what are you watching? (tv shows)

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
So, I am watching the first episode of the second season of Dark Matters, (the 1st season was pretty good). This "Womens' Empowerment" thing hollywood has going on is getting a little silly. So there is a moment when this tough guy gets cornered by three guys who are shaking him down, a girl interferes and scares them off, then she shakes the guy down, beats his ass knocking him unconscious, then another tough girl gets in a fight with her over it. I mean really? Sure this is sci-fi and all but come on, give me a fucking break. Maybe in real life a highly trained martial artist could defeat a guy who was out-of-shape or more than twice her age but in reality men weigh more than women because of muscle mass, not fat. This whole fear of promoting "violence against women" has the girls beating up guys in tv and movies and it is just more than a little idiotic. Not only that it promotes unrealistic expectations. I like a female badass as much as the next guy but it is getting a bit too commonplace to be as enjoyable as it first was. At the very least, let us not overdue it so much. Vulnerable women are attractive too (and yes, this series has one of those).

Reactions: hawtdawg

hawtdawg

Jul 19, 2010
Arthur & George, a three part period dram from ITV focusing on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's attempt to find the culprit responsible for a series of animal mutilations in Staffordshire in 1906. It's an iteresting mix of period detail, red herrings, personal/family dramas, and racial prejudice, but likely to only be enjoyed by fans of English period dramas.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4439928/

Reactions: Ceewan

kharo88

Akiba Citizen
Sep 13, 2015
So, I am watching the first episode of the second season of Dark Matters, (the 1st season was pretty good). This "Womens' Empowerment" thing hollywood has going on is getting a little silly. So there is a moment when this tough guy gets cornered by three guys who are shaking him down, a girl interferes and scares them off, then she shakes the guy down, beats his ass knocking him unconscious, then another tough girl gets in a fight with her over it. I mean really? Sure this is sci-fi and all but come on, give me a fucking break. Maybe in real life a highly trained martial artist could defeat a guy who was out-of-shape or more than twice her age but in reality men weigh more than women because of muscle mass, not fat. This whole fear of promoting "violence against women" has the girls beating up guys in tv and movies and it is just more than a little idiotic. Not only that it promotes unrealistic expectations. I like a female badass as much as the next guy but it is getting a bit too commonplace to be as enjoyable as it first was. At the very least, let us not overdue it so much. Vulnerable women are attractive too (and yes, this series has one of those).

I don't mind strong female characters and badasses, but it was indeed strange that the three guys didn't even attempt to kick Nyx' ass. Even if she is so good at hand-to-hand combat, three vs one is unwinnable for anyone, especially since one of the guys had a shiv. So yeah, not realistic at all, but I like the series very much and so I don't mind stuff like this. There aren't many sci-fi shows to begin with, so at this point I'm just happy to watch what few there are... and come to think of it, Dark Matter is the only sci-fi show that I watch (tried Killjoys and The Expanse, didn't like them).

Anyway, I think that was a decent opening episode for the second season and I'm glad to be rid of you know who.

As for other current tv series that I follow:

Ash vs Evil Dead (like someone mentioned in this thread before, it is pretty good and I haven't even seen the films but still enjoyed it very much.)
DC's Legends of Tomorrow (I'm not sure if I'll watch the next season... probably a couple of episodes, but it's not very good.)
Into The Badlands (kung fu in a post-apocalyptic world starring Daniel Wu. The first season is only 6 episodes and the series suffered because of it, but it was still good. Hoping for a longer second season.)
Marvel's Agents of SHIELD (it became surprisingly good. Definitely my favourite comic book show.)
The Flash (same as Legends of Tomorrow.)
The Last Kingdom (pseudo-historical adventure series based on a series of books. Think Vikings, but beware - it does take place after the series Vikings, so there is the possibility of The Last Kingdom spoiling Vikings. They are different productions, of course, and have different takes on their characters, but still! It's a good watch, though.)
The Shannara Chronicles (this one's based on a book, too. Honestly, it's some teenage nonsense, but it's fantasy, so I watch it.)
Vikings

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
, I think that was a decent opening episode for the second season and I'm glad to be rid of you know who.

As for other current tv series that I follow:

Ash vs Evil Dead (like someone mentioned in this thread before, it is pretty good and I haven't even seen the films but still enjoyed it very much.)

It was a good opening episode but I don't think we are lucky enough to be rid of you know who. They left his storyline wide open and unresolved.

