meguIV: The Official Akiba-Online DVD Encoder (v1.0.1.1)

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

shank

May 27, 2007
I recently wiped my system drive and installed Windows 8 (64bit). Until this point, I had been using the setup we got working about a year and a half ago (within Win7 64bit) in this thread. The working meguIVit folder still exists on another hard drive. When I attempt to run it I get an app crash: "meguIV (MeGUI Mod) has stopped working".

Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	meguIV.exe
  Application Version:	1.0.1.1
  Application Timestamp:	00000005
  Fault Module Name:	StackHash_2beb
  Fault Module Version:	0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:	00000000
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	PCH_7D_FROM_ntdll+0x00041318
  OS Version:	6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.4
  Locale ID:	1033
  Additional Information 1:	2beb
  Additional Information 2:	2beba6fb4680d73a8c78ca7c24ccdb46
  Additional Information 3:	57bb
  Additional Information 4:	57bb1748bde36f3068327d743433f3d2

I have tried setting up MeguIVit beta 4 in a new folder and get the same error. I reviewed my issues from before here and Snakeboy's here but they are both fixed in beta 4 anyway.
I have x86 and x64 versions of MS Visual C++ Redistributable of 2005, 2008, and 2010 installed.
I added MSVCR71.DLL to my windows/sysWOW64 as described here.

I'm out of ideas. Has anyone else gotten this to run in Windows 8 (64bit)? Maybe it's not a Win8 issue and I'm forgetting something.

Vitreous

°
Former Staff
Sep 13, 2009
I'm not changing to Win8 for a while, if at all. So I haven't tested. My best guess is the packager may not work given it's complexities, and that is consistent with the error. That would mean a change of packager, or none at all. However, I don't even have the time to rip these days, never mind update the tools - so I don't expect to make such a change for a long while. Sorry, I think MeguIV is in stasis for now.

shank

May 27, 2007
Damn, I noticed beta 4 came out this month last year this month and had my fingers crossed for an update. I actually had that "what am I going to do now?" sinking feeling after reading your post, haha. I'll think of something. I'm staying with Win8, because of an unexpected improvement regarding Desktop capturing (for streaming to sites like Twitch.tv) which is much, much faster than Win7.

I fiddled with the compatibility troubleshooter and eventually got an error related to Xenocode. I checked their Spoon Studio site and Win8 support was added in Sep 2012, so maybe it is that after all.

If I simply right-click the exe and choose different OS's (I tried Win7, Vista sp2 and XP sp3), I end up with the same error as in my previous post. However, if I right-click the exe and run the Compatibility Troubleshooter on it, tell it the application ran on a previous version of Windows, Win7, it must change more settings, because I end up with the Xenocode Virtual Desktop error:
The application was unable to load a required virtual machine component. Please contact the publisher of this application for more information.

Since you aren't interested in Win8, if you do squeeze in the time to update, I will be around to do troubleshooting within Windows 8 with you.

samdetente

Mar 1, 2013
This is the first setup that made TempGaussMC work fast...or faster than glacier speeds on my computer. Haha...just curious, JPN is an NTSC country, why not just use IVTC?

I think I know the answer, but just asking.

Vitreous

°
Former Staff
Sep 13, 2009
Because these videos are pure interlace filmed at 60 fields (half-frames) per second (60i). They are not film at 24p with telecine applied. So they need deinterlacing to create full-frame 60p. IVTC would try to recover 24p and make a mess.

awfertg

Feb 21, 2007
Hi vitreous,
it's possible to encode a video with 2 different crf?
let's say the first half at 21 the rest at 18?
Thanks for this fantastic tool!

edit:
another question,
there is a tool to compare a few random frame with different settings, maybe just the best ones, to make choosing the best setting faster?
thanks samKook and itisyours for the replies!

edit2:
ok last question,
considering time and quality, compared to the "slower" setting, it's a better choice a very slow deinterlacing or a very slow x264 preset?
bye again

edit3:
really this is, probably, the last edit,
it's normal that the name of the window is meguivit 1.0.0.0 beta-3 instead of beta-4?
it's possible to do 10bit encodes with meguivit? or maybe add it in a future version?
if I put a trim start and want to encode till the end I have to put the last frame number, maybe leaving a 0 would be easier (like it says in the hint)
btw the encode crashed after 11 hrs :( but restarting with a longer one :)

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
You can always encode the 2 half separately and then join them with the appropriate container editing software(like mkvmerge for mkv's).
I very much doubt it's possible otherwise, especially with meguIVit which is a very automated solution.

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
Hi vitreous,
it's possible to encode a video with 2 different crf?
let's say the first half at 21 the rest at 18?
Thanks for this fantastic tool!

edit:
another question,
there is a tool to compare a few random frame with different settings, maybe just the best ones, to make choosing the best setting faster?
thanks samKook for the reply!

edit2:
ok last question,
considering time and quality, compared to the "slower" setting, it's a better choice a very slow deinterlacing or a very slow x264 preset?
bye again

vit, or someone will be here to answer your question in more detail but until then, meguIVit supports that function natively. in the bottom left of the "Custom Processing" tab, use the "Trim" start and end fields to enter your converted timecode values as frames. the encoder will then deinterlace, 264 and output this range. better to choose 2 or 3 different types of scene (movement, close-up, long shot etc) and then make adjustments from there.

regarding deinterlacing and 264, i asked that same question myself. to paraphrase that answer (i cant find the post atm) "the intrinsic natures of QTGMC and 264 are difficult to compare in a 'normal' sense. although slower deinterlacing settings and an increased CRF (for quality) generally result in better results, this is not strictly the case and simply dialing either one up may not achieve the desired result".

in my personal experience "Slower" and "Quality+2" (again, the 264 setting you choose will vary according to the source) gives excellent results and takes my machine (1st gen i7 @ 2.80GHz) between 3-4 hours to encode an hour of video, start to finish. this is quite acceptable to me.

another member who insists on all the settings turned up to 'max' has his machine (an AMD hex-core i think) occupied for around 30 hours sometimes yet, to my eye, processing time outweighs the quality gains many fold.

you really just need to go with what suits you and your setup.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
edit:
another question,
thanks samKook and itisyours for the replies!

