Music Preference

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

akibakenji

Akiba Kei
Mar 25, 2007
All about the J-pops. People like AKB48, Younha, Aya Hirano, Tommy, Mika Nakashima for starters. I'll be seeing m.o.v.e at Sakura con in two weeks!

joepolo2002

Apr 7, 2007
My fav's? It has to be old school Motown (Dionne Warwick, Diana Ross & the Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Smokie Robinson - et al); & lot of the pop/rock stuff from the 80's & 90's

Botchla

Feb 22, 2007
Music is what I live for... and basically I love things from the whole alternative spectrum. Lot's of metal, rock, hardcore and female vocalists especially.
My favourite artists are:

Glassjaw, Envy, Paradise Lost, Vision Of Disorder, Iron Maiden, Lifetime, Fiona Apple, Poison The Well, Boysetsfire, Rites Of Spring, Emperor etc...

I can't stand all that jangly Britrock/indie crap that dominates the scene over here...

Opera

Rex Irae
Mar 21, 2007
Guess! ;)
I enjoy all kind of music, I think there are talented people in all scenes and that I should not restrict my mind. Sometimes it takes some times to find a good one but I've never regretted to search for a while. Classical music, jazz, hip hop (old school, 21st century's one is just MTV's crap), OSTs (Kenji Kawai, Hans Zimmer, Joe Hisaichi, ...) traditional musics from different places in the world, new wave, and so on...

ayuha

Angel Pro Fangirl
Apr 5, 2007
Well, I like punk rock/ska (Rancid, Buck O Nine, Dead Kennedys...), heavy metal (Motorhead, Judas Priest, Rush...) and... Beastie Boys.

And some black metal too, 'cause I'm norwegian and I got to appreciate my roots. LOLZ.

harry30013

Apr 3, 2007
I'm into classic rock, mostly The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, The Who and some Led Zeppelin.
I also like the solo efforts of John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison.

maliciel

Feb 28, 2007
Sort of eclectic.

Japanese Rock
Post-rock
Jazz
Classical
Metal
Prog Rock
Noise

And everything else in between, I suppose.

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
I must be oddball #2 since I like to listen to old school rap (early 90's) and indie hiphop (i love bass heavy beats)....

oh me too! me too! then maybe, like me, you get annoyed when i tell people i like hip-hop and they instinctively screw up their face like they've just smelled a poo on a plate, simply because what is portrayed as hip-hop in the general media is just pop music with rappers.... :nooo:

i have spent a small fortune on stones throw records records. peanut butter wolf is my hero, so is j dilla, so is madlib, so is mf doom..... :hero:

but i do also listen to a lot of jazz. the john coltrane quartet is my favourite band in history. i wish i had a chance to see them back then....

i have also recently discovered traditional japanese drumming. it's very inspiring

lazymule

May 14, 2007
well my music library(a patheticly small one) tells me i like

1 jpop/anime music

2 trance/rave/techno

3 stuff like rip slyme ( maybe fit under jpop? )

4 music from 80's-90's

5 Metal/ heavy metal

6 classical ( mainly piano )

7 rap

i listen to all kinds of music. i havent found one genre i dont like :beautiful:

tmmy_james

Feb 20, 2007
I love this topic! There is always a topic like this in every forum. Dang, theres a lot of people hatin rap. Besides secretly liking J-pop from anime and not tellin anyone I like rap, hip-hop, R&B, instrumentals from OST's like from games and a little bit of rock. I dont hate other genres of music, its just my chioce not to listen to them becasues it doesnt attract me or Im to busy listenin to what I like.

kbryc08

Master Cheef
Super Moderator
Nov 17, 2006
oh me too! me too! then maybe, like me, you get annoyed when i tell people i like hip-hop and they instinctively screw up their face like they've just smelled a poo on a plate, simply because what is portrayed as hip-hop in the general media is just pop music with rappers.... :nooo:

Yea, I don't even listen to the radio anymore simply because i'm tired of 99% of the stuff that's out there, I just use my mp3 player now.

btw I believe your user title is a Robert Jordan reference? I hope the next book, A Memory of Light, comes out by next year. Though it's been awhile since I've read the books so I'll have to re-read the latest one again to refresh my memory.

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
Yea, I don't even listen to the radio anymore simply because i'm tired of 99% of the stuff that's out there, I just use my mp3 player now.

btw I believe your user title is a Robert Jordan reference? I hope the next book, A Memory of Light, comes out by next year. Though it's been awhile since I've read the books so I'll have to re-read the latest one again to refresh my memory.

Ah another Wheel of Time fan. Nice. I got up to book 8, then started again from the beginning, because my head was spinning with names and places and clans and septs and lords and ladies and all the rest of it!!

It's actually quite nice starting again. It really sinks in more, and besides I was stoned most of the time when I first read them, so now I'm sober I'm remembering a lot more!!

Oh and PLEASE don't give away any spoilers. I consciously avoid any webpages, other than Robert Jordan's blog (to check on his health situation) incase I find out some unwanted info... Thanks in advance