PlayStation 3 Thread

The Playstation 3?

• I got a PS3. I'm happy with it.

Votes: 193 47.3%
  • I got a PS3. It's alright.

Votes: 29 7.1%
  • I got a PS3. I'm disappointed with it.

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • I never actually had a PS3. Knew people who have.

Votes: 63 15.4%
  • Never had it,or played it.

Votes: 83 20.3%
  • I've given up hope on the PS3. I'll wait for the next console..

Votes: 27 6.6%

• Total voters

Matsu'o Tsurayaba

May 22, 2007
Well,it looks like Sony brought down the price of the PS3 here in America. It's 299..and we all know what that means. It means that the console will die in a few years,the same thing happened to the PS2. But that brings us to a bigger question..

Was the PS3 a success...or a failure? From the bumpy launch,to how it is now..what do people think? Let all kinds of discussion about the PS3 be held here.

:cool:

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Originally I wanted a PS3 and a Wii. I ended up getting the Wii but honestly I'm not happy with any of the consoles this generation. I love my library of games for my Nintendo DS -- it's probably my single-richest library ever, even richer than my NES, SNES, or original GameBoy game libraries! -- but the NDS isn't the Wii, PS3, or XBox 360, now is it? ^^;

Opinions with NO CHARTS OR TABLES to back them up. I don't care. I'm speaking anecdotally here and am not trying to convince anybody to agree with me. I'm just expressing my views.
[hide]I think the PS3 was a commercial failure, a company failure, and a consumerbase failure.
* commercial failure: the machine isn't profitable. Then again, neither was the XBox. The last 8 to 9 years have been defined by the new-age idea of "sell the console at a loss, make your money back with the expensive games." And it's worked, for the most part. Still doesn't change the fact that, as a machine, the PS3 is a nightmare for entrepreneurs.

* company failure: Sony really dropped the ball in lots of ways.
  • They lied when they claimed to not care what Microsoft or Nintendo did. Sony very quickly adopted Nintendo's motion-sensing controller idea after E3 2006 (or was it E3 2007? I forget already), and even from the very beginning they were already engaged in the then-fledgling war with Microsoft over high-definition optical disc formats -- HD-DVD versus Blu-Ray. So no, Sony very much did care. But they said over and over that they didn't, and then proved to us that they did. And that hurt their corporate image. :\
  • In little under two years (2007 thru 2008/9), Sony demolished the lead they had spent 8 years building with PS2 sales. They lost major investor confidence with this one.
  • Sony made Nintendo's GameCube mistake of having only two types of games: Sony franchises for the die-hard fans and then lame attempts at new IPs. All the fuss Sony made over Little Big Planet reminds me in a lot of ways of the fuss made over Spore (PC) and Pikmin (Nintendo GameCube). "It's gonna be awesome! It's gonna change the way you look at gaming! It's gonna--!" Go on sale this weekend at Best Buy for $30. So much for that. :\
  • CREEPY COMMERCIALS AT LAUNCH!!!! @_@ Remember the one with the baby doll that cries blood or paint or something? Fucked up, man. Just plain fuckin' weird.

* consumerbase failure because so many people now doubt Sony's position in the console wars. Where before it was a known fact that PS2 was king, XBox was an envious Queen, and GameCube was the court jester, now we're in a Bizarro World where half the people say 360's on top, half the people say Wii's on top, and tons of people say the PS3 has got 2nd place but NO ONE says it's in 1st except for the occasional fanboy in denial. What the hell happened? You used to be laughed out of a forum if you said XBox had more sales than PS2, and now it's the opposite for 360 and PS3? Kudos to Microsoft, but the 360 really isn't a great console. (As a consumer product, I think it's worse than the XBox. Less reliable, less glamorous, less "holy shit this is fucking awesome I love what Microsoft is bringing to the table yeah yeah yeah!!!".) The only reason the Wii and the 360 are beating the PS3's ass is because this console generation was a loser's festival and the PS3 just so happens to be the biggest loser of them all. It doesn't mean the other consoles are actually good. :\[/hide]
So having said all that ...

I would like to see what they come up with next gen. I bought a Wii but it gathers dust more often than not. I didn't buy a 360. I didn't buy a PS3. Why? Because I have a DS which is better than all of them, a PS2 (which I came to own very late -- 2008! -- and so I have lots of cool games to catch up on!), and there aren't really any killer apps for me on any of the main consoles. (DS has Pokemon, Phoenix Wright, Layton, I'm so fucking sold!! But Wii doesn't have a good 3D Pokemon game still. XBox doesn't have Shenmue III and neither does PS3. None of them has Fatal Frame IV [in America]. None of them has any must-have game of mine. :\)

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
Originally I wanted a PS3 and a Wii. I ended up getting the Wii but honestly I'm not happy with any of the consoles this generation. I love my library of games for my Nintendo DS -- it's probably my single-richest library ever, even richer than my NES, SNES, or original GameBoy game libraries! -- but the NDS isn't the Wii, PS3, or XBox 360, now is it? ^^;

agreed, the main consoles of this generation have been a fairly huge disappointment! :distressed:

The ps3 is still too expensive IMHO and frankly, I just don't care about it anymore.

