meguIV: The Official Akiba-Online DVD Encoder (v1.0.1.1)

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Have others had this problem?
Yes: http://www.akiba-online.com/forum/showthread.php?p=362499&highlight=framework#post362499

Is there some way to tell Norton to really, really allow the program, despite whatever virus definition update that must have intervened?
I don't use Norton, but there must be a way to add the cvtres.exe file and/or the "C:\download\software\megu iv\" path to the exception list. Read the Norton documentation.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
I think he's aware that it's a false positive, the question he's asking is how to get Norton to stop detecting it -- which it won't stop doing even though he's already added it as an exception.

Authorised-BMN

A Big Mai Nut
May 17, 2008
Excluding specific drives and folders

I think he's aware that it's a false positive, the question he's asking is how to get Norton to stop detecting it -- which it won't stop doing even though he's already added it as an exception.

That's right, guy. Actually, Rollyco gave me the hint I needed. There is a way to exclude specific drives and folders from the anti-virus scan. Unknown to me, this list is also used for auto protect, and also unknown to me, it might still be needed even though a program's operation is otherwise "allowed." (By "allowed," I mean that when a program is launched for the very first time, Norton warns of any suspicious behavior and asks whether to "allow" the program to continue.** Since allowing MeguIV to continue after that very first launch, I had no problems until now.)

Here's more info.: link.

Thank you both! Very helpful!
______

** In other words, similar to what Windows Vista does, except that you don't have to do it again after that first launch.

rawdawg

Nov 20, 2008
Just a fast question. This is perfectly great to use as a standalone video file encoder and not just as a dvd ripper/encoder, correct?

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
MeguIV is only good for encoding interlaced DVD content. Everything else might or might not work properly, since a lot of Megui components are missing and the core source code has been modified.

I recommend you download the official Megui and play with it.

fr0stbyte

Former Staff
Apr 8, 2008
Hey Rollyco! Ever heard of the new six-core Gulftown processors with hyper-threading due for release in the next few months? Would MeGUI be able to use that many cores? With HT enabled, we're talking about 12 threads here.. If it only wasn't that expensive..

:why:

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Even a somewhat older version of x264 like that included with MeguIV is well-tuned to take advantage of many-core and HT setups.

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
i had a couple of rips fail on me about a third of the way through the process recently for no apparent reason (i leave MeguIV on over night for obvious reasons) and decided to undo the only change i could think of which was, I had moved my torrenting disk from an internal hard disk to an external hard disk and tried doing the rip on that (i stopped my torrent client before starting). 2 nights in a row i got up in the morning to find it stopped partway through. the only variable was the above mentioned location and upon changing that back (copying the file to an internal hard disk and ripping on that) had no problems. no big deal but i just wondered if this had happened to anyone else.

eDux

Oct 24, 2008
Processing rate: 4.6 fps on my Q9550 @3,4Ghz quadcore CPU, which takes 7-8 hours for 1:30min dvd :dizzy:
Though the outcome is pretty good.:shy:

Vitreous

°
Former Staff
Sep 13, 2009
My latest rip uses this beta 2 version of TGMC. I've tested it extensively, and can report a marked improvement in the motion compensation, resulting in less "smearing". [BTW. the screencaps were from my initial MeguIV rip, you'll have to get the whole vid to see the new rip]

I've also been able to reduce the noise levels, although how much this is to do with the new beta I not so sure. This is because I've also switched to the previous sharpen limiting mode (SLmode=1, spatial rather than temporal), which allows more sharpening with less noise. The author Didee has an "in principle" issue with mode and warns of potential problem cases with it, but I haven't noticed any issues.

Overall file sizes are down due to the noise reduction (MeguIV rip was 1.44Gb, this rip is 1.19Gb)

I've also been experimenting with edge cleaning since the TGMC sharpening spoils the edges. A light clean up helps, but reduces fine detail in some scenes and can add a little dot crawl. I'm still working on this side of the script.

