Odd question about AV Studio/Label names

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Nick_Wells

Jan 3, 2013
I'm hoping someone who speaks Japanese and/or is familiar with Japanese society can clarify something for me.

So, the name of AV studio 美 translates into English as "beauty" and transliterates as "bi" (pronounced "bee"). I got that.

Their label 美ッ痴, however, seems a little enigmatic. Since 痴 translates as "foolish, stupid, dumb, silly" I figure that 美ッ痴 could be interpreted as "ridiculously beautiful". I often see this label transliterated as "bichi" (beechee), so it seems plausible. But then there's the problem of the ッ which is the katakana symbol used to 'choke' a syllable which would indicate the pronunciation would be closer to "bitchee".

So this is where my (overactive) imagination kicks in. Is this supposed to be a Japanese/English pun? Is it reasonable to assume that in English the studio/label name combo could be intended to be Beauty/Bitch? I also wonder this after perusing their website and seeing this:

So am I reading too much into this or what?

-Nick