1. Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

meguIV: The Official Akiba-Online DVD Encoder (v1.0.1.1)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Rollyco, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Menauer

Menauer Member

Is there a way to manually crop the image? Sometimes borders aren't completely removed automatically and other times they aren't black, so they aren't detected at all.
  2. SamKook

SamKook Akiba Citizen Uploader

If you can edit the avisynth script before the encode start, it's only a matter of modifying the crop statement.

Not sure how/if you can though since it's been years since I used MeguIVit. Maybe someone else will help you with that.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Menauer

Menauer Member

I am able to see the AviSynth profile configuration panel, and I can mess with the crop section. But it's gibberish to me, so I would appreciate any help with editing it.
  4. SamKook

1 person likes this.
  5. Menauer

Menauer Member

That did help, thanks a lot SamKook.
    I am going to miss this program so much when I'm forced to "upgrade" from Windiws 7.
  6. SamKook

You can always learn how to use avisynth with the QTGMC filter(which is what gives such a great result in MeguIVit), x264 and the merging tool of your choice, those will most likely always work with future OS since people actively work on them.
    The only difference is that you don't have a nice GUI to do it all.
    1 person likes this.
  7. boothp3

boothp3 Addicted to [HQ]

Error

So I'm trying my hand at encoding and had some success with the base one-click no mods option but when I tried to do some customizing and used Mr. Vti's settings posted HERE I get the following (see attachment) error notification during the per-procesing phase.

Also I've noticed that although I downloaded and used Vit's sandbox download on post #883 the title bar says beta 3 not 4 as I think it is supposed to be. What am I missing is there another more recent download that I should be using or maybe a set of plugins.

Any help is appreciated since I have a new rig and a lot of ISO's I want to test it on.

Attached Files:

8. SamKook

FFT3dfilter(which isn't always required depending on the options) can be a bit tricky sometime and can't be loaded from the sandbox for some reason. Check this post to fix it: http://www.akiba-online.com/showthread.php?t=74107&page=42&p=904422#post904422

I think he forgot to update the beta number for the latest release and didn't bother uploading it again just to change the version number, but it's been so long that I can't be sure. I'm pretty sure the release in post 883 is the latest one though.
    1 person likes this.
  9. boothp3

boothp3 Addicted to [HQ]

Thanks a bunch that solved my problem but now I have another question. It seems that when the rips are made using Rollyco's original instructions, to start with VTS_01_1, what seems to be an intro part of the dvd is placed at the end of the video. My question is has anyone else noticed this and is there a fix? (like renaming VOB files)

I noticed this issue when the final encode of a dvd was a little over a minute longer than the ISO run-time on VLC, and that extra minute looked as close to an intro as it can get (i.e. visual summary, titles, etc.)

The two other encodes I made have something similar but in their case it's only a few seconds long, which I can live with, but I'd really like the videos to be in the right order, intro-->video-->extras.
  10. bobthemonkey

bobthemonkey Member

Hello anyone willing to help me out. :D

So to start off, I have no background or knowledge on encodings, containers, etc, etc. Just looking to rip my idol DVD (region 2) to a mp4 format. (By which I mean, I'd like something I can play on my laptop that's not as big as an ISO file and doesn't require me using the physical disc.)

So I have my DVD inserted into my drive. I'm using a Sony VAIO with Win 7 and the i5 processor. 146GB free on my hard drive at the moment.

I've followed this post. Downloaded meguIV, got rid of the sandbox, replaced the sandbox with meguIVit's sandbox and ran meguIV(it). I don't know what the ExtraDlls attachment referred to, but I assume it was lost when all the other attachments were lost. Same goes for the pics in the quick pictorial guide linked to in the same post.

So I'm basically following the instructions in the first post. I clicked the one-click button and went though most of the process the same way. Created a project title, chose a working directory on my local hard drive (C:\meguivit-sandbox), left the audio at the default ACC setting, changed the video output to mp4 for standard devices.

My list of VOB files are:
    • VIDEO_TS.VOB
    • VTS_01_0.VOB
    • VTS_01_1.VOB
    • VTS_01_2.VOB
    • VTS_01_3.VOB
    • VTS_01_4.VOB
    • VTS_01_5.VOB

When I first tried selecting VTS_01_0.VOB, it gave me this error immediately after selecting the file:
    Error00.PNG

So naturally I try to switch to VTS_01_1.VOB. Ran through all the steps I mentioned above from the working directory to the mp4 thing. Clicked "Go!" Right after that, I got this message:
    Error01.PNG
    I left "Chapter File" as "<internal VOB chapters>". Is that the issue there? My DVD drive is F: and my workspace should be in C:.

