JavLuv JAV Browser

Yorin2

Dec 1, 2019
Do you keep all your movies in a single folder, or in individual folders? If they're all in a single folder, JavLuv will probably not work unless I make some changes.

I keep movies in a single folder and JavLuv works just fine. I use a consistent naming structure (Actress/Movie ID) for the movie, subtitles and cover art and then I can scan folders with hundreds of movies no problem.

Attachments

• folder.png
    folder.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 54

TmpGuy

JavLuv author, lesbian connoisseur
Jun 1, 2013
I keep movies in a single folder and JavLuv works just fine. I use a consistent naming structure (Actress/Movie ID) for the movie, subtitles and cover art and then I can scan folders with hundreds of movies no problem.
JavLuv has gone through a few revisions since I said that 13 months ago. ;)

Reactions: weppin

weppin

Sep 11, 2008
A few questions/comments.

1) Is there a good clean solution to combining the various split profiles of identical actresses? I.e., when I find a profile of an actress with the name of, say, X-Woman, but her real name is A-Woman, and Javluv won't simply let me rename X-woman as A-woman, because "A profile with that name already exists". So the only means to combine the profiles is to search both profiles in actress view and carefully CTRL-select just the two correct profiles, even though they are separated by hundreds of profiles and dozens of page scrolls apart. Is there an easier way to combine split/misnamed profiles?

2) Couldn't we just avoid this problem entirely by using databases that don't use nonsensical and clearly faulty names for actresses? I use JavLibrary as my main online database and I never see ridiculous names like "Even One Color" for an actress. Maybe put a user-switchable option in settings as to what database gets accessed for a specific types of info? I would certainly choose JavLibrary as my sole database for actress names. Perhaps I am oversimplifying this and there are technical aspects I am not taking into account, of course.

3) Will integration into online databases ever be implemented? I am very much looking forward to a time when Javluv can log into my Javlibrary account and mark all of my collected movies as "I've got it".

That's all, thanks once again for Javluv, it's still the best program to organize my JAV and for that I thank you!

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
A few questions/comments.

1) Is there a good clean solution to combining the various split profiles of identical actresses? I.e., when I find a profile of an actress with the name of, say, X-Woman, but her real name is A-Woman, and Javluv won't simply let me rename X-woman as A-woman, because "A profile with that name already exists". So the only means to combine the profiles is to search both profiles in actress view and carefully CTRL-select just the two correct profiles, even though they are separated by hundreds of profiles and dozens of page scrolls apart. Is there an easier way to combine split/misnamed profiles?

Probably the easiest way is to use OR in the search bar. If you type "A-Woman" OR "X-woman" in the search bar, both will show up in the search. It's then easier to CTRL-click and merge them. I realized this was a problem a while ago, so this was a big motivator in adding "or" support to search.

2) Couldn't we just avoid this problem entirely by using databases that don't use nonsensical and clearly faulty names for actresses? I use JavLibrary as my main online database and I never see ridiculous names like "Even One Color" for an actress. Maybe put a user-switchable option in settings as to what database gets accessed for a specific types of info? I would certainly choose JavLibrary as my sole database for actress names. Perhaps I am oversimplifying this and there are technical aspects I am not taking into account, of course.

JavLuv does, in fact, use JavLibrary as it's primary source for actress information. But unfortunately, there are still a lot of actresses who don't have an entry there (or an incomplete entry), and so JavLuv falls back to other databases. The problem is exacerbated if the movies you scrape don't have entries at JavLibrary either, which again, is pretty common for more specialty, obscure, or older movies.

There's also the problem, of course, that we're working with imperfect English translations to begin with. Even with someone famous like Hibiki Ootsuki, there are literally no less than three ways to spell her last name in English, and none of them is more technically "correct" than another. Add to that the myriad alt names actresses have, many of which are poorly documented, and it's not an easy problem to deal with.

JavLuv does the best it can, but at the end of the day, I'm afraid at the moment we have to rely on the user to disambiguate a lot of this conflicting info.

3) Will integration into online databases ever be implemented? I am very much looking forward to a time when Javluv can log into my Javlibrary account and mark all of my collected movies as "I've got it".

Probably eventually, but don't count on it soon. It's on the wanted list list, and I'd like to get to it someday, but as always, I make no promises about if or when new features are implemented.

