Translate unknown kanji/katakana/hiragana

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Wow, I can't believe we haven't posted in this thread for almost an entire year. o_o;

I can't read (for meaning) 発性 , and my dictionary doesn't explain what -発性 means as a suffix. It explains what each separate kanji means (which I already knew and which doesn't help me any) and it provides compound words ending in -発性, but I don't see any connection between the words at all. :|

The worst thing of all, though, is that I swear I read this as a stand-alone word in a hentai story, and yet my dictionary is telling me "there is no such word as '発性' all by itself."

So, I could use some help, either from a native speaker or from somebody with a superior set of dictionaries.

reingiolt

二マ...
Feb 27, 2007
yeah, i guess nobody can find it since it's already quite old.

perhaps it means "initial/original nature". somewhat similar to the "kigen" in Kara no Kyoukai. or since u saw it in a hentai story it might mean the original gender of a gender bending character.

gakido

ヒガンバナ
Apr 2, 2007
I did a quick search and it appear to be a biology word, found it on a Japanese blog.

① 生体の外部とのエネルギー循環(食物や呼吸など)がある。
② 自己保存する(自分の機能を維持し、守るシステムがある)
③ 増殖する。

At first I thought it was just some play on word that suppose to be (発生) but guess I was wrong.

I'm not familiar with biology (or better say I don't remember much of anything anymore /cry), but from that explanation I would say that #3 is the meaning if it's use in hentai. To multiply/reproduce.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I'll copy and paste that into my document file and make a note of it. As for my table, for now I'll define 発性 as "(biol.) multiplication, reproduction" and put a star beside it to indicate the footnote.

Aside:
[hide]I'm thinking that this might actually have been a case where we'd opt to go with definition #2. Literally translated as "self-preservation," the examples provided in parentheses for #2 are ones which make me think of a robot which goes into hibernation after certain critical features of its are irreparably lost; or an insect which scurries away and encases itself within a hard shell whilst it grows new wings to repair the ones it lost moments ago.

However, these same examples -- particularly that one about the 守るシステム -- also leave open the door for the preservation of the macromacroorganism, i.e. the preservation of an "organism" (singular) which is in fact composed of multiple "organisms" (plural). The best example which comes to mind would be any story with tentacle monsters, whereby the singular tentacle monster is the massive, massive, massive lifeform coating the walls of the token cave or science lab and where smaller tendrils could be the multiple lifeforms.

Alternatively, Definition #2 works if this is a story of somebody trying to survive by way of taking over somebody else's body, as you might see in a spiritual possession story.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it, and it really was #3. :) XD

I love how we've all ruled out #1 though. XD "The idea of being an organism which has, outside of itself, a so-called 'energy cycle'? No way!" lol @ what sort of crazy hentai I'd have to have been reading for the Cycle of Life/Water/Nitrogen/whatever to have come into play.[/hide]