RS & MU vs. torrents

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

montiman

Enjoyer of Asian Ladies
Jun 12, 2008
I never could understand why some guys like RapidShare and MegaUpload.

For me it's a pain in the butt to have to go back and upload each piece of the file one by one and have to wait to upload if you have reached the limit, plus then you have to join or extract the files.

Maybe it's o.k. for the peeps who actually pay for the upgraded service, but for me I like FREE stuff!!!

I much prefer torrents, you just start the upload and let your computer do all the work for you.:happy:

Gaiarth

Jan 9, 2007
I prefer Torrents myself, I can just start it before I go out to work in the morning and forget about it.

However, I can understand the appeal to those who post their stuff on RS and such. They only have to upload it once, not need to be constantly seeding, which means they can do other stuff with their time.

I'm just grateful that people take their time to share, however they do it.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
It's a question of convenience (BT) vs. what's best for your computer's hard drive (DDL). As you mentioned RS and MU have a lot of cons that BitTorrent does not such as issues of cost (for premium memberships), waiting periods, limited maximum up and down speeds, etc. These plus having to click on buttons or type in captchas in order to activate the download put RS and MU at the bottom of my list, personally. But if I had the option to choose a DDL service that was fast (as fast as or faster than speeds I typically achieve on BitTorrent), that was free, and that didn't give me any hassle, and the only catch was that I had to click on each link (and even then I could always write a script to do it for me, let's pretend), then I'd choose DDLs any day over BT. Unless something's changed since I last read up on this a few years ago, BitTorrent is a hell of a lot unhealthier for your hard drive than a direct download is due to the manner in which the two different protocols write files to the disk and the fact that BitTorrent is also constantly spinning your disk to seek already-downloaded data for (re-)upload.

Long story short, in the real world, BitTorrent is better for me but in a more ideal world I would prefer direct downloads. I guess in the most ideal world the two protocols would be equally good -- and I wouldn't even need them because ideally I'd have everything before I even knew it existed. ;)

montiman

Enjoyer of Asian Ladies
Jun 12, 2008
I can understand the appeal to those who post their stuff on RS and such. They only have to upload it once, not need to be constantly seeding, which means they can do other stuff with their time.
Well, yes, I can see that as far as some uploaders are concerned. But I have many times seen downloaders request a RS/ML file posting on a torrent post.:puzzled:

Gir633

Señor Member
Oct 28, 2008
I don't mind torrents, but I've moved more towards DDLs lately.
Being on Comcast I have very good download speeds, low upload speed and now a bandwidth usage cap. So with Usenet or a Rapidshare account I can download files at over 1mbs, (I have seen torrents move at that speed, but the 200 kbs to 500 kbs as a normal speed is more the usual unless it's a small peer group with only 1 or 2 seeders then it's going to be slower). and with NZB files in Usenet or DownThemAll! for Rapidshare it's only a couple of clicks and the down loaders take over. So I can direct down load alot faster than torrent in most cases. I just downloaded two drama series, both about 4 gigs in size, the one off of Usenet took 2 hours, the torrent took a week because there was only one seeder and he kept coming and going. Then with the cap, if you direct download a 1 gig file it uses up one gig of bandwidth, if you download with torrent, with seeding you'll end up using at least 2 to 3 gigs of bandwidth depending on how much you seed.

jupiter999

loves Tada Mizuho only...
Apr 2, 2008
I never could understand why some guys like RapidShare and MegaUpload.

For me it's a pain in the butt to have to go back and upload each piece of the file one by one and have to wait to upload if you have reached the limit, plus then you have to join or extract the files.

Maybe it's o.k. for the peeps who actually pay for the upgraded service, but for me I like FREE stuff!!!

I much prefer torrents, you just start the upload and let your computer do all the work for you.:happy:

No, you cannot say that...
For me RS & ML is better than torrent. I used to use them, am I a peep?
It depends greatly on each region's network, or ISP I would rather say, as long as a service is working, then use it nicely and wisely, be it a RS, ML, Torrent...

montiman

Enjoyer of Asian Ladies
Jun 12, 2008
No, you cannot say that...
For me RS & ML is better than torrent...

O.k. but what about what I said:
"For me it's a pain in the butt to have to go back and upload each piece of the file one by one and have to wait to upload if you have reached the limit, plus then you have to join or extract the files"

Don't you think it's a pain to have to deal with that??

Gemeines

Oct 18, 2007
I love and use all methods.

I pay for a RS and MU account which are both fantastic services when paid for.

I agree that downloading massive files via RS or MU can be a pain, but only when you have to merge larger files back together with winrar or hjsplit...just being a tiny setback but I still dont mind. it is close to instant gratification when you want the files as fast as possible.. plus peace of mind knowing that a lone and noble seeder will not suddenly disappear for whatever reason. I use internet download manager to obtain files that are spread across 10+ RS links so I no longer worry about Rar number 6 being corrupt and ending up with a partial download.