LtNVxleTs

Feb 23, 2023
After scanning my folder for the files I have saved, a couple end up in the Error Log as "Unable to load metadata" & "Error importing movie <name>"

I tried copy + pasting the same movie and deleting the first file, doesn't fix the error. And I'm not sure what's wrong with the metadata one. The original files work fine, and the naming scheme doesn't seem like the issue, as the browser managed to detect and identify other files of similar naming schemes.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
After scanning my folder for the files I have saved, a couple end up in the Error Log as "Unable to load metadata" & "Error importing movie <name>"

I tried copy + pasting the same movie and deleting the first file, doesn't fix the error. And I'm not sure what's wrong with the metadata one. The original files work fine, and the naming scheme doesn't seem like the issue, as the browser managed to detect and identify other files of similar naming schemes.

Could you send me your log files? Go to Settings, scroll down to bottom, and press the "Copy log files to..." button to copy and zip up the logs, then you can send a message to me and attach that zip. Feel free to also attach one of the metadata files that's causing problems for JavLuv as well.

composite

Jul 25, 2015
Hey your software is awesome!

Is there any want to automatically comb through subtitlecat or any other subtitle database to check if movies in the library have a subtitle and if so retrieve it? thanks.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Hey your software is awesome!

Is there any want to automatically comb through subtitlecat or any other subtitle database to check if movies in the library have a subtitle and if so retrieve it? thanks.
Yes, I describe the process in detail here: https://www.akiba-online.com/threads/javluv-jav-browser.2058398/post-4629013

It's a little less polished than I'd like. At some point, I'll try to improve the process.

You can download a collection of subtitles here: https://www.akiba-online.com/thread...not-a-sub-request-thread.1466451/post-4641661

Those are all the subtitles ever posted to that thread, and was sorted by JavLuv's "Organized Subtitles" utility (visible if you check "Show advanced options" in settings.

JavLuv can then use that sorted collection to find matches in your collection.

lock_on

Jan 22, 2023
Can we sort the movies in different way for example sort it out (or filter) with the directory of the movies? I have the movies in the different drives which is not plugged in all the time, so I can't know which movies in which drive unless I open the movies detail one by one. Only then I know, if the cover image is blank then the drive for the movie I selected is not plugged in.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Can we sort the movies in different way for example sort it out (or filter) with the directory of the movies? I have the movies in the different drives which is not plugged in all the time, so I can't know which movies in which drive unless I open the movies detail one by one. Only then I know, if the cover image is blank then the drive for the movie I selected is not plugged in.
You can filter based on directory. Just type the name of the folder. If you want to be sure to exclude other movies with the same name in it, prepend a slash, but it's actually optional. So, if you've got a "Favorites" folder, just type \Favorites and it will only list files in that folder. Surround it with quotes if it's more than one word. Or, if you want multiple folders listed, separate the terms with "or". Example:

Code:
\favorites or "\external drive 1"

Reactions: Moxy and lock_on

lock_on

Jan 22, 2023
You can filter based on directory. Just type the name of the folder. If you want to be sure to exclude other movies with the same name in it, prepend a slash, but it's actually optional. So, if you've got a "Favorites" folder, just type \Favorites and it will only list files in that folder. Surround it with quotes if it's more than one word. Or, if you want multiple folders listed, separate the terms with "or". Example:

Code:
\favorites or "\external drive 1"
Ah, I see, I did't know this feature exist. I only know the function of AND, OR and NOT only. I don't see any other functiion on the wiki. Are there any other "hidden" features in JavLuv?
It is really great software, it just me that is not knowledgeable about the using of it. :pusing:

composite

Jul 25, 2015
Yes, I describe the process in detail here: https://www.akiba-online.com/threads/javluv-jav-browser.2058398/post-4629013

It's a little less polished than I'd like. At some point, I'll try to improve the process.

You can download a collection of subtitles here: https://www.akiba-online.com/thread...not-a-sub-request-thread.1466451/post-4641661

Those are all the subtitles ever posted to that thread, and was sorted by JavLuv's "Organized Subtitles" utility (visible if you check "Show advanced options" in settings.

JavLuv can then use that sorted collection to find matches in your collection.
Thanks.

Once you download that subtitle folder and unpack it, is there an automated way to link the movies to the subtitle? I think in an earlier post you said there wasn't because there's english, korean and chinese subtitles so there's no way to see which was the best. But checking if there's been an update since then.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Thanks.

