in order to make money of its' brand name and call that business as usual. Better would to have made a series of movies about one story and releasing them close together (within the same year). This has actually been done successfully but rarely. Still, there are more examples like "Wing Commander", which was a great pc game (available now from GOG) and they didn't even attempt to stick to the script laid out in in the game (which co-starred the great and talented Ginger Lynn Allen).

I haven't been interested in checking out Outlander but I am glad to hear a review on it. I will keep it in mind. I don't watch many tv shows that center themselves around female leads.....because I am not of that gender which tends to make it less interesting. Doesn't mean those shows can't be quality programming just that its' target audience is often female for a reason. Doesn't seem to bother me in anime though.

I don't think that is going to be a theme in GOT (lol, took me a minute to get the acronym) but who knows? If anything it might just be a way to fill in backstory. I have a hard time seeing where they are going with that character myself. A nice scene though. "Hodor!"

hawtdawg

Jul 19, 2010
Arthur Young's death a few weeks ago got me (and many others, no doubt) re-watching the great old Mister Ed series. Someone has posted them all on youtube. Lots of laughs. In agreement with your earlier comments about Johnny Carson, Ceewan. A legend.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Mister Ed; a man, his wife and his horse. Timeless classic. Haven't seen that in years. The Wiki says his christian first name was Angus but I suppose that wasn't a sellable so he changed it. No worries though, 96 years of age is a pretty good showing. He did alright in life.

hawtdawg

Jul 19, 2010
Apologies, I got his name wrong, it was Alan not Arthur. He was very good in
Androcles and the Lion (1952).

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Young was still working this year....doing voice over for Disney (McScrooge McDuck). A very busy man until the day he died, apparently.

There is literally nothing to watch until Sunday Night and I probably won't see any of that until Monday. So I will probably watch a movie or two and catch up on my house cleaning. 20 years ago I would have had a very different weekend planned. Oh well, bathrooms don't clean themselves. I don't think I am in the mood for any movie too old though, maybe the original Fast & Furious (the first and best) and something silly like....Hot Dog The Movie. Not in the holiday spirit I suppose but I will grill on Monday and watch a movie where people dress in unforms and kill each other then. Patton with George C Scott is a classic but Kellys Heroes is funnier. Little known fact, both Patton and Montgomery agreed on one thing after the fall of Germany. They both suggested that the Allies go to war with Russia while we had the manpower and troops there. Fact is stranger than fiction. Later peeps.

hawtdawg

Jul 19, 2010
Patton firmly believed that the Western powers were going to have to wage war with the USSR eventually, and was convinced there was no better time than that present moment when, as you said, the men and equipment were there. If that had happened it would have been a bloody battle with potentially millions more dead. Looking at Japan, there's no doubt that Truman made the right decision to bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki with nuclear weapons as by conservative estimates, at least a million people would have died in any invasion. It irks the hell out of me to hear revisionists try to question Truman's decision, let's remember that Japan was the aggressor stretching back several decades before Pearl Harbor with all their atrocious, barbaric practices across Asia and SE Asia. Obunghole's visit to Hiroshima was inappropriate given his political failings as prez, and given his weak kneed, namby- pamby foreign policy. Rant and derailment over. Back to the point of the thread, NYT has a good interview with Emilia Clarke from GOT, she'll be appearing in a play on Broadway.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Love a little derailment. Part of the fun of discussion threads. I had long been a supporter of Trumans controversial decision although I think it is important to note that it was controversial. Even Germany didn't treat their prisoners of war like the Japanese did and after Okinawa, let alone all that happened before that, I feel that there was enough justification to end the war in any way possible. However, Japan had already agreed to surrender but they balked at a complete unconditional surrender and Truman would accept nothing less. This means that he had other options than the one he chose to end the war. And no one deserves to have an Atom Bomb dropped on them, especially on civillian targets. So I can see both points of view here.

There are a few things that Obama had done this last term that I approve of in general, although perhaps not in the specifics. Starting to normalize relations with Cuba and Vietnam are way overdue but that does not mean he did so in a manner that best reflected the interests of America. I hold him personally responsible for ISIS, he opened the door for them when it would have taken so little effort to keep it closed. The way he has dealt with Iran, Saudi Arabia and the Middle East in general, borders on incompetence. His timing in visiting Hiroshima, let alone his decision to, is questionable at best. Instead of gratitude the USA just got more shit from the visit. America has always treated its' lawful occupation of Japan with an attempt to improve relations while giving full reign to Japan to once again become an autonomous, independent and responsible nation. There is very little doubt that our military presence there is to their benifit and to be honest, despite a few notable criminal acts by members of our military, I am sick of the whining from Okinawa. The current restrictions on our bases there, a direct result of Obamas' influence I am sure, are because of a crime commited by a civillian employee working at the base. It is impossible not to have a criminal element arise from over 50,000 people, it is just going to happen.

And so I too took the oppurtunity to rant. It does feel good doesn't it? from time to time anyway. Obunghole....that was a good one..... did you know he has Japanese ancestory? I am pretty certain of this. Obama City is located on the southern coast of Japan I believe (seriously).

Ya got to watch those interviews the cast from Game of Thrones give. Those sneaks intentionally mislead you. Clarke gave an interview two weeks ago saying she wasn't doing another nude scene....so what happened the very next episode.....you guessed it (she has a very respectable body too).