Rants go here, yes? Your Stupid Thanks Post

RickyDicky

Dec 27, 2007
My peeve has become the Ftards who post "Thanks" in a one, two, or three word post, knowingly or unknowingly ignoring the "thanks button." You know who they are. They have hundreds or thousands of posts and every one of them is "thanks."

Maybe even more retarded is the fruit who uses the "thanks button" to thank the person who posted "Thanks," even though they didn't start the thread. I understand if you start the thread and someone thanks you, you might want to reciprocate, but to thank someone for thanking someone else...will this faggotry ever end?

To you, you gay poster of thanks, you post-count grubbing adder of nothing of relevance, I throw my shoes at you!!

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
I noticed that too, I am with you all the way

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
I agree with you also.

But there is no rule against it. Yet...

For now, ventilation posts such as this will have to suffice

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I hate it when people tell me, "Fix it by sorting threads by creation date." I don't want to do that, because then I'll miss out when people bump a thread with a good reply! -_-; But so long as I sort threads by latest reply date, then I am cursed by the same fate as you, RickyDicky: to be endlessly annoyed by the people who reply to a 6-month old thread just to say something that amounts to "thanks! this is awesome!".

I understand that uploaders have egos just like the rest of us do and that they are entitled to receive ego-strokings from their grateful peers, but I thought that's what we decided the Thanks button was for! And if someone wants to really express his gratitude with a lengthy explanation ( *cough* *cough* ^^; ), then he is still encouraged to do so. Because he is at least still saying more than "thanks". He's saying "This is the best manga I have ever read in my entire life, thank you so much." And that's admittedly more than you can convey with the Thanks button system.

Ricky, if it helps you cope any better, I realized a long time ago that most of the people who do this are people who do not speak English very well. They probably would write more substantial replies if they weren't either:
a) incapable of doing so, or else
b) afraid of what could happen if it were found out that they were from a certain country.

Chompy has made it clear that we welcome everybody, but that probably doesn't assuage the fears of many of the Japanese leechers. Because they know that their own (Japanese) communities ban foreigners, and they probably wonder at the back of their minds, "Should I reveal that I'm a foreigner?" But if that's the case, it's retarded: because we see your IP, anyway, and besides, we don't rule out the possibility of you using a proxy, so ...

I just wish people would quit it with the 10-words-or-less thank you bumps. -_-;

PROPOSED FIX:
Can you engineer the boards to not allow threads in the Torrent and Download sections of the board to be bumped after the first 30 days -unless- the person's reply contains the words "seed," "reseed," "upload," or "reupload"? and/or unless the person's reply contains 30 or more words? That way, the people who need to bump the thread -- even the ones whose English is very poor -- will still be able to, and the only people who will be unable to bump the thread will be the one-word thankers. Also, if you have the word cap in place, then people who write lengthy replies (which are probably beneficial to somebody unless they're botspam) will also be able to bump the thread for everyone to read.

illuminatus3

Akiba Citizen
Oct 9, 2007
The 'Thanks Button' is sufficient for my ego, thank you:virtuous::virtuous: I also think it's maddening to see a thread bumped up repeatedly with 'thanks' post. I feel compeled to check the thread for issues (missing links, poor quality, repost etc) if it's one of mine.

I highly support Sakunyuusha's 'proposed fix'.

Cheers.

fr0stbyte

Former Staff
Apr 8, 2008
"Good Gril Thx"

LOL

How 'bout making the torrents and JAV downloads area accessible to a certain group, like say the "contributors" (in which members have to apply for). And maybe we could add a sub-forum for all seed, re-seed and cheers posts with each thread from the JAV downloads and torrents area having there own thread there. They should be linked obviously.

The downside for this is that there is less interaction between the torrent/DDL posters and the members who view them. The contributors would have to view two threads instead of one.

These are just ideas of mine.

RickyDicky

Dec 27, 2007
"Good Gril Thx"

LOL

How 'bout making the torrents and JAV downloads area accessible to a certain group, like say the "contributors" (in which members have to apply for). And maybe we could add a sub-forum for all seed, re-seed and cheers posts with each thread from the JAV downloads and torrents area having there own thread there. They should be linked obviously.

The downside for this is that there is less interaction between the torrent/DDL posters and the members who view them. The contributors would have to view two threads instead of one.

These are just ideas of mine.

Well, that would lock me out. I don't have a source from which to post stuff, unless grabbing stuff from other boards is considered a source. Most of that stuff ends up here quickly enough, many are members at both boards, and I was always under the impression that it was in poor taste to post some else's stuff and call it your own. I tried the torrent thing but it was way too frustrating. I like the instant gratification of the DDL.