The Wii games I've played have all be pretty fun, but I still cant see getting my moneys worth out of it

I've also had good experiences with 360 games, but I also dont know anyone who hasn't had to send back their console for repair (one friend has sent his back 5 TIMES!), :eek:mg: I'll wait for something that works, thank you!

The DS on the other hand, continues to provide amusement. I bought an original *ugly* DS and a DS lite and have yet to feel cheated about either purchase.

I'm slightly biased since I love grid based strategy games and they really seem to crank those out for the DS

:exhausted: WHEW! Sorry about the rant, guys. But coming from the NES/SNES/Genesis era, when gaming was niche and really cool (Toejam & Earl, anyone?), its sad to see it turn into a brand exercise where quality is less important than beating everyone to the punch and cornering the "fratboy/snotty kid with headset" market. :destroy:

thanks for reading, GOODNIGHT EVERYBODY!

:byebye:

Desu

アッチョンブリケ
Jun 25, 2009
a big failure.
i swore that i'll never buy a PS3, because i'm only interested in 3 games, and they're not worth the price i'd have to pay.

the PSP on the other side is shining brighter than ever!
so, SONY, WTF have you done????

Kraken73

Aug 16, 2008
My opinion is....PS3 is the best console out there....i got both PS3 and XBOX elite and i think PS3 is better...a little expensive,yea!,but what da' hell,is whort what your paying.

stellerex

Apr 21, 2009
If uncharted one and two were the only games for the ps3 it would still be worth it. kick ass system. media sharing with pcs + bluray makes it that much better.

HentaiNeko22

Pervert Middle Age Men
Oct 1, 2007
I own both Xbox 360, Wii, Nds, PSP Phat and 40gb Ps3. I prefers Ps3 games titles than Xbox 360. For Xbox 360 users need to pay monthly subscritions for multiplayer online gamplay. Ps3 multiplayer is free but costly games and always have overheat issues.

Fyi, my xbox360 is dead now because got red ring of death and also out of warranty. I bought since the launch in asia. I got to get another one but not now because GTA IV got more expansion in Xbox360. Hell...man... I love that game. I also love Shenmue!! I wonder What happen to the sequel.

Wii is fun but some games for family but not in long run. Don't expect the game will last long for play. It could be too easy for you. it more captures the youngster. A good workout titles for your daily exercise workout.

NDS is just a portable console that using stylus, fun games just like Wii. Cmon... everyone loves Mario games. Lots of titles to choose from... But don't expect good graphic like PSP.

PSP is more to hardcore gamers because most of the games out there might to hard for kiddies to play or not suitable at their age. I got inform by my customer before that, it's too hard for his kid to play. I just say Huh? really.. He prefers NDS games than Psp. Whatever titles that released at PS3, will also release PSP if the graphics supported. I'm sure more games will be released e.g like Assasin Creed etc.....

That's all i have to say. It's just from my point of view.
See ya..

crow23

Jun 5, 2008
ps3 is still too damn expensive im malaysia!!Sony PlayStation 3 80GB = RM1550 convert it tu US currency wiil be like $460..damn cant afford it..

Astb

Nov 7, 2007
I own both Xbox 360, Wii, Nds, PSP Phat and 40gb Ps3. I prefers Ps3 games titles than Xbox 360. For Xbox 360 users need to pay monthly subscritions for multiplayer online gamplay. Ps3 multiplayer is free but costly games and always have overheat issues.

Fyi, my xbox360 is dead now because got red ring of death and also out of warranty. I bought since the launch in asia. I got to get another one but not now because GTA IV got more expansion in Xbox360. Hell...man... I love that game. I also love Shenmue!! I wonder What happen to the sequel.

Wii is fun but some games for family but not in long run. Don't expect the game will last long for play. It could be too easy for you. it more captures the youngster. A good workout titles for your daily exercise workout.

NDS is just a portable console that using stylus, fun games just like Wii. Cmon... everyone loves Mario games. Lots of titles to choose from... But don't expect good graphic like PSP.

PSP is more to hardcore gamers because most of the games out there might to hard for kiddies to play or not suitable at their age. I got inform by my customer before that, it's too hard for his kid to play. I just say Huh? really.. He prefers NDS games than Psp. Whatever titles that released at PS3, will also release PSP if the graphics supported. I'm sure more games will be released e.g like Assasin Creed etc.....

That's all i have to say. It's just from my point of view.
See ya..

Isn't the Red Ring of Death warranty valid for like 5 years? I remember they extended it because so many people were pissed about the Red Ring of Death. HentaiNeko22, I wouldn't give up hope before you check to make sure you can't send it in again. Nothing like getting a free repair, rather than chucking several hundred out the window for a new console. Either way, good luck with that. I feel your pain.

