Encouraging users to use the THANKS button

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

notstimpy

Turbo-slut
Apr 7, 2007
Maybe it's must me, but I get annoyed when I see someone post a torrent or direct download link, and then there's 83 posts from people saying "Thanks!" or similar.

I've tried a couple of times to post gentle reminders about the button, but I'm pretty sure I'm not having any effect.

Does anyone have ideas on how to improve this situation? The only thing I could come up with was some kind of merit system for using the THANKS button, but I'm not sure the board software would even support such a thing, nor what the potential reward might be.

Just looking for ways to reduce clutter and server load...

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
I have no ideas other than your current 'gentle reminders'. But I agree with you, so I'll give you a thanks for this post... :goodboy:

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
Yea, I agree.

What I've done is I've enabled the vBulletin "reputation" system feature.

High reputations will lead to "status" increases (VIP usergroups, different coloured names...maybe some other stuff I haven't thought of yet..)

Thanks add to reputation, as does the reputation "scales" at the top of a post.

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
Nice to see more additions to the forum. Hopefully well see the feature used.
desioner

wolf75

Apr 5, 2007
My apologies for dredging up an old thread, but this problem has gotten a lot worse in the past couple of months with the influx of newbs (which, in itself, is a good thing).

It's annoying to see a "new" thread in one of the torrent forums, for example, that turns out to be a newb's "thanks" reply to an old post.

Is there a way to set up vBulletin so it sends an automatic PM when it detects messages that contain the strings "thanks" and "thank you", reminding people to use the Thanks button?

Failing that, can a column be added that shows the date & time stamp of the topic creation, so we could sort by that instead of date/time of the latest post? That would at least help us to find the real new posts amongst all the thank-you bumps.

Leechasd

Eye of The Beholder
Nov 16, 2006
Broken in a sense. I haven't noticed much of an improvement since the new move to the new servers in terms of browsing speed considering the fact this server is hosted in Germany. The attachments which we've discussed also...