"Thievery" of uploads.

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

illuminatus3

Akiba Citizen
Oct 9, 2007
This is getting a bit off track now. Yeah, yeah, we all know what we are and what we do. We don't really need anyone to explain what it means. But, we can still ask for a system that makes a board we frequent often more user friendly. There are tons of boards out there with more stringent rules than we have here, and boards with less.

The simple fact is, it's up to the board owner and mods if they want to institute a system of restrictive rules or not. The question should be, should they do it, and can they afford the loss of members.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
"Posters" are why people come to this board. They earn and deserve a certain amount of respect here I would think. It is one thing to repost someones "work" on another board but quite another to repost it on the same board and claim credit for it. That is just plain wrong. A poster should be able to request that such posts be removed and a rule should be in place so that other members are aware of this.

These whole "piracy" comments are not very complimentary to the posters who make this board popular and attract members and visitors to Akiba Online in the first place. This thread concerns a legitimate complaint expressed from some posters and I don't feel they need to be ridiculed for it. It is disrespectful to all posters here in general. I have a lot of respect for those that make the effort and take the time out of their day to share freely with others while getting little or nothing in return except perhaps a "thanks". These are unselfish people and they are not out robbing banks and living "high on the hog" with their "ill gotten gains". If anyone finds the file sharing here to be that objectionable I can't understand while they are even here at all because that is what 90% of this board is all about.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
The point isn't "piracy is bad." The point is "trying to create rules whereby you may pirate another's work but not have your own be pirated in kind is both hypocritical and base." The discussion goes well beyond Akiba-Online and is applicable to file piracy in general.

And let us please call a spade a spade! Piracy is piracy. There is virtually nothing on this site which is the original creation of its members. (Few and notable exceptions exist.) The bulk of data people seek out via A-O is data which was created by somebody else far, far away and was later replicated -- very probably without their permission -- and subsequently re-replicated almost certainly without their permission the moment the file is cloned to any one A-O member's computer.

Regarding respectful behavior towards our beneficiaries (i.e. "don't bite the hands that feed us"), sure, you're absolutely right that it's not practical to piss off providers. But do we pay lip service or don't we? Do we opt to be part of a community of charitable file-sharers or do we opt to become one of respect-requiring file-lords? Do we want our bellies to be full and our tongues dusty from licking shoes? or do we want our bellies to be empty but our tongues to be clean?

Do I really think the community would be hurt all that much if we were to ban intra-forum mirroring of files? No. Would it probably be more beneficial than harmful in the end to help protect the so-called "rights" of the file providers? Probably. The problem isn't one of practicality but of philosophy: it is the idea that I am criticizing, the idea that someone who is distributing content they are not authorized to distribute by the content's creator is in some sense entitled to his own "rights" against being robbed in return. To me, the idea itself is mildly offensive and supremely ludicrous.

Finally,
it's up to the board owner and mods if they want to institute a system of restrictive rules or not
Very true, illuminatus3. But this is after all a forum. Discussion is our bread and butter. If the mods didn't want members to discuss general forum policy, they would easily lock us out of replying to threads. That we can reply to these threads is proof enough that such replies are welcomed and should not be dismissed as mini-modding.

Thanks to both of you for your thoughtful and courteous dissenting replies. I appreciate it, and it's one reason I am happy we have Akiba-Online.

wheeljack

Apr 27, 2009
No one has to ask your permission to mirror something you flat-out stole. If you're not going to ask the author's permission to mirror his work, why should they ask your permission to mirror your mirror? If you think you're upset, imagine how upset he must feel!

As for the mafia comparison, I understand your point but I believe it's a romantic one at best. In other words, the mafia of your imagination and the real-live mafia are two very different things, the one largely informed by Hollywood films and American television programs, the other a crime syndicate that incidentally happens to consist of members who are commonly related to one another.

Just remember the old saying: "there's no honor amongst thieves."

And if that doesn't do it for you, remember the story of Treasure Island and its iconic character, Long John Silver: the pirate who stole from other pirates.

