missing folder and files

reingiolt

二マ...
Feb 27, 2007
i have this one big folder ( more than 10 GBs ) than contains all of my newly download anime shows. after my laptop got suddenly shut down and displayed a blue screen which may just be a BSOD, i restarted in safe mode and was able to enter. my other files are still there but that one particular folder and all it's contents have suddenly dissapeared. i tried using the search function and the only results were shortcuts to that folder that don't work anymore. i know it's still somewhere in my HDD cause the space it was consuming is still there. any1 know any solutions?

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
you could use the DOS command from the DOS input panel (don´t know the correct name in english):

chkdsk c: /f /r

works with win 2000 and XP, don´t know atm if with Vista too

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
you know this window?

what´s the matter with your new laptop, it isn´t your friend, eh? Seems to be a Monday´s production...

you can type the command in the line shown, you must not type cd.. until you are at c:/ (if you know the old DOS commands, what times were that when we still could edit config.sys and autoexec.bat so that the computer would do what we want, several start discs with different drivers loaded...).
I want my XT/16 back, 1 MB memory, 640 KB could be used, 2 floppy discs and a 20 MB !!! HDD, huge as 4 x 1 TB HDD today, with DOS 3.0, it was at it´s end when Windows 3.0 appeared.... - then 286, 386, 486DX, Pentium I + II and so on...

Who remembers Lotus for DOS or Starwriter or the old D-Base?

reingiolt

二マ...
Feb 27, 2007
you know this window?

what´s the matter with your new laptop, it isn´t your friend, eh? Seems to be a Monday´s production...

you can type the command in the line shown, you must not type cd.. until you are at c:/ (if you know the old DOS commands, what times were that when we still could edit config.sys and autoexec.bat so that the computer would do what we want, several start discs with different drivers loaded...).
I want my XT/16 back, 1 MB memory, 640 KB could be used, 2 floppy discs and a 20 MB !!! HDD, huge as 4 x 1 TB HDD today, with DOS 3.0, it was at it´s end when Windows 3.0 appeared.... - then 286, 386, 486DX, Pentium I + II and so on...

Who remembers Lotus for DOS or Starwriter or the old D-Base?

wat u mean you must not type cd.. until you are at c:/ ?how do i get there?

reingiolt

二マ...
Feb 27, 2007
ok i managed to do it but it displays this error-
chcdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
this is the command to repair your HDD and to bring back your folder. The complete HDD will be checked, folders, files, structure and INDEX.

Try to start win with secured mode and command level (how to explain something when the eng. word is missing). Can someone explain reingiolt what I mean and how to do it?

found this: http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=5097

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007

reingiolt

二マ...
Feb 27, 2007
unfortunately i'm using vista, anyway i tried it but got this error instead - chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. tried shutting down but nothing was happening

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007

reingiolt

二マ...
Feb 27, 2007
thanks for all the help. i actually managed to do the chkdsk but no errors turned up and the folder is still gone. so i just did a system recovery instead.