Once you download that subtitle folder and unpack it, is there an automated way to link the movies to the subtitle? I think in an earlier post you said there wasn't because there's english, korean and chinese subtitles so there's no way to see which was the best. But checking if there's been an update since then.

Nope, still the same-old clunky-ass method. it'll just copy the matches to a folder you choose for later review, and you'll have to distribute them from there. It's still faster than finding al the matches by hand. But as I said, there's a lot of options, and you may have to inspect among several subtitles to find the best one, so the process is sort of tricky to automate.

Lodur

Irrutmatio Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2008
I have a question about the config/setting location of JavLuv, is it possible to customize the location of JavLuv?
e.g. make it the folder of JavLuv itself? This way I can have the same data on 2 different computers when JavLuv and the JAV is on a network location

Last edited:

bestbuy

Jan 8, 2023
Hello wanted to share an expirience with the latest install that was entirely my fault. JavLuv has a popup come up when there is anew version. I clicked on the link to the github repository to get the new msi file and started the install. Realized that the prior JavLuv was still up and closed JavLuv but not the popup. After JavLuv was installed it came up in Read Mode but there was no other version running, checked with task manager. Every time I would start running it would be in read mode. I even uninstalled and reinstalled both the prior version and back still the the same. Finally rebooted the computer which cleared up the isseu.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
I have a question about the config/setting location of JavLuv, is it possible to customize the location of JavLuv?
e.g. make it the folder of JavLuv itself? This way I can have the same data on 2 different computers when JavLuv and the JAV is on a network location
Not yet. It's on the to-do list. So... someday?

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Hello wanted to share an expirience with the latest install that was entirely my fault. JavLuv has a popup come up when there is anew version. I clicked on the link to the github repository to get the new msi file and started the install. Realized that the prior JavLuv was still up and closed JavLuv but not the popup. After JavLuv was installed it came up in Read Mode but there was no other version running, checked with task manager. Every time I would start running it would be in read mode. I even uninstalled and reinstalled both the prior version and back still the the same. Finally rebooted the computer which cleared up the isseu.

Yikes. I'm curious about something you said about closing JavLuv without closing the popup. In the current version, the popup is parented to the main window. So in theory, this should be impossible. Do you remember how you managed to do that?

Anyhow, glad you managed to resolve the issue.

shzam

Jan 18, 2013
Hey @TmpGuy two questions.
  • 1. Is there a way to display all movies without subtitles? Would be good to groom my collection and seek to find out which movies are missing subs.
  • 2. I have some fringe examples of movies with the same/similar codes and Javluv is selecting the older example

Examples for point 2 are SPSA-008 and SPSA-08. Despite my local file being SPSA-08 its is pulling the metadata for SPSA-008

bestbuy

Jan 8, 2023
Yikes. I'm curious about something you said about closing JavLuv without closing the popup. In the current version, the popup is parented to the main window. So in theory, this should be impossible. Do you remember how you managed to do that?

Anyhow, glad you managed to resolve the issue.
Hi Tmpguy -thank you fro response. I actually thought of a different hypothesis. As i said I had the prior version of LuvJav running and the popup. I started the install and saw message that it was going to close the running JavLuv application, so just clicked on x to close the app. Maybe the install had a bit on to close the runiing app but it was not there to close and i was not reset in the Cache. As mentioned even after reinstalling prior version and then installing the new one it would come up Read only. It was also interesting when I tried to use JavLuv repair gor message that the is an instance running. i cleared it out by rebooting. But maybe there should be a function that says close down all running instances. Otherwise we could just get stuck if one of the JavLuv instances becomes an orphan process.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Hi Tmpguy -thank you fro response. I actually thought of a different hypothesis. As i said I had the prior version of LuvJav running and the popup. I started the install and saw message that it was going to close the running JavLuv application, so just clicked on x to close the app. Maybe the install had a bit on to close the runiing app but it was not there to close and i was not reset in the Cache. As mentioned even after reinstalling prior version and then installing the new one it would come up Read only. It was also interesting when I tried to use JavLuv repair gor message that the is an instance running. i cleared it out by rebooting. But maybe there should be a function that says close down all running instances. Otherwise we could just get stuck if one of the JavLuv instances becomes an orphan process.

Yeah, that makes more sense. I'm not sure how much control I'll have over this, since I'm just using the standard built-in Windows Installer, but I'll at least see if I can reproduce this issue and see if there are any possible mitigations. Thanks for the report.