Still WIP, but the MeGUI script used was:
Code:
SetMTMode(2)
<input>
TempGaussMC_beta2(2, 2, 2, EdiMode="NNEDI2", SLmode=1, SLrad=2, sharpness=1.0)
chroma=true
ECrad=3
ECthr=128
ECmode="Removegrain(4,4)"
chr31 = chroma?3:1
smA=last
mP  = mt_edge(smA,"prewitt",0,255,0,0,V=1,U=1)
mS  = mP.mt_expand(mode=mt_square(radius=ECrad),U=1,V=1).mt_inflate(U=1,V=1)
mD  = mt_lutxy(mS,mP.mt_inflate(U=1,V=1),"x y - "+string(ECthr)+" <= 0 x y - ?",U=1,V=1).mt_inflate(U=1,V=1).removegrain(20,-1)
mt_merge(smA,Eval("smA." + ECmode),mD,luma=chroma?true:false,U=chr31,V=chr31)
<crop>
<resize>
Distributor()

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
A cursory glance reveals a little too much aliasing f.e. @ frames 50542-51112 (the two light fixtures). That might be SNAFU... can't really tell without having the source to play with. Otherwise looks OK.

Vitreous

°
Former Staff
Sep 13, 2009
Edge Cleaning Post-Processing

meguIVit is an addon to meguIV that includes this EdgeClean script. It's the easiest way to install and use EdgeClean. I'll keep this page up to date though.

This is an Avisynth script to reduce edge artifacts already present in a video or created during processing. Edge cleaning reduces ghosts, noise and halos and reduces filesize slightly. It's very effective on DV material. The script does take some time though so it's mainly for perfectionists. The default setting is a light cleaning mode. There is also an aggressive dehaloing mode, which was ideal for this rip with its many extremely high contrast scenes that were an over-sharpened mess.

EdgeClean 1.21
- Extract into your Avisynth plugins folder. Overwrite or delete any previous version.

Example 1: (A) Raw; (B) Edge clean only; (C) Clean plus Dehaloing
Note the ghost and dark halo all the way down her bust and front and some along her arm. Edge cleaning alone catches most of this.
[fullattach]326178[/fullattach] [fullattach]326179[/fullattach] [fullattach]326180[/fullattach]

Example 2: (A) Raw; (B) Edge clean only; (C) Clean plus Dehaloing
The halo and ghost down her back is reduced considerably, a number of other ghosts removed too - e.g. under her leg. Edge cleaning catches a little of the the inner bright ghost/halo on her side, but need full dehaloing to address the outer dark halo. Tweaking the settings could reduce it more, but would probably affect other features
[fullattach]326181[/fullattach] [fullattach]326182[/fullattach] [fullattach]326183[/fullattach]

In general, the simpler edge cleaning mode is always safe to use and will give improvements here and there. You have to be careful with full dehaloing as it can affect other features. This script can start to address very large halos (for example, the 5-pixel wide halos on Tomoe's first blu-ray) but if they're wider than real features like eyeliner or seams there's not too much that can be done. Note that pschyo-visually halos do improve sharpness, so reducing them does make for a softer look to the edges.

Usage:
[HIDE]
You can add the EdgeClean line to any MeGUI/MeguIV script just after the deinterlacing / cropping / resizing

Simple clean up is always performed - here's an example to clean 2.5 pixels around edges:
Code:
# Load source...
#...
QuickTGMC( Preset="Slow" ) # Or TempGaussMC_beta2 or whatever
SelectEven()
#...
# Resize and crop
#...
EdgeClean( Radius=2.5 )
#...

To add aggressive halo reduction 2.5 pixels around edges as well:
Code:
#...
EdgeClean( Radius=2.5, DehaloRad=2.5 )
#...

There are other settings - see the beginning of the script for details - although the defaults are pretty robust
[/HIDE]
Installation:
[HIDE]These instructions are for MeGui users. meguIV users should install using meguIVit

- Extract the script from the attached zip and put it into your AviSynth plugins folder, deleting any previous version
- Download the TUnsharp plugin (TUnsharp.dll) and put it into your AviSynth plugins folder
- The script also uses RemoveGrain and MaskTools V2, but you will already have these if you use TempGaussMC or QuickTGMC. If not get these too.[/HIDE]

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
(afain) please refer to past posts. this issue has been discussed in this thread.

edit: sorry vitreous, my bad. for some reason i thought you had posted regarding a false positive on a virus, and i thought i was replying in regard to that. after having re-checked i see that this post was at the bottom of the previous page. again apologies.
i dont want to clog this thread with another reply so i hope you see this.

CyberDancer

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
Mar 15, 2009
You need to save the code below as "EdgeClean1.0.avsi"

Thanks Vitreous for the details!

I'm not sure how to save this script, after I paste it into Template box, then I click the "New" button and save it to (A). Does it anything wrong?

I don't understand about Load DLL box, is it needed to load the "TUnsharp.dll" here (B) with your script same time, then click OK button?