Anyway, I click Ok and let it run for a while. Eventually, I got this message:
    Error02.PNG

And it errors out... So that's where I'm stuck.

Also, I tried VIDEO_TS.VOB just for kicks, but it would give me the chapters file error and only give me a 6 second video of the studio intro. :D

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
  11. SamKook

VTS_01_1.VOB is the right file, never use *_0.vob or the VIDEO_TS one.

You can't use MeguIV(it) with a source straight from a DVD drive(even if it's only a virtual one), you have to rip the disc to your hdd first(I like to use DVDDecrypter for that).

I suggest you read the first post of this thread a couple of times and make sure to understand it since it clearly state those 2 things at step 2 and should be mostly valid even for MeguIVit even though it's only for MeguIV.
    1 person likes this.
  12. bobthemonkey

bobthemonkey Member

I don't know how my eyes glazed over that part in step 2 with the chapter file. It was even highlighted...

Thanks for sending me on the right path, SamKook!

Edit: Yup, definitely working now. Thanks again!

Edit 2: I probably skipped over that helpful, highlighted hint since it was referring to ISOs, and I thought it meant ISO files specifically.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2014
  13. zoolanimal

zoolanimal jav fisting connoisseur

vitreoous,

i'm trying my hand at using MeguIVit but as i need as much help as i can having the "quick pictorial guide" would be very helpful. is there some where this has been reposted as the link above is dead?
  14. SamKook

A quick tip, you can check the postcount from the broken links and then manually go to the right page when it's in the same thread so the guide is there: http://www.akiba-online.com/threads...vd-encoder-v1-0-1-1.73866/page-33#post-380092

The only problem is that the pictures are gone because they pre-date the forum troubles with the attachments(but there's still useful information in the post) and Vitreous hasn't been on the forum for over a year according to his profile.

If you're lucky, maybe someone saved the pictures and can reupload them, but I'd say it's unlikely.

You can always ask about things you're not sure about here and I or someone else who's actually using it should be able to help you.

Some tip you won't find in this thread is that you're usually better off not using the sourcematch/lossless option with a JAV source unless the DVD quality is unusually high.
    Most people use it to rip idol movies in here which are shorter and are usually of much better quality than JAV so trying to keep as much detail as possible with a source of lower quality is less desirable since the problems will pop out more.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    zoolanimal likes this.
  15. zoolanimal

zoolanimal jav fisting connoisseur

i finally downloaded the torrent that contained the original MeguIVit files that includes an .rtf file i think has the original pics. as .rtf is not a recognized file type for posting on aol i have made thumbnails of the .rtf file. here are the thumbnails:

2014-10-05_145021.
    2014-10-05_145234.
    2014-10-05_145255.

the torrent file and other files contained in the torrent, as well as my thumbnails, are enclosed in a .rar file called the MeguIVit 1.0.0.0 Beta-4.rar and there is no pw. the files i obtained from the torrent are:

meguIV.zip
    meguIVit_1.0.0_beta4.zip
    ExtraDlls.zip
    INSTALL.txt
    TUTORIAL.rtf

here's a subyshare link to the above:
    http://subyshare.com/ocf2exjdb2qy/MeguIVit_1.0.0.0_Beta-4.rar.html

i added to the original torrent contents, my thumbnails and the torrent file. the magnet link from uTorrent is:

Code:
    magnet:?xt=urn:btih:BB6E10E2D07E1417FC44B9714ED60609937ED2E7&dn=MeguIVit%201.0.0.0%20Beta-4&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%3a80&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.istole.it%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fopen.demonii.com%3a1337&tr=http%3a%2f%2ftracker.tntvillage.scambioetico.org%3a2710%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.tntvillage.scambioetico.org%3a2710%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.ccc.de%3a80&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.istole.it%3a80&tr=http%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com0%2fannounce&tr=%2ahttp%3a%2f%2ftracker.thepiratebay.org%2fannounce
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    cutemaster likes this.
  16. shank

shank Member

This tool has served me well over the years. I understand Vit has had to move on from this tool (thank you sir and everyone else involved for simplifying a complex process for the masses), but I'm looking to piece together a setup which does the same job, but with updated individual tools. After about 5 years, I imagine all the software and encoders built into MeguIVit must have had substantial updates and improvements to quality and speed over the years.

I am looking towards either piecing together my own custom MeguIVit with updated components (latest versions of MeGUI, TempGaussMC (or QTGMC now?), x264, better AAC encoder) or recreating a similar setup. I dabbled with Xvid encoding ~10 years ago, so my knowledge is limited, faded, and dated. Though I recall big breakthroughs in encoding seemed to come at a slow pace, so maybe there really isn't any reason to update.

Is there an up-to-date tool already out there that does what MeguIVit does or can anyone provide any insight on my endeavor? Or has anyone else already tried to update the individual components within MeguIVit and had success?
  17. SamKook

The only thing that would really need to get an upgrade is x264 and you can easily do that by copying a newer executable over the one in the virtual drive created by meguIVit. I used to do that for a couple of dlls so I could use it on a pc that didn't support sse2.

Inside the sandbox folder, it's located in there: meguIV\1.0.1.1\Virtual\MODIFIED\@SYSDRIVE@\meguIV\MeGUI\tools\x264
    If it won't overwrite it or if MeguIVit doesn't want to use it that way(I never tried it this way, but it should work), you can also overwrite it from an open dialog box in MeguIVit and going into the virtual megui folder created on the C: (I can give a more detailed explanation if needed).

-MeGUI is simply a user interface so as long as there's no bug or new features to take advantage of(there isn't in our case), there's no need to update it.
    -MeguIVit use QTGMC instead of TempGaussMC, but that plugin was created by Vit so the updates stopped at the same time as MeguIVit(there is a newer version than the one used here, but it wasn't released as stable and there nothing much to gain if I remember correctly, it was to be able to use the newer colorspace in the latest avisynth version, but we don't need those for DVDs).
    -nero's aac encoder(the one used here I think) hasn't been updated in years so it use the latest version which is from 2010(I checked since you said it's been 5 years and it really is 1.5.4 that's being used so the last MeguIVit must be less old than you think). Last time I checked, there wasn't any clear better ones, it's pretty much only a matter of opinion so you're fine sticking with it(I do).

Personally, I use a bunch of scripts(I'm constantly upgrading to make my life easier) that still use pretty much the same components used in MeguIVit which means there hasn't been any great improvement in the past years that are worthwhile moving to.
    The closest thing would have been avisynth+ which promised a redesigned cache system and multi-threading mode and a 64bit version, all things that would help preventing crashes that plague the current avisynth with heavy processing, but its development came to a crawl many months ago and it's not worth moving to it in its current state.
    In case you're interested, I could put an updated version of my scripts, I stopped updating the thread because of lack of interest and it has come a long way since then(and the next major changes will make it even better and more user firendly). Here's the intimidating thread to give you an idea: http://www.akiba-online.com/threads/mostly-automatic-encoding-preparing-for-posting-process.1049300/

You can also use plain Megui and learn how to do the steps yourself now that you have more experience, MeguIVit just makes it faster/simpler.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    shank likes this.
  18. shank

shank Member

This mainly came to mind, because I'm noticing encodes of gravure dvds are usually 1.5-2GBs or larger nowadays, and that is just too large for a 90 minute, 480p, 60fps encode and I want to optimize my setup.

I want high quality and use Vit's Quality+1 video encoding preset, since he mentioned in this thread long ago that due to some x264 changes, it is a closer match to what is considered HQ. I also found the beta4 release post from Jan 2012, so guess it's only about 3 yrs.

I follow audio encoding a bit at HydrogenAudio and I moved on from that Nero setup (It was great at the time. Good quality and free). I want to use my optimized AAC (Fraunhofer) encoding setup which I have ABX'ed to do the audio. Then I figured x264 must have had decent upgrades and given the video is the majority of the content, wanted to update that. Figured I'd try a complete overhaul here.

I found the x264 exe in the path you mentioned and another "\meguIV\1.0.1.1\Virtual\STUBEXE\8.0.1135\@SYSDRIVE@\meguIV\MeGUI\tools\x264". I replaced the first one you mentioned, but the encoded result was only 2KB different, so I had a feeling it didn't really use the one I replaced. So as another test, I removed all x264.exe from both locations, tested another encode (it should have failed without an x264.exe), but it finished the encode (much larger filesize too), so I'm not really sure where it's pulling x264 from.

I was afraid if I wanted to optimize things, I'd need to start from scratch, and all the custom settings that are built into MeguIVit and its internals are numerous and daunting. I'll just have to dedicate some major time into this and figure it all out, :stress: lol.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  19. SamKook

In that case, for x264, use the second option I mentioned which will work:
    - Open MeguIVit
    - Click on any of the 3 dotted buttons so that an open dialog window appears(doesn't matter which, we'll cancel it anyway)
    - Make sure "All files(*.*)" is selected as the type or type * and press enter for the file name. Both will force every file to show up which is what we want here.
    - Navigate to "C:\meguIV\MeGUI\tools\x264"(the meguIV folder in the C is a virtual one)
    - Drag an drop a 32bit version(very important) of x264.exe(rename it if it's not named that way) in the open dialog window and it should ask you to replace the one in there.
    If it just hangs there(it did in my test), delete the x264.exe in the open dialog box, close MeguIVit completely, reopen it and copy and paste(not drag and drop) the newer x264.exe. That worked for me.
    - Then cancel the open dialog window and you're all done.

You can then use mediainfo or something similar to check if it's really the newer version that's being used since it will be displayed as the Writing library.
    I did a quick test and it is indeed using the right version for me.
    And yes, there's always small amelioration to x264 so jumping a few years forward should help quite a bit.
    I did a 1000 frames test and with the old x264 version, the file size was 3.4MB and it was 2.8MB with the new(not quite the latest) one.

As for the aac setup, if the Megui version used by MeguIVit can support the encoder you're using, it should be possible to create a preset for it and use that after copying the exe to the right place using the same method as x264.
    Which windows binaries are you using for aac? I did a very quick search and didn't find it right away, but I'll definitely take a look at it and try to use it from now on if you can notice a difference. The last test I looked at had people ranking nero as either the best or the worst so not very reliable, but I mostly follow doom9 and only occasionally take a look at hydrogenaudio.

If you want to optimize your setup, you should tweak the Quality+1 preset to use the veryslow x264 preset instead of the slow one, it will decrease the file size while keeping the same quality, but it will be slower.
    Personally, I use something similar to +3 which has a CRF of 18 since I can notice the compression artifacts introduced by a CRF of 19.5 which is what +1 is using, but Vitreous tends to use too high a compression for my liking so it's very subjective and different people are bothered/don't notice different things.

Edit: I did a bit more research for the aac encoder you mentioned and it seems that the only thing needed is a special build of ffmpeg that needs to be compiled for it since binaries can't get redistributed because of licenses conflict so it should be fairly easy to use it with MeguIVit, just replace the ffmpeg exe in the ffmpeg folder located at the same place as the others, create a preset with the settings you want(not sure if it will stay though, I haven't experimented with that, but it's certainly possible to add it in some way since Vitreous did it) and use it.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    shank likes this.
  20. shank

shank Member

The second method gave me errors saying the path or filename was invalid when trying to drag&drop or copy/paste into the Open dialogue, then eventually caused the program to crash whenever clicking any "..." button, so I created a fresh MeguIVit setup and was able to update x264 the original way (updating the file through the Sandbox folder before running the program) and verified the version used on the encode with MediaInfo.

I used a short "extras" video from a gravure dvd to test encodes. It is a 3 minute gravure video with indoor and outdoor scenes. I made encodes using the original x264 and the latest x264 at each of Vit's quality presets to compare. That simple update decreased filesize for every encode by 15%-20%.
    With the new x264 in place, I additionally changed the preset speed from slow to veryslow (in the Default and Quality+1 presets. Q3 is already veryslow), and the resulting encodes were a total of 20%-30% smaller than encodes with the original x264 and original speed preset setting. I believe these changes cause no quality loss, and yet decrease filesize a considerable amount. If that is true, this is great!

Yeah, Fraunhofer AAC is in a tricky situation. As you mentioned, the simplest solution would be ffmpeg compiled with the proper library, but a patent issue prevents that from being readily available. I wasn't able to find a good source for it when I set it up. I instead have a manual setup using fhgaacenc and Winamp dll's. It does not accept ac3 as input, though, so I cannot compare it to the Nero implementation in MeguIVit at the moment. I'm looking for a way around that. I expect the filesize/quality to be better, but not by much, which will have a small effect on the movie file as a whole, so I haven't gotten to it yet.

It doesn't sound like there are any other components to update, so that leaves me with figuring out my audio situation.

Oh, I want to find a good way to compare video quality. For audio, we have ABX testing, but I don't think there is an equivalent for video. The best I can come up with is playing back the source and the encode simultaneously, side by side, in two instances of my media player, at similar time stamps, looking back and forth trying to find differences. How do you or Vit (or any other video experts/developers) compare quality? Or is there an official method?
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014