Suggestion:Close torrent topics after 7 days

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

astrayred

Mar 19, 2008
Recently I have seen alot of old torrent topics on the Idol Forums and U-15 Forums where people either say Thank You, or request for direct downloads or DVD ISOs, thus bumping these old threads to the top. I would suggest that 7 days after the initial post, the topic be closed because:

1. For rapidshare and DVDISO/avi rips requests, there's already a request forum for that.
2. For thanks, there's already a Thank you button.
3. Bumping these threads create confusion for newer members as usually the older torrents would be dead, having 0 seeds. This causes inconvenience.

Closing topics 7 days after the initial post would keep these torrent releases in chronological order, and make the torrent forums neater.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
In the Hentai torrent forums, most people request a reseed in these very threads rather than generating a brand-new request thread elsewhere which a) may go unread for a long time and b) creates thread clutter. But I do see what you mean and sympathize, because your concern is also my own #1 pet peeve in the Hentai Magazines and Hentai Anime forums. I hate it when old threads are necro'd just for a stupid "THANKS!!!!!!!!!11111111111111" post.

I also hate it when one guy comes and replies to 30+ threads asking for a reseed when it would have been so much cleaner and politer for him to have made ONE request and posted links to all of the things he wanted reseeded, but that's a different story ...

astrayred

Mar 19, 2008
I do think that for one thing reseed requests usually go unanswered, so if you are stuck with a dead torrent good luck, although some times if I'm lucky after 3 or 4 months some kind soul will come back to complete the torrent. :)

Hope to see what others think of my suggestion. Also just to clarify:

I actually meant to lock the topic so no one else except the topic starter may post, to post a new torrent for example. Not actually closing and deleting the topic. Hope this clears things up.

I hope people see what I'm getting at as in the past few days I have seen topics where the last post was back in 2007 then someone comes along posting "Thanks" (although most likely the torrent is dead, so good luck getting the file), and thus bumping the topic all the way to the top!

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I know what you meant. "Lock" means "lock," "lock" means "no new replies can be made to the thread but it still exists." This is not news to me, I've been using webforums since 1999. :) Same as "close."

If you had meant "delete," then you would have said "delete." Locking a thread never means deleting it, and there's really no point in locking a thread if you're going to delete it soon (unless you're a moderator and you're only SOFT-deleting it to remove it from public view ...).

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Keeping threads open is helpful especially if other users are having trouble with the torrent or any of the files (eg: codecs, etc). It makes it easier for OP or other members to troubleshoot without having to create new threads elsewhere and continually link threads back and forth.

Also I don't think it's too confusing for newcomers. If you have basic knowledge of how a torrent works (and how it eventually dies out), you can easily look at the date of the OP. Plus if OP is long gone, keeping a thread open helps other members point newbs in the right direction, either pointing to a DDL, new torrent, or some other alternate download option without creating a new thread.

Stormchild

JAV Ninja
May 26, 2008
Agreed. I don't think it's a good idea to lock the threads. I've come across several threads containing broken links or torrents for video files that won't play properly; in some cases I've been able to find an alternate link or torrent and post it to the thread so other people can avoid running into the same problem, or know how to fix it if there is some way of doing so.

I do wish, however, that people would click the big THANKS! button instead of replying to the thread to say the same thing, especially when it bumps an old thread for no reason.

A better solution, all around, would be to set up a proper tracker listing for torrents instead of using a forum. There are plenty of tracker plugins that integrate with various forum software so that a single account works for both the tracker and the forum. Users can post comments on the items without bumping them, so everything remains listed in the order it was originally posted.

Another *huge* benefit of using a tracker is that you can track ratios and start booting freeloaders who don't seed when they're finished downloading. This also avoids having torrents poached and posted on other sites. When people are held accountable for their upload ratio, they will actually bother to seed, and downloads are faster for everyone. Plus you don't end up with torrents that go dead with lots of people still downloading them.

Anyway, just a suggestion that would solve multiple problems very effectively.

morbius

Jan 13, 2007
Why not simply sort your threads by "Thread Start Time" rather than "Last Post time", that's what I do.