Skip the first Evil Dead movie, it was pretty low budget and kinda awful (though Stephen King liked it and his review was said to be the reason it was distributed nationally). Watch the second two (the second, "Evil Dead 2" is basically a reboot of the first), especially the last Evil Dead movie, the cult classic which launched Bruce Campbells' and Sam Raimis' long careers; "The Army of Darkness" which is what the series is mostly based on. ("Shop Smart. Shop at S-Mart." Ash Williams)

kharo88

Akiba Citizen
Sep 13, 2015
It was a good opening episode but I don't think we are lucky enough to be rid of you know who. They left his storyline wide open and unresolved.

Skip the first Evil Dead movie, it was pretty low budget and kinda awful (though Stephen King liked it and his review was said to be the reason it was distributed nationally). Watch the second two (the second, "Evil Dead 2" is basically a reboot of the first), especially the last Evil Dead movie, the cult classic which launched Bruce Campbells' and Sam Raimis' long careers; "The Army of Darkness" which is what the series is mostly based on. ("Shop Smart. Shop at S-Mart." Ash Williams)

Yeah, you're right, his story arc for second season just began, but I really hope that the writers won't pull out the resurrection card and deal with it in a different way - that other character knows that something was up, anyway, and he's got a conscience, so maybe the dead will stay dead.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the horror genre, but I think I'll watch all three - that one film doesn't really make a difference time-wise, so I might as well give it a chance, but yeah, everyone has said so far that the third one is the best.

Now that Maisie is 18, what do you think she does?
Click for naked justice
http://www.celebjihad.com/celeb-jihad/maisie-williams-posts-nude-masturbation-video

*Chanting* Shame. Shame. Shame. *Chanting*

What?! Really?! But I thought every fairly famous film/tv actress posts a video of herself masturbating when they turn 18. Isn't that what they all do? No?

Well, no.

(+1)

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
GOT Memes I liked:
Cl_PwA0XEAAsWX8.jpg Cmg99AGXYAAHiDl.jpg Cmht8eMWEAAc4iH.jpg

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
So Mr Robot and Suits are back. Reserving the right to say whether or not that is a good thing or not. After watching the beginning two parter of Mr Robot and the pc concept behind Suits new season I am just not sure.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
So I thought I would give Dead of Summer a try because like....there is nothing else fucking on and it sounded like something I might like. I couldn't bring myself to watch "Scream: TheTV Series" because it was never going to be anything but a pale imitation of the movies (which all rocked by the way). But maybe some "Friday The 13th" setting ghost story about a summer camp might be worth wasting some of my life on. They did actually add Elizabeth Mitchell (Lost, Revolution, Once Upon A Time) to the cast and add a few cameos for horror legend Tony Todd (Candyman, Final Destination and more). After the first two episodes my hopes aren't really high.....riveting it ain't. Still, hard to judge a series just based on two episodes that at least showed some promise. Give it a try if you have nothing better to do.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Just finished watching the finale of Powers from the Playstation Channel and if you get a chance to catch the second season don't give it a pass. Show some support and maybe we will get a third season. The 2nd season rocked and the 1st season was pretty good before that. Decent show, considering the competition out there. It isn't perfect but there are plenty of surprises in it, which is nice in a era of predictable programming.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Well....gave up on Dead of Summer during the 4th episode....didn't even finish watching it I thought it was so bad. Another half-decent idea ruined by piss poor writing and pc networks.

I did get curious about Killjoys after seeing it mentioned earlier so I gave that a try. I actually ended up watching season one but I can see why it doesn't hold peoples interest. Despite a very good set director, decent CGs' and some great supporting actors.....the concept....along with the writing, is both flawed and uninspired (respectively and collectively). In addition, two of the three stars of the show just aren't that good of actors (IMO anyway). I am a fan of Aaron Ashmore though and maybe one day he will get a chance to star or at least co-star in a series that has promise and can endure. I don't think this series has a long life myself, if it does then the youth of today are just desperate for something to watch. The other stars of the show, Hannah John-Kamen and Luke Macfarlane are faces....acting is not their strongpoint. I am not sure how much fault the directors play in all this but what kept me watching (besides Ashmore) were fine performances by veterans like Rob Stewart, Patrick Garrow, Frank Moore and others including some nice performances by more minor characters that are newer to their craft like Morgan Kelly. One problem could be that the show had 9 different directors in its' first ten episode season, a trend that looks to continue in the second season. That is positively idiotic and to compound this fracture the writing credits are almost as bad. This gives no continuity for the actors or any attempt at a sustained plot. You could get away with something like that in the old Star Trek because one episode wasn't really connected to another nor were they supposed to be. But to do this to newer actors....like your series stars, and to an ongoing plotline are just bad production standards. So maybe I will watch a few more episodes and maybe not but I wouldn't recommend this show. Thx for letting me share why :)

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
There aren't many sci-fi shows to begin with, so at this point I'm just happy to watch what few there are... and come to think of it, Dark Matter is the only sci-fi show that I watch (tried Killjoys and The Expanse, didn't like them).