Where can I change the FPS option?

And one more silly question. Where should I put the "TempGaussMC_beta2.avsi" file to right place? Is it same as "EdgeClean1.0.avsi" that plugins folder?

:puzzled:

attachment.php

Vitreous

°
Former Staff
Sep 13, 2009
Tips for *all* MeguIV users
A few different thing you can try once you have got the hang of MeguIV

Make a 60fps Rip
- Select the "Advanced Config" tab, during the "One Click" process described on the first page of this thread
- Press the "Config" button for "Avisynth Profile:"
- Delete the line "SelectEven()"
- Press the "New" button to create a new preset. Give this script template a new name, I suggest you add "60fps" to the previous name, i.e. "[IV] High Quality 60fps"
- Press "OK". Now you can choose to use 60fps or not from the "Avisynth Profile:" drop down for every rip.
- You should also do the Reduce Filesize tweak below and increase the "Quality" value by 1.2. This will keep the filesize down, but maintain the same quality
60fps is the single biggest improvement you can make to a MeguIV rip, although it will take twice as long to process and result in a bigger file​
Reduce Filesize
- Select the "Encoder Config" tab, during the "One Click" process
- Press the "Config" button for "Video Profile"
- *Important* - don't just randomly change settings in here just because the name or tooltip suggests it will help. The settings for MeguIV have been carefully chosen by Rollyco and you won't improve things unless you understand what you are doing
- However, assuming you are on the "Constant Quality" mode, you can tweak the "Quality" value. Higher values make smaller files at the expense of visual quality. 19.5 is the default for MeguIV. You can increase this value as far as 22.0 without any major ill-effects - as you increase you will get more of a filesize reduction.
- The value for 60fps should always be around 1.2 larger than the equivalent value for 30fps. I use 20.7 for my 60fps rips.
- Create a new preset by pressing "New", in a similar way to the avisynth preset described above​
Speed Up Encoding
- TGMC tweak (Edit: Use my new QuickTGMC script instead for maximum speed & flexibility, the x264 tip is still good though):
- Again in the avisynth profile config, find the line that begins with "TempGaussMC"
- Replace it with this line (first widen the editor window as some of the lines wrap):
Code:
TempGaussMC_beta2( 1,1,0, EdiMode="nnedi2", Sharpness=0.4, Sbb=0, SVthin=0.0, SLmode=1, rep0=0, rep2=0 )
- Will give you a significant speed up in the first encoding pass, but quality will be somewhat reduced (softens detail, may leave more interlacing artefacts)
- Save this setting to a new preset if you wish
- Try a quick test rip (see below) to see if it's OK​
- x264 tweak:
- Select the "Encoder Config" tab, during the "One Click" process
- Press the "Config" button for "Video Profile"
- Drag the "Presets" slider to the left a couple of stops. "Faster" will give a significant speed-up in the second encoding pass, but with a slight quality loss (slightly blurrier)​
Make a Quick Test Rip
- Again in the avisynth profile config, add a new line:
trim(0,1000)
at the end of the script
- This will encode the first 1000 frames only (around 10-20s) which will be quick. You can create rips with different settings and compare.
- Tweak the 0 & 1000 values to select different ranges of frames - you can focus on "problem" scenes if you wish
- Save this setting to a new preset if you wish​

CyberDancer, regarding the edge cleaning:
- If you haven't made a 60fps file before, I would strongly suggest you try that first (without edge cleaning). This is because (a) it's faster, and you may be perfectly happy with the results, and (b) it ensures your system performance/stability is up to the extended encoding times
- If I still haven't put you off - copy the EdgeClean code from my post, and paste it into Notepad, then save it as "EdgeClean.avsi" into the plugins folder. Don't paste the edge clean code into MeGUI/MeguIV (you should select a standard MeguIV preset instead)
- The TUnsharp.dll and dehalo_alpha.avsi should just be copied into the plugins folder. You shouldn't need LoadPlugin, as MeGUI automatically checks each "dll" and "avsi" file in the plugins folder

CyberDancer

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
Mar 15, 2009
Another error happened. Every time "Current / Projected filesize:" reached 600KB, then it stop encode progress automatically and pop up an error window as shown. Even it does not change any AviSynth script or defult setting, and clear all files in plugins folder, this message still appear at the same time.:puzzled:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Paste the contents of C:\Temp\SKIP-040\SKIP-040.avs