JavLuv JAV Browser

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

TmpGuy

JavLuv author, lesbian connoisseur
Jun 1, 2013
If I have ten or more subtitles in one folder, and my videos are not sorted at all (only sorted in folders by the month of the released videos), I will have difficulty to search the videos one by one and move the subtitles to those specific folder of the videos. Is it possible to move the subtitle files automatically to the target video folders? I see that the feature of the Organize Subtitle only move/copy the subtitle in one folder specified in the Setting only.
So, the "Organize Subtitles" features puts all subtitles in a single sorted collection. It's meant to deal with potentially thousands of subtitles. The collection I was working with comes to over 30K subtitles, available here. From there, you can determine which movies (of any language) have subtitles available by selecting all movies and picking the right-click menu option Find subtitles... Note that this option doesn't appear unless you've chosen a sorted subtitle collection in Settings. You can then deposit all matching subtitles into a single folder for hand sorting.

This particular feature is admittedly a bit half baked, and it's kind of hard to use without instruction, but it does help you find subtitles for your collection of movies.
There are a few reasons why I don't import subtitles directly into movie folders with that "Find subtitles..." command. There may be several different versions of subtitles for a given movie, in various languages, and of varying quality. JavLuv really has no way to judge that, and so it will require you to hand-sort those subtitles to figure out which one is the best quality. So the program just copies them to a single destination folder. Note that if a movie already has subtitles, it will not copy any subtitles if finds using this command.

For copying subtitles that matched movies in your collection, I think the easiest way to copy them is to search for an ID in JavLuv, go to the movie details page, then open the movie folder. From there you can copy or drag and drop the subtitle next to the movie. Sorry, but there's no automated process to do this part yet. At some point I'll probably add an "Import subtitles" command to do that final step for you.

weppin

Sep 11, 2008
...by selecting all movies and picking the right-click menu option Find subtitles... Note that this option doesn't appear unless you've chosen a sorted subtitle collection in Settings. You can then deposit all matching subtitles into a single folder for hand sorting.
This needs a big more explanation, I'm afraid. I did as you just wrote there and nothing visibly happens. Does the process begin and work invisibly? Is there any way to know it is working, and/or has finished?

Didn't there used to be TWO designated folders for subs in Settings? Now I only see one? And the process you describe above, selecting all movies and right-clicking on Find Subtitles is probably the last thing I would have imagined to do!

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
This needs a big more explanation, I'm afraid. I did as you just wrote there and nothing visibly happens. Does the process begin and work invisibly? Is there any way to know it is working, and/or has finished?

Didn't there used to be TWO designated folders for subs in Settings? Now I only see one? And the process you describe above, selecting all movies and right-clicking on Find Subtitles is probably the last thing I would have imagined to do!

No, there was only one location for subtitles. Keep in mind the subtitles at the Settings destination MUST be sorted properly using the Organize Subtitles tool (or download the subtitles I linked to), or JavLuv won't be able to find them. The subtitle folder must be organized like the following:

1674427370616.png

And there is no visible progress or status indicator as to what happens when you use Find Subtitles...

As I said, the feature is half-baked and rather confusing. I spent a lot of time on the Organize Subtitles tool, but kind of ran out of steam with Find Subtitles, and just got it minimally functional. I'll improve it at some point, but there's only so much time available.

weppin

Sep 11, 2008
No, there was only one location for subtitles. Keep in mind the subtitles at the Settings destination MUST be sorted properly using the Organize Subtitles tool (or download the subtitles I linked to), or JavLuv won't be able to find them. The subtitle folder must be organized like the following:

View attachment 3146541

And there is no visible progress or status indicator as to what happens when you use Find Subtitles...

As I said, the feature is half-baked and rather confusing. I spent a lot of time on the Organize Subtitles tool, but kind of ran out of steam with Find Subtitles, and just got it minimally functional. I'll improve it at some point, but there's only so much time available.
Okay, understood, but could you say what is the end result of using this process? What will we hope to gain by this, and where will the tangible results be located?

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Okay, understood, but could you say what is the end result of using this process? What will we hope to gain by this, and where will the tangible results be located?
So, the end results should be a number of subtitle files copied to a chosen destination folder from among all the subtitles in the larger collection that match IDs in your collection. Again, note that there may be multiple copies of a single ID, or various languages (there are a lot of Chinese subtitles), etc. From there, you'll have to figure out which ones are decent enough for you to use and sort them into the movie folders on your own.

