Require membership to download torrent files

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
But as I said before, I really think you're barking up the wrong tree with this color business. You could make it any color you want and it's still not going to have any effect.

The problem isn't that they can't read the word "thanks", either, because their replies say things like "thanks!" or "thank you". They have a better chance of recognizing the Thanks button than they do the Quote or the Quick Reply buttons.

montiman

Enjoyer of Asian Ladies
Jun 12, 2008
But as I said before, I really think you're barking up the wrong tree with this color business. You could make it any color you want and it's still not going to have any effect.

The problem isn't that they can't read the word "thanks", either, because their replies say things like "thanks!" or "thank you".

O.k. then instead of just pointing out the flaws in MY suggestions, Lets hear your suggestions on how to improve (not necessarily solve) the "thanks" problem.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
But is it really a problem? What exactly do you lose if someone doesn't click Thanks?

montiman

Enjoyer of Asian Ladies
Jun 12, 2008
But is it really a problem? What exactly do you lose if someone doesn't click Thanks?

I lose the sence that at least SOME of the members of this wonderfull board appreciate the effort that I make for the FREE enjoyment of others.

Speaking for myself anyway, I do NOT use redirects, I do NOT use any sort of click and pay, and I do NOT use torrent files from other sites (I make my own).

What I do, do is try to present a GOOD post with GOOD discriptions, and GOOD pictures. And for this I only want to know that SOME members enjoyed what I did.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
The people who enjoy the torrents are the people who download them in the first place. And believe me, they do appreciate it, even if it goes unspoken.

To put it in other terms: if 50 members and 50 non-members download your torrent and only 5 members click Thanks, you get your figure of 5% feedback. If you block the 50 non-members from downloading, that number rises to 10%. But your overall swarm has dropped by half.

As for getting direct feedback, it will always be disproportionate simply because that's how all torrents are. "Thanks" is not built into bittorrent, so it's strictly optional. If you don't like that, you'll just have to pick a different P2P protocol, or find some other way to encourage/force people to give you thanks before they get access to your .torrent files.

Frankly, the number of peers in the swarm is the best indication of how much your efforts are appreciated. If you have thousands of peers, you know that a lot of people both on the forum and off the forum are thankful for your efforts. If you only get a handful of peers, the files themselves simply aren't popular and no amount of Thanks will change that.

If you want to put it into perspective, you can simply stop uploading anything and see if members begin to ask what happened and ask for you to come back. If you've been contributing a lot, people will undoubtedly notice the change; but they will learn to move on, with or without you.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
^ So, so true. And it should also be said that if a torrent is still seeded by people months, even years after you created it, and that seed is not you, then not only did somebody out there appreciate it: he appreciated it more than even you did. Because he decided to stick around and keep seeding something that wasn't even his to begin with. He loves it that much and wants others to enjoy it that badly.