Its also a pain when files are removed from RS and MU.

Torrenting is probably the best way to go.. as mentioned before its free and simple. The only downfalls for me is the chance for sudden lack of seeds.(which rarely occurs) or tracker errors (which is usually on my end)

I even prefer Torrent over newsgroups... or any of the old style P2P systems I have used in the past.

. if given the choice between a link to a torrent or direct download I go direct download simply because I already paid.

Oddly, I still agree that torrent is superior. I think just because its free.

ryuuga

みうみうの恋人
Super Moderator
Apr 2, 2007
Hey montiman. The reason why some users requesting for DDL is becoz they can't use torrent in their place. When some of you guys are using the torrent service easily without any restriction, you shouldn't forget that there's a group of people in this wolrd who can't use the torrent service due to various reasons. In that case, RS/MU is the best choice for them.

Try to imagine. When you live in a country where its ISP service banned/restrict the P2P, you can't run the torrent whenever you want. So do you still think RS/MU is pain in the butt fo you? Of course the answer is NO. RS/MU will be the only heaven for you.

In short, try to be appreciate when you downloading the stuff. Of course it's always good and convenience if you can use torrent to grab stuff, we are happy for you. But at the same time, please also respect the contributors and downloaders who are using RS/MU. It's not easy for the non-p2p users to grab the stuff from the internet. Their effort in trying to share them in HTTP form is much harder coz it involves money and time. No matter what, we should care for each other when it comes to sharing stuff on internet. When you download from torrent, the others download from DDL. You happy, they happy, we happy. It's a win-win situation. That's the spirit of sharing.:happy:

jupiter999

loves Tada Mizuho only...
Apr 2, 2008
O.k. but what about what I said:
"For me it's a pain in the butt to have to go back and upload each piece of the file one by one and have to wait to upload if you have reached the limit, plus then you have to join or extract the files"

Don't you think it's a pain to have to deal with that??

ryuuga has the point. You seems not understand my situation. You are lucky because Torrent works tremendously good for you. That's fine. But for me, I'll try all method. They are the efforts of uploaders that we should appreciate of. Please don't say "a pain in the butt...". That hurts uploaders' heart...:...:

TAT_SHINTA

Nov 22, 2008
I prefer the RS and MU. In my country, especially my network I use, I only can download torrent for max speed 20-30kB/s , usually 10kB/s. When I use http download , it can be 120kB/s. Of course, the total files of Bittorent are enormous, but I see the speed that people use RS and Mu to upload and download increase so fast, even sometimes they use different method like megarotic, ifile, etc.
The only thing I hate is the limite 2.66gb/day of RS.

montiman

Enjoyer of Asian Ladies
Jun 12, 2008
Hey montiman. The reason why some users requesting for DDL is becoz they can't use torrent in their place....... you shouldn't forget that there's a group of people in this wolrd who can't use the torrent service due to various reasons. In that case, RS/MU is the best choice for them.
Thank you, now I do understand. I never did think about the fact that torrents could not be used by everyone, but now that you explained it, it makes sense.:bow-pray:

In short, try to be appreciate when you downloading the stuff......... But at the same time, please also respect the contributors and downloaders who are using RS/MU.
I never was saying that I diden't respect the people that took the time to put files on DDL, I just diddent know why they liked it untill you explained it.:innocence:

Thank you!

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
I have mixed feelings about RS,MU,and torrents. If I am downloading a whole anime series or an extremely large file I will go with a torrent. If I am going with a individual anime episode or small video files or photo files then I do not mind RS or MU,although I like MU the best.

ryuuga

みうみうの恋人
Super Moderator
Apr 2, 2007
I never was saying that I diden't respect the people that took the time to put files on DDL, I just diddent know why they liked it untill you explained it.:innocence:

Thank you!

No worry. I wasn't speaking to you only. I was speaking to the general public who are wondering for the same question. Glad to know that now you understood the difficuties of the non-p2p users.

Cheers!~:goodboy:

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
I find sharebee.com to be extremely useful when downloading multiple parts of a extremely large file or when uploading a file because they upload to multiple sites like RS, MU, Badango and Zshare.

illuminatus3

Akiba Citizen
Oct 9, 2007
As an uploader, I offer all options:goodboy: With the TB of material that come through here and other sites/forums, I use RS and MU as storage also. It's hard deciding what to keep and what to delete:stress:

montiman

Enjoyer of Asian Ladies
Jun 12, 2008
It's hard deciding what to keep and what to delete:stress:
True that. I burn all of the videos I like onto DVD (I don't trust a hard drive) I have almost 1K titles now.
I also keep an Excel database and list the videos by type and the date I burned the DVD. I used to acctually write the titles on the DVD, but now I just write the date I burned it, and find them that way on the data base by date.