meguIV: The Official Akiba-Online DVD Encoder (v1.0.1.1)

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Vitreous

°
Former Staff
Sep 13, 2009
Thanks for the quick reply. To be fair I've noticed no unusual activity (firewall activity / router logs etc.) aside from the detection I noted.

Vitreous

°
Former Staff
Sep 13, 2009
Sent file for analysis. Verified as false positive. Will be removed from Antivir detection in one of the next updates. Sorry for the false alarm.

BTW. Thanks for the effort in making this mod. Much used and appreciated.

xater

Bibitur Semper
Jun 5, 2007
I tried it on a windows 7 64 bit and it didn't work, it has just the w7, nothing else has been installed (save Resident Evil 5 :p), it told me that something about avisynth was wrong (and more stuff) but I don't have avisynth there... (I have it in a different PC with no internet)

I'll see how it goes later...

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Animated content is both simpler and more complicated.

Drawn content (eg: anime) is much easier to deinterlace, so you can use less complicated algorithms (like yadif) and still get very good results.

On the other hand, anime tends to have an effective frame rate of around 15fps, despite TV shows being broadcast at 29.97fps. So you may need to work out the correct frame rates to get rid of any ghost frames.

This of course will vary depending on exactly where the animated content is from (different animators have different publishing standards), and how exactly it's packaged (DVD/NTSC is always 29.97fps, different broadcasts could have different frame rates, etc).

meGUI is capable of pretty much anything you throw at it, so it stands that MeguIV can also handle it. But TGMC (MeguIV's main feature) is really intended for IV content so it would be overkill for animated content.

Sorry for the long-winded answer. The short end is, yes with a couple catches, but it's probably overkill so if you're serious about encoding animated content, you may want to give regular meGUI a go.

joeman76

Feb 15, 2009
Tools for using MeguIV, and making ISO's.

joeman76 said:
Handyman sent me to the encoder's forum, but i wanted to shoot a quick personal message to make sure I was doing this right:
I just bought two idol dvds and I want to share them. Does that MeguIV encoder make ISO's or does it just encode DVD to an AVI?

I would like to make an ISO and a avi, since both seem to be popular, and I was just wanting some advice, please and thank you :)

Rollyco said:
Hi,

MeguIV will make a high-quality MP4 or MKV out of your DVD. The AVI container is somewhat obsolete and not supported. The MeguIV guide has more details.

First you need to rip your DVD-Video to ISO format. I recommend DVDFab HD Decrypter (the free version):
http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

Once you have the .ISO on your hard drive, you can mount it as a virtual disc with DAEMON Tools Lite:
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/eng/downloads

This will make the contents of your .ISO file appear as a new drive letter in My Computer. You can then use that new path in Step 2 of the MeguIV guide. (If you don't want to install DAEMON Tools Lite, an alternative is to extract the contents of the .ISO to a new folder with 7-Zip: http://7-zip.org/)

In the future you can ask these questions in the MeguIV thread, that way other users can benefit from your learning experience.

joeman76 said:
now when you say "obsolete" is there another AVI encoder, I should be using?

Rollyco said:
No. If you care about quality, use MeguIV which gives you two container choices. If you must have the .AVI container format (why?) you'll have to use some other kind of software which will certainly produce much poorer quality video. I don't recommend it.

Done!:bingo:

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
If you are like me and have an old computer that doesn't support SSE3 but still want to use this, I figured how to do it with the help of Rollyco and will explain it here.

Before I explain how, you need to keep in mind it's going to take a loooong time to encode on an old computer. With my Athlon 2800+ single-core with only SSE, it takes about 71 hours to encode 1h33 of video. Now, if your crazy like me and still want to do it because of the amazing quality it produce, here's how you do it:

1. Download MeguIV, copy it to the folder of your choice and start it(it will create a folder named sandbox, this is normal).

2. There are 3 plugins that are causing problem: RemoveGrainSSE3.dll, RepairSSE3.dll and nnedi2.dll.
The current NNEDI2 may work for your computer. It's probably the people with only SSE that need the new one so you could try only replacing the first 2 and see if it works.
To download the correct versions, go to the avisynth wiki(google it, it's easy to find) and search for RemoveGrain(Repair is included with RemoveGrain) and download the version 1.0b.
For nnedi2, download this version from the Doom9 forum NNEDI2.dll .

3. Extract the RemoveGrain and Repair dll compatible with your computer(if you don't know what SSE version your CPU can handle, download CPU-Z and check in the instructions section) and rename them to RemoveGrainSSE3.dll and RepairSSE3.dll.

4. In MeguIV, click on Options, settings. Go to the "Program Paths" tab and click on the ... at the right(it doesn't matter for which program it is).
Go to your windows partition(probably C:) and into the MeguIV, Avisynth 2.5, plugins folders. In the filename box, erase what's there and write * and press enter(this will show all the files in the folder).
Now copy the 3 files you just downloaded and paste them in the plugins folder of the open file window(you need to do it like this because it's a virtual folder). It will ask if you want to overwrite the existing files and click yes. Press cancel to close the open file window, exit the settings page and it's all done.

