Lower quality with smaller filesize VS. Higher quality with bigger filesize

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Which video sample do you prefer?

• The 18 one with a bigger size(1.26GB for full movie) and slighly better quality.

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • The 19 one with a smaller size(1.06GB for full movie) and slighly lower quality.

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
I was playing with the idea of maybe slightly reducing the quality of my encodes so they would take less space and after discussing it on IRC, the idea of making a poll came up.

Your opinion would really be appreciated and it would be even more so if you would explain why.

Here's an example of both quality(the 2 video are in the same archive):

http://jumbofiles.com/1xgcmg0g3gbw/MESS-015_qtest.rar

dknyinva

Dec 5, 2009
I couldn't tell the diff., but would prefer a better quality if at all possible. Then again the size matter since downloading takes time.

Thanks for the preview:cheer:

MDT

Apr 15, 2008
Movies should be encoded with x264 instead of xvid, the quality is night and day.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
Movies should be encoded with x264 instead of xvid, the quality is night and day.

Indeed, but that's not the topic here. Both are encoded with x264(10bit), the question is which quality setting is best to use.

I also provide an avi with my uploads mostly for compatibility's sake(and some people prefer them for some odd reason) and the size is almost always bigger than the x264 encode and is always worst looking.

Edit: Since 75% of the votes so far are for the slightly higher quality settings, I'll continue using them.

You can get the link to the thread with the full movie I used for the comparison(MESS-015) by using the link coolkevin provided below.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
I just done a brief view of the 10bit version, it looks very good (picture quality) I watched 45-60 seconds clips in various places, so my recommendations are the 10bit,
I will have to work before I starting watching it fully :perfectplan: (the perfect plan would be to skip work)

great job Samkook :cheer:

and for the lazy ones the link http://www.akiba-online.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2059764&postcount=1846 (like me):pandalaugh:

Aug 25, 2010
I prefer the smaller file size when possible. The difference for me between getting something that is 1GB and 2GB could be hours. It also makes it harder to get when the seed isn't brand new anymore, as people stop sharing it.