A Move & Compare utility?

Summer-Time-Fun

Apr 1, 2007
Hi
I've been using FreeFileSync for years, and it's been a priceless tool!
I'm wondering if someone could recommend something similar that actually moves the data before executing a full copy/overwrite?

The problem I'm having with FreeFileSync is that, sometimes I'm re-ordering a large number of folders and files in a root directory that do not need to be replaced as the files and folders themselves are still intact. In other words, it doesn't make sense to completely delete and re-copy 50 Gbs of data when it's all there, but in a different location in the same root folder. FreeFileSync doesn't seem to know that you've moved a folder in a lower sub directory of the root, so it deletes what doesn't match and re-copy's it.

Last edited:

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Wish I could help but it is not something I have ever much needed. Usually I would go on a search for for something for you but I wouldn't know where to start.

MajorGeeks and Sourceforge might be a better place to ask in this instance. Especially Sourceforge as the developers might actually hear your input. What version are you using?

Last edited:
Reactions: Summer-Time-Fun

Summer-Time-Fun

Apr 1, 2007
Hi Ceewan
I'm using the latest which I believe is 6.10 at this time. I've also have the Linux version, but can't recall what that is at the moment.
I've looked into others such as ExamDiff, WinMerge, but they all do the same thing. Some of the others are more geared for internal code editing comparisons.

By the way, off topic, but with regard to Linux. The developer of FreeFileSync is cool, I was having an issue with it under Debian Linux where the drag-to browse feature was not working. He fixed and released a new version the next day, that was months ago. Maybe I should try to request this, though I'm sure others have. Maybe it's not an easy thing to implement. Another thing these file comparison utility's need is a built in shreader. So when files are removed by the utility they automatically get shredded.

Last edited: