meguIV: The Official Akiba-Online DVD Encoder (v1.0.1.1)

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
So what setting increased my file size so much?

Since you're using CRF with x264, it automatically decides how much bitrate is needed to make it look good so it depends entirely on the source. Some will compress really well and some won't.

The less detail you keep, the smaller it will be so if you want a smaller file size, you need to either tell QTGMC to keep less details or tell x264 to compress more.

Vitreous

°
Former Staff
Sep 13, 2009
Since you're using CFR with x64
You mean CRF (constant rate factor) with x264 :p

CMoar: CRF effectively means the quality will be constant, which means the bitrate will not be constant and the filesize is unpredictable. The obvious factor affecting the filesize is the running time of the video. Then the complexity of the content: firstly detail, e.g. trees or bushes - lots of bits needed to store that compared to say, a plain white wall; also rapid/unpredictable movement, e.g. a hand-held camera, or those same leaves blowing in the wind etc. So generally, indoor shoots compress well, and outdoor shoots don't (especially in natural environments).

So you need to judge the complexity+length of the video before ripping, and from that make a decision about CRF. If a video is long/complex then it's often compressed badly already (if the DVDISO is still around 4GB). There's no point storing it with excessive bitrate if the detail/quality isn't there to start with. I usually adjust my CRFs up or down depending on complexity and how much I like the video. Only experience will tell you how much to adjust (but if you add 3.0 then the filesize halves, subtract 3.0 and it doubles, so the adjustments are usually much less than that).

___

You're pushing too much, 64 hours is not worthwhile unless there's something special about the rip (e.g. I'm currently repairing a BDISO (Rei) that has serious bitrate problems, the detail pulses on and off. I'm running a six-pass process to repair it, probably the most complex script I've ever used. Even that will take < 60 hours at 1080p@60fps). The fact you can't get anywhere near 100% CPU is your problem, and really the only way you're going hit 100% CPU with those settings is to learn to rip manually so you can multi-process + multi-thread (which is how I can run insane settings without dying of old age first).

Are you comparing the output of your rips to see whether your settings are giving worthwhile improvements? I provided the trim settings so you could make test rips quickly. Every video is different, some don't benefit from source match, others need more smoothing or less noise etc. Ripping at this level needs to be methodical or it's time wasted, there are no perfect settings that are best for everything. It will also help you see how little you are getting for those extra 60 hours of rip time (diminishing returns...)

BTW. You will never hit utmost quality. I mentioned the most accurate settings earlier, but in reality there are better settings/scripts than that. They're just so slow that no-one could ever use them. Firstly, QTGMC works better if you run it twice, with the second pass using the output of the first to guide it (1st pass Placebo, 2nd pass Very Slow). Secondly, there are two source match presets that I don't expose in MeguIVit. By default both settings are around Very Fast, yet they both go to Placebo. There are complex pre-filters for motion analysis, high quality noise processing, EEDI3+NNEDI3 combos for interpolation, etc. etc. etc. Would take a year for a rip if you used it all. Once you accept you cannot hit ultimate quality then you can feel OK when you step it back to something more sensible...

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
You mean CRF (constant rate factor) with x264 :p

Indeed, I blame it on the keyboard of my backup computer and my main computer taking too much space on my desk.

CmoarIdols: If you want to give manual ripping a go, check my "Auto Encoding to Posting" tutorial. It's basically a bunch of .bat files that automate my ripping process as much as possible while letting me configure everything the way I want. So it's not very hard to use and it will let you learn how it works. It also explains how to install everything you need to use QTGMC so if you only want to do that, you can.

Edit: I forgot to say that most of the scripts only work for DVD and not Bluray for now. It can easily be modified if you know what you're doing though but I haven't had the time to do it properly yet since I think I finally finished constantly modifying it only yesterday(so I'll upload a new version soon).

Edit2: I just uploaded the new version.

SecretPal

Beyond Redemption
Apr 2, 2009
I have used this software a dozen times for general cleanup. Yesterday I got the message, "Couldn't create input file in HIDE mode! Web search says commas are the issue. I have none....even renamed the .vob files to no avail. Any suggestions?

Vitreous

°
Former Staff
Sep 13, 2009
This has come up before but I can't find/remember the detail. Non-western characters in the filename?

SecretPal

Beyond Redemption
Apr 2, 2009
Solved

This has come up before but I can't find/remember the detail. Non-western characters in the filename?

YEP! The Japanese characters were in the folder name even though not in the file name. Thanks for the tip....SP.

loveIdols

Nov 7, 2007
Download links are broken.

megaupload.com is down for a long time due to seizure by FBI, and depositfiles.com says:
This file does not exist, the access to the following file is limited or it has been removed due to infringement of copyright.

Vitreous

°
Former Staff
Sep 13, 2009
This forum is outside of my mod area, so I can't make the change.

(Edit by elgringo14: now it is done :snicker:)

no__One

May 27, 2007
I want it on HP-UX and BeOS too...
What, it's never ever be available???
I am so saddened to hear this terrible news.:notagain:

Trier jokes.
You can still try your luck with Virtualbox, notwithstanding, the performances likely to be well below your expectations.

hofct

Jul 10, 2009
Hi,

I' ve just upgrade the system to Win7 64bit, but the meguIV.exe just crashed on start with message "Stopped Working".
prtscrcapture2l.jpg

Is there any additional installation step I missed?

hofct

Jul 10, 2009
Thanks.
Should I reinstall both x86 and x64 editions ?
There are my current installs.
77410944.jpg