Christmas in Japan

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Starting this thread off with an excerpt from:

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/11/06/10-things-japan-gets-horribly-wrong/

Now that Halloween has come and gone, Japan is already switching to Christmas mode. Shop-fronts are being decorated with tinsel, trees are popping up in hotel lobbies, and you’ll find a plastic Colonel Sanders dressed in a Santa outfit outside many branches of KFC in the city. But for the build-up and affection for the festive season Japan seems to have, when it comes to actually delivering, Christmas here is pretty awful.

Since this is not a Christian country, Christmas Day is just another working day in Japan, so you won’t hear of many families getting together to exchange gifts first thing in the morning, or spending the afternoon sitting by the tree sipping on wine and eggnog. In fact, after December 24 – which is considered to be one of the biggest days of the year for romance and dating – everyone pretty much forgets about the season.

That is, of course, except for “Christmas Dinner”, which since the 1970s has become almost completely synonymous with Kentucky Fried Chicken. That’s right, boys and girls, Japan replaces the biggest and best roast dinner of the year with a family-sized bucket of the colonel’s finger-lickin’ chicken, with even hamburger chains like Japan’s own MOS Burger serving only chicken on the big day, and sometimes taking orders well in advance. Sure, there’s no rule set in stone saying that everyone in the world should eat roast turkey and stuffing on December 25, and fried chicken with the family can be a ton of fun, but after explaining to a Japanese friend of mine that Kentucky for Christmas is to Westerners what presenting a Japanese family with a round of Big Macs instead of traditional New Year’s food on January 1 would be like, they agreed that Kentucky Fried Christmas is probably pretty depressing for foreigners.

http://gizmodo.com/japanese-christmas-light-displays-are-simultaneously-ab-1483628019

In south Japan, Mie prefecture is rocking 7 million LED Christmas lights. Hence the awesome light tunnel above. "Illuminations" or Christmas light displays have been a big deal in Japan since the 1980s. But there's something a lot more contemplative about these lights compared to some of the spectacles in the U.S..

Kanagawa prefecture has 4 million bulbs on display and the Sagamiko amusement park there stays open later so people can enjoy them. The scenes seem less frantic and more peaceful than the record-breaking displays we normally see. Looking at these subdued Christmas lights really takes the edge off of unnecessarily aggressive holiday cheer.

An excerpt from:

http://www.japantoday.com/category/arts-culture/view/the-true-meaning-of-japanese-christmas

It’s December again in Japan, and that means that Christmas trees are sprouting up outside store fronts while festive advertisements of cakes adorn the trains and convenience stores across the land. The usual mercilessly repetitive jingles that fill department stores and supermarkets are replaced with mercilessly repetitive carols for this one special month.

However, not everyone can share in the festive joy of a Japanese Christmas filled with hallowed traditions such as fried chicken and bowling. Christmas in Japan is also a day for lovers, and as of 2011 it was estimated that over 60% of young men and women would be single for the holidays and that number certainly hasn’t appeared to have changed recently.

Another short excerpt from:

http://www.punipunijapan.com/japanese-christmas-cakes/

With Christmas coming up soon, are you curious to know what Japanese people do for Christmas? Japanese people usually celebrate Christmas by eating a delicious クリスマスケーキ (kurisumasu kēki – Christmas cake)!

123003138882616414975.jpg

Reactions: 1 person

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
kongosaka2.jpg

PHOTO BY KAMASAMI KONG

Nakanoshima Park in Osaka is lit up for Christmas. The 3-km-long park, tucked between two rivers, has been drawing thousands of visitors each night during the Christmas season.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
displaywin.jpg

REUTERS/Yuya Shino

A child looks at a luxury brand store window with a Santa Claus display in the Ginza shopping district in Tokyo.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Mum’s the word for gospel choir

DTMANAGE.000000020131224131108183-1.jpg

December 25, 2013

The Yomiuri Shimbun

A choir made up of mothers has been singing gospel songs ahead of Christmas.

On Saturday evening, about 30 members of the Mammy Joy’n Gospel Choir sang “Amazing Grace” at a Christmas tree lighting ceremony held near Nerima Station in Nerima Ward, Tokyo. Many shoppers stopped to listen to their vibrant singing.

The choir was established in 2011 and is based in Nerima and Toshima wards. All 56 members are mothers. Yuumi Yamanobe, an instructor at a vocal school, created the group and recruited members through ward bulletins and the Internet.

There are various theories about the origins of gospel music. Hymns, sung by black people outside whites-only churches, are believed to be the root of gospel music. Yamanobe, who studied music in New York and was able to pop in and sing with gospel choirs there, saw firsthand how churches and gospel music created community bonds.

After Yamanobe returned to Japan, she decided to create a choir for mothers. “Gospel music has energy for living, and I thought mothers would enjoy singing, which could help cheer up their children, families and communities,” she said.

Kaoru Sato, a homemaker living in Toshima Ward, took her 8-year-old daughter to one of the choir’s concerts in the spring of 2012. After seeing mothers holding their babies, while singing and dancing on the stage, Sato decided to join the choir on the spot.