I am actually talking about the owner that is AO to enforce whatever rules, not the posters for their integrity.

here's an example.
the owner of a illegal gambling house ( AO )
the gamblers ( piracy posters )

Can the gamblers cheat inside a illegal gambling house? Based on your logic - thieves shouldn't complain about anything - they can do so but nobody is allowed to cheat in a illegal gambling house. Try telling those illegal operators when you are caught - these place is illegal in the first place, we are all thieves, no honor among thieves that is your logic. You just get beaten up if lucky.

The illegal gambling house ( AO ) have to enforce the rules for the illegal gamblers ( piracy posters ) and no cheating is allowed which in AO would be duplicate mirroring?

Your "thieves shouldn't complain about thieves" logic would apply to some forums that don't allow copyrighted stuffs but not here.
every places have their rules.
AO have accepted the piracy posters so they should have rules for them like the operators of illegal gambling houses have for their gamblers.

But "there's no honor amongst thieves." is true otherwise we would not be talking about this.

techie

SuupaOtaku
Jul 24, 2008
I can't see any solution that doesn't require a lot of work on the mods part.

I agree here with Ceewan that it would be a massive workload however you turn it around until there is such a thing as for example, for the JAV section where you have a JAV title ID tag on the cover to go by and everyone is forced o enter it as is on the cover.

Then you have a unique id for the thread to go by, and it simplifies searching.'
First to load that title in a given format gets credit as originator ul.
Any one following is a rip off unless as a collection pack or combined dl / torrent section perhaps.

But it would demand a unique identifier to be used which is set by the original materials conditions, and this could potentially open up a whole other can of worms for the p2p community as a whole.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I agree here with Ceewan that it would be a massive workload however you turn it around until there is such a thing as for example, for the JAV section where you have a JAV title ID tag on the cover to go by and everyone is forced o enter it as is on the cover.

Then you have a unique id for the thread to go by, and it simplifies searching.'
First to load that title in a given format gets credit as originator ul.
Any one following is a rip off unless as a collection pack or combined dl / torrent section perhaps.

But it would demand a unique identifier to be used which is set by the original materials conditions, and this could potentially open up a whole other can of worms for the p2p community as a whole.

Well chompy was talking about a type of template, the board already makes use of a tag system and has search capabilities.....
It sounds as if something combining those three functions,(perhaps using other board capabilities not already mentioned), may give you the tools to accomplish your aims "in house". As you said a unique identifier would be better but probably unrealistic. Information in a template can be falsified on purpose or accidently entered incorrectly. Sort programs are old, reliable and efficient. Surely one could be used to compare links(direct download links such a rapidshare), titles, and original post date of threads? Not a 100% reliable because of earlier mentioned concerns but it sounds like a good place to start. It makes more sense if it is a board automated function.

For older threads maybe the first post in each thread could be searched and compared for similarities with the first post of each thread in the same section,(subforum). This subroutine could be refined until you are satisifed with the consistency of the results. This way you could identify duplicate posts and institute a "clean-up" of the board using the list your subroutine provided you. It still sounds like a lot of work but chompy was asking for feedback and your comment got me thinking.

If it all sounds like a bunch of nonsense please forgive me. I meant well.

techie

SuupaOtaku
Jul 24, 2008
It already exists on the board as is.
It's just a question of enabling the pagination to come up the same way for all forum sections as it does for example on the following link...

http://www.akiba-online.com/forum/main.php?page=jav

hence nothing needs rebuilding, just implementation.

The search and sorting is already a part of standard SQL and need not be confused with "searching using a form".

The problem with searching is that it allows generic input, massive content scanning and does not lend itself well to implementation by use of Views or Query stored procedures.
This is a bit technical perhaps to those not versed in MySQL but a page view like the one shown above is fully compatible with using stored procedures, thus giving overview, speed, simplicity and reduction of load on the database.

The latter being my main concern as we have seen before when AO gets overrun with N thousands of users from time to time.

Imagine what would happen if you expand on use of generic searching and say, 10% of all users start using it frequently. Talk about "temporarily out of server" or even worse "500 Error" showing up repeatedly.