Torrent Creation Tutorial

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
Making a Torrent file is actually very simple.

Note: this tutorial is based on the bitcomet torrent creation interface, however the principles and insructions are relevant to all other torrent creation tools.

Click on the "create" button and you'll be presented with a new form

The first thing you're going to want to do is fill in the "Tracker server" list. Most torrent trackers require you to upload the torrent file you generate to their server before they will track your torrent. The benefit of this to you is you can check with the tracker how many peers and seeds are connected without having to look at your client, the benefit to the tracker is that they can choose which torrents to allow and deny, keep track of users by registration and also save tracker load.

If you are uploading the torrent to this forum, you can make use of the local tracker http://www.akiba-online.com:2710/announce Akiba-online tracker is down.

Otherwise notable sites with good closed trackers are:
among others...

If you just wish to post the torrent and seed the file with minimal bother, you can make use of open trackers and DHT.

DHT
"Distributed Hash Table" technology has been built into all major clents for a while now. What it means essentially is that a torrent should work without any trackers at all. There are a few issues with DHT such as a lack of a total bittorrent protocol standard between clients, but overall DHT is incredibly useful. Despite its usefulness it's still wise to use trackers aswell, as not all clients support DHT, and trackers update much more frequently.

Open Trackers
As stated earlier, the easiest and fastest way to go about making torrents is to use open trackers. Because they are open, they are highly trafficked and sometimes they are down. You can, however, use as many trackers as you like. You can also use open trackers as backup trackers while at the same time using a closed tracker.
(Note: Individual tracker policy on this may vary)

The following trackers are open and responsive:

Code:
[URL]http://tracker.prq.to/announce[/URL]
[URL]http://tracker.bitebbs.com:6969/announce[/URL]
[URL]http://www.torrent-downloads.to:2710/announce[/URL]
[URL]http://www.wetspunk.net/announce.php[/URL]
[URL]http://denis.stalker.h3q.com:6969/announce[/URL]
Step-by-step
  1. Paste in your tracker/trackers. If you are using a closed tracker, it is best to place it at the top of the list. You can use as many trackers as you like, but as a rule of thumb, 5 is overkill.
  2. Use browse to select the file you wish to torrent. You can also select a folder to torrent. Please note that the torrent file will be download with the name of the folder you select, so make it representative.
  3. Make sure to have enabled DHT network
  4. (optional) You can fill in the torrent information tab with data, a link to information and loosely "secure" the torrent from editing.
  5. (optinal) The Comment tab allows you to comment the torrent, perhaps with an info link or a message "created by..." or "posted on..." etc.
  6. Click "OK". After a short period (depending on size and number of files ;you can see a blue progress bar at the bottom of the client) your torrent file will be generated in the directory indicated and also queued in your bitcomet client for you to start seeding immediately.
  7. If you used a closed tracker, proceed to register the torrent at whichever site's tracker you used.
  8. Upload the torrent as an attachment to a new thread in the Torrent Station and don't forget to seed.
2.png

Reactions: 1 person

flame_zero

Eat this !!!
Dec 13, 2006
man you made that simple..o_O

thx for the step-by-step i'll have to try that here soon :bow-pray:

Sosi

Crazy Seeder
Jan 18, 2007
Azureus steps to create a torrent...

Ok so far i have been getting told different ways to do this but someone summed it up for me and i added the pictures... This guide is using Azureus 2.5.0.2 the latest version out...

1.jpg

1. Go to the "File" tab at the top of the window, and cilck on "New Torrent"

2.jpg

2. Type in the box next to Announce URL the URL of the tracker you are going to use.

Note most (not all) tracker URLs end in announce.php

3. Uncheck both the Add Multi-Tracker information to the torrent and Add hashes for other networks

4. Select one of the two options, either Single File or Directory accordingly to what you are going to upload. The steps are going to be the same for either option with just a change to Single File or Directory.

5. The comment box is ultimately up to you, the best thing to put maybe is a date and a little information about the torrent but again its a personal choice After you are done click next..

3.jpg

6. Now you choose your file or directory you want to share. Click the Browse button and browse to the file/directory you want to share. Click on it, then click OK/Open. Then Click Next.

7. After that is done now you choose where you are going to save the torrent file you are creating (the one you need to upload). Creating a folder dedicated to your torrent folders is the best way to keep things organized that way you know where your torrent files are

8. Now save the torrent there (in the folder that you created or where you decided to put all your torrents). Don't mess with the Piece Size. Azureus will select the most appropriate size for you. (Unless you know exactly what you're doing). It can make things really difficult for peers if you make the pieces too big or too small.