I have a PS2, Xbox 360 and my mother has a DS that I bought her and I steal it to play with it on a regular basis. I have wanted a PS3 from the get-go, but with the price so high before... I couldn't justify it. I would definitely get one now. I've played my friend's PS3 and loved every minute of it. I've loved the PS bloodline since the beginning and have yet to be really disappointed by the systems themselves.
My 360 has done as well as I have expected and miraculously I've only had one Red Ring of Death incident. The only thing is that, quite honestly, the entire Red Ring of Death problem is inexcusable. Not that consoles can't have issues, but to have this kind of issue, with such a high incidence. It's ridiculous and appalling. You'd think that Microsoft would actually care about whatever electronics they're producing...
I've played my friend's Wii and it's enjoyable, but yeah, I really couldn't see myself playing it as much as I play my PS2 and 360. Oddly enough, my mom now wants to buy one. I'm not sure what she found out that made her want one, but oh well...
My mom's DS has been a HUGE surprise. I've always liked Nintendo, but I was initially a little skeptical about the DS. Ever since I've been playing it, I've realized I was wrong to have so little faith in Nintendo. They know what they're doing when it comes to handheld gaming. Kudos to them.
I can't really comment on the PSP because I haven't played one myself, but I know people who have them and love them. So who knows...

I do think all of the latest next-gen consoles have been flops, though none of them have managed to flop as hard as the Dreamcast did. I think that part of it was trying to up one another, trying to rush things and then just poor planning when it came to game releases and such. I think that things can only get better from here and that sharing ideas is where the beauty is. Who cares if Nintendo thought of motion detection first? No idea is really original, since everything was based off of something else, even loosely. What matters is who can pull it out and make it best, right? Coming up with motion detection was winning a major battle, but you gotta strategize and think about how you're going to win the war.

Grishrak

Sep 24, 2008
I have both a fat and slim PS3, the fat I paid $670 with taxes but to play all my favorite games from PS1 and PS2 it was worth it. I love the fact its region free and everything you need is built in.

showbiznine

Nov 24, 2009
I have my PC and My XboX360 and I'm happy with those. There aren't any games that are PS3 exclusive that would make me buy one, and there are no features that make it worth the money imho.

Xbox live is better for online gaming than PSN, you might have to pay for it but the things you get with it (Sky TV, Facebook, Twitter etc.) make it worth the money.

The only problem I have with the xbox is the region locking, but hey, you could buy an xbox from each region and still cost just as much as a ps3.

BonsaiBozz

Jun 29, 2009
Sorry Guys....
But what have this to do with Akiba-Online???
This is not a Forum for Gaming Console comparison...
If you want to talk about Gaming/Console/PC...
go to a Gaming Forum...

Desu

アッチョンブリケ
Jun 25, 2009
Akiba-Online > General > Game Discussion

this isn't a hardware nerd forum neither, why are you wasting so much space with that signature?

not being a dick, just replying with the same tone

cattz

(◣_◢)
Jun 11, 2007
PS3 is better as far as games, graphics, exclusives, etc., but if you really want to be honest, currently the Xbox 360 is the king.

But not for system capabilities, games, etc., simply by being ridiculously easy for millions of people to mod their systems and play backups.

Something further evidenced by the ridiculous amounts of bannings to the modded consoles.

Is commonplace and almost assumed that if you own a Xbox 360 it's modded and you've bought 1-2 games ever now a days.

Anyways, I'm happy with my PS3 either way.

ssb82

Feb 13, 2008
I would only consider buying a PS3 when the console is able to play backups. I would also have to consider the cost of a bluray disc burner and the discs itself...

jayys

Nov 27, 2009
ps3 is quite worth it since it has free online play. but the introduction of a new 'special' subscription is going to spoil it =(

aznvietguy411

Oct 14, 2009
I love my PS3. I have the launch 60gb version. It's awesome. One thing I love about the system is that it's just easy to use, and region free, AND it's free! The internet on the PS3 I have to admit is a bit slower compared to the Xbox, but I like the PS3 version better because I don't have to shell out money every year to use the internet. It's free and I can have the option of wired internet or Wi-Fi.

NamiXxX

Namilover
May 2, 2010
I never actually had a PS3. Knew people who have and played with their PS3, great feeling ;)

kagami hawke

Apr 27, 2010
I'm happy with mine, but I could be way happier with it. I originally had the 40gig. It died two weeks after I bought it because of the laser error they discontinued it for. I bought the last gen of the 80gig with backwards compatibility after that. It's still working fine.

I love the games I have for it, but the problem is that there aren't enough to keep me happy with it. I don't like the other consoles this gen., and I actually play my DS more than anything else these days, which has about 40 more games for it than anything else I own. I just feel like the PS3 is a bit of a let down compared to how much I loved my PS2. I never even liked Sony consoles until PS2 changed my mind. Now I'm back to barely even caring about them, except for a few games every now and then.