I was just expressing my frustration with those "thanks" (and "Good Gril Thx") that were appearing with every post, far more than they could even possibly download. It was especially frustrating that it was the same 5 to 10 people. I have since learned that these people post nothing of interest, and know not to look to see if they had something valid to add to a thread. I do like to find what other people say about a DL (to see if it will match my tastes or not) but unfortunately, that rarely happens. One of the things I like the most about AO is that it is so open, without post count restrictions - like another board that requires 300 posts before you can get to the goods or another board where for every thread there are 30 "thanks" posts that follow from people trying to make 10 posts. I wouldn't change anything about the board, except maybe that everyone who signs up gets an email that explains the importance of the "Thanks" button. Um, Thanks.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Edit: I don't have any major complaints with barring new members from the ability to post in the Torrent and DDL forums, but I do have a major complaint with barring new members from the ability to read threads and download attachments posted in those forums. I'll withhold the complaint for now.

fr0stbyte

Former Staff
Apr 8, 2008
Well, that would lock me out. I don't have a source from which to post stuff, unless grabbing stuff from other boards is considered a source. Most of that stuff ends up here quickly enough, many are members at both boards, and I was always under the impression that it was in poor taste to post some else's stuff and call it your own. I tried the torrent thing but it was way too frustrating. I like the instant gratification of the DDL.

I was just expressing my frustration with those "thanks" (and "Good Gril Thx") that were appearing with every post, far more than they could even possibly download. It was especially frustrating that it was the same 5 to 10 people. I have since learned that these people post nothing of interest, and know not to look to see if they had something valid to add to a thread. I do like to find what other people say about a DL (to see if it will match my tastes or not) but unfortunately, that rarely happens. One of the things I like the most about AO is that it is so open, without post count restrictions - like another board that requires 300 posts before you can get to the goods or another board where for every thread there are 30 "thanks" posts that follow from people trying to make 10 posts. I wouldn't change anything about the board, except maybe that everyone who signs up gets an email that explains the importance of the "Thanks" button. Um, Thanks.

I post torrents from Chinese forums and BBS but I do get translations from other English forums because I can't translate titles. Regarding those sites you mentioned, I haven't encountered such.

EDIT: My idea was that members would have to apply for a "contributor" status to be able to post torrents. Ordinary members can still view the threads so there won't be any "locked out" members. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Again, these are just ideas of mine.

NoriHiiro

Jun 27, 2008
My rant would be... WHEN SOMEONE STARTS A THREAD YOU LIKE, POST SOMETHING!! ARGH! And not "thanks". An actual reply with pretty little pictures attached. This is the best message board on teh internets, post something. Make it even better. Make this your one stop shop. You're like people who don't bring their own beer to a party. "Hey man, thanks for the beer. I'll bring some next time." But you never do. You never bring your own beer.
Damn lurkers. I can see you now. Sitting in your underwear, unshaven, unkempt. A cat eating rotting food under your desk. A glazed over look in your eyes. Have you no shame?! Brush your damn hair, shave, and post something!!

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I'm assuming you're referring to your image dump threads? The reasons I don't contribute to those are:
  1. I do not have a webhost which will allow me to upload Adult Only material.
  2. I have limited space for hosting images on Akiba-Online. (As do you! One day you're going to run out of space for attachments!)
  3. I already need to preserve my attachment space for other threads.
  4. Akiba-Online is a webforum, not an imageboard.
  5. Imageboards are better for image dumps than webforums.
  6. I do not have (access to) a program which could check hashsums or other metadata in your attachments and auto-delete them from the batch of images I'm about to upload.
  7. I do not have time to sift through all 100+ of your images to make sure I'm not uploading something you already did.
  8. Most of the pictures you post are either:
    • classic reposts,
    • pictures from doujinshi or eroge, or
    • pictures that have been posted on 4chan or other English imageboards in the last 12 months
  9. I already have (a) and much of (b) and (c). Most people here already have all of (a) and all of (c). And many people here have all of all three.
My apologies if this is not what you were talking about when you mentioned:
WHEN SOMEONE STARTS A THREAD YOU LIKE, POST SOMETHING!! ARGH! And not "thanks". An actual reply with pretty little pictures attached.
To me, this translates to "please post attachments to the image dump threads I start! I'm the only one uploading images! Grr! >( "

Btw, while I'm on the topic ... a suggestion, if I may? Perhaps you should create a .rar of all the images for a particular theme (e.g. paizuri) and upload that .rar as an attachment in the first post? And maybe you could then upload "patches" in subsequent threads? And after the number of patches reaches a certain point, perhaps then you would delete the old attachment in the first post and create a new attachment in its place, one that has all of the images up to date. The bad news is, viewers won't be able to see what images are in the .rar until they download it. The good news is, it makes it a HELL of a lot easier for people to do two things:
(1) download your pictures, run a program to delete the ones they already have somewhere else on their hard drive, and keep the remaining ones
(2) download your pictures, run a program to compare your folder with their own folder for the same fetish (e.g. comparing your paizuri image dump with my paizuri image dump), create a clone of their directory, and delete from that clone any and all pictures which you already have uploaded.

1 + 2 = people will like your efforts more and be more likely to contribute. Just a thought.