Among the 30,000 or so subtitles in that collection I shared, for me, there were maybe 100 matches among my ~2000 movies, and most of those were Chinese and needed translating.

So essentially, steps are:
1) Create sorted collection of subtitles using the Sort Subtitles tool, or downloading a sorted collection
2) Point settings to the root folder of that sorted collection
3) Select all movies and extract matches using Find subtitles, after which you should see any matches in the folder you choose, copied from the subtitle collection
4) From there, you'll need to manually sort and copy the subtitles you want to keep to the movie folders.
5) Rescan files to get JavLuv to recognize the subtitles once it's been copied to the movie folders

weppin

Sep 11, 2008
3) ...after which you should see any matches in the folder you choose, copied from the subtitle collection
Ok everything is clear except the above point. Where exactly will the "matching sub files copied from the collection" be copied to?

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Ok everything is clear except the above point. Where exactly will the "matching sub files copied from the collection" be copied to?
Executing that command opens up a folder selection dialog. The subtitles will be copied to wherever you select in that dialog.

lock_on

Jan 22, 2023
So, the "Organize Subtitles" features puts all subtitles in a single sorted collection. It's meant to deal with potentially thousands of subtitles. The collection I was working with comes to over 30K subtitles, available here. From there, you can determine which movies (of any language) have subtitles available by selecting all movies and picking the right-click menu option Find subtitles... Note that this option doesn't appear unless you've chosen a sorted subtitle collection in Settings. You can then deposit all matching subtitles into a single folder for hand sorting.

This particular feature is admittedly a bit half baked, and it's kind of hard to use without instruction, but it does help you find subtitles for your collection of movies.
There are a few reasons why I don't import subtitles directly into movie folders with that "Find subtitles..." command. There may be several different versions of subtitles for a given movie, in various languages, and of varying quality. JavLuv really has no way to judge that, and so it will require you to hand-sort those subtitles to figure out which one is the best quality. So the program just copies them to a single destination folder. Note that if a movie already has subtitles, it will not copy any subtitles if finds using this command.

For copying subtitles that matched movies in your collection, I think the easiest way to copy them is to search for an ID in JavLuv, go to the movie details page, then open the movie folder. From there you can copy or drag and drop the subtitle next to the movie. Sorry, but there's no automated process to do this part yet. At some point I'll probably add an "Import subtitles" command to do that final step for you.
I see...
So this feature won't let us move the subtitle to each of the videos, but just sort the subtitles for every videos available in our collection for easier sorting.

Thank you for the explaination...

Moxy

JAV Archiever
Dec 22, 2009
Hey. I think i may have discovered a minor issue with the Date formatting which keeps causing me issues in the Recent added tab.

So. Its best to just show you with images. The issue is basically when I select recently added, ive noticed 1 title that just keeps saying (Unknown) where the date should be. Ive checked windows and the file is fine and Ive tried moving and even re-saving under a new wrapper but it still fails to recognise the date.

Anyway. I checked the Premiered Date and the format was in reverse for instance. 2020-06-11 was 06-11-2020. Ive tried changing in JavLuv and via the .nfo but still wont recognise the date added. I checked the site that I think JavLuv has scraped from but it looks like the date is correct.

Now I know its not really a biggy but I thought id report it.

Screenshot 2023-01-23 164151.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-23 164255.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-23 164401.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-23 164255.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-23 164255.jpg
    824 KB · Views: 44

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Hey. I think i may have discovered a minor issue with the Date formatting which keeps causing me issues in the Recent added tab.

So. Its best to just show you with images. The issue is basically when I select recently added, ive noticed 1 title that just keeps saying (Unknown) where the date should be. Ive checked windows and the file is fine and Ive tried moving and even re-saving under a new wrapper but it still fails to recognise the date.

Anyway. I checked the Premiered Date and the format was in reverse for instance. 2020-06-11 was 06-11-2020. Ive tried changing in JavLuv and via the .nfo but still wont recognise the date added. I checked the site that I think JavLuv has scraped from but it looks like the date is correct.

Now I know its not really a biggy but I thought id report it.