9. Azureus will now hash the files. When it's done you will get a message that says Saving File... File saved. Click on the Close button. And your ready to share your torrent!!!

stixitin

Apr 8, 2008
thank you for info to upload,i have a movie i would like to upload however i do not have any details of the girl in the move except that her name is [IV] Kanzaki Miyuu. its 899.297kb and 70:30mins long .....stixitin

Fantalo

The Mercy Seat is Waiting
Mar 7, 2008
Now all I have to do is work out whether anything I have is worth uploading

RMAGNUS

May 8, 2008
Never up a torrent in my life as i never knew how, going to try to up one this weekend but how do i check if its already exsiting?

ASSASSIN27

ASSASSIN27
Sep 29, 2007
I'll be using Transmission shortly (as soon as dvd to avi converter is finished) and will attempting to upload my first torrent here on akiba. Hopefully all goes well and this tutorial really helped out a lot. Why can't all tutuorials look like this? Thanks.

kbryc08

Master Cheef
Super Moderator
Nov 17, 2006
The announce url is the tracker address. An open tracker is a tracker that anyone can use without registering. The complement to that would be a closed/private tracker that requires registration.

The akiba tracker is down for now so don't use that. There's no problem with using more than one tracker so feel free to add all of the open trackers listed in the first post to your torrent if you want.

Mihotaku

Oct 30, 2008
could anyone explain this to me?:

in my client (azureus/vuze) there is shown the number ob seeds (complete sources) and peers (not completed sources). but there is allways a second number included into two ()'s. so for example if i am seeding (UL/DL) a file it says 7(10) seeds / 35(48) peers. does it mean that 3 of the seeders aren't online right now because there should at least be 10 but only 7 are online? the same for the peers.

but sometimes when i am the only seeder (i.e. my Cat Model Projects), it shows 0(2) seeds as if there would be another seed. but that cant be because all the peers just have loaded i.e. 30%.

so what does the number in the ()s mean? and whats the english word for the ()s actually?!

kbryc08

Master Cheef
Super Moderator
Nov 17, 2006
() = parenthesis

Taken from the Azureus Wiki:
Swarm: the group of people, seeds and peers, who are active on a single torrent. It's perfectly normal NOT to connect to ALL seeds and peers in a swarm! A good Average Swarm Speed and Availability are more important. If you see something like 5 (14) in the seeds column it means that you are connected to 5 out of 14 seeds that are in the swarm - meaning that the tracker knows about 9 more seeds. If you see something like 12 (4) it could mean the tracker knows about 4 seeds in the swarm, but thanks to DHT you did connect to even more!

Mihotaku

Oct 30, 2008
thanks but why are there sometimes 2 or more seeds shwon when i should indeed be the only one like with my actual Ryouna Kasai torrent? it has to be 0(1) but sometimes is 0(2) or even 0(3).

wearthefoxhat

I ♡ さくらゆま
Dec 28, 2008
thanks but why are there sometimes 2 or more seeds shwon when i should indeed be the only one like with my actual Ryouna Kasai torrent? it has to be 0(1) but sometimes is 0(2) or even 0(3).

I think it has to do with the data the clients send over the network. Sometimes a peer will be registered as a seed due to a glitch. They’re basically phantom seeders. It should correct itself the next time the clients talk to each other. At least, I think that’s what’s happening. Maybe someone else can give a more definitive answer.

rubiks6

No more JI - Retired from AO
Apr 2, 2008
Torrent creation in μTorrent.

Look at the pictures. Read the word balloons. Happy sharing.

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
Steps 1)-6) can be skipped if you select directly the file (or directory) in step 8), with "add file" or "add directory", respectively. Unless you have a really complicated directory structure.
At least that's how I'm doing.

rubiks6

No more JI - Retired from AO
Apr 2, 2008
Yeah, you right. Just click the "Add file" button.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
If the Akiba-Online tracker isn't coming back any time soon, could you please remove it from the list? I wanted to use that tracker (and only that tracker), and it wasn't until later that I discovered that it's still down. Then when I tried to go back and add other trackers to the list, I encountered some problems.

I would prefer to use it, of course. So if you think it might come back in the next month or so, then disregard. Otherwise, if you don't know when it's gonna come back, or if you think it'll be quite a long time before it does return, then maybe take it out of the first post. :\

Otherwise? Thanks very much! :)