IdolFun

★ ☆ I Am God ☆★
Super Moderator
Oct 16, 2007
1.I have limited space for hosting images on Akiba-Online. (As do you! One day you're going to run out of space for attachments!)
2.I already need to preserve my attachment space for other threads.

There is no limit to the space for attachments you have.

NoriHiiro

Jun 27, 2008
I'm assuming you're referring to your image dump threads? The reasons I don't contribute to those are:
  1. I do not have a webhost which will allow me to upload Adult Only material.
  2. I have limited space for hosting images on Akiba-Online. (As do you! One day you're going to run out of space for attachments!)
  3. I already need to preserve my attachment space for other threads.
  4. Akiba-Online is a webforum, not an imageboard.
  5. Imageboards are better for image dumps than webforums.
  6. I do not have (access to) a program which could check hashsums or other metadata in your attachments and auto-delete them from the batch of images I'm about to upload.
  7. I do not have time to sift through all 100+ of your images to make sure I'm not uploading something you already did.
  8. Most of the pictures you post are either:
    • classic reposts,
    • pictures from doujinshi or eroge, or
    • pictures that have been posted on 4chan or other English imageboards in the last 12 months
  9. I already have (a) and much of (b) and (c). Most people here already have all of (a) and all of (c). And many people here have all of all three.
My apologies if this is not what you were talking about when you mentioned:

To me, this translates to "please post attachments to the image dump threads I start! I'm the only one uploading images! Grr! >( "

Btw, while I'm on the topic ... a suggestion, if I may? Perhaps you should create a .rar of all the images for a particular theme (e.g. paizuri) and upload that .rar as an attachment in the first post? And maybe you could then upload "patches" in subsequent threads? And after the number of patches reaches a certain point, perhaps then you would delete the old attachment in the first post and create a new attachment in its place, one that has all of the images up to date. The bad news is, viewers won't be able to see what images are in the .rar until they download it. The good news is, it makes it a HELL of a lot easier for people to do two things:
(1) download your pictures, run a program to delete the ones they already have somewhere else on their hard drive, and keep the remaining ones
(2) download your pictures, run a program to compare your folder with their own folder for the same fetish (e.g. comparing your paizuri image dump with my paizuri image dump), create a clone of their directory, and delete from that clone any and all pictures which you already have uploaded.

1 + 2 = people will like your efforts more and be more likely to contribute. Just a thought.

I could start a rant about your outrageous sense of self importance...
As Idolfun just pointed out, there is no limit. If you have something that is not posted here, why not post it? Seriously? And please spare the lectures, I don't read them. I know you're just one of those people who disagrees for the satisfaction of typing. Anyways... If we can the definitive threads HERE, at akiba, why not? I don't care if they go into a thread I started or not. Most other hentai boards are garbage or disappear unexpectedly. Akiba seems here to stay, so why not put them here. And not all of us hoard hentai, what I post is new to me, which means they might be new to someone else.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I could start a rant about your outrageous sense of self importance...
No, seriously, I was just trying to help. I'm not saying your threads are unpopular to be mean to you: you said it yourself! Nobody else posts. I was giving you some advice on how to encourage people to share.

Here's another piece of advice: the quoted sentence above undermines your agenda. If you dislike me, I can't help that, but if you want help getting your threads off the ground, then you're going to have to admit that they require help in the first place. And this means saying, "Yeah, Sakun, you were right. I was talking about my threads :(," which is 180° opposite to saying "Jeez Louise, your ego is bigger than the moon!" If this is how you're going to respond to me, then other members are going to see this and think, "Wow, NoriHiiro is an immature and ungrateful little git! That guy Sakunyuusha tried to offer advice and NoriHiiro spat in his face!" That's when they'll realize that it's not worth their time to try to offer help: and your threads will continue to go belly-up because you won't have figured out the problem for yourself and no one else'll have helped you, either.

Would an asshole say this? Perhaps: a caring asshole certainly would. I'd agree that I might be considered a caring asshole by some. I still care. I still want your threads to succeed. What do I have to gain from this if this is all just one big troll post? o_O I've spent 10, maybe 15 minutes of my Sunday that I'll never get back. I considered you worth the investment. If that sounds egotistical to you, fine.

There is no limit to the space for attachments you have.
Say what? How long could chompy keep that up? o_O Seeing as you can post 25 attachments per post and JPEGs can be in excess of a megabyte, you could run into the problem of people trying to post magazines or other documents one page at a time. I'd think at some point he'd need to enforce a limit, even if it was a generous one (like 1 GB). I guess chompy could always see who is uploading what and how frequently and he could always put a cap on abusers of the upload system, but still ... I'm impressed. Quite impressed, actually. This is probably the first board I've ever seen that has no file attachments limit.

porkar

Apr 2, 2007
.. I can see you now. Sitting in your underwear, unshaven, unkempt. A cat eating rotting food under your desk. A glazed over look in your eyes. Have you no shame?! Brush your damn hair, shave, and post something!!

Damn, I thought I had turned the fucking cam off!

I'll need to be more careful in future.