View attachment 3146931

View attachment 3146927

View attachment 3146930

The best way of making edits is via the Movie Details page. Can you edit the Released date there? That way the cache will get changed, and from there, JavLuv will write the changes out to the nfo file.

Note that the Released date (called Premiered in the nfo file) has nothing to do with the Recently Added field, which is set when you import a new movie in the "dateadded" field... and for existing movies before I added this feature, it slowly scans items in the background and reads the nfo file creation date. If you've got missing dates when sorting by "Recently Added", it should slowly correct itself over time. If it's not, someone else weird is going on there.

If it still doesn't show correctly, turn off "restore from backup" in settings, then delete the metadata and rescan that particular movie. That should restore a proper date for sorting by "recently added".

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxy

Crispy

Jul 12, 2008
found this jav wiki - http://sougouwiki.com/
it seems to be pretty comprehensive and easy to parse and contains series info.

is there a definitive jav source? can we make an offline copy of the data? sites like r18 are dead and many sites keep removing listings.

Not2srius

Jul 5, 2022
This may have been discussed. Is it possible to note which movies are uncensored in my collection or reduced mosaic and then sort by that designation?

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
This may have been discussed. Is it possible to note which movies are uncensored in my collection or reduced mosaic and then sort by that designation?
Yep, just add a genre tag, like "uncensored", or add that term to Notes, and then you can search for that term.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
found this jav wiki - http://sougouwiki.com/
it seems to be pretty comprehensive and easy to parse and contains series info.

is there a definitive jav source? can we make an offline copy of the data? sites like r18 are dead and many sites keep removing listings.
JavLuv uses JavLibrary.com, JavDatabase, and several other sites as scraping sources. JavLibrary.com is particularly handy, since you can often find links there to newer movies, at least for a few months after release.

Unfortunately, there is really no ONE definitive source I've found, at least, not in English (since I can't read Japanese).

DarkMask

Jul 26, 2012
JavLuv uses JavLibrary.com, JavDatabase, and several other sites as scraping sources. JavLibrary.com is particularly handy, since you can often find links there to newer movies, at least for a few months after release.

Unfortunately, there is really no ONE definitive source I've found, at least, not in English (since I can't read Japanese).

https://javdb.com/ seems to be the best at the moment but scraping it might be a little more involved due to the URL structure.

lock_on

Jan 22, 2023
When I stored all my videos in the external harddrive, is it possible to open the browser view without connecting my harddrive? I see that sometimes the browser view shows me the thumbnail of some videos but not all (sometimes, some are blank). In detail view, the cover is not showing at all, I know that in this view, the covers are stored in the external harddrive so the cover won't show. But how about the thumbnail in the browser view? Where is it stored?
Is it possible to use the software without me connecting the external harddrive so that I can see the cover of the videos?

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
When I stored all my videos in the external harddrive, is it possible to open the browser view without connecting my harddrive? I see that sometimes the browser view shows me the thumbnail of some videos but not all (sometimes, some are blank). In detail view, the cover is not showing at all, I know that in this view, the covers are stored in the external harddrive so the cover won't show. But how about the thumbnail in the browser view? Where is it stored?
Is it possible to use the software without me connecting the external harddrive so that I can see the cover of the videos?

Thumbnails of the covers are stored on your fast local drive in your accounts local storage, which is hidden by default. However, covers are never cached at full size - only thumbnail views. Since covers are stored with the movies, you can't view them if your drive is not connected. It shouldn't hurt anything, but the cover will just be blank.

I've got an old wishlist item to store nfo and covers locally, giving a cleaner appearance to movie folders, and which coincidentally would let you browse without actually having the drive connected. I'd still like to do that someday, but there are an awful lot of wishlist items, and only one of me. So as always, no promises if or when I can get to anything on that list.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
https://javdb.com/ seems to be the best at the moment but scraping it might be a little more involved due to the URL structure.
I'm not sure what you define as the "best", as English language support looks extremely spotty on that site. I've put it on a potential list for Japanese language support though. I've scraped other sites with two-stage lookup before, so it's not too challenging technically, although it's always more convenient if you can look up movies by ID directly in the URL. But adding each site to scrape ends up being a good deal of work regardless. The only thing that's a real blocker for me is if the site uses JavaScript to search or display results.