Insomnia - Who suffers from it?

peemp

Apr 15, 2007
This is the conclusion of a 2000-word article on how to fall asleep when you can't:

"So in summary, to sleep well and awake refreshed: immediately after having light dinner consisting of fish, turkey, lettuce, milk and bananas you should have a warm, lavender-scented bath for no longer than 20 minutes while listening to soothing, gentle music and sipping a glass of your choice of alcoholic beverage after which you should go to bed while avoiding any physically or mentally stimulating activities and remembering to set your favorite song to play in 7.5 hours' time. Upon waking, in no particular order you should open the curtains (or turn on the lights for you night-people), have a hot shower and treat yourself to a solid breakfast washed down with plenty of non-alcoholic fluids and your personally chosen selection of vitamin supplements."

Oooook.. lol what do you think :puzzled:

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
How you deal with insomnia will vary from person to person. Sounds like the person who wrote that article found a way to deal with it through OCD! :pandalaugh:

I have to take over the counter sleep aids pretty often or I cant get to sleep at all. Nothing special, just whatever is marked "sleep aid." I know exercise can help some people, too.

I'm assuming my lifestyle has something to do with it, but, unfortunately, I'm not in a position to make any permanent changes to my work schedule.

Rhinosaur

Outside Context Problem
Sep 23, 2007
on how to fall asleep when you can't:

"So in summary, to sleep well and awake refreshed: immediately after having light dinner consisting of fish, turkey, lettuce, milk and bananas you should have a warm, lavender-scented bath for no longer than 20 minutes while listening to soothing, gentle music and sipping a glass of your choice of alcoholic beverage after which you should go to bed while avoiding any physically or mentally stimulating activities and remembering to set your favorite song to play in 7.5 hours' time. Upon waking, in no particular order you should open the curtains (or turn on the lights for you night-people), have a hot shower and treat yourself to a solid breakfast washed down with plenty of non-alcoholic fluids and your personally chosen selection of vitamin supplements."

Oooook.. lol what do you think :puzzled:
I just have a wank!

Rhinosaur

Outside Context Problem
Sep 23, 2007
icommandyouto.jpg

12Dragons

Juunigatsu No Ryuu
Apr 20, 2010
Well, I guess you can call what I have insomnia. I get off work at 10pm and when I get home I want to do something, which usually lasts 3-6+ hours. I fall asleep and get up in enough time to go to work.

scorres

Hetero-sapien
Apr 12, 2009
12dragons, that's totally normal. A 9-5 er feels the same way.
they go to bed 5-6 hours later. When you should worry is
when on work days, you get home and don't wanna do nuthin
and you end up depressed and in bed 15 hours a day.
Some people really have it rough. Like the few who can't
count sheep without getting a b o n e r.
the OP suggest bathing twice a day. don't do it. I do reccomend
one drink a day, and exercise.
easy fixes for me have been, do a 180. lay down with your head
where your feet go., or if you still have 7 hours before work,
take a chug of Nyquil.
zzzzzz

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
the OP suggest bathing twice a day. don't do it.

ewww! Bathe/shower twice a day at least, that is just good hygiene IMO. I don't mean to be rude, depression can cause insomnia as well as making things like hygiene seem trivial.

I admit I do not sleep well lately. I have had it worse. I had a drug problem off and on when I was younger. The last draw was an ephedrine addiction/abuse problem. I burned the candle at both ends and in the middle. Lived on two or three hours a sleep a day for weeks on end. I was not just an asshole then, I was literally insane. I worked at a pace like there was no tomorrow, then went home and took on responsibilities I was unfit for. I was delusional and short tempered. It is amazing I did not kill somebody including myself. In the end I lost everything that had ever had any meaning to me just because I insisted on doing more than I was humanely capable of. I had done much worse drugs in the past but I had never had as much to lose and never lost as much.

Insomnia is most often a symptom of another more serious problem. I may not agree with the answers and suggestions already provided here. I do agree that if you suffer from insomnia you need to make some changes in your life style. Sleep is your bodies natural reaction to a healthy life. Can't sleep on a regular basis? Your body is telling you something.

scorres

Hetero-sapien
Apr 12, 2009
thx

I thought about 12 dragons at work today, and I think
he means that he's maybe coming home, and going to bed,
and then not being able to sleep for 5 hours. So he might
already be in bed 15 hours a day. I have worked all shifts for
many years each and the only way it works is if you make your morning start
2 hours before work. if you work 2pm-10pm, go to bed at 3-4 am
wake up at noon, and have breakfast. I'm just saying that going to bed at
10pm just because that's what most people do, is gonna be too hard.
Does a normal 9 to 5 er go to bed at 5? no, or ever get up 6 hours before work? no
I don't think yur depressed at all, but it's a very fine line. There are so many
easy anti-depression methods that don't involve drugs or therapy. The most
simple one is, force yourself to smile for 5 minutes a day.
I've started a new routine, ever since Captain America became my wallpaper.
LOL! My GF is gonna be jealous...
Cheers to all...