When Sato sang “Ue o Muite Aruko,” which is popularly known in the English-speaking world as “Sukiyaki,” in her first concert at a nursing home in Nerima Ward, an elderly man in a wheelchair wept with joy. She felt that even though she was not a good singer, she could convey her feelings to the audience by singing with emotion.

Megumi Onishi, a homemaker from Nerima Ward, joined the choir to make friends with children in September. Her 1-year-old daughter is cute, but Onishi was so busy taking care of her that she had little time to meet her friends or to spend time by herself. As she felt unhappy, she participated in choir practice with her baby, and other mothers gave her advice on child rearing. Currently, Onishi also enjoys singing while she does housework.

Yamanobe is preparing for the group’s next concert. “I’ll create an event where both Christian and non-Christians can enjoy our music,” she said.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
westintree2.jpg

JAPAN TODAY

A toy train comes out of a tunnel in front of a Christmas tree in the lobby of The Westin Hotel Tokyo. Hotel officials say the tree is in great demand as a backdrop for wedding photos.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
I wondered if that whole KFC for Christmas dinner thing was true. Perhaps turkey is expensive in that country,maybe the Japanese prefer fried chicken to turkey,maybe its too much meat for the Japanese or maybe turkeys do not breed well in Japan.If I was going to do fried chicken for dinner I would prefer Popeye's chicken,maybe a Church's spicy chicken. In my family we rarely do traditional Christmas dinners for Christmas, a lot of times its ribs, lasagna, beef stew or something else.Maybe we might do a ham dinner for Christmas.

Mar 28, 2008
I wondered if that whole KFC for Christmas dinner thing was true. Perhaps turkey is expensive in that country,maybe the Japanese prefer fried chicken to turkey,maybe its too much meat for the Japanese or maybe turkeys do not breed well in Japan.If I was going to do fried chicken for dinner I would prefer Popeye's chicken,maybe a Church's spicy chicken. In my family we rarely do traditional Christmas dinners for Christmas, a lot of times its ribs, lasagna, beef stew or something else.Maybe we might do a ham dinner for Christmas.
Or maybe if we stopped over thinking things like an imbecile maybe u would see that the Japanese just really love their fried chicken, thus the KFC christmas big sale.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I wondered if that whole KFC for Christmas dinner thing was true.

Of course it is true. Why else would I post it? Do you think I don't check my facts? Not saying I am perfect but in the news section I strive to be more thorough than usual. Still...if you need more references I can provide them (3 links enough or do you want more?):

http://www.dannychoo.com/en/post/25944/Why+Xmas+KFC+in+Japan.html
http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/foo...sed-with-kentucky-fried-chicken-on-christmas/
http://japanese.about.com/od/namikosbloglessons/a/Kfc-For-Christmas.htm

If I was going to do fried chicken for dinner I would prefer Popeye's chicken,maybe a Church's spicy chicken.

You are from the south aren't you? no worries, I luv fried chicken too. Lots of good take out joints to get it and usually the best are the ones that are Mom and Pop owned, if you can find them.

Or maybe if we stopped over thinking things like an imbecile.......

You couldn't think of a nicer way to say that? On Christmas yet? Truly you could work on being nicer to others. Just because you are on the right side of an issue doesn't give you the justification to be rude to those who are on the opposite side. That is a good way to ruin a thread and start a nonsensical ranting party. People that make a habit of doing this are considered trolls. You are better than that.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
Of course it is true. Why else would I post it? Do you think I don't check my facts? Not saying I am perfect but in the news section I strive to be more thorough than usual. Still...if you need more references I can provide them (3 links enough or do you want more?):
I wasn't questioning you or your sources. I heard about this before.

You are from the south aren't you? no worries, I luv fried chicken too. Lots of good take out joints to get it and usually the best are the ones that are Mom and Pop owned, if you can find them.

I haven't really found any mom and pop owned fried chicken places that stand out in my city.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I haven't really found any mom and pop owned fried chicken places that stand out in my city.

Cities do have a tendency to gobble up such valuable resources, check the burbs. Popeyes is great but overall they are not the most well run establishments, keep an eye on the sanitary conditions and undercooked chicken (a problem where I am so I don't go there anymore). Churches is pretty good, though they tend to hold on to old chicken so getting a dry piece is not unheard of, (not a problem at busier establishments).

Chain restraunts in general, and I mean every single one of them, pale in comparision to a well run privately owned restraunt. This does not include all restraunts but overall there is more attention to quality, sanitation, employee input, and just about everything you can think of. Restraunt chains, such as Darden, are so engrossed in corporate drama, rigmarole, rules and regulations, that they forget what a good restraunt is supposed to be about.....good food, good service and a good atmosphere. True, money can imitate these things but you can't buy what you can't put a price on. With a privately owned family restraunt it isn't just the about bottom line, that restraunt is their life and those they employ are often considered part of the family.

I hope you had a Merry Christmas and here is wishing you a Happy New Year

Attachments

• hanging-Christmas-wreath.gif
    hanging-Christmas-wreath.gif
    12 KB · Views: 5,156
  • 3-animated-wreath.gif
    3-animated-wreath.gif
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,203
  • santa-checking-his-list.gif
    santa-checking-his-list.gif
    49.7 KB · Views: 8,094
  • sledboy2_e0.gif