Acceptable behavior for mods?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.

indreamsiwalk

with you...
Apr 8, 2007
Before I get unilaterally banned by Leechasd, I would like some clarification about what constitutes acceptable behavior for forum moderators.

It might help if interested parties (and other mods in particular) read this thread started by Leechasd.

In this thread, Leechasd asked for feedback on some images. lucanaoe gave him feedback that went well beyond a simple "I think A looks better than B." Obviously, lucanaoe gave his responses some time and thought. Leechasd thanked lucanaoe in the text of his response, but did not click the "Thanks" button. In fact, as lucanaoe noted, Leechasd has never once clicked the "Thanks" button. Not realizing that Leechasd was a moderator, I also spoke up, saying Leechasd should click the "Thanks" button. These requests were ignored, so we were left to speculate why Leechasd has never clicked the "Thanks" button. I half-jokingly suggested that people use the scales icon to give Leechasd negative feedback until he starts using the "Thanks" button. Here is the response I finally got from Leechasd:

I don't beg nor ask for thanks. I'm given by them from those who've appreciate what I release to them. Even thinking of neg repping someone because they didn't give you a thanks/rep is childish imo and only makes you a receptible rep whore. If you didn't want to comment or help then don't respond. I'm only asking for those free of their opinion to give an opinion not ask for something in return from one.

I've never used it and I never will. Forum gimmicks don't apply to much less rep. If I started giving thanks, I'd have a field day giving it to the rest of those who've helped me and I frankly just don't have the time to do so when it's already hard enough trying to surf/post a topic on AO :\ Not like I don't want to thank you, just if I started by doing one, I'd have to do it for the rest. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here.

Also I should warn you indreamsiwalk your form of childish acts will not be tolerated on AO and if you make this forum into a place of 'oh I'm better than you' then consider yourself removed from the forums for good.

End of response. So, a moderator on this forum says, "I've never used it and I never will. Forum gimmicks don't apply to much less rep." I'm not entirely sure what that last sentence means, but I think he is saying he thinks a fundamental AO function--the "Thanks" button--is bullshit. Setting aside his reasoning (which I find unconvincing and more than a little confusing), how does one get to be moderator of a forum without respecting all the fundamental assumptions on which that forum is based?

Of more urgent concern to me personally is the very direct threat against me at the end of Leechasd's response. I've seen people say some pretty outrageous things to others on AO that have not resulted in banning or even deletion. And yet here I am being unambiguously threatened with banning not because I said or did something outrageous, but because I had the audacity to speak critically about a moderator. People who are familiar with my posts know that I always strive to be polite and to avoid hostility, except in rare cases in which someone has said something I find deeply offensive. But even my angriest posts are mild in comparison to a lot of posts I've seen on AO. My impression is that Chompy tends to err on the side of free speech (after all, Leechasd, a moderator, is allowed to use an avatar that suggests that slaughtering dozens of Japanese girls is somehow amusing), so I find it hard to believe that he would consider anything I have ever posted to this forum to merit banning.

So I would be grateful if other moderators--and Chompy, if possible--could clarify. Is Leechasd's response to what I wrote reasonable? Because it sure looks to me like an abuse of power. Or is it the case that on AO, moderators are, as it were, "above the law," and unconditionally allowed to ignore forum protocol (i.e., refusing to use the "Thanks" button) and threaten with banning any member they please, for whatever reason they please?

Thank you.

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
To be honest, Leech isn't a mod for any reason other than I know the guy. He doesn't actually do any moderating, nor has he ever. He doesn't even browse the forums, and is constantly occasionally asking questions (on IRC) that would be answered if he just read IRC logs or forum posts.

And no, if Leech (or any mod) ever banned anyone over such nonsense, they'd be (as soon as any other mod, or myself, noticed) immediately unbanned.

The whole 'rep whore' dig would literally only make sense if you were a regular member of HongFire forums between 2004 and 2005.

indreamsiwalk

with you...
Apr 8, 2007
Thanks for the prompt response, Chompy! :bow-pray: I thought that post by Leechasd soundly decidedly un-AO. You've reaffirmed my faith in this community.

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
Well I hope nobody takes any personal comments by anyone, myself included, as representative of the whole.

There is no rigid official nature to anything here. Not as far as I can tell anyway. Pretty casual.

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
Yea chompy, I like your casual stance and willingness to allow freedom of speech. It makes for a very nice feel @ akiba-online!!

I'm probably the most unconvincing mod here, but I do my best to help things.

I actually feel privileged to have a this virtual world as a safe house in this cold world... :runintears:

Leechasd

Eye of The Beholder
Nov 16, 2006
I don't mind it either. But if someone takes this abound and demands thanks for such a simple request, they don't deserve to be given any. It's earned not expected. As for banning, I wouldn't even bother with such things. Disabling the whole rep/thank would be a more appropriate approach to solving such an overused issue at hand. If you like pressing the thank button alot, by all means anyone is free to do so but don't expect it everytime you help someone. As chompy stated, this is a place of casual so don't be making trouble from an insignificant issue. I don't threaten, I warn before I take action.

indreamsiwalk

with you...
Apr 8, 2007
I don't mind it either. But if someone takes this abound and demands thanks for such a simple request, they don't deserve to be given any. It's earned not expected. As for banning, I wouldn't even bother with such things. Disabling the whole rep/thank would be a more appropriate approach to solving such an overused issue at hand. If you like pressing the thank button alot, by all means anyone is free to do so but don't expect it everytime you help someone. As chompy stated, this is a place of casual so don't be making trouble from an insignificant issue. I don't threaten, I warn before I take action.

Huh? Did you even read Chompy's response above? What you say doesn't make anymore sense now than it did before. You have confirmed my first impression of you.

Oh, and did I mention that your avatar makes me sick?

Leechasd

Eye of The Beholder
Nov 16, 2006
I read it perfectly and have made my statement.
If you got problems with someone's avatar, deal with it or just don't be here.

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
I think that avatar is brilliant!

It's like the most raw manga possible.

Someone should make a feature length one!

Ether

flaming hobo
Dec 7, 2006
i love leech's avatar fyi :D just because it doesn't have a cute picture of a younger girl we'd all like to hug at night doesnt make it any less awesome :D but yeah. a lot of forums i see now have the thanks button, but iono, i usually just stick with reps.

AO dorama \o/

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
indreamsiwalk: I can see where your concern stems from. I however think that in any community one cannot and one doesn't speak or act for the whole. Leechasd actions are his own as chompys and mine our ours.
I do agree with Leechasd though on the neg rep for not thanking. Seems a little silly to me. But your right these things are here for a reason and that reason is to be used. I could do a little more thanking myself but I'm quite picky about it.
As for the avatar… those that like it might also be interested in Makoto Aida (会田誠).
11_10.jpg

11_20.jpg

Perhaps I'll up the rest of the book someday…
At any rate rest assured that your not going to get banned for disagreeing with or even arguing with a moderator. I've been insulted a few times myself and all that happened was a penalty was incurred. I and other members of akiba are glad to have you here.
desioner

Status
Not open for further replies.