Anyway, I think that was a decent opening episode for the second season and I'm glad to be rid of you know who.

Beginning to look like you were right and they got "rid of you know who". Especially with the addition of new cast members (not that I am that much of a fan yet of any of them). This last episode pretty much confirmed it. This series has a lot fewer writers per season than Killjoys but its' funny that you can't tell that it has almost as many different directors. Anyway, still enjoying the second season and this is still maybe the best Sci-Fi show available on tv.

I found some good reasoning why tv shows use so many different directors (including Game of Thrones):
One director typically can't produce an episode a week, especially if the show is an hour and/or uses sfx - they can possibly shoot one in a week, but there's up to a week of post-production work to do. So while one director does post on the last episode shot, the cast and crew shoot another with a different director to keep things moving.

As for consistency, that's the executive producer's job, and why show-runner is such an important gig for television; they keep the show on course, not the director, as with a feature film.

Reactions: kharo88

WillEater

Mar 13, 2008
Actually, GOT uses multiple complete crews all filming at the same time in different countries, and locations.

Duplicate directors, one for each crew, and switching between them during the film season.

The directing staff for the sixth season was Jeremy Podeswa (episodes 1 and 2), Daniel Sackheim (episodes 3 and 4), Jack Bender (episodes 5 and 6), Mark Mylod (episodes 7 and 8), and Miguel Sapochnik (episodes 9 and 10).

• Attractions which were used to film scenes in Game of Thrones' new season are bracing for a tourism boom
  • The medieval city of Girona, Spain, is expected to feature prominently when the series returns to the small screen
  • Cast and crew returned to old favorites, including Dubrovnik, Croatia, and County Antrim in Northern Ireland

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Actually, GOT uses multiple complete crews all filming at the same time in different countries, and locations.

Duplicate directors, one for each crew, and switching between them during the film season.

All true and good points as well. Yet the point that was being made, not by me but by who I was quoting, was that there is post-filming and pre-filming responsibilities that a director takes on for each episode. So that while one episode is in the process of being filmed the next episode is being planned and prepared for by another director and after all the filming has taken place there is a final editing being done by one director on that episode all while the next episode is in the process of being filmed by a different director.

I actually delved further into this phenenom and found out that it is fairly common for a director to actually switch to directing an episode for a different series after he finishes all his responsibilities on the episode for the series he is currently working on. The exception to this seems to be 30 minute situation comedies where one director can often handle the whole process himself and with perhaps only a break of one or two episodes can direct an entire 22-24 episode season himself. The shortness of the episode and the simplicity of the sets are what make this possible.

Rereading your comment it looks like GOT films two episodes at a time. Cable programming is under less time contraints than network programming, from what I have read, so I am sure that gives programs like GOT a lot more flexibility in how each episode is done.

WillEater

Mar 13, 2008
GOT created a "Behind The Scenes" special, and they indicated this year,
as many as three locations at one time.

I suspect there were fighting the weather..

WillEater

Mar 13, 2008
HBO has confirmed that Game of Thrones will be ending after eight seasons.

The news was revealed at the network’s panel held during the 2016 Television Critics Association’s Summer Press Tour on Saturday (July 30).

The first question that HBO programming president Casey Bloys was asked was about the future of the smash hit series.

“Yes, I think [the showrunners, D.B. Weiss and David Benioff] have a very specific plan about the number of seasons they want to do,” Bloys said (via THR). “If I could get them to do more, I would take 10 seasons but we want to take their lead with what they could do and what the best version of the show is.”

Season seven is set to premiere in summer 2017 and it will have seven episodes. The producers of the series have said that it will span 75 episodes in total, so that means season eight will likely have eight episodes.

“We’ve talked about it,” Bloys said about the episode count, which isn’t yet confirmed. “It’s not something I’m opposed to but it has to make sense creatively. I’m not sure the guys can wrap their heads around it when they are about to start production. We’re open to it; the guys aren’t opposed to it but there’s no concrete plans right now.”

Source: ‘Game of Thrones’ Will Officially End After Eight Seasons | Game of Thrones, Television : Just Jared | http://www.justjared.com/2016/07/30..._content=link&ICID=ref_fark&trackback=tsmclip

Visit:Just Jared | Twitter | Facebook

Reactions: hawtdawg