You should now be able to use it. Just follow the tutorial in the first post and you will be able to produce video of amazing quality.

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
help please

i tried meguiv for the first time and repeatedly got this error message after about a minute of encoding. i followed the instructions in the tutorial and had a look at the thread but i dont understand what the error is telling me, let alone what to do. i tried setting defaults, deleting sandbox etc but it keeps throwing this message back at me. some help please.

xater

Bibitur Semper
Jun 5, 2007
First thing I would do, is change the file path to something simple as Vid or even V, or just leave the VIDEO_TS folder in the root directory...

fr0stbyte

Former Staff
Apr 8, 2008
I've just finished a one-hour video and the results are very impressive. I'll use this for my future encodes but I gotta learn the complex stuff first. I've compared my rip from that of giogio and they look amazing. If only those Chinese rippers know this program.. Heh. I think it'll take longer for them to finish encodes and multi-cores aren't cheap.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
@isityours: out of curiosity, what OS is that, and is it 64-bit?

isityours

Sep 27, 2008
@isityours: out of curiosity, what OS is that, and is it 64-bit?

No, its Win 7 x86. Im thinking about moving to x64 but I only have 4GB of memory, as I had trouble sourcing 4GB mem sticks locally, so I'm dubious as to the overall benefit.
Thanks for this excellent tool.

Syobon

(´・ω・`)
Dec 22, 2009
"only" 4GB? I run 7x64 with 2GB and no slowdown... :)
question: how is this program compared with handbreak?

isityours

Sep 27, 2008
"only" 4GB? I run 7x64 with 2GB and no slowdown... :)
question: how is this program compared with handbreak?

i was under the impression, with my rudimentary knowledge of computers, that the main benefit of x64 architecture was its ability to utilise larger amounts of memory by much higher relative margin compared to x86. therefore the real benefits of x64 are only seen when available memory exceeds that which can be processed by x86 (3 or 4 gigs depending on your school of thought). therefore the practical starting point is 4gigs. as far as i know there is no discernable downside to not having 'enough' memory, just huge benefits when running x64 with around 8.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
i was under the impression, with my rudimentary knowledge of computers, that the main benefit of x64 architecture was its ability to utilise larger amounts of memory by much higher relative margin compared to x86. therefore the real benefits of x64 are only seen when available memory exceeds that which can be processed by x86 (3 or 4 gigs depending on your school of thought). therefore the practical starting point is 4gigs. as far as i know there is no discernable downside to not having 'enough' memory, just huge benefits when running x64 with around 8.
The memory capacity is the biggest difference. 64bit systems can support more memory on the order of 4 million times more than 32bit systems. Windows still imposes artificial limits on 64bit systems for practicality's sake; Vista x64 supports up to 128GB, and now 7 x64 supports up to 192GB.

Other differences include enhanced security. 64bit systems allow for higher security, and Windows 64bit editions require additional driver signing for certifying devices drivers.

Similarly, 64bit systems allow for 64bit drivers and applications. Windows Vista and 7 64bit editions still allow for utilizing 32bit drivers/apps natively inside Windows (without emulation), but of course 64bit drivers/apps will not work on 32bit editions of Windows. So if you have any apps that will work better in 64bit, then you should obviously go for 64bit Windows.

On the other hand, if you have any legacy devices that are no longer supported (eg: no 64bit drivers), you may decide to stick with just 32bit Windows, since going for 64bit editions will not give you any better performance.

Syobon

(´・ω・`)
Dec 22, 2009
Yes, larger amount of memory, but its not the main benefit, well, depend of your needs, x64 programs are somewhat rare, actually I think the only program i'm using in x64 architecture is 7-zip, was using MPC-HC x64 but with no DXVA, so I moved back to x86, CoreAVC registered the x64 codec but I dunno if its working since the player is x86...
When I was choosing between x86 or x64, I asked the same thing, if was worth all trouble, but windows 7 x64 found all my drivers (except the VGA), and I could run all my old x86 programs with no problem at all (only 32bit program with some 16bit code will not work), x64 is safer, why not move.

Authorised-BMN

A Big Mai Nut
May 17, 2008
Norton block MeguIV

After many successful uses of MeguIV, my Norton Internet Security 2010 now blocks it -- even though it has been instructed to allow the program. Here is the block screen, as well as the resulting Megui error. I run Windows Vista Home for what it's worth. Everything was fine until today. My last encoding was this past weekend. Have others had this problem? I guess I could turn off auto-protect to boot the program, but I wonder why that is now suddenly required. I note that cvtres.exe was mentioned above. Thanks.

attachment.php

attachment.php