Once you've trimmed and encoded a(or ideally 3-4) small part of the video, you can use this handy tool to compare them: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=138430
You load 2 video and clicking on it will switch to the other so it's make comparing very easy.
If all the links in the thread are dead you can also get it here: http://www.akiba-online.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2268107&postcount=3312

edit2:
ok last question,
bye again

It depends on your definition of better. It can change depending on the source material, but generally, slower deinterlacing will produce a better visual quality for the picture. As for x264, using a specific crf value will keep mostly the same quality with all presets but the filesize and encoding speed will vary a lot.
Check the edit in this post for an example of what I mean(for the size at least, I forgot to log the time when I did it): http://www.akiba-online.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2168946&postcount=14

I personally don't care how long it takes me, I always use what I consider to be the best setting possible(QTGMC placebo or very slow, depending on the source and x264 10bit veryslow), but I don't use MeguIVit anymore and there are a lot of other settings set which won't translate to it.
It take me around 5 hours to encode a 2 hour DVD with my 2nd gen i7 overclocked @ 4.7GHz and around 48 hours for a 1080p bluray.

edit3:
really this is, probably, the last edit,
it's normal that the name of the window is meguivit 1.0.0.0 beta-3 instead of beta-4?
it's possible to do 10bit encodes with meguivit? or maybe add it in a future version?
if I put a trim start and want to encode till the end I have to put the last frame number, maybe leaving a 0 would be easier (like it says in the hint)
btw the encode crashed after 11 hrs :( but restarting with a longer one :)
I'm guessing he probably only forgot to change it when he made the new version so if you're sure you downloaded the right one and you removed the old folder(I forgot what it's called) then I would say it is normal.

You can try to replace the x264 exe to a 10bit one(open any file selection dialog in the settings, navigate to where x264 is in the virtual folder and copy-paste the 10 bit exe to it), it should work since the 8 and 10 bit version act exactly the same.

Did you try to put in the 0? Avysinth which is what it uses supports using a 0 to mean the rest of the video so in theory it should work. Unless the interface vitreous created needs to make some calculation with it so in that case he may have disabled it.

If you get crashes with the settings you're using, you'll want to play with the maximum memory setting(also forgot what he calls it, sorry about that)

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
my version (downloaded from the beta-4 link) says "beta 3" at the top too. this was remedied i think but nothing else was changed so i didnt bother downloading it again.

the folder created my meguiv is called 'Sandbox'.

the memory setting is "memory cache" i think (on the "Custom Processing" tab). this can be adjusted but doesnt relate to how much system memory you have but the amount of memory that can be utilized by (avisynth?) which is 2GB??

using (or not using) prerendering may also help your problem.

thelolibear

Loli Collector
Apr 30, 2007
Hey, this seems to be perfect for me because i have no experience with dvd encoding, so this is a "one" click solution? Would be great.

Can someone re-upload it? Seems the download wont work, i found a "torrent" file with google but that one isnt seedet and some downloads of the old beta.
Or if someone can guide me how to do it let me know on PM.
Thanks in advance!

IdolFun

★ ☆ I Am God ☆★
Super Moderator
Oct 16, 2007

Menauer

Oct 11, 2013
Is there a way to manually crop the image? Sometimes borders aren't completely removed automatically and other times they aren't black, so they aren't detected at all.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
If you can edit the avisynth script before the encode start, it's only a matter of modifying the crop statement.

Not sure how/if you can though since it's been years since I used MeguIVit. Maybe someone else will help you with that.

Reactions: 1 person

Menauer

Oct 11, 2013
I am able to see the AviSynth profile configuration panel, and I can mess with the crop section. But it's gibberish to me, so I would appreciate any help with editing it.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009

Menauer

Oct 11, 2013
That did help, thanks a lot SamKook.
I am going to miss this program so much when I'm forced to "upgrade" from Windiws 7.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
You can always learn how to use avisynth with the QTGMC filter(which is what gives such a great result in MeguIVit), x264 and the merging tool of your choice, those will most likely always work with future OS since people actively work on them.
The only difference is that you don't have a nice GUI to do it all.

boothp3

Addicted to [HQ]
May 4, 2009
Error

So I'm trying my hand at encoding and had some success with the base one-click no mods option but when I tried to do some customizing and used Mr. Vti's settings posted HERE I get the following (see attachment) error notification during the per-procesing phase.

Also I've noticed that although I downloaded and used Vit's sandbox download on post #883 the title bar says beta 3 not 4 as I think it is supposed to be. What am I missing is there another more recent download that I should be using or maybe a set of plugins.

Any help is appreciated since I have a new rig and a lot of ISO's I want to test it on.

Attachments

• beta 3 error.jpg
    beta 3 error.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 137
  • beta 3 error log.jpg
    beta 3 error log.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 146

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
FFT3dfilter(which isn't always required depending on the options) can be a bit tricky sometime and can't be loaded from the sandbox for some reason. Check this post to fix it: http://www.akiba-online.com/showthread.php?t=74107&page=42&p=904422#post904422

I think he forgot to update the beta number for the latest release and didn't bother uploading it again just to change the version number, but it's been so long that I can't be sure. I'm pretty sure the release in post 883 is the latest one though.